JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Tea With A Baroness - Monday Late Morning, Spanish Embassy- Xmas 1677

Raconteur

"It is a common enough thing here at least in Noble Families to have ones son or daughter Fostered Out from age 6 or so. A son will be sent to another High Ranking Family there to be trained in the things he will need as a Man and for daughters tis much the same - except they are taught how to manage Estates and Properties and how to run the Household as well as the usual things we girls are taught."

"The Duchess my Mother had several that came to stay and she oversaw their educations. I was lucky in that I was not sent away and The Duke allowed for me to learn things reserved for my brother. So in a sense you too were sent away and made to Learn. We are not so different after all!"

"All the talk of babies and yet only one of us is Wed and I hope you can find yourself with child in the New Year Baroness. If you want a child would you go to a Shrine to Pray for one? I have heard that tis still done even tho to be Catholic is not Safe in these times. As for myself, well, I have no impediment that would allow for me to NOT have a child and I too shall wish for a child then ... Or rather for a Husband first!"

"I too saw him at the Ball and even had some conversation then he was gone. I did not have a chance to look later. He was to have come to The Duke but there must have been other things ...."

She stopped aware that too much was being said.

“No, we are not that different. My father also let me study subjects that are not usually a part of a lady's education. I thought it was normal until I went to Venice and realized that I was better-educated than the girls around my age. I guess if he wasn't always away on business, some boys might have been fostered with us. I would have liked that, for I was quite lonely being the only child in the castle.

“My lessons in Venice were quite different from those in Germany. They were focused on those things a noblewoman needs to know rather than the academic topics I was accustomed to. The family I stayed with had an extensive library and I expanded my knowledge on the subjects they didn't teach me through books. I didn't have a lot of time, though, because of my focus on singing.”

Sophia chuckled wryly. “Now I wish I had educated myself about politics, but I didn't think I would ever need to know such things. Back then, if someone had told me that I would be an Ambassador's wife at the age of sixteen, I would have proclaimed them utterly mad.”

As to children: “Thank you,” she said when Frances wished her luck. “I do not think there is any need to go to a shrine to pray for a child. Like you, I am young and healthy and there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to have one.” She no longer corrected people when they assumed she was Catholic because she had married a Spaniard, and let them believe what they would.

Lady Frances did seem quite interested in the whereabouts of Lord Chichester and when she mentioned that he had planned to speak to her father, everything fell into place. “Do the two of you wish to marry?” she asked in her normal blunt fashion. “Was he going to ask your lord father if he could court you?”

"Well it is not too late to 'educate yourself' now Baroness. Your circle has expanaded from What It Used To Be To What It Is. But then we have spoke of this afore and now tis up to You."

"Well I am young and healthy but the idea of NOT having a child scares me and I just might seek out such a place! I wish I had gone to those Gypsy's at Windsor last Season as so many did - perhaps I would have learned my Fate?" 

"Do not trouble yourself Baroness. I am sure if Lord Chichester is still here he will be detected and as for those lessons ..... well the New Year is not even begun so I doubt he has made a schedule ."

"How do you 'practice' this singing of yours?"

She wanted to deflect the conversation away from that Gentleman and asking about what Lady Toledo Prided herself on was sure to work.

“I've been trying to find someone to teach me,” she admitted, “but I think I scare them away, for they have all left court. I want to surprise my lord husband with my understanding of politics, but perhaps I should ask him to be my instructor. But what if he refuses and tells me that it is none of my business? Then what do I do? If I learn from someone else, he will have to accept it.”

Sophia wrinkled her nose when Lady Frances mentioned gypsies. “I have never been to one myself, but I think they just tell you what you want to hear. If they predict misfortune or sorrow, then you might refuse to pay them.  I know I would.”

Her new friend didn't answer her question about Lord Chichester's intentions, but changed the subject instead. I must have guessed correctly, she thought, or she would have denied it and said she wasn't interested in him. All kinds of delightful possibilities danced around in her head. If Frances and George married, then she and Esteban could invite them to dinner and the two couples could go places together. The Earl could teach them to paint together and Frances could be a part of the group she wanted to start for young married women.

