JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Roarsomeness at the Lion | Lunchtime 1st April [Open]

Lord Grey thanked Sir John for his permission with a nod. He did the same with Arthur for his suggestions. The sightseeing trip could be a very pleasant event. Besides, it would be an opportunity to pick the lady's brains, so to speak. Pick from the tree of wisdom, was a proverb from the Orient he made it a point to pursue.

“I bow to your wisdom, Lady Lucas. I will make it a point to manage my time as efficiently as possible”, he commented to her initial response. “Would you be amenable to Monday morning perhaps, or would Tuesday suit you best?” Henry did not like to leave decisions for the future. If they set a date and time, he would make sure he arrived at the appointed place, preferably five minutes in advance, if not ten.

“As for your address, would you mind?” The baron passed his pencil and notebook to Cordelia, with the notebook open to the last page. “I agree with you that being overheard would not do, but in this place, it is probably impossible…”

Lady Lucas’ next words were quite revealing. Her first phrase was one of modesty about her knowledge. It was what a well-bred lady would say, so Henry merely nodded. It was the second phrase, however, compounded with the third, that made him decide that her friendship was worth cultivating.

She is not only related to Newcastle, but she is also asking if I am in need of a wife. Hmm… I do, and the mention of the duke was most probably on purpose. Does he have eligible daughters, I wonder? Or perhaps some other lord related to him?

Henry smiled. “See, your question proves the point that a notebook is preferable in this case!” He said referring to her overhearing his words regarding a wife. “But yes, I find myself in need of a wife and, since my lady mother died in the Great Plague, I also find myself in need of a lady of quality to guide me through all that it entails…”

The implication was left unstated, so that she could accept his request or not, without feelings being hurt.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think Monday to be a very good day for such an outing. Shall we say half past eleven? Or is that too early and you would prefer an 'Afternoon'?" 

He passed her a notebook and she accepted the pencil and wrote her location to be St Marks room 216 second floor then passed it back. Her son would have taken note of her activity but she didn't care and she would not allow him to manage her either.

"I am glad that we share a sentiment - which will mean that other things will be so as well."

I think him to be not much younger than me yet I can hardly hope to think that I might be someone he gave a thought to? but he will need an heir to inherit his Title so such ideas will come to nothing 

She smiled across to him pleased with his offer.

"You flatter me Lord Grey in your thinking and yet I am capable of many things and so will accept, with pleasure."

She had monopolized enough and so her attentions turned back to her son and Cadogan to wait for that Mans replies.

John did not respond to his mothers snip at Lord Grey (when she took affront at his asking for the Sons sanction) and was relieved when the Baron proved gentleman, which was to say indulgent of the quirks of age and female nature!    

Here John and Cadogan did pause, as Cordelia and Henry sorted out their plans...  meanwhile a  rarely seen figure carried a trio of deserts from the kitchen. These were set before the gentlemen...  

"I am a man of business and reside here at the Lion.  Sir Lucas resided here for many months also, thus be became acquainted." Cadogan explained 

Mrs Golightly waited for a pause in the conversation, then spoke to the lady.  "Good day to you my lady,  forgive my intrusion, but I am concerned.  The lad brought your meal back barely touched, and you ordered no sweets either.  Please do tell me if there is some inadequacy, the complete satisfaction of my guests is my highest priority..."  she was terribly sincere. 

Henry did not look at what the lady had written in the notebook. He simply closed it and put his pencil and notebook in one of his pockets. “Monday half past eleven? Perfect!” Henry’s life had always been early to rise and, when possible, early to bed. His mind was clearer before dawn, when silence was his only companion. Court would probably change things, he knew, but he would try to keep to the custom that had served him well so far. Calling on Lady Lucas at half past eleven would allow him several hours of uninterrupted work before he had to leave his room.

