JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Pretty But Perilous | Sunday, Late Afternoon, Open- Xmas 1677

“She could have refused,” Anne-Elisabeth said of Cordelia. “There are all kinds of excuses she could have used, such as feeling poorly or being too cold. By not backing out, she did choose to participate.” The Countess, too, was curious about why Lady Lucas would snub Nicci. She wasn't a libertine, not yet anyway, nor did she curse or do any of the other things matrons found abhorrent.

“Did her attitude change this season? Maybe she doesn't think a lady should have been chosen as Misrule. I will ask her about you if she is friendly toward me. When she sees me at the door, I hope she doesn't slam it in my face.” Lady Cambray didn't think she had given the older woman had any reason to despise her, so hopefully, she would at least be polite.

“My late husband's family is Cornish, not I,” she reminded Nicci. “I met quite a few others at the parties held at various estates. There really are many different types, just as there are in Barbados and here at court . I haven't heard of Lord Langdon, so he must be from another part of Cornwall."

Anne-Elisabeth giggled. She never giggled unless she was drunk, and she was becoming inebriated quickly. “Do the kind of people who shrink heads even wear socks?” she asked. “They probably don't even know what socks are. Ooooh … maybe it came from cannibals in the New World. What if they keep shrunken heads as souvenirs of a good meal?” Such thoughts were so wicked that she giggled again. “Next season, I'd like to go to that shop and see what it has to offer.”

The Countess had no idea how late it was. Nicolette seemed to sway a bit when she stood, as did Anne-Elisabeth when she got to her feet. “I have several more bottles. I'm going to bring three of them tomorrow in case some of the gentlemen would like to try it too.” She squeezed her friend's hands in return, and when they tried to exchange air kisses, she tumbled back onto the divan, her head spinning.

“Will you be okay by yourself, or would you like me to walk you to the door?” she asked. At the moment, she wasn't even certain if she could rise. The rum's potency had sneaked up on her slowly, but now she was feeling its full effects.

“Well yes!” Nicci’s lashes fluttered as she shifted her thoughts to match Alissa’s, “That is how I shall look at it too.”  Cordelia was not helpless after all, far from it, and could have got out of the sled ride if she’d wanted to.

“Yes that might be it.” Alissa was proving to be quite insightful, Nicci appreciated her thoughts a great deal. “But really it could have been anyone, did you hear how the choosing was done. A ring in a cake, and you know how many ladis attend balls, why odds were very high that it was going to be a woman. Really, that roll of the dice (or ring) was the first mischief of the season, who do you think planned do you think?”

Nicci wondered if it was the King who’d suggested it, though more likely it was his Master of Revels, Mr Killigrew.

“Perhaps Cornish Lord Langdon shall like you better than me.  He seemed quite lovely at first I must say, but then when it comes to making a prank, well he was not keen to play along.”  Nicci had Met Charles when she’d been trying to ‘borrow’ a charity candle.  My late husband's family is Cornish, not I,” she reminded Nicci. “Heavens, you will be starting to think I have made bad impressions on everyone! But I must assure you, I have not!” Nicci laughed!

Nicolette lapsed into full blown laughter then, “You are right again.” Socks and shrinking heads was an unlikely combination!  “A good meal?!” Nicci squealed with amused delight.  The girls were jokes were completely terrible, and their humour loved the alliance!

“Lets go together then.” She made her new friend promise, locking in a future outing shopping, idly adding, “There is a lot of normal stuff too.”

“Oh I shall be fine darling.” Not that Anne Elizabeth was in any state at all to help Nicci go anywhere, she nearly pulled Nicci on top of her as she fell back into the chaise!  Grinning, the French crooned, “A bientot mon amie.” Sliding her hand kindly over Anne Elizabeth’s brow, Nicolette then righted herself ready to head off. 

“You were lucky to get the piece of cake with the ring in it.” Rings had sometimes been hidden in cakes during weddings on Barbados, but the person who found it didn't get any special privileges. Supposedly, they were going to be the next to wed, which to Anne-Elisabeth seemed like a death sentence.

“If His Majesty wanted a gentleman in the role, than there would have been one cake for men and another for women. I imagine that there were a lot of people devouring piece after piece, hoping to be the one who found it. How many pieces did you consume before you discovered it?” If the same thing occurred next year, she wouldn't bother eating the cake. She would just tear through it and discard it if it didn't contain the ring. The Countess thought she would make a fine Lady of Misrule once she learned her way around court.

“Not everyone likes to participate in pranks. Maybe this Cornish gentleman is too proper for mischief. Everyone makes bad impressions on somebody. I've seen your charm in action, Nicci.. Most courtiers are powerless to resist you. Those who do are probably so dull they would bore you to tears anyway.

Anne-Elisabeth was becoming so intoxicated that she didn't even realize how preposterous she sounded. “If I'm right ...” She could hardly speak through the laughter that bubbled through her lips. “If I'm right, maybe your shrunken head was discarded because he gave the cannibal who ate him indigestion!”

She rubbed tears of mirth from her eyes with the back of her hand and tried her best to be serious again. “Yes, let's go together. Maybe they'll have some intriguing items next season. We can buy amusing gifts for gentlemen and send them anonymously, as well as things for ourselves and each other.”

Lady Cambray didn't know if she was even able to walk Nicci to the door, but she would try if her friend needed help. She said she would be fine, though. “Send me a note when you get home so I know you made it safely,” she said. “And I will see you tomorrow morning.”