JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sign in to follow this  
Robert Saint-Leger

The Big News | 2nd April Evening

After his ride where he had run into Sir George, Beverley had gone home to clean up and prepare for dinner. Drizzle had interfered with the rest of his ride and he had ended up a bit muddy by the time he'd gotten home again. He and Lady Beverley had discussed telling his parents that she was with child tonight now that the rush of the return to court had a day to settle. When he had returned he had soaked for awhile, enough to have more hot water added twice. He was always worried about being wet or getting chills. 

It was some time later that he came down to the parlour where they usually gathered before going in to dine, unable to keep something of a knowing and boyish grin off his face. He was very pleased with himself, and if he had not been ridiculously proud of his choice in wife and in-laws already, he was surely brimming with pride now. Now, he felt quite an attachment to Lady Beverley, who had proven herself quite capably in all necessary areas.

Little did Beverley know that he was going to be getting other news from his master the Lord High Admiral before too long too; the viscount had yet to find out that he was being given a position with the Ordnance. If he knew that news as well, Beverley would have felt on top of the world!

His mother was sat in her favourite chair near the fire, despite it being spring these big old houses were notoriously cool.  She was dressed for dinner, and had just been adjusting the sit of her gloves when footsteps in the hall alerted her to her sons approach.   Her smiling eyes were already turned to the door as he entered, and surely sparkled at the sight of her handsome young son.   

"My dearest boy, you looks so well this evening." as natural as the sunrise she tipped her cheek for him to kiss when he approached. 

Brooke looked up from the book he was reading when Beverley entered the parlor. He looked pleased about something, fairly bursting with it, which brought a smile to his father's face.

“Indeed, you do look well, Son,” he said.

Beverley was quite bursting in anticipation which he could not keep from his face. His thoughts were generally fairly evident in his demeanor.

"Thank you, Mama, and don't you look very well too," he said, obliging a kiss.

"I think my lady wife will look even more well than I, whenever she comes down," Beverley replied to his father, with a silly grin. 

It did not take long for that very thing to happen, for shortly after Beverley arrived, so did his wife. She, too, seemed quite pleased about something. He took her hand in his and grinned. Beverley was now beyond blissed with his choice in wife, and he was also quite equally proud of her as he was of himself. He almost wished he had invited her parents over for dinner too! Then it could have all been done at once!

"Thank you darling." Mamma St Leger replied, it was always pleasing when someone loved noticed the trouble gone to, it made up for sufferance of the pinch of corset. She looked over to her husband, had he noticed the new gown too?  

But Beverly was acting oddly, so pleased with himself. Had he been shopping also, was that a new justicorps perhaps.  And what did he mean his wife was going to look even better than he.  Saints alive you've not been upon a reckless shopping spree have you! She'd not mind one bit herself, but Brooke, well he was ever intent on monitoring their sons spending habits.  

Thinking she was making an excuse for her dear boy, she replied, "Oh I'm to blame for that for a certainty."  Yes Margret would fib and claim that she’d insisted in any new costumes worn by either – though come to think of it Beverley’s ensemble looked exceedingly familiar, and he entirely comfortable with it, hardly the crisp new overstarched discomfort like she currently experienced.    

OOC: Beverley please do 'Blount' wee wifey when she's ready!  

Brooke had noticed his wife's new gown. He planned to compliment her on it later in the evening, when they were alone. He also saw that Beverley had bought himself some new clothes as well. His son's behavior had been exemplary lately, and he wasn't going to complain about his spending unless he went completely overboard … or started gambling again.

As shrewd as ever, the Earl believed he knew why Beverley was so happy and why he said that his wife would look better than he did. He was hinting at the news to come. Brooke subtly scrutinized the young woman as she joined her husband. They were the future of the St Leger family and he hoped their number was about to increase by one. He greeted her cordially and looked expectantly at his son.

For his part, Beverley was utterly confused by the interplay between his parents. He would have looked down at his justacorps, which was not brand new for Saturday at home, had he any idea that the two of them were thinking about his clothes. He looked to his mother, utterly confused, as she said that it was surely her fault. His brow furrowed. He was quite certain that his lady mother had nothing to do with his wife being pregnant! 

Such a thought was the complete antithesis to pregnancy. In fact, such was it that he was totally stunned stupid for almost a solid minute, rescued only by his lady wife taking his hand after greeting his parents in his absent-minded interim. 

"You have not told them without me," she whispered. "Husband?"

Beverley blinked and then smiled and chuckled as he completely forgot about the bizarre comment of his mother. He shook his head no. 

With quite a pleased look, he finally said, "Mary is with child."

