JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Shot Taken For England | 3rd 3pm- Xmas 1677

Robert Saint-Leger

Langdon was in a jocular mood in the presence of these men.  Not known for being a comedian, Charles nevertheless feeling in rare form.  When Audley pointed to his single eye in self-deprecation, Langdon almost mentioned that perhaps there should be a 50 percent discount to the bidding, but he stayed his tongue fortunately.  Had he been in his cups, he might have given voice to the thought.  Instead, he thought to evoke laughter with a different tactic.  "I, for one, would not mind fleeing from a room of young ladies ... as long as they were in hot pursuit," he chuckled.

He found himself looking into the distance occasionally to see if other females might arrive.   He was a decent shot with firearms, but he was no marksman.  He preferred pistols at close range and then using them as a club.

"Lord Beverley," the Earl inquired "is there any particular agenda this afternoon?"  He was not sure whether there would be a set time for a competition or whether it was largely informal.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She had changed for Cousin Beverly's event - though you could hardly tell what was beneath due to the white fur cloak and hat that was her favourite.  Practising her style in front of the mirror at home she'd worked out how to swing her movement just so as to provide peeks of her skirts of violet with lavender stripes. But no amount of movement was going to reveal the lovely purple ribbon that was fastened about her middle. 

Luxurious furs were all very well, but she was growing very ready for the lightness of Spring. 

Approaching the Knightsbridge grounds, she quickly saw the area designated for the ladies. Alissa was already there.  Nicci smiled and hastened near, "My friend, we meet again!" naturally she placed air kisses above her cheeks before turning to view the men, "I have not missed anything have I?!"

"Ooh look, so many have gathered already."  To hear her speak you would almost think that the event was arranged entirely for her viewing pleasure. 

Spotting Beverly Nicci gave an excitable wave.  "That one there, the one in red uniform with sash of blue, that is our host Lord Beverly."  She was happy to advise Anne Elizabeth, "You shall die when you meet him, he has eyes so soulful, wide and innocent - you would never imagine him to be a decorated soldier. Really, a hero."   Was Beverley actually decorated? Nicci did not know, but the phrase was pleasingly flattering.  She did not actually belief that the charming man could ever have possibly killed someone, more likely he'd never even scolded a wayward puppy.  

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

The Ladies

Anne-Elisabeth stood by the fire,  her hands held toward it, watching the gentlemen from a distance. She had not expected them to acknowledge her, so she wasn't disappointed that she was ignored. Observing was perfectly fine with her, and she knew that at least one lady was planning to join her. She had brought three bottles of rum just in case the men mingled with the women later. It was always best to be prepared. One bottle only went so far.

And there was her dear friend now, looking as lovely as ever in her snow white fur. The Countess had white furs as well, but she had not yet worn them this year. “And your company is as enjoyable now as it was this morning.” She air-kissed Nicci too and shook her head at her question. “Nothing has happened yet. They're just talking and admiring each other's guns.” A light chuckle accompanied her last remark.

She followed Nicolette's gaze over to the gentlemen she described. “I met him briefly at the sleigh race, but I was too busy composing a limerick to pay him much mind. He was with his wife, I believe. He does look quite handsome in uniform. Do you know the other gentlemen? I see Lord Kingston, Lord Chatham, and that awful Lord Ogle, but the others I have not yet met.”

The Ladies

"Whose is the biggest after all?" Nicci laughed with her friend,  the double entondre had her then suggest "Oh but once it is done you shall have to compose a poem about the event wont you!" 

One of the darling servants came forward with hot drink that the Host had arranged. "Chocolate?" Nicci hoped as she peered into the cup, taking a sip.  It see, med a perfect warming start for the event.   "I wonder if a splash of rum would add to the tastiness? We drink Cognac in our brandy at home regularly, Cousin Louis learnt it from a visit with Duke Buckingham did you know." 

But chatter was correctly directed towards the gathering participants in todays sport.  "His new wife even." Nicolette added for Anne Elizabeth’s benefit, "I attended their wedding just last season, she is very well qualified of course, though the event was hardly as excessive as you might have thought."  While she recalled the reports of her cousin Louis's wedding, where carriages had gone through the streets scattering coins for throngs of gathering folks, and the ceremony at Westminster had been later dwarfed by the reception.   Cousin Louis possessed a vastly different display of achievement than Cousin Beverly - though both had married well.

Many of the group were known of to Anne Elizabeth, but some were not.   So Nicci begun:

"Well the older gentleman is the Duke York, you remember Lady O'Roarke I spoke of, she is his mistress. Publicly." which counted as an achievement too.  "His group look to all be from his household.  Though I am not sure if the other elder gent resides within? That is Major-General Ashburnham, while the younger Ashburnham's position is usually beneath His Majesties wing."  Nicci watched the younger, he was one of those infinitely charming young cavaliers who's  finishing was overseen by the crown. 