Sir Lucas? Mister Cadogan has no schooling regarding proper forms of address, does he? The baron had been a peer but for a short time, but he was a Grey, and his father had made it a point that he could conduct himself properly. Henry would forget once in a while, but he did try hard to address others as he was supposed to. It was training that would probably serve him well at court.

His expression was one of bliss, the sago being responsible for it, and it was easy for every one to see. He had had time to get only one spoonful of the heavenly chocolate sago, though, when Mrs. Golightly addressed Cordelia. A few notches up the scale Mrs. Golightly. You noticed something I did not. He swallowed, and kept his peace, waiting for Lady Lucas’ answer.

He was so lost in flavours and thoughts that he forgot to remove the spoon from his mouth.

The arrangements made Cordelia's focus now was centered on the man who her son seemed to Champion. Yet before she could reply a woman appeared and made inquiry into her lack of doing the food justice. 

"There is no faults with the food - tis my own constitution that oft times intrudes. Yet I trust that You will use any not eaten for the poor and then I shall not feel badly. And as to a dessert I believe I also chose the Apple ..."

Cordelia spoke softly making use of herself so that the other woman might take no insults. The frailties of ones' body and the weakness thereof was a thing that anyone could understand.

"And what IS the 'Business' you speak of Sir?" She pressed again. "I am interested and so I think is Lord Grey. Please do tell. You have been in London for some time then?"

Now weather that Gentleman had any interest she was not to know but he could hardly be excluded from the conversation and she was determined to find out just what her son was up to.  

She hoped that her apple dessert would soon be brought for she had no wish to sit idle while they ate.

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

OOC: I was working from what I'd read in Cordelia’s Application where her husband was called Sir John Lucas, and so I assumed that with her son John Lucas having inherited he would also be a Sir John Lucas.  Please advise me what the correct form is. I shall edit. It was not meant to be Cadogan being uninformed and being judged on that.  He is entirely up on the play, has several clients of nobility.  That was my mistake so please discount it as an OOC thing, not IC.  

IC:

"Why that boy." Mrs Golightly said under breath as she discovered that the Lady's order has not been took.

"Ah, I understand." she was pleased to hear that Cordelia did not need to voice some complaint.  "Patrons such as yourself are very desirable, milady. so that if you do have any advice you wish to relay I would be indebted to you for it... indeed, discover myself amiss for do not have any arrangement such as you suggest with the poor.  I shall certainly talk to Reverend Burnet about it when next at church, and see what i can arrange." 

She spoke quickly, mindful that she was interrupting their dining time. 

"I'll have your apple sent out immediately, naturally with no charge." with a bob to the gentlemen also, she whisked herself back to the kitchens.

Cordelia’s desert was carried out by a very red faced youngest Golightly. "I’m really sorry Mam"

Mr Cadogan was happy to anser her questions. "I am a sort of manager of gentlemen’s financial affairs.  You may appreciate as a woman of breeding that there are any number of men of your class who enjoy having an interest in business without needing to get their hands dirty, dealing with the various officials necessary and the like.  For instance my client might express an interest in Basildons new shipping company, here I can advise them how his company is doing, which incidentally it took a loss recently so I would advise a cautious investor against, but if they still wished to go ahead I would arrange the purchase of shares etc.  That is one example of the type of work I do, there are of course many variants.  Some use my services in order to remain anonymous.  Then some others it is merely the securement of important documents in my safe that they purchase."

"I have had business in London for 7 or more years now. Initially in a partnership with Smith, until he was tragically killed in '75., it was in all the papers." Smith had left widow and a daughter, but Cordelia knew neither Abigail nor Francis.  "More recently I work from an office in Westminster."

Things were remidied all round and she accepted the sweet with a nod and a smile for the boy.

She listened with interest as Cadogan gave his explanation of it. His 'flattery' she paid no attention to - it was as empty as Air. She glanced over to her son wondering just how deep he was with this Man.

"You have such a way with words and made it so that even I, a mere Woman, can understand." She flattered right back. "Why you do so many divers things I wonder that you have time. I shall assume that you are able to make a good living with this Skill of yours yes?"

