JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Bachelor Auction | 3rd Monday 9pm- Xmas 1677

Hope

"Countess of Cambray, ahh! Splendid," Caroline nodded as she listened to the full introduction, hopefully she would do better to remember the lady's name here on in. She really did seem a decent sort at least thus far in their two meetings. Anne-Elisabeth thanked her for helping her up from her pratfall at the sleight ride.

"You're welcome, it was nothing really," she waved her hand in dismissal, she would do the same for anyone...no, that was not true. There were a few people she would as soon kick them if they were down beneath her. But certainly not this young newcomer to court.

Ahhh, she had talked to Nicci.

"Why yes, Mistress Vauqelin and I are very close friends. Some might think it was our mutual French ancestry but the truth is we are alike souls in so many ways. I adore her," Caroline gushed.

Anne-Elisabeth was sort of complimentary of her choice of mask though she might not be sincere either. Hard to tell. Caroline believed women were far more accomplished liars than men. Of course she included herself in that appraisal.

"Yes, I have not done anything of this sort before, it sounded ...intriguing I suppose. I must see who is placed before us before I can say for certain but as of now I plan on bidding. It is for charity afterall, is it not?"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain Black Velvet

She thinks she is far out of her Element yet has come nevertheless. It had not been specified that ALL Ladies were to be masked yet she wears one that covers just half her face. Black velvet with a pretty round jet button on either side at her temples that she'd removed from one of her gowns. Her hair was styled in the usual and worn up. Her dress was black velvet brushed yet again with soft strokes for the fabric was already beginning to show signs of its condition. She had hoped that her son John might have provided for her at Christmas but she had not seen him. That he still breathed she knew but beyond that twas up to her imaginings.

She had been to the room once and so was able to move freely without standing still and staring all about. It was the windows that she liked the best but now their views were hidden by darkness and that which drew her now. Placed such she had the advcantage of watching Everyone that came and went her eyes trying to place face and name to what was beneath all the masks. She was there merely to be Social not to Bid. She did however appreciate a fine specimen of a Man and would look at them all.

The Demon and the Tiger

“Not everyone would have been so quick to help a stranger,” Anne-Elisabeth remarked. She didn't know if she would or not. In Barbados, she had sometimes laughed when visitors fell in the sand. Yet she had been younger then and quite selfish. She supposed she was still a bit selfish, but one had to be in order to rise in popularity at court. You wouldn't get far if you didn't always look out for number one.

“She adores you too. I hope that she will be here tonight. A bit of mischief from Lady Misrule would add more fun to tonight's entertainment.” The Countess plucked a glass of brandy from the tray of a passing servant. It wasn't her beloved coconut rum, but it would have to do.

So Caroline planned on bidding, depending on who was being auctioned. “It does sound like an interesting way to donate to charity. I'm of two minds about bidding myself. Because I'm so new, I have to be careful as to how I am perceived. I don't want any gentleman to think I am forcing him to spend time with me, but I don't want Her Majesty to believe I disapprove because I don't participate.

“I guess if I knew more gentlemen, it would be easier. Most of them will be strangers to me.” She grinned at Lady Kendishall. “Perhaps you can help me by pointing out which gentlemen would enjoy my company?  I certainly don't want to get stuck with somebody like that boring Lord Ogle. Flirty, witty, libertine gentlemen are more my style.”

George and Lady Butterfly

Oh, but he was so gallant,  knowing exactly the right thing to say to make a lady feel appreciated! Sophia's blush deepened. “I am honored that my humble offerings have touched you so.” He and Esteban were as different as night from day, and it seemed a bit strange to her that they were friends at all. Maybe some of Lord Chichester's charm would rub off on her husband eventually.

“Yes, you must. Maybe he will actually listen to you.” She nodded when George guessed the reason for Esteban's absence. “He is. I haven't seen him much these past few days. I'm not certain what he is working on, but he most likely wants to get it settled before the season ends.” She did know of the treaty he was trying to negotiate between Spain and England, but not the details. Nor was it her place to mention it. If Esteban wanted George to know about it, he would tell him himself.

Even if he had not been so busy, Sophia didn't think that he would have accompanied her. In fact, she had been afraid that he might forbid her to go. Auctioning off gentlemen didn't seem like the kind of event a proper and conservative Spaniard would approve of. Maybe he had allowed her to attend because it was being held by the Queen and he knew that she planned on making another donation to Her Majesty's charities. Their last contribution had gone over quite well.

