JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Clerical Cleansing to Start 1678 | Chapel 2/1 10am- Xmas 1677

Defiance

Francis and Sophia

“I thought to give it to you personally, not send it to his residence. You could come to my house and collect it or we could meet somewhere and I could give it to you then.”

Sophia paused for a moment. “But it will be just as well if I send it with a servant? He will still receive it and it won't just be put in storage somewhere before he ever sees it?” She had gifts for other important personages as well, and sending them with heartfelt letters would certainly save time than delivering them all personally. She was quite adept at writing in English now, though Anna still had to correct her grammar occasionally.

“Oh yes!” she exclaimed. “I should love to know what he thinks of it! And you can make sure it gets to him? He will not think it is an official gift from Spain, will he? It is only from me, from one music lover to another.”

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francis snorted, "Of course he shall see it!" In reality, Buckingham was vain enough to take note of such things. 

"I am sure that the thought shall cross his mind, but I shall say so to him if you wish," he added, about Spain. She and Spain were inseparable now, and there was little point in hiding it. "If your husband sends him an official gift, I am sure he shall consider it separate." 

It was easy to forget that she was so young and not always as experienced in court ways either. "I must away. I am supposed to meet Lord Melville, but I wanted to see you for a few moments and wish you the best for the new year." 

Cat and Charles

"Yes, well I have been trying to make her want to change.  It is not exactly going swimmingly yet," he admitted.  "My best hope is to isolate her on the estate where there are no city streets for her to become lost in.  Also, every family in the shire knows me and would only return a runaway ward back to the manor.  Here there are too many temptations and the ability to disappear."  That is what he feared the most.  "Patience … yes.  Maybe a year or two?"  She would be 14 by then and starting to mature surely.

The after church crowd was starting to thin and Charles thought he had best find Catherine and others.  He still planned a visit to the library later in the day; but, for now he would be free to mingle .  "Do you still have that bakery shop by the way?  Is it open during the holiday?"  If so, he might bring Frances there, or perhaps puick up some sweetrolls for her, and perhaps his love interests as well.

Cat and Charles

Cat worked very hard not to laugh as Charles believed that a lifetime could be completely adjusted in a year.  The suppressed chuckled turned into another hankerchief covered cough.  "If you think I can help in any way,  just let me know," she offered.  Indeed, the chapel was clearing out and it would probably be best to get home and spend a bit more time recovering.

"I still have a TEA shop that also sells baked goods," she said, one brow raised.  "And yes, it is open even if I wasn't able to see to it personally.  I hired a wonderful woman to manage it with her two daughters.  More than likely, she was happy not to have me there for a bit."  Cat was a very hands on owner, though trade was frowned upon by the nobility.  Happily, as a Scot, she didn't care.  Money was money and it gave her an excuse to spend time in the kitchen, working out her frustrations on bread dough and her need to take care of others with her sweet treats. 

"There is much to learn. A position in the Privy Chamber is sought after by many Noble ladies who use their Husbands Rank on which to build. Since you are a widow it will be harder. That is why making use of ANY Family connection will benefit. Perhaps on your Lady Mothers's side? If she was ever at Court then there might be those about still that will have some remembrances and be willing to support you. Court as you have seen is 'open' to most but not past the Privy Chamber on either side. And to be a part of it you must be accepted in."

"Understand this - I am no expert in how 'Governing' is done. I do however understand how to navigate Court. Since you have no husband it will be assumed that you shared and still share his Beliefs. Well what is a Dove? A peaceful creature that seeks to harm no one. A Hawk on the other hand is a Hunter. It stalks it prey, teases even, then swoops to kill. If I were to ask you which of those creatures do you identy with what would you reply? Court is full of each and thus factions are created. Your husband whould have had to choose where to place his Trust and Support and as his Lady you would be expected to follow suit. You can not say you do not have any interest in Politics for that makes no sense."