That she thinks it all shady and on the same par with a money-lender she could not say outright.

She turned to Lord Grey asking

"And what do you think Lord Grey of such an endevour?"

He was no young man but one seasoned by his years and Cordelia thinks that he might see thru this scheme but then perhaps not if he has spent so much time in Academia!

The matter of Lady Lucas’ dessert was promptly and rightly taken care of, which allowed Henry to continue with his own. Delicious! I don’t think I will be able to get the recipe from Mrs. Golightly, but I will definitely try!

Then Lady Lucas asked for an explanation from Mr. Cadogan, which the man gave, but without getting into the details of the business deal he was working on. Interesting. He gave me the details, but not to her. The man did give a good bird’s eye view of how things worked, which was of profit for the baron, as he knew almost nothing regarding how such things worked. Who knows? One day I may have interest in something like that… one day in the future perhaps, but not in the present.

War has not started yet.

The Lady seem suspicious, and she had every right to be. If her sustenance was being risked, she should be appraised of what was being done, how, and why. Or so Lord Grey thought. She then asked his opinion.

“Lady Lucas…” he began, “I see two things. First, from what Mr. Cadogan has related to me over lunch, the enterprise is bound to rake in hefty profits…”

Henry paused to let the thought sink in.

“It does have one risk factor. Profit is predicated on active war being pursued by the Navy Royal and the Royal Armies. If that comes to pass, I foresee a happy ending. If it does not, I foresee a minor loss, with the added factor of some time passing before the principal is returned”.

“It all hinges on war being pursued, not only declared”. That was really it. Active war would make the men in front of him rich. No war or war declared but not acted upon would not. “Those are my thoughts, my lady, but what do I know? I am not privy to Government of Admiralty circles, so take my words with a grain of salt”. 

Henry tried to be as factual and as careful as he could. He did not want to make enemies on his first day in London.

"I shall admit, it was hard after the loss of Mr Smith, the details of which I shll not bore you with today. I did not used to reside out of an Inn my lady, and our offices were rather grander and near to Customs House.  I needed to perform an evaluation upon my own circumstances rather than a clients at that stage, and concluded that i needed to invest in my own business lest my livelihood suffer further fall." he'd sold his house and was renting offices at a fraction of the previous overhead. "And that descision has proved it's worth thus far."

He was being utterly candid, out of respect for his young investor also at the table.

She was a shrewd woman, to then ask for ‘The Astrologers’* view point. Cadogan listened (so did John), the Man of Business weighted that the review was precise.

"You have it in a nutshell Lord Grey." Cadogan agreed, then turning to the woman (an unlikely judge for such matters!) explained. "We are looking forward to the next session of the House of Lords especially, so you see, for not only is our new Peer here to be sworn in." another nod to Grey, "but we might see parliament release further funds to the Navy."

"Business investment is not a certain thing. Lord Winchelsea, Lord Chatham and myself sought an opportunity, and having gained a contract for supply of saltpetre to the military, we hope that profits will bloom sooner than later.  And then specifically for Sir John Lucas case, investing at this stage is advantageous for, once active battle commences the share prices - no longer having any uncertainty - shall soar."

To this John looked pleased, and following along the conversation as he ate desert, he now looked toward his Lady Mother. 

* wink

She listened to Lord Grey and whilst he calmed her somewhat she still fears that John is sinking into quicksand by his association. 

"I appreciate your abailities Lord Grey to put it so I am better to understand."

"Yet I am not convinced that to support such 'business' on no definate signs of a guarantee is too risky." She said in general.

"Yet I have no position if my son seeks to follow others' of like mind. Yet my concern remains for a great loss and then what will happen? How will it be recovered?"

She fixed John in her sights and he, by virtue of long association, would understand that she was warning him to not do anything that would cause her to lose her portion. Or to bankrupt the entire Estate.