York's group came closer and one could see that the two gentlemen from his household accompanying him were John Churchill, a Colonel if you counted his most last service in France, and Sir George Legge, a Naval captain who governed Portsmouth. Both were blond with blue eyes, John younger and George taller. The two Johns were sharing words as York talked with Sir George while the group neared. 

By the time they arrived, their queue was joined by the Duke of Ormonde.

York smiled as George made his quip about gambling. He truly enjoyed being flattered. There had been some new talk of Chichester lending support to their Naval causes which he appreciated. "Ha! Right you are!"

John Churchill saw Chatham but could not extricate himself from his current company yet. Instead he gave him an incline of the head. He was welcome to join them. It would be an advantageous introduction. 

Hopefully he did not bring Lord Langdon with....

"There are many military men here today, though, my lord," Churchill allowed, being the sort that also saw the benefits of spreading some sycophancy around. 

"Steep competition," Sir George allowed. 

Beverley, Winchelsea and Charleses

"They are by far the most interesting, are they not?" Charles agreed with Finch of forthright women.

And it is nice, upon occasion, not to have to be the one making all the running.

But that was not a thought that needed to be voiced in his current company.

He smiled along with Beverley as the younger man ruminated on how the shooting might affect the bidding. 

"Hmm. So quite apart from our competitive instincts and patriotic obligation, one could argue, given that the better our performance, the better for the Queen's charities, that we have a spiritual duty to endeavour to out do one another?" He shook his head, entertained. "And thus from the seed of the sin of pride, springs the sweet fruit of charity. Ha. I would be a much better Christian if I could perform all my good works so." he mused idly, before giving a loud bark of amusement as Beverley continued.

"No, thankfully, I shall be spared such demands upon my purse for a while yet."

Charles had earlier acknowledged, if only to himself, the possibility that he might have misjudged Langdon, but had not seriously considered the idea. He did now, laughing again as Langdon suggested that fleeing from a room of young women was perhaps not necessarily the humiliation Charles had said. (His estimation of the other man would have risen yet higher if Langdon had ventured to make the first witticism that occurred to him. Charles appreciated that sort of cheek.)

"I suppose there is that," he agreed, still chuckling, "but even in that case I think I might prefer to stand my ground." He waggled his eyebrows.

Chatham catches sight of Churchill

Charles might have warmed to the subject had he not gotten a proper look at the Duke of York's entourage, and made out at last the familiar sight of his oldest friend. It took him a moment to recognise the man John was speaking to as young Ashburnham.

I've met him, haven't I? At the end of the first ball. I seem to recall being impressed, though I can't remember why, and I was somewhat inebriated.

Charles returned John's nod, and then bowed apologetically to his companions.

"Excuse me gentlemen, but I must greet an old friend. Good luck."

Tucking his gun case under his arm, Charles tipped his hat, and moved off to hail the two Johns.

About the Duke York

George had not officially 'met' the elderly gent within York's group, though divined by the consideration given him that he was one of the Fathers of the Restoration.  His opening jibe went down well, York laughed. It was a relief! to George (who had suddenly worried that the Duke might have taken umbrage over one or another of his sloshes about in courts puddles!) 

"Then my hours of reflection have not been unproductive!" He gave a further bowlike nod to the Duke's mirth, making referance to time spent in the Tower.  Somebody had vouched for him for his incarceration to have been so breif, there was a good chance that man had been the Duke.

Churchill took in the wider view and commented of it aptly. "There is that." George turned, noticing a brief connection between John and the man Chatham which then drew the other over, a military man of skill perhaps?  "Have you insider knowledge! I shall hedge my bets accordingly if this is one of our fine nations crack-shots." 

It seemed likely that Churchill would move apart to greet the man known to him. 

George turned back to the Duke and his elder companion. "I note that some queer devices have been brought.  That tool that Kingstone sports is an odd fish indeed. It shall be shot today surely, or I shall be disappointed! Has My Gentlemen* brought anything out of the usual from your armoury?"

* Used as inclusive term to respectfully include Major-General Ashburnham in the question, while not actualy knowing his name or how to address him. 

"Ah, but one man cannot fire a cannon, Your Highness, and neither is any pistol very accurate in a fray. It is more a 'point at the middle of the largest group coming at you' and hope for the best. If all five barrels could be made to fire at once, it would be just as useful as five brave - but scared - boys with muskets or pistols, and far lighter in any number of situations. An enterprising man could get off a shot with a musket, fire this contraption, and still whack a man in the head and run one through before needing to get overly creative."