"Yet there is no rush Countess. Once New Year has come and gone Court will empty as most Courtiers will wish to return to estates and wait out the cold. Parliament sits the end of January unless His Majesty changes it so nothing of import will be done. That will give you time to 'study' us all. Use your eyes not just to see with but to see.  By that I mean oh .... Look to where the Prominent place themselves - Norfolk will always occupy a certain spot in the Great Hall as will Buckingham or Cavendish or Percy and those that seek to toady or help or even hinder will all be about.  Like fleas on fur."

"For myself I align with Norfolk because I am Howard kin yet I follow what my Brother commands. I am dove-like in appearance yet will hunt when I need to."

She took in a deep breath of the cold air as she stopped and turned to face her companion.

"You must make the choices on your own. If you wish to live Simply then Court may not be a wise decision. No matter what you will have to wait till Spring for any real direction. Until then enjoy yourself!"

"I am chilled thru. I think we have enjoyed enough of this space and I am in need of a warmth and wine! I wonder who lingers here still? Shall we find out? It will be an opportunity to make an introduction or two and then I shall send you off or show you more. Tis your say."

She had enjoyed this little time out of sight of anyone and the Countess might well prove to be someone she thinks to cultivate. It will be interesting to watch and see how she fares.

Sophia leaving Francis and approaching Charles and Catriona

“Please do.” Sophia knew that she represented Spain now, but not everything she did was for her husband's country. Especially not what I did at the ball with Lord Arundel. Being the wife of the Spanish Ambassador did not define her. She was an individual with her own interests and goals, and she wished more courtiers understood that. “I'm not certain if my lord husband sent him an official gift, but I would think he did. He allowed me to present his gifts to the King and Queen, but hasn't discussed Spain's other gifts with me. They are separate from my own.”

There were a few other things she wished to discuss with Francis, but they would hopefully speak again before the season was over. She didn't want to keep him from his appointment. “I wish you happiness and success as well.  Please give my regards to Lord Melville and wish him a happy New Year from me.” Did her former guardian know that the Scottish Viscount was a good friend of hers? “I will keep you no longer. Enjoy the rest of your day.”

Grinning affectionately, she turned away from him. Spotting Lord Langdon and Lady Alyth together, she decided to say hello to them. She had not seen Cat at all this season and had hoped that they would eventually run into each other. Frances was not with her guardian. Sophia and Lord Langdon had agreed that she would visit him after Church to talk to him about his ward and his mother. Had he told Frances about it? She was looking forward to speaking to her as well. However, it might be better to meet with the Earl without her.  He could tell her about the young girl''s interests and she could plan something for the two of them to do together that Frances would enjoy.

She smiled warmly as she approached the pair. “Lady Alyth, Lord Langdon. I hope you are both enjoying the new year so far.”

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth shook her head. “My lady mother was quite shy and I don't believe she ever attended court. Her marriage was arranged privately and she left for Barbados with my lord father soon after. I'm afraid that the only remarkable thing about my family is that they were completely unremarkable.”

The Countess thought that Davina was a bit too focused on family connections and that not everyone with advantageous positions had relatives to rely on. If so, those positions would be closed to any who were not a part of the most well-known families in London. Some courtiers achieved success on their own, In her case, it was probably better to become accepted on her own merit than to throw around names that would be utterly unfamiliar.

“Oh, I see.” Anne-Elisabeth had thought that Hawks and Doves were actual political factions, and not just a description of courtier personalities. She felt a bit foolish for misunderstanding. As for herself, she was definitely a hawk, but she supposed, like her companion, she could pretend to be a dove. “I have to admit that I have a fascination for politics.  I just need to learn my way around, which I certainly appreciate you helping me with.”

The rest of Mistress Wellsley's advice was just as informative. Lady Cambray was a natural observer and drew most of her conclusions on what she saw and perceived. She was not certain if she was going to stay in London or go back to her estate during recess. If she stayed, she could learn more and her mother-in-law might be more inclined to help her succeed if she didn't impose her presence upon her.

And it seemed that her lesson was at an end. It really was quite cold but she hadn't felt it much while she was engrossed in such an enlightening conversation. Now that they had stopped, the chill was beginning to seep into her bones. “If you are not tired of my company yet, I would love to meet a few more people.” Her opinion of Davina had changed drastically since the ball. There were many facets to her personality which had not been apparent then.  They were, perhaps, more alike than either of them knew. Now Anne-Elisabeth dared hope that the two of them would become good friends.

