JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Admiration Alcove

Hope

Henry Grey

I better take a measure of his character. I do not want any of my equipment, or my notes, stolen. The scientific world was a thug’s world.

Teehee, love it (expecially as it's a mirror of Newtons paranoia I've been writing.) 😄  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!!!!

Glass was expensive. Lenses and mirrors were ground by hand. Sure, Henry has the money to buy more raw materials, but it would take him weeks to make a new set of his stuff.

If I got things right, many scientists of the age used a cipher.

If you add the Newton-Liebnitz controversy, plus the Newton-Hooke enmity, it IS a thugs' world! 😜

Edited by Henry Grey

Tots. 

Season 1, just forever ago, I wrote Liebnitz visiting London.  I think that at the time the genre was ahead of it's time.  lol. This one however might be a wonderful science-y season!  *fingers crossed*

On 3/31/2019 at 9:05 PM, Hope said:

Tots. 

Season 1, just forever ago, I wrote Liebnitz visiting London.  I think that at the time the genre was ahead of it's time.  lol. This one however might be a wonderful science-y season!  *fingers crossed*

Hope-fully you are correct! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yet more giggles from our witty writers today!   Here is Definace's snickersnort 

He did, after all, have a mother who made all manner of concoctions. Besides, what was the worst it could be? Misrule had no reason to poison him and such an overt effort would surely be more like a joke than a murder attempt. Had it been one of his cousins, he would have thought it some form of laxative...

Oh those boys! 

😄

"I find the smell not to my liking and I am afraid I should carry it all afternoon and thus be quite unpleasant. But I appreciate the thought." 

play on my sweet! play on!

Nicci no doubt will have a retaliation quick at hand but Cordelia would not allow this to get out of hand. Besides the Lessons had barely even started!

Cordelia is on FIRE!

If Mary had been admiring his backside then Charles had not noticed, nor would he have thought it anything other than natural had he noticed - in his own opinion, Charles had exquisitely formed hindquarters.

My family was in the beef cattle business when I was younger... the mental image I got from this was... unexpected! 😜

Elvira Norrington had already noticed the middle-aged, overweight man wearing an outfit that had been out-of-date for some time, but she was too busy to approach him and the lady who was with him, probably his daughter because of the age difference between the two.

Poor Henry! How is he going to find a bride, if he is seen as middle-aged, overweight, and already a father? 😜

• 1 month later...

I have been perusing some of the older posts and came across this OOC post from Hope describing her solution for selecting a random character that might have overheard a conversation.

It provided a real LOL moment as I envisioned Hope, eyes closed and tongue sticking out in concentration, frantically wiggling her mouse back and forth and what could have occurred if someone walked in at that moment!

OOC: you'd not specified going anywhere to talk in private.  I felt like we needed to identify who was next to them at this point, so Davina can do damage control if she is inclined.  To do that I went into the Char Profiles forum, closed my eyes, moved the mouse around in a frantic sort of random while clicking many times, then, when opening eyes again I was still in the forum but in an actual char listing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since the unforeseen event that had lead to her once rose-tinted mind becoming marred by fear as well as gloom, the young Dunbar had only hazarded leaving her quarters an amount that could be counted with the fingers of a hand. She found herself attempting to occupy her ever disturbed mind with the reading of light-hearted novels and through making polite conversation with her maid. However, not one of the bids to free her thoughts had proved to be effective as she still found herself kept awake at night. Being in possession of what some could consider a wild imagination was not working in her favour for one of the first times in her existence, as her being was rattled by notions of demonic creatures - fangs bared and all. Cooped up in her dwellings, even her usual act of day dreaming with the help of an object or piece of art would be disrupted by less than savoury thoughts. 

It was not of her character to shy away from the opportunity to explore, especially with her desire of travelling to a new area being fulfilled. The circumstances surrounding her partial solitude were certainly understandable as well as provoking unfamiliar emotions for Iona to deal with. 

The withdrawal that she experienced was very brief as she gradually processed the loss as well as coming to the realisation that she could not lock herself away for all of eternity. The realisation was prompted through a little encouragement from her maid and confidant. 

Upon departing her lodgings she was greeted by the warm embrace of the burning ball of gas stationed in the Lord's abode. For a Scot, the sun was always welcome whenever it decided to make its presence known. Especially when accompanied by blue skies. Too often were the lands of Caledonia home to endless periods of rainfall as well as appearing dull underneath the mass of grey often looming above. There were those that believed that the less than pleasant weather enhanced the land's rugged beauty, however Iona was of the opinion that sunshine was a better accompaniment for the country. 

With her spirits slightly raised and hellbent on seeing more of the palace, Iona found herself wandering around various corridors until she found herself in what she assumed to be one of the main areas of the palace judging by the sheer size of it. Her eyes darted around as she took in the structures that decorated the ceiling as well as noting the many fireplaces, an inquisitive twinkle in her eye she decided to pad into one of the rooms adjoined to the area. 

As she minced into the room she was met with the voice of a lady who had made a rather unexpected query. 

"What for?" she chose to pipe up.

Congrats on a mavelous first post Iona - with tantalising clues to her characters nature, and too to what the writer herself is bringing to the game!  Bravo! 

From Hope

“It’s the Irish whiskey from county Louth.” She passed him a glass, he might recall he’d purchased an entire cask of it not long before he’d left*.    

OOC: I wondered what was in the Mountjoy decanter?

This is what I love about this game. The diligence and attention to detail of the Moderators is astounding.

The reference that Hope dug up was a side comment made by my character in another player's thread posted over 7 years ago. 

She is a delight to post with.  

Edited by Charles Blount