JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Clerical Cleansing to Start 1678 | Chapel 2/1 10am- Xmas 1677

Defiance

Charles and Catherine

"Hardly," Charles countered, seeing that she was still playful.  "I came over because I pitied the prospect of you crawling over towards me in a desire-driven frenzy, embarrassing you in front of the congregation," he replied, thinking he had done pretty well for a quick rejoinder.

"How did things fare with York at the ball?  I left you alone so that you would not be distracted by your infatuation with me?"  He was of two minds with Catherine.  On the one hand, he wanted her to succeed with reconciliation with York, but that would mean losing her as a lover for the forseeable future.  She was not in the company of York at the moment, which could be taken as a bad sign; but then, the Duke needed to be seen with his family on such occasions.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and Catherine

“And how could I do that when I haven't seen you all morning? I knew, however, that you would be drawn to me like a bee to a flower, and that you would seek me out if you attended the service.” Catherine grinned impishly. “Which you just did.”

Her smile faded when Charles mentioned York and her voice, when she spoke, was bitter. “He certainly wasn't distracted by mine,” she sighed, dropping their little game temporarily. “I did everything you advised me to.  I joined the group gathered around him and impressed them with my charm and wit, but he didn't even give me the time of day.”

A single tear slid down her cheek, leaving a thin trail of wetness behind it, which also caught the light from the stained glass window and took on a rainbow hue. “He did what he has done all year.  He ignored me as if I didn't exist. And eventually, his toadies did the same, fearing that if they kept giving me attention that they would displease him.”

Another tear followed the first. “I thought that the beginning of the new year would be the beginning of a closer relationship with him, but I couldn't have been more wrong  That redheaded bitch had turned him completely against me. I have no idea what kind of lies she's been whispering in his ear. However am I to break the spell that she has cast over him?"  She looked up at him imploringly.  "Should I keep trying or should I give up on him and admit defeat?

Davina and Anne-Elizabeth

"Oh rest assured that we have been noted.  You must remember Countess that Weekly Service is just not about the Saving of Souls! For us women it gives the advantage to take note of clothing and to further our own Social Contacts. And I will wager that even now tongues are wagging at the sight of one of the Kings Mistresses and the wife of the Spanish Ambassador having a chat. What could it mean? Has Lady Toledo sought the Countess out for some Political move? She does after all 'spy for Spain' as many believe. And what possible thing could the Countess have a need for? Perhaps the King has whispered some instructions amongst the pillows of the Royal Bed? That is how Court is Madam. Every move is a calculation of some kind. But come let us save Politics for another day."

"We shall move thru the Chapel and make out way out the other side and from there I shall take you thru the backstairs - tis quicker but I will not if you have a desire to 'see' everything the normal way?"

"I shall speak soft and tell you who we might encounter inside."

She smiled then at her companion sure that the Countess would ask for the backstairs but either was would be no different to Davina.

“That's precisely why I'm here … to be seen and to meet more people. I must confess that I don't care to copy the style of other ladies, so I don't pay much attention to their clothes. Maybe that will change when I have been here long enough for them to imitate me. There's nothing much to see out here but cloaks and hats anyway.”

When she had first arrived in England, her clothing had been woefully out of date. By the time the latest fashion plates reached the Caribbean, they were already old news on the mainland. She had remedied the problem quickly and had spent a small fortune on a new wardrobe, angering her mother-in-law who didn't believe she needed so many gowns. The Countess had an even more luxurious wardrobe made when she had decided to attend court.

Her eyes drifted toward the Countess and the Baroness again. “Perhaps they're only discussing the weather,” she said, giving voice to her earlier thoughts, “or talking about their plans for recess. Some conversations are devoid of ulterior motives.” A casual shrug. “But they could just as easily be plotting together on behalf of the King and the Ambassador.”

Anne-Elisabeth didn't care to venture back into the cold. “The backstairs leads through the palace and we don't have to go outside again? If so, I would much rather go that way. I hope it's still warm in the chapel. And yes, I'd like to know about the people who are still there, even if I am not immediately introduced to them. At least I will know who they are when I do encounter them.  You don't think your reputation will suffer by being seen with me, considering those limericks I composed at the ball?”

Charles and Catherine

If he were not friends with Heather, Charles might have nasty things to say or suggest in favor of Catherine.  As a result of that friendship he adopted, instead, a more measured approach.  "Let's go for a walk away from this chapel," he suggested.  They need not be subject to so much scrutiny then.

"I'm sorry Catherine," he whispered seriously.  "I hope it is not because our relationship became known in the midst of this."  he was shaking his head as he contemplated that thought.  "Heather has some sort of inexplicable allure to her.  She's been with the King, York, Buckingham, married a wealthy fellow," he recounted as they walked together outside.  It must be her red hair," he mused aloud.  "Just like my scarlet uniform," he added for a bit of humor.