“I sing for two hours every morning, practicing the arias I plan to sing at the next concert I give at court. I am hoping that His Majesty will ask me to sing for him again in the new season. Or perhaps somebody will want me to sing at a party. It's important to be prepared to perform on a moment's notice. When I practice, I sing a capella because I am not skilled enough on my harpsichord to accompany myself.

“Are you interested in learning how to sing? If so, I can teach you.”

"That is a wise thought. Yet even there you have to be careful for the one you select to play 'Teacher' might well have a plan of their own and will fill your head with thoughts and ideas counterproductive to what you wish."

"Allowing your Husband to instruct is by far the best course for you must be as He and work with the same Goals." 

"Two hours? Really? Impressive. Is there to be one? I have not heard. In the Spring then if so I should think it will be a welcom'd event after the cold of Winter!"

"Unfortunately I am not gifted that way. Oh I can carry a tune but beyond that .." She gave a small shrug. "The only ones that will ever hear me 'sing' will be my children of that I am certain!"

"The offer is kind but I would waste your efforts. But there must be others' that wish someone would. Do you think Lord Toledo would allow it? There would be payment of course and even tho harmelss it might well be said that Lord Toledo can not keep his wife in coin so she must employ herself. Tis a fact Baroness that those at Court will talk about nothing or invent it. Please be careful. I should not like you to be used in such a way. Tis not Fair."

"There might be a way .... There is nothing to be ill said about a small group of those of our sex coming together - The Garden Society as example and which I Hope is to be brought back - and there you may instruct to those that wish for it. Does that appeal? If so we should think carefully over Recess and then come Spring  find out any that feel the same."

“Oh! I had never thought of that. All I really need is to learn the basics. No matter what I am told, I will form my own opinions. We Germans are not easily swayed. Maybe I will bring the subject up while we travel to Madrid. If he agrees to teach me, it will occupy a lot of our time. Traveling long distances can be quite boring and tedious.” And if they went by sea, learning about politics might take Sophia's mind off the fact that she was surrounded by water.

“I practiced for much longer in Venice. Because I love singing, the hours pass quickly. I have not heard of any plans for the spring season yet, but I was thinking of putting on a small concert in the music room, similar to the one I performed in at Windsor. Nobody asked me to sing then. I wanted to introduce my voice to court and that was the best way to do it. More courtiers showed up than I expected.

“I don't think my lord husband would mind. I was going to teach a gentleman to sing this season because I thought it would help with his stuttering, but he appears to have left court. Only commoners and professional tutors charge for lessons. Mine would be free, of course, and I would only teach friends.”

Sophia liked Frances' idea. “I've already been contemplating starting a society for young married women, but there could be a music society as well, for both married and single ladies who have an interest in music. Others might be able to sing or play instruments and could give lessons to those who want them. And we could all give concerts together. You and I can run it.” With Sophia's talent and Frances' clout, they should be able to attract a lot of members.

"I do not think I would like to be on a ship for that long .... confined in such small spaces  ..... But are women not considred bad luck on Ships? I remember hearing that somewhere ... "

Frances wrinkled her nose as she said that trying to bring up how it was she might know of it but she could not recall. 

"And nothing but Water all round. Can you swim? I can not. Are you not afraid of the Creatures that lurk beneath the waters? You are Brave Lady Toledo!"

"Really? You just went there and began to sing? All alone as well? I wish I had known of it but I am not told of things very often which is why I have my own ways! The Duchess thinks of me at times as a child still and my Aunts are fixed on my Marriage so oft times there is disharmony amongst them."

"I think a gathering of Ladies for music would be well recieve'd. I am glad that you think it is a good idea. If we were to seek out a Lady of Higher Rank to act as Patroness that might make it even more valid and less likely for objections for Matrons. The Location is paramount and it should be at Whitehall - do you not agree? For then it will be easier for attendance and servants will be about if things are needed."

"I should be Happy to help you Baroness. Perhaps, we should each think over Recess and note down thoughts and ideas, and come Spring compare them?"