Lord Chichester's answer to her question was succinct. Now she wondered if he was feeling awkward about putting himself on display. “The ladies will be pleased and I'll bet you are not aware of how popular you already are. In fact, Lady Frances Cavendish and I were talking about you only this morning. We were discussing your offer to give us painting lessons and wondering if you might agree t teach us together.” Sophia watched his face carefully for any signs that he might fancy her new friend.

Francis and Charles

"A duke or prince?  I am definitely going to restrain my brother."  This sounded more serious than he had imagined.  "He is at that age of s seeing a pretty face and wanting to give case."  He spoke as if he were much older and further removed from such feelings himself.  Kingston was being kind to Bradley, so Charles gave him an appreciative nod.

A s for Sophia, there had been a hint of scandal in Kingston's voice, but Sophia had not delivered a baby quickly after marriage.  Charles supposed it could be something else ... or maybe she had miscarried after the wedding.  The oddness, if part, was that Sophia was anything but the cool proper, dark thing that her husband was.  Perhaps opposites attracted one another.  Charles was not sure what his own opposite might look or act like.  He was not a creature of white or dark; so, would there be an opposite for him?

"Captain Herbert, yes."  He had met him at Beverley's wedding and elsewhere.  He had thought the man was sweet on his own Davina at the time.  As Francis did not profess to know much about the multitude of his cousins, Charles decided against pushing the topic of Pembrooke more.  The man was mad, more ways than one.

"I suppose we should be flirting," he acknowledged.  Though he was not feeling especially social at the moment, he was surrounded by a sea of ladies wearing masks.  He had a secret fetish for ladies in masks.  Had he not gotten excited when Avon's sister donned the Venetian mask he gave her?  He had imagined Davina coming to him at his office with a mask, but she preferred a hood instead.  Yet, here, surrounded by ladies in masks, he dared not let himself get excited.  He preferred the company of one lady at a time.  His eyes cast about for his swan, but wondering where his Davina was.  Would Catherine or Fiona be there as well?

"Shall we sally forth then?  This is a more dangerous battleground than I am used to," he jested.  Taking his leave, Charles studied the women intently.  He was certain he would recognize Davina, Catherine, Fiona, or Susan.  He might even recognize Avon's sister if she wore the same mask.

OOC~  Please advise if he recognizes a familiar form.

Charles and the Unicorn

“Migraines?’ the woman in Unicorn mask sounded surprised if anything, and failed a witty response.

“Ah, well … that is just terrible, can’t a doctor find you something to take care of that.” She plainly had not had a migraine before to think conventional means might be used to be rid of it.

“Of course not.” She swatted him with fan then, then looking about her, wary of anyone watching on.  Her eyes returned back to Charles ”…though I dare say you know no other way?”

His reaction to her claim of Cadogan was disappointingly masked.  “Yes very, he really loosened up after a drink or two.” She continued to watch and take note.

With appropriated drink in hand she sipped before making any further comment.  “Truth be told darling he seemed piteously desperate to make a good impression. I started to wonder if you frightened him somehow, and he was intent to appease me to make an ally in some argument that I was not aware of.  Or was it some other scheme he was upon.  I have been around long enough to know one should not trust a business man to speak all of the facts openly. And now I am wondering if the same rule applies to men from the Military, hmm?  You are upon some sort of plot with him, aren’t you Charles?”

Charles and the Unicorn

Charles snorted.

"None of them have managed thus far," he told her drily, "and believe me, a wide range of them have prescribed an even wider range of cures, to no avail."

Her reaction had surprised him. It seemed she genuinely had not known. And did he imagine the hint of sympathy he thought he detected? Perhaps. It would almost be comforting to think he had, for that would be rather more in keeping with the image of her Charles had built in his head.

Though, given the inaccuracy we have discovered in that model already, that suggests that we did not imagine it.

He was rather more comfortable with the swat he received from her fan. That fit with his expectations, and the way she glanced about afterwards was interesting. It undermined the impact of the strike, suggested to him that it and the verbal rebuke it accompanied were delivered as a matter of form rather than feeling. There was a pleasant flame coiling through Charles now. He was enjoying this crossing of verbal swords. He met her eyes quite deliberately, smirking lazily.

"I suppose I don't," he murmured. "Would you care to teach me one?" He gave a short laugh. "But if you are feeling neglected, I shall endeavour to repair the lack."

He held his controlled facade as she spoke further of Cadogan. It was an interesting challenge to maintain the pose while endeavouring to show that it was a pose, and he could not be sure how well he was doing. (Which of course added to the interest.)  