"Seems to me that you have three choices," he offered as they continued.  "Make a move for another powerful lord, find a way to use your wit to greater advantage.  You might create an alliance with other libertine ladies like Nell, Catriona, and others that have been mistresses to powerful royals or lords.  You might create a society among you that makes the group stronger than each of you individually.  If the King and York see you having too much fun with other ladies that they have loved, might it cause some wistful regret and make your society all the more appealing to gentlemen and ladies at large.  I do not know for sure but you could sponsor parties, charitable events or other things that would attract the best gentlemen and ladies.  It might be exclusive with its own secret rituals and such.  Something that sounds fun."  He was not particularly sure what sorts of rituals to suggest yet. "No married ladies would be allowed," he added.

"The third alternative is that you content yourself with your infatuation with me," he smiled as he reintroduced their game.  "I sm more than you can handle anyway."

Davina left the subject of the other two Ladies trail off. If The Countess wanted to speak more than best done in private on that or any topic!

"Whitehall is vast some one thousand five hundred rooms but of an irregular design so oft times corridors lead to nothing or open to old parts before King James made changes. Ah. 'backstairs' is one of the most open well-kept secrets and made use of by most Courtiers at one time or another. We shall walk a bit thru some outer rooms and then I shall find the tapestry that conceals the door for the direction we need. Most are torch lit and servants of all kinds run up and down at all hours. Along with many assorted types. Baptist May rules the ones for His Majesty." 

"Countess tis Winter right now and so it is usual to have a thousand and more populate the Palace and with Christams Court it has sweeled to even greater numbers. I can assure you that only those within that space will have taken note and come morning I doubt any will remember with clarity. Except for Dorset naturally. I have nothing to fear nor do you. By that time almost everyone was too full of wine and other things! So take your ease on that matter. Ah. Here we are. Now let me see who lingers."

She did a quick scan and soon found her lover with that awful Sedley chit trying to look all Madonna-Like thinking that the stained glass helped.

"That Gentleman there is Lord Chatham. He is new to Court.  An Earl. What I know of him has me sending him to the Libertine camp. He has an impediment having lost an eye so wears a patch. The Gentleman is Lord Langdon who you saw outside and the creature he is with is Sedleys daughter Catherine. You might recall him from those camped out where you introduced.  He is actually Sir Charles Sedly but a mere Baronet. A well-known Playwright and Poet. Mistress Catherine if rumour is to be believed wants the Duke of York to take her back but ahe will sniff at any man. I would avoid her and treat her accordingly."

Perhaps an unfair description but to Davina she was indeed a threat and so worthy of such a poor thought.

"I shall offer introductions if you wish or we can simply continue ...."

(ooc: side thread if you wish)

Charles and Catherine

Catherine nodded and allowed him to lead her outside. A cold breeze hit her as soon as they stepped out the door, and she moved a bit closer to Charles for both warmth and comfort. “York was ignoring me long before anyone knew that I was your mistress and to his knowledge, our affair didn't begin until after he rejected me.”

An unladylike snort greeted his assessment of Lady O'Roarke. Why does he call her by her first name? she wondered jealously. Has she sunk her teeth into Charles as well?

“She has no mystical allure,” Catherine scoffed. “She's nothing but a whore who wants to screw every powerful man in England. I'm surprised that York can't see that. One day she'll move on and if he comes crawling back to me then, I'll laugh in his face. I'll never accept that harlot's sloppy seconds. Who knows what diseases I might catch?” She was lashing out and she knew it, but she didn't care because it made her feel  better.

Charles offered her a few suggestions, and she noted that he used Mistress Gwynn's and Lady Alyth's first names as well. The tendrils of jealousy that had woven themselves around her heart let go and disappeared. Surely he had not shagged the King's mistresses. Maybe he simply thought of ladies by their given names. “I'm not going to throw myself at anyone else, but I suppose that a powerful lord might show interest in me, maybe one of York's enemies. I wouldn't mind a bit of poetic justice.” Catherine knew that she was plain in appearance, but she was witty and charming. Not all gentlemen preferred brainless beauties.

“I do like the idea of forming a Merry Girl Gang and it is fitting that I would start it, as I am the daughter of one of the members of the Merry Gang. I get along well with Nell. She may be willing to help me with it if she can exclude Portsmouth. O'Roarke would be banned as well. We could do daring things to get ourselves noticed and come up with adventurous games to play at balls. As we become more well-known, we can throw amazing themed parties and charge admission that would go to various charities. It's definitely something to think about.”

She grinned at the third alternative he gave her. “Of course you would say that, Charles. You can't bear the thought of me with anyone else. If I didn't know better, I might believe that you turned York against me so you could have me all to yourself forever.” Their completion never failed to cheer her up.