Francis had a life education that Cumberland could likely understand with amusement, from having done his own privateering during exile, but Francis clearly thought of the matter as someone who had once seen far too many people coming at him at once. Boarding ships was a nasty business with shards of wood, metal, and man-bits flying around as well as smoke, sails, masts, a million ropes, and a maze of random cargo, munitions, and bodies all over. From his perspective, no gun was ever accurate in that scenario something that fired five balls ahead of you would be a welcome addition if only for your sense of bravado. 

Whether it did much or not was rather immaterial in that way.

To answer the other Duke's question, Francis chuckled, "No, to gift it to someone who could make such a thing practical, Your Grace." Then he added conspiratorially, "But perhaps we can convince one of these enterprising fellows to do so. As I said, I prefer to leave the ordnance to experts. Ships and swords are more my forte."

The Ladies

“I can't tell from this distance. Their guns look so small. Just don't tell them I said that.”

Anne-Elisabeth accepted a mug of hot chocolate from the servant who offered it. “I also think it would be heavenly. Let's try it. I brought three bottles with me in case the gentlemen join us when their business is done.”

Without having to be told, Bess took a bottle of coconut rum from the bag, opened it, and handed it to her mistress. The Countess sipped a bit of chocolate so that there would be room in the cup for the rum, poured a bit in, and then handed the bottle to Nicci. “Mmmmmm, it's perfect. Cognac and brandy sounds like an interesting combination. Perhaps I shall try it.”

So Lord Beverley had only been married last season and his wedding had not been extravagant. Maybe he was one of those nobles who were constantly strapped for money. She hoped that she never found herself in that situation. “Well, I hope they're both happy. So many couples aren't these days.” Which was perfectly fine with her, as lonely husbands often made passionate and generous lovers.

Lady Cambray looked toward the group that Nicolette pointed out to her. She knew who the Duke of York was, but now had a face to put with the name. Lady O'Roarke and Lord Dorset, she recalled, had been briefly and unwillingly wed. Had their marriage occurred before or after she had become the Duke's mistress?   “Good for her,” she said. Not many ladies were bold enough to flaunt their position as a mistress as many courtiers looked down on them for it. "She sounds like a lady I would love to meet."

She studied the younger Ashburnham. From a distance, he seemed rather attractive and if he was close to the King, he might be a good person to become acquainted with. Idly, she wondered if he was as dull as Lord Ogle or if he was as flirtatious and sharp-witted as she was. Maybe she would get the opportunity to find out.

“And who are the gentlemen around Lord Kingston?” she asked, taking another sip of hot chocolate laced with coconut rum.  "More  seem to be arriving every moment.  This is turning into every lady's paradise."

The Ladies

"Yes, I promise!" Nicci laughed, even as he held out her hot chocolate for a tot a coconut rum. 

"Darling, your maid." she mentioned to Anne Elizabeth as the Countess took the servants job of pouring.  How odd?  It must have been due to the excitement of the moment. Nicci let the maid do that part, and with a nod of thanks. 

"Blissfully so, his Lady wife is utterly charming, and with not a jot of nonsense about her."  Claimed she of Beverley’s love life.

As she identified this one and that one to the new arrival at court, dawned on Mlle Vauqulin that she'd made acquaintance of a great many of English court.  This one and then that one, it happened so slowly over the course of the past year that she'd not even realised. 

"I hope you do too. She is daring and bold, so bold that ... you know the Royal theatre that burnt down? The one in Drury lane, she had gifted a painting of herself in the role of Godiva for their foyer.  I hope it was able to be saved from the flames."   How many noble women had nude painting of themselves hung up in public. Yes Heather was a very special sort. 

Anne Elizabeth directed her attention onward to Francis and his group. "In the admiral uniform is Prince Rupert of the Rhine, or you may know him as Duke Cumberland.  He is firmly attatched to Mrs Hughes, a witty and wonderful lady - though she is not so accepted by many of courts matrons upon account of her origins.  Both common and an Actress.  But I think her perfectly wonderful.  Doesn’t the Prince look sharp in his costume, I think he like to be dressed that way." 

"Mmm... oh next to Lord Ogle is his father, I believe - I’ve not met him myself.  He looks quite humourless don’t you think. But then with Ogle as a son, I can understand."   She gave a little laugh.  "Yes, a paradise indeed. I hope Lady Kendishall arrives soon..." she turned to look down the way. It felt like ages since she'd seen her dearest friend - she was very eager to introduce her to Elizabeth Anne!   