"That is to the good. He struck me as a man in need of relaxation." He decided to gamble, and let his smile thin noticeably. "Though it is to be hoped that he did not 'loosen' too much."

He took a draught from his flask, exactly as he would if he needed a moment to repair a genuine loss of control. When the flask was lowered, his face was once again a pleasantly amiable mask.

It was just as well that he had, for it seemed that he had perhaps underestimated Mary's perspicacity. There was no time to think, for she would see any delay for what it was. Flying on the wings of instinct, he laughed, a genuine peal of boyish amusement.

"It cannot have escaped your notice that you are a handsome woman," he began once he had recovered. "More than handsome, if truth be told. Is it really any surprise that a man like Cadogan should find himself... eager to please?" He shook his head. "I think not. As for he and I, I purchased a debt from him, but that business is concluded to the satisfaction of all concerned. Doubtless he would like there to be further entanglements, but I am undecided, hence my asking for your opinion." He grinned boyishly at her. "And you may believe me, for we military men are famously blunt and straightforward."

Two Gentlemen Arrive

Strangely enough two more masked figures arrived, but they were not ladies! Each wore a black mask with eyeholes, leaving just their jawlines visible. One was adorned with golden accents, the other silver. Both had dark brown hair, were clearly young and pleasing of form. One bore a little note with a fancy seal on it, and he looked about for who was in charge, whether that be Killigrew or Her Majesty or someone else.

Were they hiding unfortunate faces? Clearly something was afoot, but had it been planned?

Charles and the Unicorn

Seldom has any man received what he expected from a lady, a fact that has been known to surprise or disappoint at various intervals. 

"Well amputation is not option." Perhaps she was likewise discomforted with any maternal instincts that did then present.  With a small shake or her head she added, "You are currently resident in a city where the finest Medical minds congregate, surly the collective of the Royal College of Physicians can apply themselves to your plight."

It might be the first and last time she would offer Charles motherly advice. 

"Don’t' talk nonsense." she said, holding to her swat-accompanied claim, all while taking fun in the conversation.

His stillness suggested his stance was a contrivance of some sort, and she, in self flattery, judged him jealous.  That thought did please. Though if he thought he had any right as Earl to restrict her, she would attest otherwise.  "You need not instruct me in my craft, relaxing a gentleman is counter to the interests of any ambitious woman. Rather, I would say he departed more highly wound than the clocks before New Years - indeed, that he could walk at all comes as a surprise."

She took a pleased sip of her drink, her eyes sliding off to the side as an anomaly of masked gentlemen arrived. 

"Oh my..."

Charles though was focused on conversation at hand, and drew her attention back to his reply with frank (and very likely honest) revelations. "Well good for him.." it was reply enough to buy her time to think. Her reply might have ramifications , there was more going on here than they plainly spoke about.  "Why dont you leave him up to me then darling. You have quite enough on your plate... and of course he is plainly fond of me.  I am thus most qualified to act in Chatham’s best interests."

Charles and the Unicorn

"I'd consider it, in the throes," Charles told her, only half joking. He clucked his tongue irritably as she recommended that he engage the service of the Royal College of Surgeons. "I do not like physicians." He sighed. "But I suppose that I must consider it."

It was a relief to leave the awkward nigh-familial conversation behind and venture to the far more familiar ground of nigh-adversarial flirting, even if the latter did lead her to swat at him. His smirk widened at the less than forceful nature of her reply.

"I merely draw conclusions from your words madam. If you deem the result nonsense, well..." His eye glittered. "Either you too speak nonsense, or you simply find yourself unable to engage my words on their merits."

He let his eye widen in (mostly genuine, as it happened) surprise at her words. The image of her he had constructed in his mind over the years would never have indulged in even the most subtle double-entendre, much less such barely concealed innuendo. 

It isn't even innuendo, really.

He ought to have been used to such deviations by now, but they still took him by surprise. This one in particular he found powerfully attractive, hinting as it did at a woman of flesh and blood and appetite, rather than the icy creature of spite he had mentally cast her as. His eye flashed with sudden heat, a combination of desire, anger at himself for feeling the former, and no small amount of genuine jealousy. Charles knew himself to be a man of strong and capricious passions, but even he found himself surprised at the rush of feeling. He covered with another sip at his flask and a brief chuckle.

"Somehow I do not doubt you," he murmured, letting a sliver of those swallowed emotions warm his tone, filling his voice with smoke and silk. He could not allow himself to feel those things now, but he could and must make use of them. He eyed her frankly. "You are far more fun than I ever envisioned. My father was capable of many cruelties, but I begin to think that keeping you from court was far from the least of them."