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth

“Backstairs is another word for servants' passageways? Our plantation in Barbados had them, and so does my estate in England.” Anne-Elisabeth had used the latter many times for clandestine meetings with gentlemen. As soon as the servants had found out that she held the purse strings, they had switched their loyalty to her and kept her indiscretions from her mother-in-law. Perhaps she could discover all of the hidden doorways in the palace eventually and use the service corridors for the same purpose here.

Assuming there was a good reason to hide her affairs.

Lady Cambray hoped that Davina wasn't right about everybody forgetting about the limerick contest. She wanted them to remember her cleverness and wit, as well as the fact that she had bested the former formidable champion. Whether Dorset had let her win or not, he had declared her the victor. His motives eluded her, for he was so arrogant it was hard to believe that he would willingly admit defeat. He probably hoped that memories of their competition had been lost to the oblivion of inebriation.

She was glad that Davina didn't think that being seen with her would harm her reputation. Anne-Elisabeth was a selfish creature and generally didn't care about anybody but herself, but for some reason, she felt a bit protective of the other woman, even though she was older and more experienced in the ways of court life. “I guess that's both good and bad,” she remarked. “I don't want my victory over Dorset to be forgotten, but I don't wish to cause you any harm either.”

The chapel was indeed warmer than the grounds, and the air wasn't as rancid as it had been when it was packed with people. She pulled out her pomander and sniffed it anyway as the Queen's lady told her about the courtiers who still lingered. Mistress Wellsley was obviously not fond of Mistress Sedley, though Anne-Elisabeth thought she sounded quite intriguing. A daughter of a Merry Gang member, no less, and apparently as libertine as her father. Maybe she had stolen one of Davina's beaus? Or perhaps her companion was interested in Lord Langdon and had hoped to find him alone.

“I met Lord Chatham at the sleigh race yesterday. I wouldn't mind speaking with him again, but I don't want to interrupt his prayers.” Lord Langdon and Mistress Sedley left their place by the stained glass window and left the chapel. It was almost as if the Earl was intentionally avoiding them.

“I could use some hot tea so perhaps it's best that we continue to your chambers. I shall follow where you lead.”

"There are many at Court that make use of these passage ways not just servants. There provide shortcuts in ones journey for the Palace is so vast. I know many as I have been some four years almost five at Court even tho I am not that much older than you. They have been and continue to be used for many things and if you come into this place you will learn them as well."

She gave a little laugh at the thought of her reputation being in any danger.

"My face is well enough know and if someone did not know my name they will at least be able to tell that I am employed by The Queen - for this badge pinned onto my sleeve bears her initials in a cypher. Those here at the Palace all wear some badge or livery which proclaims their Service and Loyalty weather it be to King Queen or Noble. You are the observant type so now you will begin to look at those you meet more closely. Of course the Peers do not but those in their emply do. For example my brother Baintree has his men wear a small badge of gold that proclaims they are in his employ. Others will dress their servants in differnt colors for livery. You must adapt your own Countess if it suits. You may design anything and if your late Lord has a motto then you may draw from that. Any that you employ will wear it or a color if you chose to put them in that and thus shall be under your protection. Tis hardly 'Proper' that you go about unattended without maid or man to protect your person. Nor is it safe. You needs must be realistic on that score."

"Dorset will not like to forget it Madam. And what he makes of it I can not say. That will be for you to seek out. As for the others' present .." She gave a small shrug. "They matter not. Just Rochester and Sedly I suppose."

"Ah yes that 'race' of which I was forced to participate. Well then I need not offer any information of Lord Chatham. Then we shall not. Nor so it appears shall we distrub the other two. I am in agreement and I can offer more than just 'tea'. So let me take you thru this doorway and then once more out into the open tis but a short walk until we connect with other rooms. I shall look for a palace runner - they are the young boys all in blue that will run errands and deliver messages for pennies - and have them light the way once we get to where we need. I have three that I employ so I shall look for one of them ...."

It had been a long time since she had been so willing to converse. What was about this younger woman that drew her she could not say yet the idea of finding out more was an intriguing thought. 

(Ooc - please do realize these passages are supposed to be somewhat secret and are guarded. One cannot just use any of the "backstairs" to enter a royal household unless one is a household member and one is also responsible for anybody one shows them to. Nor can one just enter the servants corridors either wo potential repercussions. The backstairs and servants corridors are not the same thing. Not even household members know all the servant corridors or secret passages, esp the women, and unless a man has showed you peepholes IC, you cannot RP knowing about them or finding any wo a mod! Please keep this in mind as you play foforward PC to PC.)