"We wished to be sure and to be all together to tell you, but it is a few months now," Mary added. 

It would not have been the first time Beverly was confused of the workings of mind that was his mothers. Well meaning - always. Successful - not so often.

The disfunction between Lord and Lady Brooke might have been showcased more if not for the timely arrival of Mary, of whom Beverly had promised radiance. "My dear..." Margret greeted her warmly and offered her cheek for daughterly kiss, "Told us?  Why was just saying how especially fine you shall look tonight, we were anticipation the first viewing of a new dress, weren't we my dear." she looked towards her husband with a flare of eyes as she came to realise that this might be the moment she'd been praying for!

But she was not going to hazard a guess, she'd asked just too many times already.

And then just like that her boy, her only son, her dearest prize and treasure let the words tumble out of his mouth. It was a sheer and utter delight that propelled Lady St.Leger from her chair!

"Did you hear that Robert?!" unbridled joy was within her voice, Margret clasped Marys hands, "Well done my darlings. Well done!" turning about to address her Lord Husband once more, "We shall soon have another branch upon the tree of Brook. Our prayers shall be answered..." turning back to Beverly she quizzed, "so next Christmas I shall need an extra stocking for the hearth!  Oh my heart. My dear dear boy." 

Brooke had not understood his wife's odd comment either, but sometimes ladies just prattled on about nothing so he had chosen to ignore it. It certainly wasn't her fault that their daughter-in-law was with child, if that was what Beverley wanted to tell them. When it was apparent that their son had not been speaking of his wife's new gown, he saw understanding dawn on Margaret's face right before Beverley made the announcement his parents had been hoping for.

The Earl stood up as well, and closed the distance between himself and the two young people. “Of course I heard,” he said. “Congratulations, Son,” he said, smiling more broadly than he usually did as he clapped the boy gently on the back. Beverley would be able to see the pride and joy in his eyes, even if he didn't say much. Margaret could fawn over Mary. That was a woman's job. “Our prayers have been answered indeed.”

"We are quite happy it was done so quickly," for that was a prime thing for ladies to gloat about within the nobility. Proving oneself an asset to the having of children elevated both families. Mary had proven herself well in that regard, but Beverley knew there were yet many risks. He did not wish to worry her, though, so he said little of it. 

Beverley grinned, not surprised at all by his lady mother's reaction. "We hope so, God willing," Beverley replied, imagining all the things his lady mother was going to gift this very important child. 

He was not sure why his father said so little, though he looked happy and proud enough. Congratulations, that's it?!? he thought. This was the most important task of his life! Congratulations and a pat on the back was not precisely the reaction he was expecting. Brooke was not generally a man of few words and few emotions with his family, but perhaps he was just hungry. Perhaps he should have said something after they had supped instead. 

Trying not to let the tempered response bother him, he focused instead on his mother, "You shall have to start the embroidery now for our little Ulcombe to come." He chuckled at him, pretty impressed with his rather unimpressive wordsmithing. Of course, there would be no talk of it potentially being a girl! "And wait before you tell any of your friends, for we have yet to tell Mary's parents." And he would need to tell Cumberland too, for his master would be quite pleased for him, and Beverley would not wish him to hear it from another either!

"Oh, yes, and they must hear it from us too! I cannot wait to tell my brothers too, for Herbert thinks himself the only impressive one!" Mary added. Her brother was of similar age and the youngest member of the Royal Society. Being the heir, he was quite lauded, aside from when he was setting off fireworks at a court event quite dangerously! "And now my sisters shall surely make good marriages too!" For not only had her mother bore many, many healthy children, but now Mary was quickly pregnant too, and that spoke very well for them.

Margret laughed with happiness, "But of course we shall not spoil the surprise for you. Aha, but look at your Papa Beverly, you have him almost lost for words!"  While she knew her husband could be quite demonstrative when at his ease, he and Beverly had been very close and showing affection physically had been common between them, but this news had plainly caught him by surprise  A bearish embrace was surely forthcoming!

Having refrained from being first to physically accost their boy, Margret then moved to embrace Beverly herself (swapping places with Brooke who might approach Mary)   "Tut tut, I begun embroidery for a christening gown the same week as your engagement my dear"

Yes, she had vision! Incidentally, so did her Lord Husband.

"But how shall we celebrate?" Turning to Brooke she put the question forth, before smiling warmly back to her daughter-in-law. "Dear dear Mary, you are such a charming addition to the family," Mary's comment about her sisters increased odds at 'also' making fine matches was a gently made compliment to the St Legers, and a clue that she was very happy with her new family, "We can be sure too that  'Little Ulcombe's' Aunt and Cousins shall be excited of the news also!"    