Frances was rather pleased with this idea for even tho she was a Duke's daughter not many made to include her in their Circles.

“I think women were considered bad luck in the past when we didn't travel so much. Maybe some sailors still believe it and don't work on ships that carry passengers.” What Frances said next brought back the panic Sophia felt at the very sight of water. She could hear her heart pounding in her ears and her cup of tea shook in her trembling hands. Quickly, she sat it down on the table, hoping that Frances wouldn't notice.

“No, I can't swim, In fact, I have been terrified of water since I saw my mother drown when I was  three. I don't handle sea journeys well and spend most of the time in my cabin shivering in fear. The more I travel by sea, the less afraid I am, but I don't think I will ever be comfortable close to water. I stayed away from the ocean when we went to Brighton. I actually dread the trip to Madrid and back. So as you see, I am not so brave after all.”

Sophia shook her head, both in answer to Frances' question and to banish the thought of water from her mind. “I didn't just show up and start to sing. I put up notes announcing the concert around the palace, and also advertised it by word of mouth. I will do the same if I decide to give one next season.” Unless she could find a patron, and she didn't think that was very likely as long as she was married to the Ambassador of Spain. She would have to take matters into her own hands.

“Do you know any high-ranking ladies who are musically talented?” she asked. She couldn't think of any at the moment, but she could always ask around. Lady Kendishall would probably be interested in participating as well. “The music room seems like a perfect place for our meetings. Our group will most likely be small at first, but if it becomes popular, we can move to one of the drawing rooms.”

The young blonde smiled warmly at her new friend. “That too, is a wonderful idea. Maybe we can get together on the first day of the spring season and plan everything out.”

Frances paled a little as she listen then was quick to offer solace.

"Oh Forgive me - I am truly sorry for having brought it up. I had no idea and no I have spoilt things." 

That this had upset Lady Toledo was evident and would have been blind not to see how she set her cup down.

"I think you are very Brave for even setting foot on a Ship and to travel on it for months   ... well I  know I could not."

Her brow furrowed a bit in thought. Ladies who had musical talents was not a thing she had thought about over much.

"Well honesty No but that does not mean that I can not make enquires! Why all of our sex have some education in this of course but those I know do not have a true 'gift' like yourself Lady Toledo."

"The Music Room would be a place to begin yes and if there is intretest that lies beyond the initial then I think another place could well be found. I shall seek out my friends and see if there is interest and shall compile a list. Then, come Spring, we could meet and discuss it or think of something else if none desire to participate."

"Does that sound agreeable?" 

“It is okay,” Sophia said in a reassuring tone of voice. “The thought of traveling on the water is still upsetting, but if I speak of it, my fear will eventually fade. I have come a long way since last year when I sailed to England on Lord Kingston's ship. And it is something that I must face now, being married to a Spaniard. He must report to his master when he can and it is my place go with him.” She left out how much she looked forward to going to Madrid and being reunited with her beloved Prince. Knowing that she would soon be back in his arms would make the harrowing journey a bit easier.

Frances' words made her wonder if Englishwomen didn't like to travel because they dreaded long trips. Staying at home was certainly much safer but not nearly as fun. If they knew the wonders that awaited them on the Continent, perhaps they would not be so hesitant. Or maybe they didn't long to experience new things. Maybe marrying, having children, and attending court a few times a year was all that they desired.

“I will make inquiries as well.” She blushed at her friend's compliment. “Thank you. I devoted most of my life to training my voice. Not everyone wants to make that commitment, but I'm sure there are many ladies who are musically inclined. They may not like to perform as much as I do, but might be willing to share their love of music with others of their own sex.”

Sophia nodded. “Once again, you have an excellent idea. I look forward to comparing notes in the spring."

"Yet despite your concerns you are still fortunate Lady Toledo to be able to travel. I must obtain the Duke's permission as I belong to him and tis unthinkable to go anywhere without it. Perhaps, when I too am married, my Husband shall allow it. I would like that."

She would not speak anymore on a 'marriage' for it was a hurtful topic. She knew that Lord Chichester must be abandoned with her logical mind and that soon the man being choosen would be voiced but her young heart yearned and it would perhaps never quite heal.