Charles, Cat and now Sophia

"A tea shop, yes," he allowed himself to be corrected sheepishly.  "I confess I have not developed must of a taste for tea.  I do like pastries however," he laughed with boyish zeal.

It was then that Sophia moved to join them.  "Ah, Lady Toledo, a good day to you."  It was clear that the blond beauty knew the Scottish beauty.  Charles was just pleased to be positioned between two beauties, even though his relationship with both was purely platonic.

Cat and Charles, with Sophia joining

Cat couldn't keep the smirk off her face as Charles admitted a love of pastries.  "I have yet to find someone who doesn't enjoy a good pastry.  Or biscuit.  Or cake," she replied.  Looked like tomorrow, after she was certain she would be fine, there would be a round of baking going on in the Alyth kitchen, to Cook's dismay. 

The arrival of Sophia was met with a smile.  Sophia would be able to see that Cat's cheeks were more flushed than usual and perhaps a bit of her pallor from her recent illness.  Or the fact that ever so often, she covered her mouth with her handkerchief to hide a cough.  "Good morning, milady," she replied.  "Well, so far I can't complain."  At least she was out of bed and still upright.  Points in the positive column for sure.  "And yourself?"

Davina And Anne-Elizabeth

"I am not so easily in want of my solitude Countess and so, if after any introductions, will you come back to my rooms? I can promise a fire and warmth and wine or what ere you fancy. I am one of the Fortunate Maids of Honor as I have my own rooms and do not have to reside dormitory style watched over by the Dragon that keeps them all in check!"

She laughed a bit then gestured for them to continue on back towrads the Chapel and any who might have lingered. 

This was an unexpect turn of events to be sure. This Countess, although younger than herself, was Wordly and not easily intimidated so it seems but Time will tell. She would also observe and form opinions and views all the better to present them to Lady Mountjoy if the Countess chose that direction.

"Have a care here and here ... " She indicated several small patches on the stones as the walked. "Tis slippery and I would not have you suffer an injury. I do hope that there are still some that linger for it would be most unrewarding to have no one save the Clergy!"

Charles, Cat, and Sophia

By her pale complexion and her subtle coughs, Sophia gathered that the reason she had not seen her friend at any court events was because she had been ill. She was too polite to say anything about it, not even that she was glad that Cat was feeling better, because that would have given away the fact that she had noticed that she was still a bit under the weather.

“I'm pleased to hear it,” she replied. The question was then turned on her and she performed a spontaneous little twirl. “The past few days have been lovely, except for all this snow. I will be even happier when the warm weather returns in the spring. It has been so long since we have spent time together, my lady. Are you free later this afternoon or tomorrow? I was thinking of going to the music room to practice my piano playing and singing.  I would be delighted if you could join me.”

Lord Langdon greeted her cordially as well. “Frances is not with you today, my lord? I was hoping to speak to her today.”

Davina's invitation was unexpected but most welcome, and Anne-Elisabeth smiled warmly. “I would be delighted to join you, Mistress Wellsley.” She had wondered what she would do during the rest of the afternoon, and spending it with this lovely lady sounded quite pleasant. And she would get to see a part of the palace that few people did, unless the Queen's ladies often invited courtiers to their private chambers.

Most of all, she realized with some surprise that she truly wished for Davina's friendship, not because she was in a position to assist the Countess in achieving a few of her goals, but that she really liked the other lady. She was gracious, friendly, knowledgeable, and seemed to enjoy helping newcomers become adjusted to court life. Maybe they would discover that they had some interests in common as well.

Who is the dragon who watches over the maids of honor? Is she referring to Lady Mountjoy? If so, she must not have a high opinion of her or perhaps she is only jesting. Anne-Elisabeth didn't know Davina well enough to tell, but hopefully, she would soon.

The lady was even solicitous of her safety, aware that snow was new to her. “Thank you. I still have not learned to navigate the ice very well. You should have seen me yesterday. I slipped and fell as I was walking to the table to register for the sleigh race. Luckily, three concerned courtiers came to my rescue. Do you know Lady Kendishall, Mademoiselle Vauquelin, and Lord Kingston?”