She adopted an air of some distress at the mere 'idea' of a loss as fits a woman of her years. (for that played into the thinkings of the men)

On the one hand, Henry understood the technical necessity of saltpetre for the war effort. That the gentlemen had secured a contract, that two of their group were peers, and that one of those peers was the son of the Lord Chancellor were important factors for success. On the other hand, there was risk of losing at least part, maybe even all, of whatever was invested. The baron empathised with Lady Lucas. A widow had no control over her son’s estate, so she had every right to fret and be distressed by the thought of losing her portion.

Still…

“I have no right to voice my thoughts as I am not part of this enterprise, but I would suggest caution at least until the coming session of Parliament”. He paused, collecting his thoughts. “If additional funds are allocated to the Navy Royal then, however, I would venture that the possibility of loss will be minimized”. The Navy Royal would spend the funds allocated, whether there was war or not. Much of it would go to pay seamen, Lord Grey surmised, but at least some of it would be used to purchase cannon, ball, and powder, and thus the contract would be honoured, at least partially. “If that comes to pass, Mister Cadogan, I will have my agents contact you to make a modest investment in your enterprise at that point”.

It was left unvoiced that his intention was to vote in favour of the funding. Both men in front of him seemed to be of the intelligent sort, and also someone might overhear him saying so. I must be careful. I must remember to be careful…

There is risk, but at that point the risk should be manageable, and the investment will be modest indeed. Henry was not to place his finances in jeopardy over a business venture. The one reason gnawing at him that made him say he would invest was that if England did go to war, it was his duty to do something. He was not a good soldier, but at least he could help in the logistics of the war effort. That he could profit from it was not as important a consideration, although he would welcome it if it happened.

Henry raised his glass. “To fortuitous encounters, and possible partnerships”, he toasted, moving his glass towards the two men. He then added so that only Cordelia could hear him, “and to budding friendships”.

Cordelia has said enough. She had nothing to add except to say

"Well Lord Grey tis to be Hoped that what you have voiced becomes the Reality.  It remains to be seen."

He then proposed a toast and at his soto voice smiled and gave a small nod in agreement.

Her eyes then drifted to John and his companion and the feelings that this was somehow all a ploy would be slow to try and change. Would it she wonders be worthwhile to mention this topic amongst her own acqaintances? Might that provide an altered view?

What she thought of the Gentleman himself was of the same mold.

• 2 weeks later...

Here John spoke.  

"I appreciate your thoughts, Lord Gray, my Lady Mother.   I am forewarned that the uncertainty of the investment shall be largely removed after the House of Lords session." here he turned to the broker.  "Mr Cadogan, will the offer remain at the same rate afterwards? If so, then I prefer to wait"

"Ah, were business so easy as betting upon certainty’s." Cadogan replied, with a smile about the table, "This is perhaps lesson one for your career in shareholdings young Lord John Lucas." and perhaps the mother too he wondered?  "For, if The House releases further funds for the war effort the percieved value of our enterprise increases. Thus the quantity you can purchase today shall be reduced by perhaps a half.  Yet, if they do not release said funds, then it might be the value of the shares you buy today might instead drop." 

"That is the gamble that is business."

Here the young man looked to Cordelia and Grey for their comments?

OOC: He wont discuss money specifics with a woman present, but you might safely imagine from what he says that if the share price today is 1 shilling (with uncertainty to it’s success)

Following the Lords session:

• If confidence in the war effort is won, the price/value per share shall rise to 2 shillings per share
  • If it remains uncertain the share price will remain the same
  • If war is abandoned, then the share price/value will drop to 6p per share

Was her son having a change of heart?

"I think to proceed with prudence and caution is what is called for." She said quietly to the group as a whole. "Yet I am in no position to make such transaction and thus shall depend upon the Wisdom of my son."

She could very easily do so on her own for as a Widow she was able to. But she also knew that to cater to her son and his Pride might well yeild better results.