"Well we have time enough Lady Toledo to think and to plan and really Spring tis not that faw away despite the coldness yet to come."

She looked to the windows and what lay beyond. A small sigh escaped.

Sophia's thoughts on Englishwomen and traveling were proved wrong by Frances' words. She did wish to visit other countries and kingdoms but her father would not allow it. “I hope that your husband likes to travel as much as mine, then. We made a detour last recess so that I could show him my home in Germany. I have always wondered why Lord Kingston chose him for me. Perhaps it was because he knew that I wouldn't be happy staying in one place for the rest of my life.  Neither of us knew then that my lord husband would be made an Ambassador, which means he may eventually be sent to other countries. Maybe he wished to marry me because I speak so many languages and adapt to new cultures easily. I do hope we stay in England, though. I will miss it if he is assigned somewhere else.”

Spring seemed like a lifetime away to Sophia. Sometimes she felt that it would be cold forever. She had felt the same way last year, but the dreary weather  had echoed her sorrowful mood, for she had still been mourning her father. At least she had been able to stay with Lord Kingston's mother and had not been forced to go to the Doolittle estate. She had never felt as if she belonged there. Until Juan had confessed his love for her, she had not believed that she belonged anywhere. Now, though, she knew that she was meant to be with him, even if they did have to keep their love secret.

Lady Frances was the one who looked sorrowful now. Was it the weather that depressed her, or was it something else? Sophia wanted to ask, but didn't know if her inquiry would be considered rude. She did not want to ruin the promising friendship between them.

“I hope spring brings exciting opportunities for both of us,” she said, hoping that her good wishes would cheer the other girl up. “Spring is my favorite season because it is a time for new beginnings.”

Frances is a bit taken back by all the self praise from Lady Toledo. She finds it odd to be so forthcoming to someone she does not know on a more Private level. But then Lady Toledo is not one that is shy or retiring either.

"As to that, well, I suppose only time will tell. I should like to make a journey. I do not think 'Travel' is amongst the qualities the Duke looks for Lady Toledo! Marriages are after all about the joining of Power and Land between two famailies of equal or better standing. My older sister Elizabeth was married thusly and now is the Duchess of Albemarle. I am the second daughter and so my aim is not so high and there is a shortage of available Dukes. A Duke's second son is acceptable as is an Earl. I have asked only that I not be married off to someone double my age or a widower who is in need of a 'new mother' for his children."

"I shall be glad for Spring as well! New Beginnings? Yes. That is what many say and so I must then look forward. What are you looking forward to then?"

Like most Germans, Sophia was blunt and spoke candidly, even about herself. She did adapt well to new places and she spoke several languages. The way she saw it, she was telling the truth, not bragging. Usually when complimented upon her beauty or her exquisite voice, she simply said 'thank you,' not agreeing or disagreeing with the other person's opinion. However, in Venice, she had sometimes replied 'I know,' especially when somebody flattered her appearance. That, too, was the truth, for she knew that she was gorgeous.

She thought about suggesting that Frances marry a foreigner, like she had. Then she would certainly be able to travel. But English women preferred to marry English men and vice versa, which was probably why no Englishmen had been beating down Lord Kingston's door begging to wed her. Her father had hoped that it would be easy for German girls to find husbands because of the new Queen's nationality, but he had been wrong.

“I guess I am lucky that my own husband is only ten years older than me and has no children. There are some young handsome Earls at court. Maybe your lord father will choose one of them.”

What was Sophia looking forward to? “Better relations between Spain and England, of course, but personally, I am hoping for more opportunities to sing, to find a good painting tutor, and to become pregnant. What about you?”

"Indeed you are Lady Toledo! Why I know several that were contracted in cradle to someone already ten years older and one even more but thankfully he died so she was spared that. I shall not be like that - my daughters will be contracted with thought given to Age."

"Well I am already told that there is someone being held in regard and I will not be forced yet tis expected that I not refuse either. If the contract is made and both of us have no impediment that would not allow for the marriage then so it must be."