(ooc - Perhaps using Backstairs was no the best word choice. That is a word associated with the hidden way up to the Royal Apartments. Instead I should have used passageways which Whitehall being so vast had miles of. I think its fair to say that Davina, as well as the other Ladies, would have knowledge of such 'passageways' on the Queens side of Whitehall. That was all I was implying.  Beyond that she would know nothing about those used by other Household Departments. Yet your point is taken for future references).

Anne-Elisabeth had been worried that the Queen might take Mistress Wellsley to task for being seen with a lady who had been accepted into the Merry Gang's circle on her first night at court, but her new friend just laughed it off. Maybe the Queen was more libertine than she let on or she encouraged her ladies to befriend libertines in order to convert them into pious and proper subjects. Fat chance of that, she thought.

“My servants already wear Cambray's livery. The colors and crest have represented my late lord husband's family for many generations. I see no reason to change them, although once I have my own residence, I might have new uniforms made. Something a bit less dowdy than what they wear now.”  Her mother-in-law had deplorable taste.

She knew that Dorset wouldn't forget their competition and would eventually demand a rematch. The Merry Gang would remember too, as she was now part of their circle and would (hopefully) be invited to take part in their mischief and attend their parties. Her association with them would insure that her controversial contribution to the ball was never forgotten.

The Countess had thought that Davina had been lucky to have two gentlemen in her sleigh, even if they had overturned and tumbled into the snow. “I should be angry at Lord Chatham for he beat my sleigh by mere seconds, but it was all just for fun.”

She walked beside Davina as she led the way out of the chapel, pulling her cloak close against the cold. “I confess I could do with some lunch. Are meals served in the chambers of the Queen's ladies?”

"Well then you are quite estabished in that area. Well I am glad that YOU found it such fun Madam. I had the mispleasure of being an unwilling participant and the two 'Gentlemen' filled with mischief and then overturned the sleigh. I was not amused and they both shall have to work hard to be welcome'd back into my Graces."

She walked beside the other woman glad to leave the Chapel for seeing her lover with Sedley was not a plesant thing to witness.

"Shall I tell you more about Court as we walk? If you are employed and for referance sake at least I am most willing. Any that lodge at Court are entitled to three cooked meals each day plus the alloted amount of ale or beer. The Great Hall here at Whitehall can see some six hundred members of Households to eat. The Nobility, Senior officers of the Household and Gentleman of the Privy Chamber eat in the Great Watching Chamber. Those of High Rank prefer to dine in private and with comforts. The Queen as does the King dine in their Privy Chambers or if entertaining guests then in the Presence Chamber."

"Breakfast in the Hall or in private is taken around seven of the clock and consistes of bread, meat, and ale. Dinner, the main meal, between ten and one of the clock. Dinner between four and seven. An 'allnight' or evening snack between eight and nine. Dinner and supper consist of two courses with prescribed number of dishes for each. The number of dishes and types of food served to each person differes according to their Rank."

"The Queen's Ladies have the option of eating with the masses or in private - which I nearly always do. Because I am a daughter of a Viscount and a Maid of Honor I enjoy many things. We have many choices - beef, mutton, veal, capon, conies, pheasants, and either lamb or pigeon, or chicken. Depending on the Season of course. This followed by tarts, jellies, butter, and fruits. Plus wine , beer, or ale. Think you that I can tempt you Countess?"

Charles and Catherine

"Not going to throw yourself at anyone else," Charles noted quickly "like you threw yourself at me?"  It was lovely how she walked into that one.  He was sure he had scored a full point on that one.

"A Merry Girl Gang.  I like it."  Charles Whitehurst would like most any girl gang anyway.  "No Frenchies," he uttered, thinking of Caroline.  "No Catholics either I suppose?"  He did not mean to set rules for Catherine and he felt guilty about bashing Catholics after he had married one and his sweetheart was one.  If Catherine wanted o include Catholics, it would be fine with him, he supposed, but he needed to not be seen as a Catholic lover.  "Who else were you thinking of being a member of this gang?"

Charles and Catherine

Catherine silently berated herself for choosing her words so carelessly. She had unwittingly given him an opening to win a point in their ongoing game. How was she going to get out of the trap she had set for herself, especially when her mind was occupied with the idea he had given her? “How could I throw myself at you when you were obviously begging for my affection?” It was not the best retort she had ever come up with, but it would suffice. “I was talking about York.”

She grinned when he said he liked the way she had expanded upon his recommendation. “I don't think I would exclude all Franchies. Mademoiselle Vauqelin would fit in quite well. She seems adventurous enough. Devout Catholic ladies won't approve of us so we're safe from them.  They might oppose us, but infamy will make us more popular, just like our male counterparts."

As for who to include: “I'm not sure. Who would you suggest besides Lady Alyth and Nell?”