Davina and Anne-Elizabeth 

"Good! My Poppy shall have the room well warmed and everything ready. I shall be curious as to your reactions once inside. You must not judge me to harshly Countess."

They continued to walk back towards the archway then would turn right and into the open area which would take them back inside the Chapel if they wished.

She smiled at the three names giving her companion a long look before she answered.

"Lady Kendishall is also new come to Court so I can only say what I have heard. Lord Kingston is indeed known to me. He has many interests. I think he will like you. As for Mademoislle Vauguelin you already know she is Misrule for the twelve Day of Christmas? She is French. And I also have her acquaintance. She is difficult to describe and so perhpas best for me to speak in private. Ah. Good there are still some left." This said in refernce to those that lingered. "Shall I point them out or do you simply wish to present yourself Countess?"

Cat, Charles and Sophia

Sophia was always so cheerful, which would normally grate on Cat's nerves, but this particular blond did not do so. She had to think for a moment, but with a rueful smile, she said, "I'm afraid today I must spend getting my household back under control.  I have no idea what my brother has been up to while I was indisposed," other than taking their little sisters out to some sleighing thing, "so tomorrow would be better."  Then, she turned to Charles, perhaps a hint of mischief in her eyes.  "Lord Langdon, you are always welcome to join us.  Perhaps I shall bring some tea."  She paused, then added, "And some sweet treats."

“You won't hear any complaints from me.” Lady Cambray laughed. “I'm sure your chambers are much larger and more tastefully decorated than where I'm living now. “My room is rather spartan and I had to leave most of my personal possessions at my estate. I'm really looking forward to having my own place next season.”

She followed Davina back toward the chapel, perfectly content in her company. Anne-Elisabeth had surmised that she would know the three courtiers who had come to her aid, but it seemed that she had not yet met Lady Kendishall. By what the Queen's lady said about Lord Kingston, he must be a fellow libertine.

Her relationship with Mademoiselle Vauquelin appeared more complicated. Perhaps Mistress Wellsley, like so many English nobles, had no fondness for the French. It had been the same in Barbados, but the Countess refused to judge a person by their nationality. Nicolette was witty and fun to be around and she hoped they would get to spend some more time together before the season was over.

“Yes, when we first met at the ball, she introduced herself as the Lady of Misrule and I called myself the Lady of Limericks. We have the same tradition in Barbados but there have only been Lords of Misrule there. I fear they are a bit old-fashioned on the islands.”

Quite a few people were still gathered in front of the Church. “I think I should like to know which of those here would be amenable to new acquaintances and who I should avoid.”

Cat, Charles, and Sophia

A bright little thrill shimmered through Sophia's young body when Cat mentioned her brother. She wondered if the Countess knew that they still fancied each other and her marriage had done little to deter their feelings. It had been a few days since she had seen Douglas, and while she longed to ask how he was doing and where he was now, she didn't want to reveal how much she cared for him.

“Tomorrow then, perhaps in the afternoon?” Her two companions must have been talking about tea and pastries before she joined them, judging by the look Cat gave Charles.  They seemed to be good friends. “And yes, we will be happy if you can join us, Lord Langdon. How can anyone resist Lady Alyth's delicious refreshments? Frances is welcome too, if she is recovered by then. Since she is not feeling well, would it be better if I did not visit you today?”

To Cat: “I'm trying to befriend Lord Langdon's ward. She reminds me of myself when I was around her age.” Sophia had been rebellious in Venice, in a more refined but infinitely more damaging way.

Charles lingered within the chapel, seemingly knelt in prayer. He wore his uniform and had queued his hair, enhancing the drawn, haggard appearance the previous day's migraine had left in its wake. He fancied it lent him something of an ascetic air. An amusing thought, given that his purpose here was devilment. He had a wager with Nicolette, and meant to move one step closer to victory when the opportunity presented itself.

And so he waited for the chapel to empty, kneeling and watching the charity candles from under his brows.