She shrugged and her words were quietly said but clearly true. She would not be forced by her Father to marry but many persuasions could be implemented all designed to have her agreement if she were indeed foolish enough to think she had an actual say.

"Well that is Politics and it would be a good thing yet I know so little in that regards except not ALL Countries will ever see the same ways."

"I can not think that NO opportunities will not come Lady Toledo and once Spring arrives and the dullness of Winter has gone everyone will be in high spiritts so let us Hope that that will provide. Ah. Painting. Well Lord Chichester has not said further, at least to me, but I would  like it as well."

despite the hurt it will bring to my heart yet I can hide that away for the sake of His Company 

"For myself? I must say a marriage then and I should like a child quickly as well. And perhaps to have a place amongst the Queen's Ladies. Or a chance to go beyond these Borders."

"But do you really think it can all happen?"  

Sophia would have liked to tell Frances that older men had their own unique charms. Juan was three times her age, and she found him to be positively dashing. She even thought the gray in his dark hair attractive. He was an expert in the art of pleasure and he had the patience and wisdom that younger men lacked. Her beloved Prince was perfect in every way.

A golden eyebrow quirked upwards when Lady Frances mentioned that she might be married soon. Was that why she seemed so pensive at times? She hoped that her friend's suitor was Lord Chichester. Any lady would be happy to be married to an Earl who was both handsome and pleasant.

“Do you know who the gentleman is?” she couldn't stop herself from asking. If Frances' father was keeping his name from her, then he was being cruel. Any lady would be worried about a betrothal to a man whose identity she did not know.

Sophia sighed. “It would be much better for everyone if all countries did see eye to eye. There would be no more wars or needless loss of life. But wishing for that is like wishing for a pet unicorn. It is an impossible dream.”

She hoped that Frances was right about singing opportunities. Though the opera had been a triumph for all parties involved, she had not sung since then. “If Lord Chichester doesn't want to give us lessons, we shall find somebody else. He is not the only courtier who paints well. It would probably be best to find a lady to teach us anyway.”

Frances' hopes for spring were as ambitious as her own. “Yes, I think all of that is possible. You could marry a gentleman who likes to travel and the Queen could appoint you as one of her ladies-in-waiting, though then you would not be able to travel much.” Sophia leaned forward, her blue eyes sparkling. “Won't it be wonderful if we fall pregnant at the same time? We can experience all of the changes it brings to our lives together.”

"I was presented with a 'list' of those found suitable and am expected to select one. All are known to me and each offers something another does not have."

"Marriage is an arrangement between two families as I have already said. I am lucky in that I was not contracted when still a child and now must wed someone I do not know."

"if I do not chose myself then The Duke my Father will. I had thought another way ... but that is an impossibility."

"I expect I shall be wed sometime in the New Year." She smiled then adding "And no doubt will have a Grand Wedding as befits my Station. I shall invite you."

As for the other things

"Well I shall Hope for the Position then as for the other I shall add that as well! Is it too greedy of me to want both?"

The process that Frances explained sounded too impersonal to Sophia. If her father had lived and she had not disgraced herself in Venice, perhaps he would have done the same thing and presented a list of gentlemen whom he found suitable for her. They had never even talked of marriage, so she had not known his thoughts on the matter. However, she did know that he had loved her dearly and doubted that he would have forced her to wed a man to whom she strongly objected.

“At least you have a choice and we are both lucky that were not betrothed as children.” She would have rebelled against marrying a total stranger, and might have run away if she had found him detestable. Frances seemed much less rebellious than she. Perhaps she had been raised knowing how her future husband would be selected. She had a mother who would have taught her such things.

“I would be honored to attend.” As a young girl, Sophia had dreamed of a large and elaborate wedding, but instead she had been married in a lovely church in Amsterdam with only Don Juan as a witness. She didn't regret it, for marrying Esteban had given her more opportunities to spend time with her royal lover. A grand wedding paled next to her love for her Prince.

“No,” Sophia reassured her friend. “It is not greedy at all.” Grinning, she added: I want my voice to become renowned all over the world, I wish for my lord husband to rise in status and importance, and I want to give him many children. That is greedy. But I see no reason not to aim high.”

