JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

"Yes, you should throw all the snowballs you wish," he encouraged his master's 'wife' with a smile. "There are no rules about that which I have heard and it is in the spirit of the fun!"

Before too long they were situated in the sleigh and when Misrule finally dropped her handkerchief, Beverley could not say he truly knew what he was doing. He was hesitant to give the horses too sharp of a signal and thus did not give much of enough of one and it took a bit before the set off at any pace quicker than a steady walk and only then it was a trot.

"Hit Osbourne if you can," he encouraged to his wife. They were close enough and Beverley was not fond of him for the incident at Brighton with Davina. Now he had a new reason to dislike him, for he had not thought the lady had wished to race and now she was surrounded by two, well, dolts. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cordelia and Chatham

Lady Lucas sat herself bunching up the bottoms her skirts and cloak combined to make a place of some stability for her boot-clad feet. She needed to feel secure and glancing up at her one-eyed Roman-esque Chariot driver she hoped he was a man of Substance along with his bravado and swagger! He was she guessed primed for Victory and she sent up a silent prayer asking for nothing ill to befall either of them. 

"Well My Lord? Are you secured and will you stand or sit? I trust the run will be quick and if we two needs must take missiles so be it but I shall watch and make note of any that simply throw for spite. Perhaps my advanced years will be a shield yet too many of a certain age now with freedom granted will make that impossible."

Cordelia and Chatham

Charles helped Cordelia into the sleigh and then followed himself.

"Seated, I think," he replied to her question, lowering himself to suit his words and gathering in the reins. Loose reins were bad, he thought, though for the life of him he couldn't remember why.

Though I should not gather them too tightly, either. Just enough tension that he knows you have a hold of him.

Taking up the whip in his right hand, Charles glanced at Cordelia and lowered his voice.

"Watch our left, if you please, and sing out if need be." He was uncomfortable admitting to that weakness, which he knew was irrational. It was obvious to anyone who took a moment's thought, after all. He snorted in annoyance at himself, and then laughed as it occurred to him that his missing eye essentially meant that half of his face was a shield. That half of his vision could not grow any more obscured after all, even if covered in snow. Stifling his chuckles, he settled in to await the signal, eye fixed on the little square of silk in Nicolette's hand.

It dropped.

Charles flicked his wrist and cracked the whip just above the horse's ear, grinning in fierce satisfaction as their preparations seemed to pay off. Their sleigh surged off the line, taking an early lead. The ride was somewhat bumpy, but Charles had been through considerably worse. He maintained his grip on the reins and cracked the whip once more to coax more acceleration from the horse, before opting to hold it in reserve for another burst of speed should the competition catch up. He was prepared to take snowballs if necessary, but judged it preferable to show everyone a clean pair of heels.

Francis laughed along with Caroline, "Well, I hope you have gained in maturity and improved your aim!" 

He surely did not know much about steering sleighs. Ships were his extent of navigation. He gave the horses a sharp rap and off they went.

"Oh!" Yes, truly not as easy as one might think! "I hope you are better than me!" He tried to maneuver close enough for her to have a change of hitting someone.

"Better than you in what? Playing the cello, most certainly! But as for this sledding and snowball business, we shall soon see!" Caroline shouted as they were now off, the jolt of their sudden lurch forward at the start almost throwing her off her feet but she regained balance and composure quickly. Lord Audley and some old bat were in the lead but that was beyond Caroline's control so she did not worry. She was the firepower on this mighty vessel to put it in naval terms so she readied her first snowball.

They pulled along side the Sophia and her Spanish master...errr..husband. Sophia opened up with a few lobs. Caroline turned her back for an instant on seeing a snowball coming right at her and felt the plunk of it between her shoulder blades. Swinging about she narrowed her eyes and wound up and threw right back at her friend. She was pretty much over some of what had come between them but one thing hadn't changed - Caroline did not like that Spaniard. Her second snowball was aimed for him then.

Nicci:

"A better vantage point.  Yes," the King replied, with an urgent look to Killigrew for assistance.  Being the cavalier that he was, the King assisted Nicci onto the chair and then onto the tabletop where they both stood, but finding the table wobbled.  Servants moved immediately to keep the table from moving. 

