JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Away & Here Notices

Defiance

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im returning to RL now, which includes you all my dears though we dont call this real life usually. The funeral was the lovliest I've attended, and I actually spoke at it (those two facts not being related), which was a first time and not one I hope to repeat any time soon. There has been some blessings from this (you know how I like those silver linings), that my brother who's not spoken to me for years rung me up after the streaming. So that was really nice. I think it would have made Linda happy too. Anyhow, that is more than you all need to know, but see now I am a 'speaker' I can waffle >.<  not actually. I've always waffled. Anyhoo have missed you guys, and will ease back into posting now.

*hearts*

Marie     

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I am still here... but... it'll probably be next week some time before I can play catch up.  This winter storm has hit Texas pretty hard, y'all.  <*headdesk*> Today was the first day it was warm enough to sort of truly access the damage but we have another hard freeze tonight.  We've been out of water for a week, which means no plumbing in the house and if that's not bad enough... with 4 horses and a herd of goats it's been a nightmare.  Our house and barns are designed to combat temps upwards of 110F for weeks but -15F to 20F for a week it was not.  And everyone here is in that shape, there isn't water to really be bought and if you do find it... it's at a gallon at a time (which doesn't go very far with the horses and goats).  All that being said, we've been some of the lucky ones not to lose power (which has been really fortunate since everything including our heat in the house is electric), but some of our friends also have been hit really hard.  A dear friend has lost over 18 head of goats this week due to the weather.  We have tornado plans... wildfire plans... even hurricane plans but we did not have extreme cold plans.  So, I'm still here but it'll probably be a week before I get this stupid mess sorted out enough to post.

Diana, I hope you maintain power to keep the well and waterer running for the barn, and to keep your family warm.  It is unbelievable what has hit Texas, and it will stay in your vivid memory the rest of your life.  Stay safe.  I suffer only the slings of southern California.

Well, if it's not one extreme it's the other.  Today the high was 81F and had windows and fans on in the house.  <facepalming> And we have been again super lucky, the well came back on and no pipes busted anywhere.  The animals are all troopers and fairing pretty well, I do have one mare that has a bit of a cough but I think she's got a little cold from the rapid weather changes.  My family all made it through it really well too.  So thank you guys for the good thoughts. 💞

@Davina Wellsley Poor Houston though, they aren't use to freezing rain and all of that... and the rolling blackouts there I heard were pretty bad.  I'm glad to hear you grandmother and her sister though made it through it good. 

@Caroline Despanay  Welp! I can wipe an Alaskan Cruise off my bucket list... I'll just rent the National Geographic dvd on whales 😂  Also, yeah we were on water rations and lucky didn't have any colic, but we took the thawed gallons of water and heated them and then used the hot water to melt the ice in their buckets and... I can't believe I'd ever see the day where I'd have to thaw snow for water for the animals but it's all we had.  Which is lucky because turns out our vet clinic burned down during all of this so... yep, I'm thankful all of ours are real troopers.  

@Blackguard  Vivid in my memory... <insert minor panic attacks here>  ROFL!  Aren't you a ray of hope?!... jk  SoCal would never work for me, it's way, way to close to all the wildfire action.  I need to be at least 500 miles from those wildfires CA has.  I'm even less prepared mentally for wildfires than I was for my 7 day free trial of Alaska Life. 

Anywho, while everything is fine outside it appears that indoor hibernation and a clean house do not go hand in hand so I'll still try and be back next week and hope that I demolish all the house cleaning between now and then. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hope you feel better... we are no longer spring chickens.

As an aside I read Blackguard's post as "Set small goats." which I though was a unique way of reinvigorating oneself. 

I find popping in a DVD of "The Power and the Passion" a good way to get in the mood  but I've been binge watching The Man in the High castle so I don't know if I am ready for Obergruppenfurer Charles II.

Oh no, Margaret! Hopefully, it'll take a swing for the better again. :)  And Charles! That 'set small goats' had me snort out my coffee.  Maybe after I get caught up again I'll toss some 'small goats set up' pictures in here because I can legit do that. BG, are you trying to tell Hope and I to take it slow and not fall off the wagon and light the wagon on fire and use the insurance money to buy cupcakes? 😐 Cause I have to say, if you are, I was really looking forward to those cupcakes...  

*pulls out pen and paper to write down small goals*  

Plan Z is to do them tomorrow after the goats are bottle fed and milked.  

Also, CB I was rereading Dark Angels by Karleen Koen to get back in the mood and because I needed something that'd jumpstart my brain out of 'What are words?' mode.  Love Karleen Koen, never fails to put me back in Restoration mood. 

Yes Diana, that is exactly what I was saying, though you did not mention the flavor of the cupcakes, which I assume are chocolate for you and Hope.  Sadly, I neglected to inform you that the insurance money has a deductible that would not be met by a fire of a cart, unless that cart was digital and full of Bitcoin.  

Alright, so currently shooting for Tuesday as my catch-up day.  I am actually off and have no doctor appointments (though it will be day 2 after shot 2 of the vaccine).  That being said, I do have a story to share.

Due to medical issues, I had to have a brain MRI on Wednesday.  Because the machine is so loud, they strap a set of headphones over my ears and ask me what kind of music I like.  Since I am firmly Gen X, I said 80s/90s, imagining Guns 'n Roses, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, Journey, etc. They swaddle me up and slide me into the white light sarcophagus and I hear an introduction for Spotify.  Then the music starts.  It is Backstreet Boys.  Huh.  I guess they count as 90s?  Next song should be good.  Segways into...Backstreet Boys again. Not cool, but I'm kinda stuck.  Next song has to be better.  Once again, Backstreet Boys.  Now I know someone has to be messing with me, right?  Fourth song comes on-'NSync.  At least it wasn't Backstreet Boys.  They stop the machine and roll me out, telling me they're going to put the contrast in the IV now.  I mention the BoyBandapalooza.  The girl pushing the contrast said, "It is someone's list.  It says "Megahits of the 80s and 90s".  Instead of increasing my time in the tube of bright white light, I say nothing about music change.  It can't get worse, right?

Laugh is on me.  Next song.  "Everybody Dance Now" by C+C Music Factory, followed by everybody's beloved one hit wonder "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred and then, just to make sure my brain wasn't completely scrambled, as a finishing move, they played..."Cotton Eye Joe".  So, it is taking a bit longer to unscramble the mess that is my brain.  If it hadn't been for Cotton Eye Joe....

I hope everyone is feeling better! 

I got overwhelmed with too many things going on at once both RL and here. Once I have the farm planted, my mind should be in a better place. Until then I'm just going to squeak out what posts I can. I will catch up on everything I owe and need to start as soon as I can stop thinking about a laundry list of things to do...including laundry...with a dryer that will only run on low...

💜

Wish coulda seen your face when the cottoneyedjoe one started  

*she says while eating a lemon with lemon curd cupcake*  I'm going for gratification first, I'll put in the claim forms later

My new idea is to do a post at the begnning of each work day under the code 'set small goats', starting tomorrow, on account of how I am currently running my life with daily to do lists (even the weekened, which I personally thought was taking it too far) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All. I’ll not be able to post for a few days as my IMac desktop is going into Apple for repairs. I guess the graphics card has died so I’ll be dropping it off tomorrow afternoon.

🤞🏻 That it’s something else! As it’s not cheap to replace!