Anne-Elisabeth would have been thrilled to be abducted by two handsome gentlemen, but Davina seemed annoyed by the attention. To each her own. Maybe they aren't good enough for her or she doesn't think they are. Perhaps she fancies a gentleman who wasn't there.

“Yes, please,” she replied when her companion asked her to tell her more about court. So much talk of food made the Countess realize how hungry she was. She had eaten a hearty breakfast, but perhaps trying to stay awake during a boring sermon took more energy than she had thought. Though Davina preferred to eat in the privacy of her rooms, Anne-Elisabeth, if she achieved a position with the Queen, would like to dine with other courtiers. She would meet a lot of people, including handsome gentlemen who were interested in a special kind of 'dessert.'

“You are making my mouth water. All of it sounds delicious. What is usually served to the Queen's ladies after church? And will the cooks mind preparing an extra plate for your guest?”

Davina had to smile at that question. She had forgot that the other was new come to Court and was unaware of the runnings of Whitehall.

"Well now is the set time for the main meal of our day in the Great Hall - be it Sunday or any other day until one of the clock - and all who reside here use it thusly. Those that dine in privy do so for many reason but most of all for comfort." 

"If you wish we can certanily go in that direction instead. Perhaps it might be more interesting for you Countess to see first hand?"

She continued on saying as they strolled

"All the various hosehold department servants eat within those departments so all we shall see are Courtiers with servants to fetch and carry naturally. There are many that eat in 'corners and secret places' and that is hard to control. Another thing you needs must remember if you dine there is that where you sit is determined by rank and precedence - the tables being laid out with the more important ones closer to the raised dais and where one sits in chairs and not benches. Those at the lower tables are seated according to their degree with the lowliest at the far end."

"The tables will be cloth covered. With herbs and flowers to purify the air. All place setting are wood at the lower tables, the bread will be cheat and ale not wine is served. The upper tables will have pewter plate spoon and goblet as each Noble brings their own eating knife - have you one? If not I shall be happy to supply one of my own."

She would stop here in her litany and let the Countess decide which direction they would go in.

Charles and Catherine

"Hah," Charles scoffed at what he considered to be Catherine's weak reply.  Her better answer was that she was thinking of York. "You throw yourself at him for the power of his title while you throw yourself at me for the power of my body," he reminded her in a whisper.  "That old man cannot lift you against the wall and take you repeatedly until you are sore like I can.  You humor him, but hunger for me," Charles uttered as they walked away, feeling pretty good that he had managed some prose.  He would be surprised if he was not arousing her because he was arousing himself.  He could not bring her to his home any more, so he would need to visit her house instead.  yet, he had a meeting with Sophia and Susan later.  It would need to wait.

"Vauquelin?  She's not Catholic right?"  He was pretty sure she was a Hugenot since she attended Protestant services.  "The other French women with her is a Catholic and a whore."  He let the latter slip without thinking.  He was in the company of a whore -- York's whore and his whore.  Feeling a bit uncomfortable about that, he knew he needed another insult.  "I think she is a French spy.  Very rude too," he added just to hope that the whore insult was forgotten.

Nell, Alyth," he repeated as he thought of others. "Lady Alyth has a younger sister.  She would be good."  He could only hope that Catherine did not know Fiona.  Surely she would be jealous of the minx.  "I wonder if Peg Hughes might be included?  She is friends with Nell and had a life on the stage, you probably know her well through your father.  Maybe you invite some popular actresses too.  That will make others sit up and take notice of your group."  Left unsaid was that many gentlemen wanted the actresses as their mistresses and would be wanting to have the Merry Girl Gang come to a party as long as they had the most popular actresses on the stage in their company.  "This will sound crazy but Lady Anne Scott loves adventure, but I think she wants to sail ships, learn swordplay, and that sort of adventure.  I'm not sure if witty banter would be enough of an adventure for her, but having a Duchess like her would be good.  Oh, and the Duchess of Cleveland!"  How could they forget Barbara Palmer?  "I wonder if the Duchess of Richmond would be interested?  If it was more than just bawdy things, maybe she might like it," he posited. 

Charles and Catherine

Once again, Catherine had given him fodder for their game. What was wrong with her today? Maybe the situation with York was upsetting her more than she cared to admit. Charles' provocative words pushed the Prince out of her mind and desire for her lover took his place. Thinking of him throwing her up against a wall while slamming into her sent delightful sensations rippling through her, making it challenging to think of a witty comeback. “If you recall, you're the one who pins me against the wall. You crave me so much that you make certain that I cannot escape from you.”

Speaking like this on the church's snow-covered lawn seemed quite naughty to Catherine. Maybe he was hoping that he would invite him over for a swive? It was tempting, but she would be giving him yet another opening to score a point. Perhaps he would suggest it instead.