He cocked his head as the conversation turned to the dangerous topic of his relationship with Cadogan. She seemed to believe his hastily woven web of evasions and half-truths. He cocked his head as she suggested that he leave all future dealings with Arthur to her. His hackles rose, out of jealousy he assumed, but that would have been motive enough even if he had not had excellent reason to deny her already. He frowned thoughtfully, forcing himself to at least appear to consider the matter.

"Hmm. I am not quite so busy as that, provided my migraines remain at bay, and dealing with Cadogan is good practice for me, I think. The stakes are lower there, and I confess I need time to grow into my new role. I should appreciate your advice, of course." He grinned at her and leaned in to whisper conspiratorially. "And frankly, there are more worthy targets for you to work your wiles upon. You can do better."

BEE

There was something thrilling that a mask provides as she continued to where the Two Gentlemen stood (Charles and Francis) and curisoity made her stop and sip her drink her eyes dancing in amusement  but she would not linger hoping that one of the two would guess at her disguise - for she had used the cyper on their missives - so it would be an easy thing. Her perfume was unusual in that she did not think any woman of her knowing used such a mixture so that too might entice   .....

She has yet to make up her mind about this Auction and if she would have a part in it. Her brother would be here unwillingly she deduced employing his usual stance. She then thought that the dreadful Eleanor might be here as well so her gaze went again to all the various groups but it was impossible to place identies - save for one and that was Lady Toledo for no other had the physical proportions - and of course her own Mistress. She made to continue on yet her eyes went to her Lover's lingering for a few moments before she smiled and walked on.

Enter the Dragon

He had once called her fire, and so fire she had become.

A tall lady in a full red dragon mask entered the drawing room. She was wearing a crimson and gold velvet gown that was cut daringly low and ruby earrings swung from her ears. No matching necklace adorned her neck. Her auburn hair was braided with red and gold ribbons and arranged in a fashionable coiffure with a few curls left loose to tumble over one shoulder.

She had come to bid one one man and one man only, though if she didn't win him, she would be open to other options.

Swanning In

A few minutes later, a petite shapely blonde walked in. Her half-mask was white and feathered, representing a swan.  It was accented with gleaming pearls, which also formed a border around the eye holes. Feathers adorned her golden hair. She was wearing a light blue dress liberally sprinkled with pearls as well as a pearl necklace and earrings. On one hand was a simple pearl ring. One gentleman would recognize her, though there were two to whom she wished to speak tonight.

More Arrivals

Other ladies trickled in. There was a tall stately blonde in a mermaid disguise, as well as a dark-haired woman who carried herself proudly, in a golden half-mask sparkling with jewels. Two ladies entered together … a brunette wearing a mask that represented the sun, and the other, whose locks were honey-blonde, in a mask that represented the moon.

A thin dark-haired lady was disguised as a calico cat, while a blonde wore a half-mask of rainbow colors with a rainbow tiara upon her head. Following the rainbow were two girls in identical white masks painted with a variety of flowers and trimmed with lace.

One of the more spectacular masks was that of a peacock, complete with plumed headdress, worn by a shapely girl with raven hair who looked around as if she had never been in the Scarlet Drawing Room before.

STAG

Unsure of how effective she might be preceived yet determined nontheless she entered with head held high. She did not at first know what to do in regards to a 'mask' and so she had returned to the portrait and studied it again and when she noticed what had been so well displayed and was a thing she KNEW and so it was decided.

Chocolate brown velvet hid her eyes and covered her nose. A scrolled patter combined of gold metalic threads and soft yellow and shades of green silk wound its way upwards to her hairline where her hair was piled and curled and nestled amongst them were two smal antlers. Her gown was the same velvet worn as a closed skirt with the a strip of black velvet three inches wide ran round beaded with an abundance of gold glass beads and pearls in a floral pattern. Her bodice echoed it again and her sleeves were a golden brocade that had the same beading pattern. She wore a circlet of topaz's around her neck and in her ears. Her scent was an Earthy combination that called to mind a forrest fresh and clean.

She was not there to bid and had come ahead of any of the Family. Her steps took her to a place where she could observe and as she settled into her line of sight came the one that she had been missing.

Charles and the Unicorn

There was movement near the podium, Unicorn sensed that the event was near to begin – but she could not let Charles escape before responding to that last.

