JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sign in to follow this  
Hope

A Change of Plans | St James Sq. 6th of April afternooon (open)

On St. James Square, edging Hyde park, one finds the more fashionable houses of London, a step higher from Piccadilly Street. The houses are not numbered but known by their inhabitants.

A young page had alerted Sophia’s doorman, who now looking out to the street saw an open air carriage parked with ladies waiting.  

It was the Duchess Monmouth (and Buccleuch in her own right) sat in her uncovered carriage), next to her Cousin Agnes.  It was a lovely day for it, though windier than the day before. Over their knees was a luxurious fur. The women talked together, as they awaited the arrival of Lady Toledo, there was an impromptu change of plans after some private discussion. On Sunday Sophia had revealed her condition to the Duchess, and so that changed everything. 

OOC: if anyone passing by wants to interact with the waiting ladies please do!  

Sophia wasn't really looking forward to sitting through a boring meeting at Bedlam, but she did want to find out what was going on at that horrible place. Maybe one of the council members would let a vital piece of information slip, forgetting that they were there. She doubted the warden would make that kind of mistake. He had made one once before, when she and the Duchess had first visited, and he was clever enough to be on his guard.

After returning from the Queen's Chapel, she changed out of her simple gown and into an elaborate silk confection of cornflower blue liberally adorned with white Venetian lace and iridescent pearls. Her hair sparkled with the pearl combs that held her coiffure in place. As usual, several long ringlets had been left loose to cascade down her back. Her hair was two thick and too long to wear completely up. It would look ridiculous, rising so high, but it would make her appear taller. Unknown to her, such hairstyles would become all the rage in less than a century's time.

Anna had just fastened a necklace made of five stings of pearls around her neck when a servant entered and announced that a carriage was parked in the driveway. They're here already! The petite blonde took a moment to look into her full-length mirror. Pearls also gleamed in her earlobes and around her wrists. She wanted her ensemble to radiate wealth today so that the men at the meeting wouldn't have any doubt that she would be able to make a huge donation. And she believed that she had succeeded while appearing tasteful rather than flamboyant.

After donning a lilac silk cloak with three bands of pearls above the ruffles that hemmed the edges,  she left the house and strolled toward the open carriage. There were two ladies inside, the Duchess of Monmouth and her cousin Mistress Dundas. “Good afternoon,” she greeted them. “Are the two of you ready for the challenge ahead of us?”

As fine as it was, it was also windy - and so as they waiting in the open carriage Anne realised that it was too early in the season for it yet.  Thus the Duchess's hair style was looking a little windswept when Sophia arrived - but her smile was sunny still. 

"That colour looks perfect on you." Anne greeted cheerily, while strawberry blonde Agnes said "Good afternoon Lady Toledo.".   

One of the footmen had jumped down and opening the door turned down the step for the Ambassadors wife. 

"Yes indeed, though we are not about that challenge we have planned, but another challenge you shall face instead."  Anne thought herself to be marvellously secretive to say it like that. Her fair eyebrows rose as she met Sophia's gaze.   

“Thank you, Your Grace,” Sophia replied, smoothing down her skirt so that it wouldn't flutter upwards in the wind. It wouldn't be proper for the footman to get a glimpse of her ankles as he helped her into the carriage. Though she noted that the breeze had mussed her friend's hair a bit, she was too polite to say anything about it. When she had first arrived in England, she might have pointed it out, but she was finally learning when not to be blunt. “The two of you look lovely as well.”

She sat across from them, frowning slightly at Anne's words. “We're not going to the meeting at Bedlam?” she asked. “Has it been canceled?” It seemed the Duchess had planned something else instead and was being quite mysterious about it. This made Sophia all the more curious. “Are you going to tell me what it is?” Her ice-blue eyes sparkled with anticipation. “Or is it a surprise?”

“I have thought better of it.” Anne replied as Sophia settled into the carriage. 

The trio of blondes made a pretty sight in the carriage, spring sunshine putting a glow upon their cheeks and their lace and ribbons fluttering in the breeze.  “On account of your condition. Everyone knows stresses and upset is to be avoided while with child, I should have thought of it as soon as you told me.  Bedlam and it’s troubles shall have to wait.”

Anne had been too focussed at the time. In fact it had been Young Agnes that had later pointed it out to her cousin.  Agnes was inclined towards learning on such things, she was even quite studied in anatomy, having even attended Gresham with his Majesties daughter in ’76*  

“Yes, it is a surprise!” Anne cheerily revealed, “Oh you can try guess if you like, but I shall not tell you what it is till we are there.”

* Anne Palmer was given special dispensation from the King to attend a disection.

OOC: feel free to have Sophia guess away during the carriage ride, next post I’ll have us arrive and put you out of your wondering-what-misery

Sophia appreciated the Duchess' concern, but she didn't see how attending a meeting or discovering that the patients were being neglected could hurt the baby. She already suspected that there was something untoward going on and she wouldn't be surprised if her misgivings turned out to be true. However, if she found out the patients were being tortured … Her stomach lurched at the very idea. Maybe it was a good idea to let that investigation go for now.

Anne seemed quite pleased with whatever she had arranged. Whatever could it be? The young Countess loved surprises, as long as they were pleasant. She couldn't think of anything particularly adventurous that she was still able to do, but her friend knew London and its wonders a lot better than she did. “Are we going shopping?” Even pregnant ladies could shop. “Or visiting some place I have not yet been? I do hope you're not taking me to the Tower. I met a lady who wants to come with us when we visit the menagerie as the first event of our Adventuring Society.”