The Ladies

“If you pour it yourself, then you know that you're getting the perfect amount,” Anne-Elisabeth explained. She could be quite finicky about some things, and when it came to mixing drinks, she preferred to do it herself. Bess knew her habits, which was why she had handed the bottle of rum to her. She did pour some into Nicci's glass, though.

In truth, Lord Beverley's wife sounded rather boring. The no-nonsense types usually were. But maybe that was the kind of woman the gentleman preferred. Idly, she wondered what he would be like in bed, though if he completely entranced by his wife, he probably wouldn't even think of straying.

Lady O'Roarke, on the other hand, sounded intriguing. “She did?” the Countess asked, impressed. She had not heard about the theatre fire, but she too, hoped the painting had been saved, as she would like to see it. “That's more audacious than anything I have ever done.” Winking at her friend, she added: "so far.”

The Duke of Cumberland's name had not come up in any event she had attended in Cornwall, and she studied him now, an older man who did indeed look smart in his fancy uniform. And he had fallen in love with a common actress? Mrs. Hughes must be quite a woman to so charm a Prince. “He looks as if he was born in it,” she said about the Duke's uniform. “I think I should like to meet Mris, Hughes as well. I wonder if he brought her along with him today.”

Lord Ogle's father didn't interest her any more than his son did. “Like father, like son,” she quipped, wrinkling her nose in a humorous way. Anne-Elisabeth had not been aware that Nicolette had invited anyone else, but the more the merrier and she did remember her saying that Lady Kendishall was her best friend. “I hope she does too. We met at the sleigh race, remember? I would like to get to know her better, though.” Like her, Caroline was a young widow who was glad that her husband was gone.

Edited by Anne-Elisabeth Devereux

Francis

"Indeed," the Prince replied as he could imagine the scene Kingston conjured.  He gave a satisfied nod.

There was talk of a gift to someone who could use it, but neither duke assumed anything.  "Kingston, we should put on a demonstration ... for the ladies if nothing else," Newcastle offered as encouragement.

Rupert signaled two navy men that stood near his cannon.  They came over.  "Shall we have the volley gun loaded and fire it at those targets?"  There were some stuffed dummies mounted on poles driven into the ground.  "Kingston, will you do the honors?"

The Ladies

Knowing her newest friend was only from an island and not been bred to such things, Nicci made no fuss over the ‘pour your own drinks’ episode.  Likely this was a learning experience for her, and unlikely that she’d make the same mistake again.

“Yes Lady O'Roarke is a marvellous woman, there is really none other at court quite like her.”  Unless, had Nicci successfully managed to adopt the fun and carefree of her mentor? She could hope!

“Then to daring.” She raised cup and cheered on Anne Elizabeth’s reply, “and our portraits claiming a place in the Halls of Whitehall.”  Nicci had not even taken a sip of her drink before the thought occurred. “I wonder if Lady O’Roarke had actually wanted her Godiva portrait to be hung there?”  

For her part Nicci would far prefer a dressed portrait in the palace, than a naked one in a theatre. (Though she would want one breast exposed, for that was the height of ladies portrait fashion.) 

Mrs Hughes was nowhere to be seen.  “Prince Rupert looks so stuffy doesn’t he, but he must quite the libertine in secret.” The girls continued to muse upon Cumberland.

“Oh yes I forgot you have met.  Did it seem to you that Lady Kendishall enjoyed her pairing at the sleigh race?  It was so difficult to choose in the end, I did not see anyone who looked particularly delighted of any of it. Not even the winners smiled that much. When I cheered at the awards, I think I was the only one.  In some ways I shall be so glad when my Mistress of Misrule is over.”

Taking another sip of the drink she decided coconut rum and chocolate were a perfect mix. 

“Isnt that a strange gun that Lord Kingston is holding.”  Nicci pointed, thinking to pay a little attention to what the men were actually doing. 

Francis looked so fine.  

"It looks like they are going to fill it up with the powders now."   She noticed the target dummies.  "Ooh, lets name the dummies.   That one on the left, that is mine, I shall call him... Danby." 

Caroline had approached rather quietly in the snow and the ladies were so busy sipping drinks and chatting they did not even notice her until she was within easy talking range and hearing too. She caught the part about naming the target dummies. It was with a vicious smile she then announced her arrival loud enough for the women to hear.

"I would much prefer he be named Langdon."

"I see the battle has not yet begun..............armed nobility against inanimate objects. Another grand victory for England awaits no doubt," she quipped with more than a little dripping sarcasm as she reached Nicci for the traditional exchange of air kisses and then as much of a hug as one could manage in their warm furs.