The lowest tree branch was still about six feet above the table top.  The King could reach it, but to lift himself upon it would be somewhat precarious.  He might lift Nicci up to a height where she might clamber up, but, with a dress, it would not be very lady-like.  "My lady, perhaps we can enjoy the view from here," he offered.  "You might want to grasp tightly to me so that you do not fall," he offered slyly.

Chatham/Lucas

The sled behind them had the temerity to throw snowballs at Cordelia.  One hit her in the back.  It was Anne-Elizabeth.  

Anne-Elizabeth

"Throw them at the driver!" Ogle shouted.  "He is the one we need to distract."  He was having a hard time gaining because sleighs were not very nimble on the snow.  Anne-Elizabeth would have a fair shot at the sleighs behind, but they were less a threat than the one slightly in front.

Toledos

Sophia scored a direct hit on Caroline, who returned the favor and hit Esteban on his arm, doing little to distract him.

Caroline/Francis

Caroline scored a hit on the driver.

Beverleys

Mary threw a ball towards Osbourne but it traveled but a short distance.  "Poo," she exclaimed as she tried again, this one getting closer to the competing sleigh.  They were not gaining on the main pack.

Davina

Peregrine gave a couple of snowballs to Davina.  "Come on, throw now.  We are nearly at the end of the race."  He picked up one and threw it wildly towards the sleigh in front.

Everyone

The finish line was up ahead.  They were more than half way there.  The sleighs lumbered on and only Chatham and Ogle had a good chance, absent the others doing something daring, and perhaps dangerous.

Charles, Chatham and Frances

Ordinarily without a clue regarding female issues, Charles turned and gaped at the blood on the snow.  "Are you injured?"  With a concerned look he moved to comfort his ward. The words came out of his mouth before he started to recall his wife and lovers' issues with the monthly visitor, as they called it.  Had Frances started?  Was she old enough?  Had someone told her what to expect? Maybe she was injured after all.

Charles have Lady Chatham an urgent look.  The older lady would know what to do if this was a female thing.  Surely.

The King  & Nicci

"Yes this might do." Nicci hardly liked how shaky it felt stood atop the table, but she did like how well it showed off who the King was keeping the company of. He did not even seem to think about that, but it meant such a great deal to this French girl.  An entire lifetime she'd led a largely anonymous life in her home country, and here she now was in England and stood on a pedestal with only the most important man in the country. 

At his suggestion she clung to his arm.  "It is rather wobblily." she admitted with an excitable pitch to her voice.  "And probably high enough also. You did not attend my Cousins party last spring did you, where Master Lucas risked himself in a tree with dreadful results." Truth be told, if the table wobbled much more she'd need to think of a way to suggest they become tera-born once more. 

It didn't look as if Lord Ogle needed protection from icy missiles. They were still only slightly behind Lord Chatham's sleigh. Taking his advice, she began lobbing snowballs at Lord Chatham, one after the other. She had only met him shortly before the race, and she hoped that he didn't hold the assault against her. It was all in good fun, after all.

She also threw a few at the horses. Maybe they would become distracted and therefore harder to handle.

Edited by Anne-Elisabeth Devereux

Esteban seemed impervious to Caroline's attacks, which was good. At the moment it appeared as if they weren't going to win, but perhaps her husband had a trick or two up his sleeve.  Sophia grinned at Caroline as they volleyed snowballs back and forth. both of them hitting their targets.

She continued to toss snowballs at any sleigh that threatened to pass them. Even if they didn't prevail, nobody would be able to say they didn't try.  She was certainly not going to give up.

Davina 

She could not worry about Churchill just hoped that he was able to drive without over-turning them all. So twas to Osborne that she sent her focus and at his words calmly proceeded to do as he asked.

"I am afraid my aim may be off and I am not as strong as some but I shall give my best!"

Her gloved hand held a snowball and with a slight smile she took aim and launched it at the Gentleman beside her. It made contact with the side of his neck. Quickly followed by "Oh! have a care Sir! Why that was most unlucky! I do believe it came from that sleigh behind us  ...."

She could not help her chuckle.