"I shall wish for the Success of this 'Venture' of course."

Henry took a few moments to process the financial details given by Cadogan. The principle was sound. Less risk, higher cost of entry. More risk, lower cost of entry. Although he had initially been inclined not to participate in the enterprise, he was now considering the opposite. A small investment, whether successful or not, was bound to teach him a lot about both how investments in shares were made, and about London and her workings. A hundred pounds or so ought to be enough, the baron mused. Enough to make it worth his while, and little enough so that my lifestyle is not affected, even if I lose everything.

Young Sir John seemed to want to know his thoughts. Cordelia had voiced for prudence, and she was quite correct, at least from her point of view. A young baronet may think that he could afford a greater level of risk, but his widowed mother could definitely not. And if the finances of the two were entwined, then…

“Sir John, as I have stated, the venture shows promise”. Truth had to be stated at all levels, and the proposal did have merit. “There are two ways to look at this. The first, to seek to maximise possible profit. The second, to minimise possible loss…” And therein lies the crux of the matter. “I humbly suggest to wait for the results of the next session of Lords. Profit would be cut in half, true, but risk would be cut to even less than that, so I think a cautious stance is more than warranted…”

Henry paused for a moment, sipping from his ale.

“As I said, if there is further commitment from the government to finance the war, I will join you in this, even at the higher cost”. Lord Grey left unstated that if further government financing of the navy did not come to pass, he would shy away from the matter.

And here I thought my meal was going to be a boring one...

John was in a thoughtful pose, aware at that moment that all eyes were upon him.  

"Well." he inhaled deeply, "If it is a gamble prior, then I shall apply the old adage to only bet what you can afford to loose.  Mr Cadogan, the sum I was considering investing I shall quarter.  With intent to invest the rest with you provided it is favourable outcome at the Lords, at whatever new rate it may then be."  He made a thin smile at that point feeling that he had been reasonable, while still keeping a foot in the door to the excellent share price he'd been offered.

Distantly a bell chimed one, the dining hall was indeed emptying, the day progressing.   

"Ah, but the days plans call us thither!" John lost his seriousness and stood... ready to help his mother up from her seat.  He had something more in store to show her, a surprise even.

"Lord Gray, it has been a pleasure to meet you. I hope that our paths cross again, perhaps at the lords next Tuesday.  And Mr Cadogan, I shall visit your office later this afternoon. " 

She released the breath she'd been holding at her son's words. Thankfully he might had taken what Lord Grey had said to heart.

He stood clearly wanting to leave and so she let him help her from her place. 

"Lord Grey it was a happy and I hope fortutious encounter for us both. I shall see you come Monday then,"

"Mr. Cadogan. A good day to you as well."

Social Nicieties being observed all round.

She looked to her son then for direction. Had he finished with her as well or was there more to come?

Young Sir John took the middle road. But that middle road was paved with caution, which spoke well of him. He will honour his name if he continues that way. Were the young man to look in the baron’s direction, perhaps he would see an almost imperceptible but approving nod.

Henry stood up. “I have been honoured to meet you acquaintances”, he bowed to Cordelia, her son, and Cadogan. “Lady Lucas, Monday it is”. He would kiss her hand if it was offered. Henry then replied to her son. “Sir John, if I happen to be distracted on Tuesday and not notice you immediately, please do approach. It won’t be with intent to slight, but due to a mind trying to remember all the details of what I have to say and do at the taking of my seat…”

It would serve Cordelia’s soon to be seen with a Grey. Although only a baron, Henry’s family name carried some weight, and the young man would be noticed by association. Here I am, beginning to think like a politician! He had to suppress a smile at the thought.

“Mr. Cadogan, a pleasure. Tuesday will tell us much!”

With one last nod, Henry took their leave.

ooc: Fin? A very fun thread!