The Ladies

“Yes, to daring acts and provocative portraits,” Anne-Elisabeth agreed, clicking her glass against Nicci's before taking a sip. Coconut and chocolate was an absolutely heavenly combination and she promised herself that she would buy a pretty flask and take some rum with her wherever she went, just in case she was offered hot chocolate.

“We must find a well-known painter to paint the portraits. We don't want them to look amateur.” The Countess wouldn't mind being portrayed in the nude. Her rich mane of raven hair was long enough to cover her naughty bits if it was arranged correctly. She didn't have the lush body that most gentlemen preferred, but she wasn't ashamed of being a bit on the thin side and she did have curves.  It would be nice to show off her legs too, which she thought were quite nice.  “I want to be portrayed as Aphrodite emerging from the sea. It could be painted by the ocean for more realism. Who do you want to represent in your painting?”

She chuckled at Nicci's assessment of Prince Rupert. “Princes are supposed to be stuffy. He's probably just putting on an act. He doesn't look like a libertine, but sometimes gentlemen hide their true nature. Wouldn't it be funny to see him at one of the Merry Gang's parties?”

Nicolette's question about Lady Kendishall was considered carefully. “I think she was pleased. I would have been too if I had been paired with Lord Kingston.” Anne-Elisabeth squeezed her friend's hand. “But I'm not angry with you for choosing Lord Ogle for me. It was better that I found out what he was like sooner rather than later."

Again, she squeezed Nicolette's hand. “I think you've been doing wonderfully as the Lady of Misrule, showing court that a woman is even more capable of the job than a man. Have you not been enjoying all of the attention? I know I would.”

Leaning forward in her seat, she studied Lord Kingston's gun. “It looks a bit like a fan. It must have some special purpose. Then again, I know very little about guns.”

Naming the dummies was a splendid idea, though Anne-Elisabeth had no clue who Danby was, other than that Nicolette wasn't fond of him. “I will name the one in the center Mary Devereux after my evil harpy of a mother-in-law. “And let's call the one beside yours Lord Ogle. It will be hilarious if he shoots himself!”

Lady Kendishall joined them and Anne-Elisabeth smiled at her. “You should get some hot chocolate. I have some coconut rum to spike it with. It's delicious.”

The Ladies

"It can only be Lely."  Nicolette answered swiftly.  It was well known that that royally-favoured artist was single-handedly painting the series 'Court Beauties'.  To be painted by him was to next to becoming immortal.  "Oh to be invited to sit!" 

"That would suit you." Nicci nodded of Elizabeth-Anne's imagined portrait setting. "Mine shall look cliché in compare, I would want to be stood at a balcony overlooking lush gardens and surrounded by beautiful and expensive things." How was it she was imaging the view from Lord Ranelaghs mansion over hsi edenesque setting. "I shall probably have a child or two with me, dressed like little dukes."  She did not imagine ever birthing girl children!

"Yes, that would be funny" Nicci remembered what Buckingham had told her of Cumberland, and wondered if she might apply a little cleverness and make that actually happen.  Nicci supposed she knew just the way to lure him to the Dukes Spring event. 

"Oh thankyou." Both relieved of her new friends forgiveness, and speculation that Caroline had bene happy with her sleigh-match, Nicci sighed with relief. "Well I thought it would be great fun, but it's just like they say, with great power comes great responsibility. I am simply too conscientious for this, I am afraid.  It is my failing." yet in contradiction (aka denial) she gave a cheery laugh.  Few might  know how much Nicci had fretted about her role.

Francis' gun was like naught they had seen before, drawing their wild speculation... it was easier for ladies to name target-dummies than identify guns! 

It was a timely moment for Caroline to arrive. 

"Ooh darling!" Nicci moved to gush air kisses and an embrace, drawing Caroline into the the fold (& swiftly motioning to servant to bring a further hot drink.)    "You have arrived just in time, I think they are going to do something soon! The men do enjoy to posture a good deal first, they want to make sure we are watching no doubt.." she giggled in manner of agreemnt with Caroline - and Anne Elizabeth was already offering tipple of coconut rum to spike the latest hot chocolate.   

"But you shall name the one on the other end Langdon then, we shall have one each." Nicci mediated that everyone was happy, "Lady Cambray, which of your names shall you use for the centre dummy; Oogle or Mary Devereux?"

"Did you know that we are currently minding the poor Hill boys that Danby abducted." She went on to inform... 

After their effusive greeting, Caroline turned toward Anne-Elisabeth, unsure if that woman was into such things so she contented herself with a big smile.

"Hello again! You are looking splendidly. And yes, that sounds delicious.....only can you put a little less chocolate and make up for it with a little more rum," she replied to the lady's offer, "Thank you."

