• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All,

Tomorrow at 4 pm (GMT-6) my wife and I will be leaving for our first vacation in 7 years. Our son graduates form St Andrews, Scotland, on the 25th, but we need to get away from the routine for a time. So, although I expect to have internet access (Europe is far more civilized than the land of the Mayan ruins), I have to be realistic and understand that I probably will not be able to post daily for the next four weeks.

So if I delay an important post a couple of days, please bear with me. I will be here, reading everything, that is for sure.

A trip to visit Scottish castles is on my bucket list.  I'm envious.  It sounds like you will have a grand time visiting ruins in the mountains as opposed to ruins in a jungle.  I'd like to visit the ruins in Belize and Guatemala one day too, though I am less excited about jungles than highlands. :)

1 hour ago, Blackguard said:

A trip to visit Scottish castles is on my bucket list.  I'm envious.  It sounds like you will have a grand time visiting ruins in the mountains as opposed to ruins in a jungle.  I'd like to visit the ruins in Belize and Guatemala one day too, though I am less excited about jungles than highlands. :)

If you ever decide to do Tikal, etc., let me know. I can provide a base of operations in the city.

Spent the morning looking at period and almost period architecture in Madrid, and the afternoon looking at 16-18th century Spanish paintings in El Prado. Now I know where Don Juan de Austria wants to live... it may not be Versailles, but it is not Connor Castle either. The Royal Palace is HUGE!

Edited by Henry Grey

Spent yesterday afternoon at the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid. Saw some very interesting items, like a Quintant (a larger Sextant), a universal equinoctal ring, and several astrolabes. With Mod permission, I intend to introduce them for colour here and there.

This trip is being far more fun that I had initially thought :)