Cordelia and Chatham

The small thud felt aganist her back made the older Lady half turn and so was quite plain as to the direction it had been launched. She gave no response but turned back round. Continued to quielty aid Chatham as he had asked and made sure he knew what was happening on the side where he was blinded.

As for the young woman who had reached out Lady Lucas NEVER forgot a face and at the conclusion of this Production would make that evident.

Cordelia and Chatham

Charles focused on the line, sparing a sliver of his attention to scan (what remained of) his peripherals for any sign of an overtaking threat and listening carefully for any warning from Cordelia. He felt rather than saw Cordelia turn as she was hit, and heard Ogle's shout from close behind. Wrapped in the same clarity that came when fencing, he calculated swiftly. Running in a straight line was the only thing required of the horse, and essentially the only thing he would trust a horse for. The course would surely have been swept for any potentially dangerous obstructions like tree roots and such. He had little to do in the way of steering, merely correcting any tendency of the horse to drift, and rather suspected any more ambitious efforts in that direction would be counterproductive. All Charles had to do, really, was slow and stop safely once the line was crossed.

And I flatter myself that I have kept my head through much worse than anything that could be dealt out by a handful of women armed with handfuls of snow.

Mind made up, he cracked the whip.

icolette

The King whispered "hold tight and I will not let you fall."  He could tell that the French girl was a bit nervous about their precarious stability.  Yet, the King knew that the servants would keep the table stable.

Beverley

Because of Churchill's erratic driving, the Beverley's were able to draw closer to Osbourner, Davina and Churchill.  Mary lobbed a snow ball as hard as she could.  It flew over Peregrine and hit George in the back of the head, causing the blond gentleman to turn to see who had hit him.

Davina, Peregrine and George

Peregrine was drunk, but he could divine who had hit him.  "A hit," he laughed.  "Now you owe me a kiss."  He meant to take it right then and he moved closer and leaned over Davina expecting to claim a prize.  At the same moment, George turned, pulling on the reins and causing the horses to turn as well.  It was too much for the sleigh and it overturned on its side.  Fortunately they were not going very fast.  No one was injured, though George's ego may have been wounded as he lay on his side.

Meanwhile, Peregrine toppled onto Davina, finding that he had pinned her.  "Churchill, you drive like a madman," he cursed but then sought to take advantage of the circumstances and moved in to steal a kiss from Davina.

The Toledos

Esteban urged the horses to greater speed, but he dared not drive recklessly.  He could not afford to have Sophia injured.  It was clear that they were not going to win in the race.  He muttered "a good showing any way."

Francis and Caroline

They drew closer to the Toledos.  Volleys of snowballs were exchanged.

Ogle and Anne

Henry took the race very seriously, as if his family honor depended upon it.  It did not help that his father was watching.  An initial spurt of speed allowed the sleigh to draw closer to the lead sleigh.

Chatham and Lucas

Ogle drew closer, but Chatham willingness to crack the whip, and increase danger levels thereby, was enough to stave off the advancing sleigh.

Chatham and Lady Lucas had won the race!  Now came the challenging part of getting the sleighs to stop safely.  Everyone managed it … except for Churchill and friends of course.

For a moment, it looked as if they were going to pass Lord Chatham's sleigh, but the one-eyed Earl crossed the finish line first. The adrenaline rushing through Anne-Elisabeth's veins began to fade and she was rather miffed that they had lost. Perhaps she should have driven the sleigh herself and let Lord Ogle throw the snowballs.

He was probably as disappointed as she was. As soon as the sleigh stopped, she looked toward the registration table. Nicolette and the King were standing on top of it and her friend was clinging tightly to his arm. Had she been lucky enough to fall in with one of the King's mistresses? “Lady Misrule!” she called, her voice clear and playful. “What is the prize for second place?”

They didn't win, but nor had they finished last. Maybe it was better that they had not won, Sophia thought. Spain prevailing over England would have angered quite a few courtiers. If it had irritated the King, he would be less likely to agree to her husband's peace treaty. They had done their best, so perhaps they would be remembered for that and for their good sportsmanship as well.

She had no idea that Esteban had been cautious because he was concerned about her safety. Even though she looked delicate, she was as sturdy as the average German and had excellent balance. She would have thought it sweet if she had known.