“If she was, I think we would have heard of it.” Catherine had not liked Nicolette at first. She had thought she was after Charles, but judging from her behavior since the Christmas Ball, she flirted with anything in breeches. And she made an excellent Lady of Misrule. Her mischievous ideas would be encouraged in a Merry Girl Gang.

Since Catherine thought of herself as a mistress and not a whore, she was not insulted by his comment. She had only had two lovers. Whores, like that slutty O'Roarke, had many … and probably the pox. “The woman who is trying to take Frances away from you?” He had told her about that Frenchwoman at the Spanish party while they were conversing with Lord Melville. “I can't remember her name, but of course, I'll exclude her.”

If Charles didn't send Frances away, she planned to contact said Frenchwoman and ask how she could help her gain custody of the girl. Frances was a bother now, and she would be even worse when she got older. Charles didn't need to be burdened with her when she clearly had every intention of making him miserable for the rest of his days.

Catherine considered his suggestions. “Yes, I know Peg. She may be interested if Cumberland doesn't mind. I doubt she'd do anything he doesn't approve of. I've heard that Lady Alyth's sister is trouble, but maybe she's the kind of member we need.” She grinned when he mentioned including actresses. “Yes! That's an excellent idea. My father will know which ones are the most popular when I start the group.” Fame was fleeting and most actresses didn't hold onto it for long.

“I don't know about Anne Scott now that her husband has been sent away. I'll watch her and see how she's treated. We won't look good with outcasts in our group. Same with Cleveland. She's been away from court for so long that it's hard to tell if she'll be welcomed back by everybody. If she is, she would make an amazing addition to the gang.”

Catherine wrinkled her nose when Charles mentioned the Duchess of Richmond. “She's such a silly thing and all she cares about is gossip, gossip, and more gossip. Still, if I want a Duchess in the group, she might be the safest bet and she'd probably be thrilled to be asked … and not smart enough to figure out what we're really about. I wish York's wife wasn't such a goody two shoes. I could get revenge on him by involving her in our exploits.”

Since Lady Cambray's arrival at court only a few days ago, Bess had brought all of her meals to her. Anne-Elisabeth had never asked where she got them. As there was no space in her small room for a cook, it was possible that the residents of St. Marks were allowed to eat in the palace. If so, she could go to the Great Hall to dine whenever she wished. If not, who would know if she were to sneak in? Today she was more interested in a private visit with her new friend.

“Perhaps another time. I think I would rather dine in your rooms.” She kept track of where they were going, memorizing small landmarks and objects so she could return this way on her own. “Would we even be allowed to sit together?” she asked after Davina had explained the seating hierarchy. “Do the Queen's ladies have their own table? And where do widowed Countesses fit in?” She didn't want to be sent to the lower tables simply because she wasn't married or because she was new to court. If she couldn't eat at the higher-status tables, she would continue to take her meals in her own room.

“Of course I have one. I don't have it with me but I can send for it. It might be easier to borrow one of yours, if you're certain you don't mind. Otherwise, I can locate my maid and she can bring it to me.”

"A wise choice and my Poppy shall see to everything. Being in the Queen's Household has advantages for there are seperate kitchens for both their Majesties so anything can be had. Ah. As for seating well that all depends upon the late Earl. There is a Stweard that oversees and ensures that everyone is seated where they should. In your case you must know the date your husband's Title was created to determine Precedence -  the older the Title the higher in Precedence one is. Imagine if you lined all of the Courtiers up starting with the Non-Royal Dukes down to Barons. The first Duke would be Norfolk for his is the oldest Title and he is also the Premier Peer of the Realm. Below him would be the next oldest title and so forth on down the line. Tis the same for the wives for each takes her own Rank from her husband and in your case you simply need to know who is above you and below you. Tis the same for where one sits."

"You are a Countess by Rank and thusly entitled to be seated at an upper table but I would think you would be the only one and thus must be partnered with some less desirable persons. Tis one reason why most do not eat there and only do so on Court Functions or other Occasions. And no I would not be allowed to sit with you if other's of a higher rank then my own were present. I am a Viscount's daughter which is one step below an Earl. My own place in that line is based on the same title dates. Tis all so confusing and I will advise you not to worry over it much! Only do so when it matters."

She indicated a corridor on the right that led to a set of stairs that would see them back inside the Palace proper. From there they would pass rooms and corridors until they reached the area know as 'The Queen's Side'. From there they would inter-mingle with other Courtirers and servants and who knew who carrying out all kinds of tasks and business. It may be the New Year but the twelve days of Christmas were not yet concluded so Whitehall was still very much overcrowded.

"Today I shall take you thru the normal and public way so that you may have cause to remember but then into the 'private side'. The Queen's Side mirrors that of The King. First will be Presence Chamber which any Courtier may enter. Tis more a social place to see and be seen. Next shall be the Privy Chamber down a short corridor and you can only enter there by Invitation and the doors are shut and as you see guarded. But now we shall pass into inner chambers or privy lodgings that vary in size and number thru this archway."

