Random Thread of Randomness

Defiance

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Today my heart is breaking. 😢

The reason I didn't post last week is that we found a cat we wanted to adopt and needed to get our house ready for a young, active feline. Our last cat was old and couldn't jump up on things or get into trouble. Once that was done, we picked up the cat on Thursday. He was sweet and adorable and while he got along fine with me, he couldn't adjust to my husband. I don't know what about him that the cat didn't like Yesterday, it became clear to us both that he would be better off somewhere else and so we gave him back to his previous owner. I've adopted many cats over the last forty years and this was only the second time that one could not adjust.

Now he is gone and I miss him dreadfully. In only five days, that cat stole my heart and now I'll never see him again. What this will do to my posting, I don't know. Sometimes when I'm depressed, I write a lot and sometimes I don't. I may post tomorrow or it might be a few days or even a week, hopefully no more than that.

There are a multitude of sweet felines hoping for a new home.  At least the one you fostered had a place to return to.  Some of the shelter cats have little hope.  You are obviously a caring person and there is no shortage of felines that would love to join you, so hang in there.  It is merely an intermission before another cat steals your heart anew.  Nothing like posting to while away the time until that event happens. ;)

Posting is not important... those galactic overlords we call cats are 😜

But I agree with BG. You will find a feline that is compatible with both of you in no time! I know... we have two. When we adopted Lucas (our second cat) he had to adapt to four humans and another, older, cat. It did have its hiccups.

Keep looking. The right one will appear soon!

Aww, that is too bad. Pets are so important in our lives - people who have no pets or even worse, don't like pets just do understand we can get attached to ours. But I echo the others, so many communities have their shelters filled with cats looking for a home. My first two dogs in my life were both pure bred dachshunds purchased (first one by my parents when I was 12 and second by me as I was an adult then) but my current guy I decided to adopt from a shelter. He was an abandoned dog and warmed to me first visit. I have never regretted going the shelter route.

Hope you start to feel better, take your time.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all.❤️

On Tuesday (despite having a raging headache) , my husband and I welcomed Phoebe and Athena into our lives, adorable two-month-old kittens that are adjusting well to their new home and to us, their new minions. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Guess what :)  

Remember I told you all how I had Roy Kerr as a customer, and all his fancy fancy presentations to frame a few years ago. (Roy is a very important Scientist) Anyhoo, today he turned up with his latest thing  -- he's been made a Fellow of the Royal Society. 

Wow, so flash. 

I raved a bit about it, and he modestly said, "It's not such an old society really."

I said "1660!" (which I think is pretty old!) 

And then he was impressed and asked me why I knew that!  

*smiles* I did not tell him I personally know Robert Hooke, Christopher Wren,  William Brounker etc. 

Anyhow, I think that was pretty cool.

Yup that is him :) and apparantly an ace Bridge player too !

Makes me wonder one or two of Our science guys should be wickedly good at cards ic, I recently wrote Robert Hooke at a cards game; I bet he was wiping the floor with the rest of them!   

Basic Poker is all you need to know Caroline!  In game we might claim we are playing some historical game, but it's always pocker actually, aces high 😄 

(Reason: Remember Adam MacGregor? He once tried to teach us all some authentic & historic card game IC with an unusual deck of cards, and unfathomable rules, it was sheer agony!)  

Adam MacGregor was Catriona's husband and Duncan's best friend, way back in 2008.

Poker OOC and whatever name we give it IC has been the best solution found, but even that can become a burden for the Mods. Hence the disappearance of the weekly card games.

Agreed, the battles are not historically accurate.

The portrayals of Louis XIV, Monsieur, and the Chevalier de Loraine are about what we have seen here, which was interesting.

William of Orange is portrayed as a conniving, self serving brat that wanted to be king of a republic.

The use of poison, satanism, gossip, torture, etc. at Versailles are at the forefront.

But the one thing that caught my attentions were the fabrics, cravats, shoes, jewellery, etc. I have trouble describing Henry (one of the reasons I described him as out of fashion when he arrived) so seeing those things will help me tons going forward. There are some awesome crumpled silk waistcoats I must confess I drooled over. The crumple was mostly vertical, almost like a very tight drape.

I have gone through 2 out of 3 10-episode seasons.

I just noticed in Henry Grey’s plots this item.

8. Scientific: to help Cambridge Chancellor's (Francis) make Cambridge popular again.

Oh you silly man! Don’t you know that all the cool kids go to Oxford!

I am looking forward to having Grey and Blount rif on this school rivalry for Mountjoy is an alum and big supporter of Oxford.