“We did well,” she replied, nodding toward the overturned sleigh containing Mistress Wellsley and two gentlemen. “Much better than those three. They probably overloaded the sleigh.” As she waited for Esteban to help her disembark, Sophia glanced over at Lord Chatham and his partner, an older woman she did not recall meeting before.

As always, the sight of the attractive Earl sent pleasurable sensations dancing through her small form. If Mademoiselle Vauquelin had paired me with him, I would have won. In more ways than one.

Davina and Company

He had not been fooled and thus was quick to claim his 'reward' but Fate seemed to intervene and soon she knew some fear as the sleigh began to turn and then fell onto its side and she could not help the small screem that escaped sure that Death was close at hand even tho was hardly likely. 

Peregrine was atop her his weight making her unable to move his intent clear with his words and she made ready.  From her place she smiled up at him as if ready to fulfill. When he tried to capture her mouth she waited until the last monment before any contact then bit his lip with enough force to stop him but not enough to draw blood.

"Get off me for I can not breath for your heaviness! Or do you wish to feel my sting again?"

She knew she had suffrered no injury now and so it was that sudden amusement took hold and her eyes began to dance as they looked up at Peregrine waiting for his reply.

Caroline grinned when her throw struck the Spaniard though was disappointed he sluffed it off and kept on task. Pity it was only packed snow. Francis did his best to close and by that point neither she nor Sophia could hardly miss as they bombarded each other at close range. It was over then though without any obvious victor in their snowball war but it was quite evident Chatham and that old bat had won the race part of the activity. She had to admit she was glad for her one-eyed friend (and a bit more)  being victorious. Well, anybody other than Sophia's husband.

She also had to laugh at the unfortunates in the spilled sled as Francis went by them remarking to him, "Better them than us, eh, Admiral?"

Pulling up then, Caroline thanked him for his part in it all, "You drove superbly, well everything you do seems to be done that way. I had a grand time."

Then alighting from the vehicle she gave a little wave toward Sophia to show their snowball exchange had been all in good fun, least on her end. She despised the Spaniard not Sophia of course.

Cordelia and Chatham

She had judged him correctly - he did indeed mean to Win.

He mastered the whip with ease and was able to drive past the other sleighs and from her braced positiion she hoped that he would not turn recklass of a sudden in his desire and with that thought she gave over to the moment calling out to him with praise as it was clear they had indeed won.

"Do not over-turn us now My Lord. Steady with the reins and slowly pull back and then we shall stop in a calm manner. Well Done indeed Lord Chatham! I hope that the rewards are equal to the measure of your abality or else I shall be most annoyed and even might give voice to that yet with His Majesty present can hardly do so. I will however have some speech with that young woman who took aim. You must tell me if you know her in advance. Will you?"

Nicolette & The King

"La! With promises like that, I am seduced to your wishes!"  With a wink and grin she did indeed clutch.

She knew he'd only meant the literal, however much the figurative understanding was desirable.  Imagine a merry King like he to encourage her closeness, and to utter such a promise?  Falling from Grace was the greatest calamity.  Imagine if the King of England had just vowed that he'd not let that happen to her?!  He had not done so of course, but it was a pretty thing to imagine.  And a coquettish thing to tease of the cavalier. 

As the races returned their circuit back to the finish line, Nicolette crowed delight at the jumbled sport. ""Shall Ogle take it?! Go Lord Chatham, Go!" Nicolette plainly had a favourite between the two (even though she still thought Chatham had forgotten her dare).   But perhaps her cheering that gave the Earl the additional inspiration he needed - to crack the whip and claim first place!

"Hurrah!"  Nicci’s form shuddered excitably, quite forgetting the precarious and frankly dangerous position she and the King currently held (stood atop a wobbly table). 

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

Anne-Elisabeth and Ogle

Nicolette did not answer her question. Maybe she was too smitten with the King to pay attention or the Countess had not spoken loudly enough.  There was a lot of commotion around them.  “Come, my lord,” she said to Ogle, a mischievous smile playing across her full lips. “You drove splendidly and we only lost by a hair. I think we deserve recognition for doing so well. Let's convince Lady Misrule to recognize our effort and give us a prize for second place.”