Edited by Henry Grey

His Mother's silence at that moment told John much, for certainly she would have given voice to disaporval if that had been within her.  It was but a small step, but a great one - his young cheeks flushed at it, and as his eyes passed about the group he did see the barely perceptible nod of approval from the Baron.  John smiled some more.  Yes he could feel it in his bones, having followed these ones advice he'd made a right choice, a good choice. 

"Then I shall approach you after the sesson perhaps." he was keen to continue the assosciation with Grey. 

For his part Cadogan was happy enough how it had gone, and paid homage to the Lady in the group with a deep bow in farewell - then genial well wishes to the men younger and elder both...

Thus the thrown together group then disbanded.

OOC: You are welcome! & Thankyou for your addition of fun into the thread too! Cordelia and John shall carry on their afternoon in this thread for a whiel longer still (rather than make a seperate for contnuance) 

"I've something to show you, if I would waylay your return for some time yet.  A detour if you will." said the Son to Mother as he offered his arm to escort her from the doors of the Inn to the still waiting carriage. While the driver jumped down from his place to turndown the step and open the door, it was John who offered his hand to settle Cordelia into the interiour.

"Lord Grey seemed a very nice fellow, I thought." there would be perhaps five minutes of small talk before they reached the grand finale.  Cordelia might note the Carriage turned up from Charring Cross and then off up the ever popular Picadilly - all along that prettily cobbled road till before it finaly slowed to a full stop at the park end of it.   

John shifted in seat and smiled. She as his mother surely recognised a nervous excitment repressed in him.  "So. What do you think?" and he looked out the window at number 2.

The facade of the House is amass of dark green ivy vines, set amongst great oak trees whose pale green new leaves shimmer hopefully in the spring breeze. A small pond is set in the front yard, dappled with lilly pads. 

Four columns support a great roof over the front doors, which are fashionably designed with stained glass panels to either side.

The two Gentlemen departed and her son added that he ahd something to show her ....

Her arm was taken and she soon found herself handed into the waiting coach where John brought up Lord Grey.

"Yes. It would seem so. He is but a Baron yet carries himself well so no doubt advancements will occur." 

She looked from the coach as it trotted on and then became residential to finally stop before one of the many houses that lined both sides of that particular street.

She turned to look at John noting that his excitement was being barely contained yet he was also unsure about something.

"Well upon first look I can say it is unlived in. Yet it is pleasing to look at. Someone has kept the grounds well enough  .... John why have we stopped here?"

She asked without looking at him. Was this another part of that "Venture" he wanted to show her? Who was she to meet now?

"Then appearances can be deceiving, for it is indeed lived in. Here, come with me!" eager as a child John hopped down from the carriage then assisted his mother to the pavement too. 

"I especially love all the ivy, it gives the house such a time-honoured look." Smiling broadly he escorted her though the recently painted gate and up the path, pointing out the features he enjoyed most. "And that pond there, it's got real live gold fish in it. And sometimes ducks.  I’ve not seen any swans yet.  But look at this entrance!" he proudly declared as the came into the 4 columned portico. "If this doesn’t say grand I don’t know what does!"  

His eyes were bright as he looked back to her, waiting for her to notice. Please notice! The recently replaced brass plaque on the wall near the door that read "Lucas House"

She had been gazing out towards the pond as they walked and she appreciated the colonnades but was caught by surprise at his remark. And for her a tempoary loss of words. She looked first at the plate then to her son then back. 

"'Lucas House'?"

Said on a whisper her eyes having widened somewhat as the implication at last finally hit.

"You can not mean that you have purchased this? But how? I mean .... when .... Oh John what have you been up too?'

He would read more amazement in her words than disapproval. 

"You are to reside here then? It must be so for you have laid claim already. How did you know of this place?"

Codagan Codagan Codagan 

She closed her eyes briefly suddenly a bit sick at the thought that man could be dragging her son deeper and deeper. (that she could be entirely wrong was not entertained)

John, for his part, might well take his mother's reaction as being overcome by this Good News.