“Oh yes low stakes.” He does not believe that does he? “Yet on the same grounds as your own” being practise, I insist.  Beneath me he may be, but perhaps it a position I enjoy. I shall handle Cadogan, Charles – truly, I insist.”

Auction Rules (drawn from BG's Auctions of past season)

OOC~ Since we have done away, mostly, with accounting ledgers for players, bidding in this auction will be done with auction credits established by wealth level of the character bidding.

Impoverised; 100 credits

Financially Secure: 1000

Financial Well-to-do: 2000

Financial Abundance: 3000 credits 

Characters may give credits to other characters. If you have an NPC patron, they might give you some of their credits, for example. If you spend substantially all of your credits, you may be precluded from making any other large purchases of ordinary items for this current summer mini-season.

All

"Ladies and gentlemen," Mr Killigrew declared "could I have you take your seats please?" He waited for the small crowd to respond before repeating himself more loudly...

"We need to begin, as there are many items to sell here," he declared with a touch of humor and nod to the assembled gentlemen.  A number of ladies present tittered. 

Auction 1.

"The first gentleman has traveled far to be with us, native to Her Majesties own homeland and favorite of her household."  he presented Sebastian Von Bruhl who moved into place for the ladies to view. 

"Who will start the bidding at 100?"

Auction 2.

"Do not be shy my lord May, step up." Killigrew prompted the next (older) figure to stand up alongside.  Baptist had been volunteered up on a technicality, attendance was not of his own volution! 

"Who will start the bidding at 5?"  Killigrew amused himself with this dig to an old friend.

Auction 3.

"And without firther ado,  Ladies please admire the specimen of Chatham." Charles Audley was called up to take his turn. 

"Who will start the bidding at 50?"  

OOC~ In interests of time consecutive auctions are run at the same time.  Please cite the auction number with your bid     Bidding runs for 48hrs & will stop at 15:00 Sat Eastern Standard Time.

Esteban was a studious fellow, it had been an easy guess that the Ambassador was still at his office. George nodded, thinking to himself 'just so.' 

“Ah, Lady Frances." His tone was deliberately neutral, he could easily guess that Frances had said something or rather to Sophia.  And again with the ladies art lessons - he was over it and had not even given one yet!  (What artist actually wanted to teach?)   "Her father is against it."  Lessons, or anything else.   He decided to inform Sophia fully then, "She is near betrothed already, I expect their announcement to come soon."  Was his bitterness of the art subject related to disappointment of the girl. He'd pinned some hope on her this season, but for naught.

Killigrew begun the proceedings, and here the Earl watched the manner in which it was done.  The kings Master of Revels seemed light hearted of it, George chuckled as Thomas jested of May's less-than-keen.  Perhaps this would not be so bad after all.  

Still, the man wondered to the identities behind the masks, it dawning upon him that whoever they were he had no hopes of this one or that one. He had yet to meet the lady who he could plot a future with, if such a woman even existed. 

Charles and the Unicorn

This was worrying. Perhaps she had no deeper interest in Cadogan than she professed to. Perhaps she had no knowledge of the secrets Charles would much rather stay buried. Charles did not think that she did, truly. She would surely not behave as she had thus far if that were the case. But the risks to himself if she did were such that he had to assume that was the case. Easier by far to deal with the consequences if he erred on the side of caution and paranoia than if he did not. Quietly, a part of him began reconsidering the idea of murder.

Those considerations passed through his mind mostly without ever rising to the level of conscious thought, the assessments and calculations occurring in the same instinctual fashion as they did when matching blades. He leaned back, letting a little of his irritation (and jealousy, for that had not dispersed with his conclusions) filter through to his expression.

"Well, I shan't stop you from weaving your webs where and as you will," he told her, looking to inject the forced casualness of a man striving to master himself into his voice. "And I certainly shan't forbid you to see him, if only because it is bad practice to issue commands one knows will be defied." He laughed. "But I will keep up my own association with him, too, for the reasons I have already given. Between the two of us we should soon have him dancing a merry jig, hmm?"

Called to Auction

He might have gone on, had Killigrew not then announced the beginning of the event proper.

"The game is afoot," he said instead, sweeping a bow as he took his leave. "Good hunting."

(If the bitch bid on him he would have to kill her, then everyone else in the room, and finally quite possibly himself, so great would be the humiliation. He would not put it past her. A pity, as under other circumstances an assignation with her might well prove extremely diverting.)