"A choice? Hardly. You will note that there was the absence of me saying that I had added a name or names to 'that List' Lady Toledo. Yet I can not caim to be unaware of how things are done for I have been well schooled in it. My elder sister married a Duke and thus our Families influence increases and I, while not expected to aim as high, must also deliver."

Frances rose from her chair and out of perhaps some well concealed frustrations that now became clear from the topics discussed began to pace in that small space where they sat - back and forth round and round.

"All are worthy to marry the daughter of Cavendish naturally and yet I wanted .... no Hoped that I was Brave and could insist upon another name to be added and that it would be met without objections. My sister might be of some help yet not even she would think to speak up for me out of displeasing her own husband. The Duchess while free to say and speak her thoughts will not go aganist the Duke and as for The Aunts they depend upon the Dukes Grace so they are without influence."

"I do not know why I am saying this to You! I think it must be Envy surely and the fact that you are so FREE. Perhaps I am being to wild in my imaginings of just how my own wedded state will be - naturally it could not be a bleak as the pictue I paint!"

"Well then perhaps I should wish for the Moon as well!" Her little laugh was brittle in its tone. 

She became aware then of how she was behaving and went to where the other sat and knelt down beside her chair her skirts billowing.

"Forgive me Baroness. I have behaved indiscreetly and you are well within rights to say so. I do not wish to lose this beginnings of Friendship but will accept if you now decline it."

Frances did not have many that she wanted to be close to of her own sex. Married older sister and younger ones beneath her did not work. She had many acquaintances naturally but perhaps her own manner was the issue? When she and Lord Chichester were together she forgot anyone else and had no intrest to join in with others' but now that that relationship was dead in the water and the Man himself made nothing more she understood. 

Seeking out the company of other women would be the diversion she needed. But was Lady Toledo the best choice in which to start? Only Time would tell.

Lady Frances seemed more frustrated than pleased about her marriage prospects. Sophia's heart went out to her when she stood up and began to pace. She remembered that she had felt like an animal being sold at an auction during that ball last spring when she had been forced to dance with gentlemen she had absolutely no interest in. Lord Kingston could have chosen one of them for her and then she would be miserable indeed. Though sometimes she believed she had been married too young, she was glad that she was no longer on the marriage market. The unknown was always frightening.

Envy? Frances envied her because she was free? In truth, Sophia wasn't free at all with Karl watching her every move and reporting  back to Esteban. Yet she wasn't confined to the house like many wives were in Spain, so she couldn't really complain. She wanted to tell Frances how she was being observed, but she knew it wasn't wise. If her friend inadvertently said something about it, rumors might be circulated that Esteban didn't trust his wife or that she had done something to necessitate constant supervision.

Sophia's eyebrows rose when the other girl knelt by her chair and apologized. As she appreciated candor, she had not been offended by Frances' rant at all. “I do not need to forgive you for you have done nothing wrong,” she said. “In fact, because you have poured out your heart to me, it means that our friendship is already growing. Friends should be able to say anything to each other.

“I also understand what you are going through. I was there not too long ago, and I  know what it is like to be married to a stranger. After several months of marriage, I still don't know my husband very well. If it is the same with you, I can help you through it. I'm also thinking of starting a club for young married ladies. You can run that one with me too if you'd like.”

(OOC: Shall we wrap this up as the end of the season draws near?)

Frances cheeks flushed a pale pink as the reaction to her actions set in. She was unaccustomed to behaving thusly and it did not speak well of her Station. Yet the Baroness was accepting and even offered advice!

She rose and returned to her seat smoothing her skirts as she did bring back the Duke's Daughter.

"You are kindness itself and I know you will not speak of it to others'."

Frances doubted that she'd ever have another personal converation at least on this level but she would not alude to that either.

"You are filled with so many ideas! Recess shall indeed be taken up with all kinds of thoughts!"

She smiled across to the Baroness and then directed their talk to other less cumbersom topics until it was time for her to take her leave.

(occ: thank you!)