The Countess might take note of how 'dark' the area was from all  the wood panelling that was lined with linen. They came next to a set of stairs that would take them up to the area of more lodgings and room. Davina acknowledged greetings and bows and knew that many wondered about the other Lady by her side but an assumption would be made that she was as Davina.  

"Now thru this door .... And we shall be back out into the light and my rooms are but a few steps away. I have made you travel much I am afraid and so shall see you well taken care of. That is my door at last!"

She gave a sigh and set to open the door allowing the Countess to enter first calling out for her maid Poppy who might be surprised that she was back and brought a visitor.

The process of taking one's meals in the palace did seem quite confusing. Anne-Elisabeth knew that Arthur's title was very old, for he had told her that many of his long-dead ancestors had been Earl of Cambray, and he felt he must live up to his heritage they had left him. He had taken his position seriously, but she wasn't sure if he had ever been to the English court. Like most young noblemen, he had gone on a tour of the Continent and he was abroad when he learned of his own engagement. Arthur had decided to travel directly to Barbados to meet her and he had befriended her brother Steven on the journey.

Although he had told her that he would take her to court when they moved to England, he had not described it, leading the Countess to believe that he had not attended. The courtiers she had met after his death had been happy to regale her with all of the wonders available during the seasons that were held several times a year, which further made her wonder if Arthur had ever been. But it didn't matter now. He was gone and she had just begun a new life in the very place he had promised to take her.

“I think I shall continue to have my meals served in my room if that is what most ladies in my position do.” If the dining room was usually crowded, the stench of so many bodies would probably drown out the delicious aromas of the dishes being served. Anne-Elisabeth had a very sensitive nose. “When I get a place of my own, I'll have my own cook and then you can come visit me.” With any luck, she would be able to hire a cook from Barbados so she could enjoy the food that she had grown up with. Many of the ingredients used were not readily available, but there must be at least one shop in London that sold exotic fruits, vegetables, and spices.

She continued to take note of her surroundings as Davina led her up staircases and through corridors. The Countess had an excellent sense of direction but she felt as if she were navigating a maze. It was going to take her a fair amount of time to find her way around. The darkness of one particular hallway seemed a bit depressing, and she wondered who resided there. Nobody very important surely. Up another flight of stairs and they were in a more cheerful area, which obviously housed the Queen's ladies-in-waiting.

“Thanks for showing me around a bit.” she said as Mistress Wellsley led her into her chambers. Now she knew where the Queen's presence chamber was and she could put her plan into play to make herself so indefensible that they would offer her a place in the household. Perhaps by that time, she and Davina would be such good friends that she would give her a recommendation. Generally, she only befriended people who could help her in some way, but with Davina, it was different. She didn't care if she ever mentioned her to the Queen, she simply liked the other raven-haired woman and wanted to get to know her better.

"I think you will be better for it!"

They were greeted by Davina's maid Poppy who was quick to observe her Mistresses guest and made her curtsey taking their outdoor coverings and saying to warm themselves by the fire and that she'd see to thier wants.

The Countess would see -

The room was not large but bigger than one say at St Marks yet decidely richer in decoration as well as furnishings. She had been alocated them some years ago now so they refelected her true self with the pale walls and dark wood and the double windows which she had placed a desk in between and now were covered by the rich moss green velvet drapes. At one end was her fireplace that too not large but it heated the space upon which was a marble mantle that held small trinkets and things she'd picked up to dried flowers and a watercolor of Matching her brothers Seat and a clock made from blue china. The room carried the scent of lavender which had been tired up in a bunch then tossed over the logs. Two tables and a small divan occupied the rest of the space and the half open door led to her bedchamber. She would also see Davina's embroidery frame that was set to the right of the hearth for it was a large one and so turned to catch the light from the windows with a chair covered in pale apricot satin beside it. A silver tray placed on the desk held several small glass bottles filled with wine, brandy and a cordial with two crystal glasses. 

"Poppy were are both chilled and hungry so send someone for something filling and sweet as well."

She indicated that the Countess take the chair nearest the hearth with a wave of one hand adding that "You needs must be as comfortable as you like! And what will you drink? Muled wine is easily made or there is wine or brandy ...."

"Your journey here was nothing. If you come to see me then there is the normal way which we did not use now. Tis Public in all its areas and will bring you to my door. Tis also easy to meet anywhere else tis just the remembrances that takes some time."

She sat in the tall wooden chair with its scrolled arms and embroidered yellow velvet cushion that was the match to the one the Countess sat in with a sigh of pleasure.

"Tis nice is it not? How do you find London then?"