As much as I might like to, I have a conflict sadly," Charles managed.  He had worried about taking Frances anywhere at this point.  He had also planned to visit his regiment on the morrow.  He had been derelict for the past week mostly.  Getting a bit of soldiering in would be a tonic for him.  There had been too much drama about his ward and other ladies.  Frankly, he needed the company of men.  In his mind, men were far more understanding of his tribulations than women.  There was also the matter of visiting a certain house looking for a hidden chest.

"I'm sure the two of you will have fun," he added as he prepared to excuse himself.  He wanted to find Catherine Sedley if she was still about.

Cat, Charles and Sophia

Cat had been aware of Douglas' interest in Sophia, but figured since the girl had married elsewhere, there wasn't anything continuing between them.  Of course, Cat was also known to be blissfully unaware of most of her siblings' actions.  She'd likely be locked up in an asylum if she knew half the stuff Fiona and Douglas got up to.  Or the Tower, for murder.

"Tomorrow afternoon would be perfect," she replied.  It would give her the morning to indulge in some baking.  Cat nodded when Charles declined the invitation and made her farewells as he departed.  "Shall we say around one, then?," she asked Sophia.

Cat and Sophia, with Charles departing

Lord Langdon politely refused their invitation. Sophia didn't doubt that he had other plans, but even if he didn't, he might feel as if he were intruding on the two ladies. Or perhaps he feared they would press him to sing. He seemed to know Lady Alyth quite well, but he was only mildly acquainted with her. The two of them traveled in different circles and had little in common except their concern for his ward.

“It won't be the same without you, my lord,” she said, adding a playful melodramatic sigh for good measure, “but we will try to manage.” He said nothing about her visiting him this afternoon, and she was a bit confused as to whether she should show up at his residence or not. She wasn't going to press him about it, though she might endeavor to speak to him  again before either of them left the chapel grounds.

After bidding him farewell, she turned her full attention to Cat. “One will be just fine. Do you want to go to the music room or would you prefer another location?” Knowing that her friend liked to sing as much as she did, Sophia didn't want to her to become frustrated if her cold prevented her from joining in.

Catherine Sedley was still in the chapel, standing before one of the stained glass windows, her back turned so that her face could not be seen. The light streaming through the window cast multicolored highlights over her dark hair. If one was fairly imaginative, it might look as if her head was ringed by a halo of rainbows.

Catherine and CW

He resisted a chuckle at the sight.  Catherine was no angel.  Approaching from behind, Charles moved to her side and looked up at the stained glass window image.  "Anyone we know?" he joked.  He was careful to observe her facial features as she looked upon him, it would give him insight as to her level of success with York at the Ball.

She said nothing more regarding Misrule - that would be saved for private if she were asked.

"Ah. The choice of who to avoid is one that must be made by you alone Countess. I shall however be happy to provide introductions. Now let me see .... " She gestured to where two ladies and a Gentleman stood then continued.

"The taller Lady is Countess Alyth. Scottish. Mistress to The King and has a baby daughter by him. Tempermental and highanded yet surprisingly known for her Charitable Works. I do not know her well enough to say more. The other lady is Baroness Toledo. Wife to the Spanish Ambassador to Court. She I do know. German by Birth. Is most unwilling to heed advice. Sings and has had two performances of which she sang Opera and at the last showed off her .. assets.. to great advantage to the assembled Company. I would be careful as no doubt she spys for her Husband (speculation based on Court gossip). The Gentleman is Lord Langdon. An Earl. Military Charming and very Skillful."

"Shall I make introductions?"

Charles and Catherine

Catherine jumped as Charles came up beside her. She seemed a bit somber and lost in thought, but her countenance brightened considerably when she saw him. “What if I said I found the the image appealing?” Her eyes narrowed mischievously. “You're so obsessed with me that you would probably try to break the window out of pure jealousy.”

“There are no courtiers here who are currently out of favor? Those are the ones I wish to avoid for if I am seen with them, I might be shunned as well. I wished to be looked upon favorably, not ridiculed for accidentally befriending a pariah.”