Charles had been amused and vaguely contemptuous of this whole enterprise since he had first heard of it. The whole thing, it seemed to him, was nothing more than the frightened kittens and aged cats of court playing at being tigresses, while the crowned German baggage took advantage of their largesse and used it to try and win the love and admiration of a people he strongly suspected she had no understanding, respect, or liking for. (Charles had conceived quite a dislike for the Queen, on what he would cheerfully admit was no basis whatsoever.) Actually experiencing the auction had merely strengthened the contempt and added vexation to the mixture. He found himself irked both by what he deemed the almost insultingly low price Killigrew had set — whatever about his face and missing eye, Charles was charming, well-formed and titled — and the company he found himself following to the auction lot.

The Royal Chief Pander, and a German of no distinction save his nationality.

But there would be no benefit to letting that show, for if the Baggage was not here herself then her creatures certainly were. Charles strolled forward to join Killigrew at the front of the room. It was his opinion that there was an art to most things, and that was certainly true of walking. Charles moved in a fluid saunter, every muscle loose, looking to neither side as he advanced, the gait of a man familiar with the concept of limits only in an intellectual sense. Reaching the front of the room he leaned against the platform with studied insouciance, lips curved into a relaxed, amused smile as he swept his gaze over the assemblage of masked ladies.

(And if a hint of his derision for the whole process showed through at the corners of his mouth, well, Charles could not bring himself to care overmuch.)

Edited by Charles Audley

Nicci had not intended to go to the Batchelor auction, recent events had her consider that she might paint herself as 'exclusive to one'.  But it was one of the very last evenings of the season and in her reign as Lady of Misrule...   

... so she'd strolled about the palace looking for some other fun, but found the company of her peers (all other unmarried ladies at court) was missing. Even her best friend and newest friend were nowhere to be found.  There was simply nothing else for it, but to take up one of the provided masks and to step into the Scarlet Drawing room.

She chose the mask that made her think of theatre, a mask that smiled on one said and cried on the other. 

Comedy & Tragedy

'This shall must be where the fun is.' the Mistress of Misrule thought to herself as she amused herself with a hopped step into the room before looking about.  Heavens, and it has already begun! 

Mr Killigrew was cheerfully announcing gentlemen, some of whom she'd never even met! Not that she would hold that against them of course, she happened to adore men of all sort!

Auction 1. 

Who is that lady Brown Owl to bid so high?  Nicci looked towards the German man, wondering how much fun he was.  Shall Louis mind awfully Nicci thought after she'd already bid  "110!

Auction 2.

Was baptist May a member of the Merry Gang? Nicci was not absolutely sure, but knew him to be very close to the King (he'd been there the day of the Snowball fight, and at the lest knew how to become part of the background when a lady was trying to snog the royal person).  Also, he was going at a bargain price! That simply would not do for someone that CR Treasured. "115!"

Louis probably would have kittens if he knew how generous his cousin was being. 

Auction 3.

Nicolette clapped her hands when Killigrew 'announced' Chatham. "I will start the bidding Mr Killigrew!" she crowed, having a fine time already.  This recently arrived one eyed Earl had managed to charm any number of Courts ladies, Nicci was but one who had delighted in his company.  Even though he was yet to complete the dares she'd set him, "... at 20!" 

She set the Earl a cheeky grin, teasing him with her below reserve offer.  She was quite certain that Chatham, with ego enough, would see it as the cheery poke that she intended.

No Louis would not mind, for it was for the sake of charity. 

BEE

Well. So THAT was how this was to be done? Her gaze shifted to where another sat but it was impossible to see any facial reactions behind that mask and so might her manner be a clue of approval or not? But even in that she doubts any change would be noticed.

hmmmm  ....

Her gaze went back to the three 'on offer'.  She smiled as did many others' at the amount given to poor May then back to the Owl who stood beside seated Partridge as she indicated in favor of 'The German'. Interesting. Was she helping a fellow Countryman then or just wanting to move things along?

Neither of the three interested her - yet there was a tugg of playfullness to help as well but she dared not go aganist the other - would anyone else? As for Chatham his posturing provided amusement and she thinks that he really finds it all a bit beneath him yet he was curious as well. She looked him over fully her mask giving her the privilege thinking how different he was from her lover. His Rakish demeanour and that patch taken together hinted at the Man that lay beneath and she thinks he wouls be well-schooled in matters of the flesh.

But she did not bid. It was too early. Best to watch and see who amongst all the other masked creatures would.

Partridge & Brown Owl

The message bearing HRH's royal seal was delivered to Partridge in the midst of the initial bidding.  Karoline reponded with a look of curiosity and smile to the masked gentleman who delivered it.  What could this be?!

