JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Shot Taken For England | 3rd 3pm- Xmas 1677

Robert Saint-Leger

The Ladies

The competition began. Anne-Elisabeth jumped at the first boom, but the story Nicci told about the Danby fellow was so interesting that she tuned everything else out. “He doesn’t' sound very smart.” She rolled her eyes. “He should know that kidnapping would have consequences, even if things had turned out as he planned. I would love to know more about the entire situation. Perhaps there was a method to his madness.” Maybe she could find out exactly what had happened during recess. She planned on staying in London anyway.

The shooting continued and the Countess clapped and cheered along with her friends, all the while sipping her hot chocolate. When she had finished her first mug, she signaled a servant for another and took a big gulp to make room for another healthy splash of coconut rum.

Caroline's childhood had been quite unusual. Anne-Elisabeth couldn't even imagine growing up in a war zone. “That sounds horrible!” she exclaimed. What kind of father would subject his child to the horrors of war? “I hope you didn't stay there long.”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ladies

Nicci was hardly surprised when Caroline did not quiz for more about Danby - but Anne Elizabeth's interest was sharp as a tack.  "But that is exactly IT," Nicci nodded approvingly, "He is renown as one of the great minds of the realm, and not a reckless man by nature at all.  There is something far more significant going on - but who can even guess at what it is."   

Nicolette had needed a lady friend to talk about such things with, cousin Louis was just too male and his logic far too constrained and sensible. Ladies however were the best at imagining these little gems of information to entirely new heights.  "What do you think it could be Alyssa?" she quizzed, accidentally letting her pet name out of the bag.

"Oh." Nicci looked from Anne Elizabeth to Caroline, if there was ever a time for Lady Cambray to allow Lady Kendishall use of the informality it was now!  Nicci was ready to talk quickly past the slip thus cover it. 

"It does sound horrible." Nicolette agreed.  It was the first time she'd heard this of Caroline’s upbringing too, though she knew very well of the influence of military things - she'd never realised it had been as real as shells flying over her very bed.  Though Caroline was pragmatic if it, and spoke about it in her very frank and honest way.

"But she is quite English now." Nicci added, amending Caroline’s bold French claims, "and not catholic at all." 

Though perhaps Huguenot Nicolette was completely wrong about that for, unsurprisingly, religion was another topic they had never discussed.   

It was a fine sort of afternoon busy with manly things. George deferred the shooting to those others more qualified.  While he was known to go duck shooting at times in Chichester (shooting shot from a gun loaded by his manservant), he was not prepared to put his hit and miss accuracy upon show for all in sundry.   

Fortunately Lord Beverly had been correct, and in the rush of things nobody noticed. 

So it was he uttered male-ful 'well dones', as and when, with exclamations such as 'whoa, how many pounds cannon ball was that?!" 

He tried to sound like he understood the warfare of it, though he was rather more interested in the artistry of the designs of these war machines. So it was he was also heard to comment, "Ah...look at the craftsmanship on that guns handle."   While his eyes particularly delighted at one pieces filigree and enamel work on that metal bit around where the barrel attaches to the handle. 

George would never make a military man, but was perfectly happy to support those who knew it. 

Edited by George Hardwick III

Caroline agreed with Anne-Elisabeth, this Danby did not sound all that intelligent, especially for one who was supposed to be a government official. Not that he was anymore. More like a fugitive. His problem, Caroline dismissed it for it had nothing to do with her life.

"Alyssa?" Caroline raised one eyebrow, not sure where that suddenly came from, Nicci oft amused her and sometimes puzzled her too. But she was never boring and Caroline hated boring.

As for the siege which horrified, rightly, the other two ladies, Caroline shrugged, "You could not really leave, it was a siege afterall, the enemy had us penned in."

Nicci stuck up for her and Caroline appreciated it, not that she worried that Anne-Elisabeth might for some reason turn hostile. They were simply conversing.

"Indeed I am English, I married an English lord, I have no one over in France nor any properties. This is my home. But it does not mean I want war with France," Caroline declared.

As for the religious part, she left that untouched. What difference did it make anyhow?

The Ladies

“I need to know more about him and his situation before I can come up with a good theory on why he behaved the way he did,” Anne-Elisabeth replied. “If he's as intelligent as you say, he must have been desperate to resort to kidnapping. Hopefully, I can learn his story during recess since I'll be staying here in London.”

She didn't even realize that Nicci had used her nickname until Caroline repeated it. “Alyssa is a shortened form of Anne-Elisabeth.” Her gaze swept over both ladies. “You know how I got that nickname? I gave it to myself.  When I was a small child, I couldn't pronounce my real name. Alyssa was as close as I could come. So everyone else started calling me that too.”

Caroline seemed adamant that she not be thought of as French. “Devereux is a French name, so my late husband's family probably has French ancestors.  I don't want war with anyone. It's just a waste of good men.”