Finally she saw!  The notes of surprise on her voice brought him to cheerful laughter. "Yes it is purchased, and not a week too soon.  But desist your fret of the accounts.  Do you remember the houses in Portsmouth, the ones father kept for Business there during the commonwealth. Those have been sold and here is new property investment, and in a locale that makes far more sense!" 

Yes her son was really making himself at home with his inheritance.

The did not linger on the doorstep that long though before a servant within opened the door to voices heard.   The little thing in mob stepped back from the door and readies to take coats and hats. 

"Lets see you to the parlour." he cheered on, "Betty," which appeared to be the maids name, "I assume you have tea ready."

The foyer was quite what you'd expect of such a grand doorway, while Cordelia's keen eye might notice a glimpse of maroon ladies hat though ajar cloakroom door that looked very alike one she herself owned!  

OOC: Feel free to describe the interior of the house to average wealth level standard - your descriptions shall be then added to the loc post for future use.      

Cordelia eyed the small creature then began her inventory.

The stained glaas at entry was nice and framed the entrance. Someone had fashioned wallpaper done in a randon garden-like design over two walls leaving the others covered in paint.  She noted several doors assuming them to be perhpas an office or another withdrawing room. The Parlor was next. Here too the ceiling height was good which might make the upper floor rooms large as well - since the Great fire ceiling heights had been restricted and two-storyed houses could have them ten feet high on the ground and first floor and nine on the second and third floors. There were some few pieces of furniture left from a previous owner no doubt and the colors of green and rose blended well. There was a small fireplace tuked into a corner its hearth bare. She wondered if there was a dining room on this floor which would be conveient. There could be anywhere from four to six rooms on the other floors with servants being on the upper one.

The Kitchen as well as pantries larders store cupboards and celler would all be located to the back.

"Well John."

She begins and moved to take a seat in a chair. Waiting for further explinations.

In regards to the womans hat she had glimpsed earlier she made no reference. She was hardly dressed for meeting her son's mistress.

(ooc: I was not sure if John had done any redecorating so just went with a general observation)

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Johns breath was unconsciously held for her silent inspection, but exhaled as she remained so. She found it to her liking! (for she'd have critiqued is she did not)

Though to the parlour they stepped, it was a room that might best serve a woman , and dressed in graceful colours of green and rose. Some of the furnishings were unknown to her, inherited from a previous owner, but as Cordeia settled to chair she might have a rather dejavu moment. The comfort of it being identical to her own favourite morning chair from back home.   And then a closer look at the pretty tea service that was already laid in place ready for the houses Master and his Mothers return,  reveled it to be was identical to the one given her by her mother upon her engagement.  In fact, the more she looked around, the more familiar all the furnishings were...

…yet what might properly surprise her was the positioning of an oak writing slope upon small desk near the window. That writing slope was certainly hers, and had been positioned on her desk at Saint Marks when she'd left barely 2 hours ago now! 

For his part, John was not saying much at all, but was behaving very much like a lad midst surprise still.  For arrantly his surprise for her was not yet over. 

As she was settling her skirts her eyes continued to inspect finding little things like cobwebs and cracks on the walls a rather nice tea service .....

tea service? that looks very much like what I had from Mother

The colors here are pretty but they need freshing up but that writing slope is placed well I wonder  ...

how can another so close to mine be here

"Why these ARE my things  ..."

She said the words aloud in a whisper as she rose and went first to the desk then turned to her son her confusion clear upon her face.

"John? What is happening? What have you done?"

John was openly grinning a that point.

"You could not think I would keep a House in London without my Mother Lady Lucas to run it.  And so here we are, in our new London home." He bent to knee and clasped her hand with this his grand statement.

"It involved plotting I admit, to invite you to lunch at the inn in town, where I know you'd never dine usually, in order to have all your personal items and wardrobe moved from St Marks to complete the surprise.  Here we are now mother and you with accommodations far more worthy of you.  Here you can host teas and entertain in a manner that suits you.  And I... well I shall be very content to have you close."  