"And yes, the menfolk always claim we are the chatty ones but they do like to gush on and on about their guns, their swords, their horses, their boats, their hunting dogs, and their sexual prowess. I believe much exaggeration goes on in most of those topics especially the last," Caroline declared.

Nicci's last tidbit of information was certainly news to Caroline.

"Indeed? Is it like Louis to actually do such a good deed?" she blinked, figuring she could throw a jibe at the man given who it was she was speaking to.

"I confess I do not know much about this whole Danby affair. If it is not wars, I do not much follow politics. I guess that comes from being brought up in a soldier's household," she shrugged.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

The Ladies

Anne-Elisabeth had heard of Lely, who was painting the most beautiful women at court. Nicolette would probably interest him, but she wasn't certain if she would. She knew she was not a classic beauty, but what she saw in her mirror was far from displeasing.   The Countess had that rare combination of full lips and high cheekbones, though her skin was golden rather than fashionably pale. Her raven hair was long, shiny,  luxurious, and curly.  Maybe he would  find the confidence in her golden brown eyes appealing or think her enigmatic smile made her look mysterious, as if she knew a secret that she would never tell.

She had expected something daring from her friend. Being painted surrounded by beautiful things and finely-dressed children seemed a bit tame. But perhaps that was her dream, to marry into great wealth and give her husband heirs. That gentleman she had spoken so fondly of was probably insanely rich and she was imagining her future with him.  "I can see you there," she said, "dressed beautifully, of course.

“Perhaps I shall be lucky enough to find the ring next year,” Anne-Elisabeth said of Misrule. “If I do, I hope you will give me pointers.” She was absolutely certain that she wasn’t too conscientious for the role. To be conscientious, one first had to have a conscience.

Lady Cambray was not against air kisses but she wasn't yet acquainted well enough with Caroline to initiate that kind of affection. It was also new to her, for in Barbados ladies had not greeted each other that way. “Drink as much of the chocolate as you wish,” she told her, “and my maid will pour in enough rum to fill your mug up again.” 

Caroline named one of the dummies 'Langdon' and Nicci asked which person Anne-Elisabeth wanted the center dummy to represent. “Lord Ogle. We all know him, but neither of you have met my mother-in-law.” And she hoped it stayed that way.

As for Danby, she knew even less than Caroline. “I don't even know who Danby is.” she confessed. “I usually do follow politics, but I haven't heard much about the subject in the few days I have been at court.”

OOC~  As we move to wind up the season, I am going to accelerate the activity so that there can be a bit of conversation and then wind up this thread.

All

The volley gun was loaded and test fired to the admiration of several gentlemen.  This was an invitation for others to try weapons they had brought along.  Some did.

There was the obligatory testing of Rupert's new cannon so that the court could view its augmentations.  It had been demonstrated in Brighton and now in London, in hopes that Parliament would open its purse strings.  The purpose of this event was to solicit donations from the wealthy gentry in hopes of demonstrating the commitment of lords to the defense of the kingdom.  The idea was, where lords placed their own money, Commons was sure to follow.

Some gifts were given to Prince Rupert in the form of financial support.  Others brought more tangible gifts, such as Kingston and his volley gun.  Though the weather was cold, the conversation was warm about the superiority of the royal navy and the foolishness of those in France and elsewhere to think to challenge it.

Chatham & Churchill

"Where have you been all season - not getting to know anyone you shouldn’t I hope?" Churchill greeted Charles with a wink, a laugh and a cheery slap on the back.     

He progressed on to muck about with Chatham during the event, seeing that York was more than sufficiently attended to. 

Course, his old friend had been up to mischief, and at least one instance that John knew of personally   "I heard from Cleveland the other day." he left it at that, seeing what Charles would go onto volunteer. 

Chatham & Churchill

Where have I been? Under skirts, mostly, or in the process of getting under skirts.

Charles might have said as much, in a more private setting, but this required slightly more decorum. Slightly.

"I am offended sir," he declared with mock affront. "Of course I have been getting to know people I shouldn't." He sobered slightly. "In truth, I have been busy finding my feet, and dealing with some outstanding issues with my father's dealings."

He laughed and gave a rueful smile as John mentioned Cleveland. The music always stopped sooner or later, and then you had to pay the piper. 

In fact, I got away with it for longer than I thought I would.

"I have never made any secret of my, ah, ambitions in that direction, shall we say? An opportunity arose, and I took it." He met John's gaze. "I hope I have not caused you any difficulty," he said sincerely. John was perhaps the only person alive he could say that to and mean it.