Breaking it open, she quickly read, and then smiled happily.  "Oh this is marvellous news..." she replied to the likely unknowing gentleman. Her Lord husband did enjoy his mischief!  Further, it was his seal upon her efforts this season - which made the young Queen very content. 

"Deliver this to Mr Killigrew..." she passed the note to Brown Owl.

And at a pause between the bidding Brown Owl did just that. 

“Oh,” Sophia said softly. All of her wonderful plans had just flown out the window. She had hoped that Lord Chichester would marry Frances so that they could join Esteban and herself for dinner parties and that the four of them would become great friends and go on excursions together. He must have asked her father if he could give her painting lessons and the Duke had refused. She didn't think Frances knew yet. And perhaps she and George had never fancied each other after all. His expression and tone of voice were indifferent.

He said nothing about giving her painting lessons and she decided never to mention it again. She had been wanting him to teach her since last spring, and it never occurred to her that she might have pushed too hard. Going after what she wanted was part of her straightforward if rather fanciful approach to life. In the past, it had gotten results. She had pushed Lord Kingston to allow her to marry Esteban so she could see Juan more often, and he had eventually made the arrangements.

Maybe a better approach to finding an art instructor would be to locate a woman in Madrid who was not only a magnificent painter but could also help her improve her Spanish, effectively killing two birds with one stone. Perhaps Juan could suggest the perfect candidate.

Master Killigrew announced that the auction was about to began and introduced the first three entrants. Sophia's heart leapt in her chest when she heard the name 'Chatham' and it fluttered wildly in her chest as the entrancing Earl sauntered boldly to the front of the room. Oh how she adored his smile, and his form, and … and everything else about him. Exquisite sensations meandered through her young body, compelling and intense. Oh, how I wish I could win you, she thought.

She had brought the letter she had written to him with her, hoping to give it to him tonight. It seemed as if it was trying to burn a hole through the pocket in her petticoat, eager for him to read it. Though she tried not to stare, she found her gaze drawn in his direction and had to keep pulling it away. She hoped that he saw her and that they would find an opportunity to speak to her before the night was over.

The young blonde looked up at Lord Chicester, attempting to turn her attention away from Charles. “At least you're not one of the first,” she said. “You can watch the others and will be ready when your turn comes.” Impulsively, she reached over and squeezed his hand. “The lady who wins you will be the luckiest woman here.”

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

Anne-Elisabeth complimented her on being so willing to help on that occasion.

"Yes well I do have to, on occasion, do some good deeds to try and balance all the not so nice ones of my past. I am still behind in that ledger though," Caroline quipped.

The young ladies agreed on their mutual friend, Nicci, hardly surprising really. Caroline felt if someone did not like Nicci then she really had no interest in mixing with them.

When the countess worried about her role in the bidding, giving good reasons for her lack of confidence, Caroline simply waved it all off, "You overthink this. Just have fun. And why would any man not wish to spend time with you. Are are positively beautiful  and a fresh face in court too. I would advise you bid. Of course I do not know your financial situation but do not bid yourself into ruin. No man is worth that, especially for one night."

Anne-Elisabeth was asking then for further advice. Who to bid on? And she qualified by saying she wanted her bids to go to the more libertine sort of gentlemen. Fair enough.

"If I show you those, then you might well be my competition in this bidding. I honestly do not know many of these men here tonight...I mean I know of them, their names and the like. But I can point out to you who attended my last party. Alright...so it was my first party but you know what I mean. It was a most libertine affair I will admit. Oh and included in attendance was His Royal Majesty," Caroline thought that worthy of name-dropping.

Now the auction was starting so the ladies joined the audience as the bidding was about to begin.

Caroline remained with her hands in her lap for the first two men to auctioned off, she had zero interest in either. However she did obviously know Chatham, her one eyed Minister of Evil in their silly conversation of the past. They had got along splendidly ever since that first night when he rescued her from missing the concert when her carriage broke down. It was an insult really, that opening bid for the man. How embarrassing. Caroline frowned then put up one manicured hand as she called out.

"I bid 350!"

ooc:   So   350 on Auction #3

Her tone held disappointment. Oddly,  it appeased George's own sensibilities to hear another saddened of it all too.  Frances had seemed quite perfect in every way, had seemed willing to love him despite his many faults...

But he reminded himself that marriage, while important especially for a man in his position, was not his primary focus this season. He was determined to make a slow and steady repair to his reputation, with a hope that next season, or perhaps the following after that, he would be kindly looked upon by prospective father ln laws.