Davina gestured to two ladies and a gentleman. Anne-Elisabeth had seen the short blonde at the ball and had believed that Dorset was deceiving her when he told her that she was the wife of the Spanish Ambassador. It appeared that she had accused him wrongly, if only in her thoughts. The taller one interested her more. A King's mistress and the mother of his child. The Countess also had a temper and was unrepentantly haughty. She would probably get along quite well with Lady Alyth.

Yet perhaps it was not the best idea to approach the King's mistress and the Spanish Ambassador's wife in such a public place. They were controversial figures and she wondered if Mistress Wellsley was subtly testing her wisdom. Anne-Elisabeth wouldn't mind meeting the dark-haired Earl, but as she watched, he excused himself and walked back into the chapel.

“Perhaps it would be better to be introduced to those two in a less crowded area. I don't want anyone to think that I am allying myself with the King's mistresses and especially not with Spain.”

(OOC: My characters can't meet each other, so Anne-Elisabeth had to refuse that particular introduction, but she could change her mind about Cat if she and Sophia go their separate ways).

Cat and Sophia

Cat knew she needed to round up her sisters and head back home soon, but she wasn't in any real hurry.  She'd been stuck at home, sick, over the holidays, so she was just as happy chatting with Sophia.  "The music room is fine," she replied.  If her voice was giving her trouble, she could always just shut up and let Sophia do what she did best.  Cat's alto was a tad scratchy right now, but hopefully several dousings of tea would help clear up the rest of the congestion.  "Besides, I couldn't think of denying anyone the chance to hear you sing by meeting somewhere locked away.  My poor voice will only make yours shine more brightly!," she teased.

"Well Sunday Chapel is Safe enough and those one encounters here will be all smiles. Hmm. Out of Favor. Rest assured Madam that none within my sight are in that placement!"

"As for introductions why wait? As we are but passing do you not think some acknowledgement is necessary? Countess Alyth and Baroness Toledo might be curious and so tis up to each to extend further. Yet I shall bend to your wish. Lord Langdon has wandered off so I see. We can stand about to see if the two Ladies part but I would much prefer warmth or to continue back inside to see who lingers there and thus leave from the side exit? From there the way to the Queens Apartments is not long."

She could hardly add that she wanted to see where her lover was taking himself.

Cat and Sophia

So the music room it would be. “You sing beautifully,” Sophia insisted. “I was impressed when I heard you sing in the opera at Windsor shortly after I first came to court. Our voices would blend quite well together, but if you'd rather just listen, I'll be happy to entertain.” She hoped that Cat's voice would improve in the next twenty-four hours. Singing with somebody else was always more fun than singing by yourself.

“I would also like to buy some more tea from you before the season ends. They have a very poor selection in Madrid.” She wrinkled her nose. “And I'll probably be stuck there until spring.” It wasn't an entirely displeasing prospect as she would be able to see Juan again. Hopefully, he wouldn't be as busy at he had been last recess and would have more time to spend with her.

If she had been able to reveal her affair to Lady Alyth, they might have commiserated with each other, for both of them had royal lovers with the responsibilities of an entire kingdom resting on their shoulders.

“That's good to hear.” Maybe the pariahs stayed out of sight and accepted their fate. If she were ever in that position, Anne-Elisabeth would still attend all court events if for no other reason than to be a thorn in the side of those who shunned her. If ridiculing me makes them feel good about their pathetic pointless little lives, then I will have done a good deed and I might even go to heaven when I die. The Countess couldn't  remember the last time she had done something that benefited another unless it also benefited herself.

“They're not even looking our way and seem deep in conversation. Maybe they would even resent our intrusion.” What, she wondered, did a mistress of the King and the wife of the Spanish Ambassador have in common? Perhaps they're planning a nefarious scheme, though it's more likely they're just talking about the weather.

Her discussion with Mistress Wellsley had been so interesting that she had almost forgotten how cold she was. “Yes, it might be best to go back inside. I think my fingers and toes are becoming numb.” As Davina had only mentioned Lord Langdon in a casual manner, it didn't occur to Lady Cambray that she might be following him. She was sharp, but she couldn't read minds.   “It sounds as if you know the palace pretty well. I think it's going to take me years before I learn my way around.”