The Ladies

Nicci laughed as Caroline poked fun at her cousin. "But he's far more charitable than you'd realise, he just likes to pretend to be all..." halting herself, she was not going to openly lie!  With a shake of her head she admitted, "well he does think about himself most, but there is room for others." 

The dummies names were settled, but just who got shot most - who could say, for the ladies became distracted.   

"Oh but you really should pay attention to the politics." Nicci insisted upon her friends, "It's more scandalous than anything the gossips might get hold of, and with far worse ramifications."  That said, she knew better than to try convince Caroline anything other than what the lady wanted.  But luckily Lady Cambray was a follower of events, and admitted her interest in the topic. 

A boom. 

Nicci turned to give applause for whatever. 

"Well."  drawing a theatric breath she continued, "Danby embarrassed himself so severely that he went into hiding, somewhere in the city. Even his own children did not know where he was." She did not know that part for certain, but it was probably true. "And while in hiding from arrest, because they were probably going to put him in The Tower of London, he abducted two innocent boys, their father is an Irish MP and a terribly important one to boot.  It's all something to do with uproar in Ireland, and something to do with why the Northern Secretary was imprisoned, and something to do with why Monmouth was sent away. He's probably never to return, don’t you know, the Kings very own eldest son, exiled from England." 

Meanwhile there were more booms, and plumes of smoke, men making men noises at their feats, with responding cheers and claps from Nicci with the ladies – what was realy needed though was for hands to go over ears against the thunderousness.   

"Ooo I did not know it would be quite so noisy.” Nicci complained. "I hope they shall finish soon, I shant be able to keep smiling of it all much longer." 

Chatham & Churchill

"Finding your shoes more like it, lost under some ladies bed." Chruchill chuckled in return.  The company of his friend from youth awakened scallywag talk, though John was fairly much reformed and set upon a steady paced path of ambition now.   

"You suggest yourself newly diligent?" Churchill tipped his head and looked to see if Chatham was being serious or not.  His reply to the question on Barbara was more loaded than suggested. He was pleased that Chatham answered honestly, and with a sincere lilt of voice in the hope of not having inconvenianced. 

"Apparantly I wrote a letter." John allowed Charles to further explain.

Chatham & Churchill

"I was always diligent," Charles argued, "if my interest was roused. And I find myself... interested." He shrugged. "I cannot accept mediocrity. I am good at a thing, or I do not do it, as you know. And I cannot cease to be an earl, so I must excel."

He smiled, a thin, sharp expression, and lowered his voice.

"And all else aside, I delight in spiting my father, and how better to do it?"

But there was more than friendly chitchat afoot, John having caught Charles, if not quite in metaphorical flagrante, then certainly close to it.

"Oh, and such a letter!" Charles said. "I did not know you were quite so eloquent. How could the good duchess not be won over? But alas, cruel fortune intervened, and the much anticipated reunion had to be postponed. Yet the lady could not simply be stood up, and so as your friend I took it upon myself to serve as her escort, and protect her from falling prey to the wiles of court's many rakes."

Frankly, Charles thought he deserved a medal for getting through that with a straight face.

Chatham & Churchill

"I don’t know if I should take you seriously or not." It was highly unlikely that Charles Audley had decided to take up the full occupation of an Earl, even if he had motivation of proving his father wrong. "Next thing you will be telling me that you are thinking of marrying and producing the prerequisite heir and a spare." 

The Letter.  "Oh, well that sound just like me to be so charming..." he replied with the humility of scarcasim . 

"She was not born yesterday, I dare say any rakes she gathers about her are of her own conjuring. But I am pipped, old chap, that you stooped to forgery. Though you Father would not be surprised." it was putting the proverbial boot in. 

Chatham & Churchill

Charles grinned. "Now that you mention it, I have begun to consider my marital prospects, yes. I am practically middle-aged by Audley standards, and I needs must consider the future."

However stultifyingly boring it is like to prove.

John's rebuke stung, as it was doubtless meant to. Charles frowned thoughtfully, searching for the right words. (An experience even more unfamiliar and uncomfortable than genuinely desiring to apologise for his actions.)

"It has been too long since I was last among friends," he began at last, "and I have perhaps grown too fond of such games. I saw nothing but the opportunity to have a little fun and exhibit my own cleverness." He sighed. "You know there was no malice in it, I hope."

Chatham & Churchill

"There is a filthy rich lass, Ellen Doolittle girl up for grabs, her father might be financially demonstrative if you took her off his hands.  The Viscount who married her sister even got shares in the old mans company, and is now living in a Chelsea mansion." Churchill advised (partially in jest), for he did not believe Charles was at all serious.