Catherine and Charles

"I pin you to the wall to keep you from attacking me with crazed lust," Charles offered in response with a laugh.  He was feeling good about besting Catherine this day.

Had he known her thoughts about Frances, he would have been quite perturbed; but, he naively thought that Catherine would be his ally in protecting Frances.

He was quite pleased that Catherine took to his idea and liked the actresses.  "The Duchesses would just make the group more select.  You could start without them and then add them later," Charles commented.  "Maybe, with the actresses you can come up with a bawdy play.  Perhaps your father could assist."

He had spoken of meeting Sophia at his home later but now he wondered whether there would be time.  Susan would be at the library in a few hours and he might be better served heading there. 

Charles and Catherine

“So I'm the one who lifts you up and slams into you over and over?” She grinned. “I'm not complaining, mind you. I rather enjoy your endeavors to wring out every bit of ecstasy from my body.” Catherine was losing this round and she knew it. Her main goal now was to arouse him to the point where he wasn't thinking so clearly. Then she could best him.

She didn't care too much for her father, but he was a fantastic playwright and a member of the Merry Gang. And he doted on little Caroline, his only grandchild. “I can ask my father to write a play for ladies only, maybe a group of virgins who aren't willing to wait until they're married to experience pleasure.” She grinned wickedly. “That should start us out with a … bang.”

All this talk, veiled or otherwise, about sex was getting her worked up. “You should come over tonight, Charles, and we can discuss this further.”

Catherine and Charles

"Careful, your lust for me is showing," he cautioned playfully.  "I like the play idea.  Have some churchman in it too … and a dashing officer, like the one you lust after," he added, continuing to try and layer on the points in their game. 

If Catherine hoped to urge Charles to become aroused, t was working.  He had helped with encouraging the topic.  Yet, he still needed to meet with Sophia and then Susan.  As for this evening, he was unsure.  "Frances … flowered yesterday at the sleigh race believe it or not.  Lady Chatham was on hand to assist but I need to be around I suppose.  I don't really have a governess or lady to look after her so I need to be there to cheer her.  I really do not know what I am doing in this regard," he admitted.  "So, if I am not there by 8 o'clock, I am not coming," he explained.  "I better get back into the church."  he needed to get his mind off sex.

Louis and the Hill Brothers

This was a church service that one could not miss.  Not only was it a holiday service that would be well-attended but now the Basildon household had two new visitors.  The pair of boys had been entrusted to Louis by the King, which was a distinct honor, though Louis was still sifting through the Hill connections and how best to play them.

Dutifully they had arrived with his sister and brother-in-law.  Though he likely did not need to impress the boys further, there was a need to show off his sister was a duchess.  The Somersets had wandered off to converse with others, as had Nicolette.  The boys were now in his care as he sought out the Duke of Norfolk, as well as Lord Ibracken.  They needed to see that the boys were safe.  This had been delayed as Louis had stepped out to use the privy before returning to the company of the boys, eager to hear what the interested guardians might say.  He also needed to quiz the pair about what they discussed with the King.  The morning breakfast had been too rushed for a good conversation. 

Charles and Catherine parting

“You started it by reminding me about how much you love to take me against a wall. Shagging me is all you can think about.” Catherine was pleased that Charles liked her concept. It was possible that her father might have other ideas, though. “No dashing officers, unfortunately. You will become jealous if an actor pursues me and will disrupt the play by claiming me for yourself.” She felt that she had gained a point or two but he was still winning by a landslide.

“Sometimes girls don't want men anywhere near them when that happens.” Catherine spoke from her own experience. She had been frightened and embarrassed when her courses had started, especially when she had found out what they meant. There had also been quite a bit of cramping and discomfort and she had not let her father near her for days. Of course, everyone was different and Frances might handle it in an entirely different way. “I suppose I should be heading home. Caroline was fretful when I left her this morning and I need to check on her.”

She squeezed his hand. “I shall expect you this evening. I know you won't be able to stay away from me.” And with that parting shot, she walked toward her carriage, turning back once to blow him a kiss.

(OOC - the King had Norfolk & Ibracken waiting in wings in the last thread, so the two gents have seen the boys and been informed of the situation at least which was where everything was left ;) ) 

The boys had been rather quiet since their time with the King, but it could easily be because of how much a center of attention they had been. Not to mention the chaos of Danby. In all likelihood, they were just exhausted now that the worst of the situation was all over. 

Norfolk and Ibracken were over the surprise that the boys did not wish to move yet again when the season was over in just a few more days. However, Lady Ibracken was not over the situation, having yet to see Trevor and Arthur, and she hastened her husband in the direction of Basildon. Ibracken had learned one valuable lesson in his marriage - it behooved him to humor Stuart women in everything  and women were fussy about children.