It was a grand gesture indeed, and warmly said from the heart.

She might realise that this was what had been behind his repressed excitment for the entire afternoon. 

OOC: I'd done a prelimary update of the Lucas House loc-post, if you'd like to fine tune it (perhaps adding the withdrawing room & dining descriptions) pm me the text and I'll add it.  

and I am to be housekeeper then

Not, admittedly, the best of first thoughts that she could have had yet she was not fully recovered so self-pardoned.

"Forgive me but this is so out of character for you that I am unsure of what to say." True.

"You must have been planning this for some time then? And Birch had to have been party to it for only she would pack my things but said nothing. I wonder how you bribed her silence?"

This said with some returning vigor.

"So I am instilled here now. I shall miss the Other but no matter." Here added a small sigh. She was not letting him off that easily.

"You must have Plans John or else why all of this? Tis a fine house or so it seems on first look. Do you know who lived here before?"

"So I am to have Complete Control of the running here? Servants and such. Any furnishings that need attention or replacement? Have you had a survey done then?"

"After what I found at Longview and the state of disrepair I walked into I am of no mind to encounter that here but on a larger scale."

She was being perhaps a bit rough but she did not like being bossed about.

"Very well. I shall accept this new development and be Glad for it."

She smiled across to John. 

It was her way of saying 'thank you well done' to a son who in his own expressions of devotion was much like the weather.

More than one parent judged their child poorly and had a hard time believing they could be any different - across town a Young Lord Beverly was still penalised for his spate of gambling while at university, although that had been four or more years ago now and he now with a respectable position entrusted with responsibility in Cumberland’s household.  Perhaps trusting a child again is the most difficult feat to accomplish.

"Yes indeed." John replied with a smile, “and my purpose of it is as I have said.”.  

It could have gone far worse, he had been trying to guess her response. She could have furied at him and ordered all her belongings returned to the tiny room at Saint Marks, in fact, he'd been anticipating that. (Had instructed the carriage to remain out the back ready for a repacking!) 

But instead she was content to judge him guilty of bribery or worse with her maid.  He let it pass (she'd accused him of far worse in the past!) 

"I did not meet the previous owners, I brought through an agency." he replied on that, and should Cordelia enquire she would discover that was the common case with nearly all recently purchased (or rented) houses on Piccadilly.

"Yes I want you to have your free hand with the house, never to feel like a guest within it. The agency had performed an inspection prior, and we have their assurance that it is in excellent order - merely in need of fresh decorating, or as they said it "refurbishment to the new owners tastes."  In his young life he'd not previously appreciated just how nervous his mother was about such things.  Perhaps she had done without, or been ripped off, so that she housed deep seated fears of being again swindled.

"The agent recommended me a certain sized budget would be enough to tend to such things, and recommended a family of decorators, the Pettivers, who have served some of the best houses, managing fine ceilings and panelling for Lord Brooke.  The son James Pettiver was particularly accomplished in that regard, and also an attendant at Gresham*. 

* ref

ooc: and here I  think we can wrap on up if you'd like to tidy off with your last post  :)  Happy homecoming, at last Cordelia has herself a townhouse!  

She could only nod and smile.

Once alone she would take stock and regroup. There were indeed Benefits to living here and she would take John at his word and organize the Household and anything else.

"I can see that everything is well thought out. How Clever you are John to have thought of this - I think it shall indeed be Beneficial to us both!"

Never one to offer a 'hug' Cordelia did not attempt to do so now. She Loved her son yet a part of her did not Trust him.

They settled back and continued talking Cordelia watching as the small creature that had let them in brought the tea and served with hands that shook looking much like a frightened young fawn.

Yes indeed. There was much to do here and so Cordelia began to plan    ........

(ooc: thank you very much!)

• Hope locked this topic