It was fortunate then that he did know the recently made Earl well, very well, for few might recognise the difference between the mans hollow words and sincerity (which is perhaps the Achilles heel to courts renown actors).  Charles apology held an explanation that set his friend apart from all the rest, "Well then." John uttered in the tone of 'apology accepted' without so many words, "You seemed to have succeeded in impressing her if naught else, if her questions about you were anything to go by."

"It would not hurt mind, if you did turn a new page. Once you begin it, the reality of life is far more absorbing than witty fictions - the true games of court may elude you otherwise."  If Charles was able to sober his life up some he might go on to become a useful man, and worthy being recruited into York’s household.  Heaven knew the Duke needed supporters, but more than that he needed reliable ones, men of stout principle. 

Chatham & Churchill

"Filthy rich, and yet unattached... What's wrong with her?" Charles asked shrewdly, and laughed. Behind the amusement, though, he made a note. He did not know who the most promising potential brides of court were, and he needed to. For all that the thought discomforted him, Charles knew that he had to marry. (He might even have said that he had a responsibility to, had he not loathed the r-word like the Irish hated Cromwell.)

Charles would have vehemently denied that he had tensed when the conversation turned to his dalliance with Barbara, but there was no denying that he relaxed at John's unspoken acceptance of his own equally unspoken apology. He grinned ruefully as John told him that he had made an impression on the Duchess.

"Well, that is something at least. I should hate to have made a prick of myself and gained nothing for it," he said, voice full of wry self-mockery. "I assume that, as a gentleman, you took it upon yourself to remove any illusions the lady might have entertained as to my character."

He snorted as John spoke of turning a new page.

"I should rather need a whole new book, I think, but the challenge should prove interesting, if nothing else." He paused for a moment, contemplating. "I tried once before, you know, took ship to the colonies and resolved to reinvent myself as respectable. I lasted ten days before running screaming for the docks."

What he had done when he had reached the docks was perhaps the most recklessly stupid thing he had ever done, but Charles had no intention of discussing that, or even thinking about it.

Francis handed the strange pistol over to be shot with a smile and a nod, unsure how nobody seemed to realize that it was meant as a gift for Cumberland. He swallowed back an embarrassed burn in his chest, but he was quite sure that the flush he had worn when he had arrived with Camberwell had returned to his cheeks once more. Perhaps if he had the first clue that his real father also had the same affliction of dark blushing, he would not be quite so self-conscious of it. However, Francis just thought he blushed like a lady, with the soft, feminine features to go nauseatingly right along with it, and that was not precisely the way someone like Francis wished the present himself. 

Nor, clearly, was he very skilled at giving gifts. Considering how important that was, he felt quite failed for the last two days. 

And he had yet to give his gift to the King.

At this rate, he was not sure how he was going to go through with that. Even if it went well...it had been his uncle's idea and not Francis' own. When he had been at sea, he felt that he must miss something with being gone Christmastide and holidays, but now he was fairly certain he missed nothing but hob-nobbing, pressure, and expectation. 

Once the pistol was loaded, there was little time for defeatist thoughts to continue, and thankfully the thing fired, so there was that. Perhaps he would just tell one of Cumberland's servants to pack the pistol back to Whitehall with the Prince's belongings! The cannon was demonstrated, others started shooting, and Francis took some solace behind shooting out his misgivings with his grandfather's gun. His shoulder would probably feel it later. 

Nicci thought all this political manuvering was important...and mayhaps it was. But Caroline knew she would never have the sort of power to influence anything of the sort and being a hidden Catholic (though less than devout) and of decided French sympathies, her views would never be popular. So her goal was simpler then. Merely live her life as she wished and enjoy it while she could for nothing lasts. The memory of her mother in her prime and then toward the end. It was sobering.

But not that sobering. Caroline was already an alcoholic.

She listened to Nicci's breathless explanation of events, well that is when there weren't shots being fired and then some fool loosed off a cannon! The thunderclap accompanying the cannon shot ratttled Nicci who complained. Caroline could only laugh.

"This is not so bad, ladies. When I was but a child I was in a Danish town under siege. Not only were there many more and louder bangs of cannonfire but there were also flying iron balls and the scariest part......shells too. If you do not know of them, they are hollowed balls filled with gunpowder and combustibles that arc on over the walls and go thru roofs before exploding or starting things on fire. Try and be a child in that sort of chaos."

More for Anne-Elisabeth's sake, Caroline felt she needed to add as explanation, "You see my father was a mercenary soldier on the continent. He is French as is my mother."

Actually her mother was no such thing, it was a lie. Her mother was a Polish woman. But it did not change the point of her story.