This pesky Bachelor auction was just bringing this past seasons disappointment back to mind - he recognised the old well warn coat of depression nearing him, and tried not to put it on.

The auction was beginning. 

And Estebans little wife was sweet with a well wish.  "That is kind of you to say, Lady Toledo."  Her well wish was like when your Mother calls you handsome: it was a kindness that wasn't necessarily anything related to the actual truth. 

Auction 3 was proving to be quite exciting!  200, then 350 --  what had Audley been up to to provoke such passionate bidding?  

"375!"

Nicolette could not resist joining the band wagon, though assuming her bid would be swiftly be surpassed (thus sh'ed never need to tell Louis anything about it.)   Belatedly she crossed fingers to that very hope, and looked around the room... please someone bid again!

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

On the Block

For a long moment (it seemed to him) there was silence, and Charles felt the satisfaction of being proved right, that this was nothing more than a gathering of kittens and rabbits and lambs and assorted other easily-frightened animals. Then a voice rang out (one he fancied he recognised) and entered a bid.

Twenty.

Charles mockingly reeled backwards as if struck, a hand coming up to his chest as though clutching at a mortal wound. Straightening, he laughed, a rich peal of genuine amusement, and raised a finger in a fencer's salute to the woman wearing the Grecian theatre mask.

"Come now," he called back mischievously, "the eye went for more than that." He turned his head to highlight the patch. He had no idea if he was supposed to interact with the audience like that, but damn it, he was participating, and that was as far as he was willing to play along.

His approach seemed to be working too, for a young lady in mask like the sun entered a much more respectable bid of two hundred. He could not place her at all, but grinned toothily in her direction anyway. 

"Should I try posing d'you think?" he asked Killigrew, pitching his voice to carry. He was enjoying himself now, he realised, raking his gaze once more over the masked crowd. He paused his scan momentarily to admire the figure of a lady wearing a butterfly mask. He felt a warm hunger stir as he realised who it was. Between the hair, the height and the bustline, it had to be Sophia. For a moment he considered toying with his cravat pin, but that might make him appear nervous, and that was unacceptable. He would have to seek her out later, if the opportunity presented itself.

The auction reclaimed his attention as another familiar voice entered a bid. He looked about for the source, and found her wearing a demonic mask, which stuck him as somehow appropriate. No shrinking violet, the lady he had named Hippolyta. He grinned at her too, and waggled his eyebrows for good measure.

In truth, he might well have been satisfied with such a price, but it seemed there was at least one twist left, as the lady who had opened the bidding reentered it, albeit this time at a price much more acceptable to his ego. Idly, he wondered if he really had put himself about court that much. It had not seemed so at the time, but in retrospect perhaps he had been .

A lady in a bee mask approached with a familiar air to her.  Sapphire eyes locked with his own, if but for a moment.  Could it be his own Davina?  She was the right height and build.  And that mask ... it tantalized him.  Charles' ardor grew by the second.  Maybe she was leaving to have him follow her to a cloak room where he might ravage her.  That mask stimulated his thinking in that regard.  He did not typically ravage Davina.  That was reserved for Catherine mostly, because they both enjoyed it so.

Taking his leave from Francis, Charles was thinking of following the Bee.  Other ladies entered.  The Dragon, all in crimson and rubies.  He had given ruby earrings to Fiona in a daring move.  Could it be her?  He had been convinced to do nothing but torment Cat's sister but seeing her ... in that mask.  His breath quickened, as did the blood flow to all parts of his body.  Thoughts about following her into a cloak room and throwing her against the wall and ... .

Then the Swan arrived.  He knew the identity behind it, for it was his swan.  Charles had not harbored sexual appetite for Susan, but she looked so fine in that feathered swan mask, leading him to wonder how that swan might like a visit to the cloak room. 

He forced his eyes away but he saw various ladies in various masks, some more alluring than others.  The lady in the Butterfly mask was very comely, and that mask added so much spice that he could imagine her whispering wanton things in his ear.  He needed to get a grip over his emotions.  The best way was to look towards the Queen.  She served to sober him almost immediately.  The Partridge and Brown Owl did not look particularly alluring.  There was a Demon, Tiger, Mermaid, Cat, Peacock and a Unicorn.  All held their own appeal.  To contain his excitement, Charles turned to watch the men on display.  Audley was goading the ladies into bidding more.  Was that proper?  Would he do the same?  No, that is the work of theater he told himself.