His wife had pretty much expressed his own sentiments with her gushing praise, and Brooke saw no need to repeat her words or any variations thereof, which was why his response, while enthusiastic in its own way, was less effusive. “I'm not at a loss for words,” he told Margaret with a smile. “You have already said exactly what I was thinking.

“And of course we will not tell a soul until you give us leave to do so.” Beverley was having his moment with his family now; Mary should have hers as well. He congratulated his daughter-in-law and then Margaret mentioned celebrations and telling their daughter and grandchildren the good news as well. “Perhaps a special dinner can be arranged after Mary's parents are informed and we can tell the rest of our family then.” To his wife: “I will leave the arrangements to you, my dear. No expense should be spared.”

Stepping close to Beverley again, he pulled his son to him and enfolded him in an affectionate hug. “I am proud of you, my boy. You have done very well and I hope that this is only the first announcement of many to come in future years. If you and your wife need anything at all, just say the word and it will be yours.”

Beverley was too excited about his wife being pregnant to notice that his parents had basically given him a monetary carte blanche. He might have noticed that first prior to his marriage and Mary's well-timed skill in womanhood (for he thought it was skill to fall pregnant), but now it was eclipsed by the thought of having done his most pressing task so quickly. He was now thinking of populating the main branch of the family with many children for many future unions far moreso than he was thinking of coin.

A big dinner just for he and Mary would be quite the thing. Generally such things made him nervous, but it was hard to be nervous when one was so accomplished! Beverley put quite a bit of esteem in continuing his line since he had known since he was a little boy that he was the last otherwise. No more Brookes unless he made them and he had! So he rather felt a little bit like a saviour in the moment - not in a Christ-like way, but in a Bevsey way. The last year he had done very well and even though he was not proud of his brief separation from his parents; it had at least proven that he would not ruin himself (or them all) off on his own. To some degree at least. 

When his father did finally give him a generous embrace, he returned it quite heartily. "Thank you, Papa! Now you needn't worry that I shall be the only one left, for dear Mary has shown us that I shan't be." Forget the part where his parents had also had a horde of children and only he and Annie were left; at this very point in time, that all seemed quite insignificant. "And nor have any of my sicknesses been a problem." There was common medical wisdom that too bad or too frequent of sicknesses could impact the ability to have children, although much of that was more blamed on the woman, and now Beverley surely knew that his constitution had not ruined all their chances. 

"We should have a celebration with both families together, perhaps over Easter or after it, before all the attention and activity will be too much. Mary deserves the attention." He wished her to know that he was her largest advocate, as a husband should be. 

(OOC - I think we can wrap this up ;) There's always time for more threads later in the timeline! Thanks!)

And once her husband was done with embrace of son, Lady Brooke gushed to claim one from her husband also.

"Our prayers have been answered." she crooned, smiling broadly as she accepted the responsibility of a grand dinner party.   Returning to the mother-to-be's side, "Mary and I shall take delight in planning it together," she warmly included, and we must invite His Grace also don’t you think, and perhaps one or two others.  We ladies shall look after all of that."  

The men spoke together more, she could see from the light in Bervely’s eyes and flush on his cheeks that he was exquisitely happy.  

Margret was already thinking that the dining room was too small, perhaps they would use the ball room instead. Or, perhaps an outdoor fete might be the thing, with one of those enormous tents, it would be so bright and airy, so very spring.  "Oh but my dear we had best sit you down." She begun moving, arm in arm with Mary, through to the dining room. "You are caring only for yourself now, but the future of Brooke.  Somewhere in the house I have a book that my mother game me when I was with child.  With all the best instructions on how to proceed when in your condition. We must surround you with peace and happiness, with quite nothing that might excite or agitate you. Oh my dear, I am so happy."  

OOC: Beverly can find out (temper) his mothers dinner party plans via Mary over the coming days.   :)  Yay! 

“I never had any doubt that you and your wife would have heirs.” Brooke replied. Their daughter had no problem churning out three sons. And all Beverley had to do was provide the sperm. Mary would bear the child, and her own parents had several of them. The heartaches that he and Margaret had suffered would not be passed on to their children. The ever-growing Brooke dynasty was secure.

He was also pleased to hear that Beverley had not been sick lately. Marriage seemed to be good for him. The Earl agreed with his suggestion that Mary's family be included in the celebration. His wife seemed excited to plan it with their daughter-in-law's help. Such things were better left to the ladies.

Brooke hugged his son again, happier than he had been in quite some time.

Sign in to follow this