Cordelia and Chatham

In truth Charles heard no cheering as they raced for home, focused as he was on the line. Winning was all that mattered, and there was no room for anything but the race in his mind. His lips curved into a hard smile as they took the victory, consciousness of the wider world beyond the makeshift course rushing back. Regardless of field or stakes, triumph was the sweetest drug Charles knew.

Of course, now he had to stop the damn thing.

He nodded in reply to Cordelia's advice, for it was better than anything he had come up with. (Idly, the thought that he ought to have considered that before urging the horse on fluttered across his mind before being dismissed.) He kept steady pressure on the reins, and gave another sharp nod in satisfaction as they coasted to a gentle, dignified halt.

Dismounting nimbly, Charles held out an arm to help Cordelia descend. He laughed aloud with delight as she mentioned rewards.

"For myself, Lady Lucas," he told her, "Victory is sufficient reward in and of herself." He lowered his voice conspiratorially. "Particularly a public victory, hmm?" He returned to normal volume. "And I cannot claim all the credit either. 'Twas you who chose our noble steed, and bore the brunt of the snowballs."

Glancing around at their competitors, Charles felt his lips curl slightly in distaste as he heard Lady Cambray ask after a prize for coming second. 

Gauche, to inquire in such a manner, and childish to ask at all. If you want a prize, my lady, win.

Shaking his head, he turned back to Cordelia.

"Our snow-wielding would-be assassin is Lady Cambray. I was introduced to her but moments before the race, actually, and cannot claim to know much of her at all."

Francis laughed as he tried to keep his sleigh in control while his partner was throwing snowballs with a vengeance. He surely expected to get hit too!

"God's Blood!" he exclaimed as one of the young chaps overturned his sleigh. Damned foolish... It was one thing to be reckless with one's own life, let alone a lady's and multiple other ladies. 

"Indeed!" he replied to Caroline. "And it's not like these things stop or steer like a coach. They're lucky to not get hit." He snorted with amusement. "Young bucks, they're always a bit overeager." 

As they finished, he felt they had thrown a great number of snowballs and had not been made into idiots, so it was quite successful! He hopped out of the coach and held up his hand to help his lady-friend down. "I do hope there's hot drinks and that they are spiked with something very generous," he commmented with a grin.

Cordelia and Chatham

She waited until he'd manuvered the sleigh and stopped with success before she stood and accepted the offered arm smiling at his obvious sense of Pride.

"Victory. Indeed Lord Chatham tis most sweet and even better in such 'Company'!" She made a small geature towards the King. " I am no judge of horseflesh - I favored the color of the beast tis all!"

"Lady Cambray you say?" Her gaze going to and then holding that figure. "Married or daughter of an Earl - I wonder which. Ah well. She needs must give me due deference if I am the Senior Lady present, by age I mean. Introduce me My Lord  for I have a desire to find out more".

"And I should congratulate her for such a good eye."

That her tone was of a more serious nature he might well deduce yet he would find she would keep to the amusement of the Sport if he did provide an introduction.

Nicolette

The French lady seemed to revel in the royal attention; but then, many did.  The King fought a smirk as she held tight.  She used the word seduction in her response.  No doubt he too looked for hidden, or not so hidden, meaning within words.  It was clear that the pair enjoyed the closeness of the moment, notwithstanding the occasional wobble in the table.

Ogle and Anne-Elizabeth

The King and Lady Misrule seemed not to hear Anne's call for a consolation prize, though the other racers would hear it clearly.  Henry was quite upset at the loss, not taking it well at all.  He was not only a privileged son of a duke; but, his father never seemed pleased with whatever his son accomplished unless he was victorious.  Now that was denied him by some one-eyed driver and an old woman.  Life was not fair!  They must have cheated somehow, Ogle tried to justify to himself.  It was the only way he could explain it to himself and his father.  The Cavendish men were expert horsemen and expected to demonstrate their skill in all things equestrian.

"I think they started before the lady dropped her kerchief," he muttered to Lady Cambray.  "I apologize that we could not best them.  Nine times out of ten we would have won," he continued to grumble.  He looked for his father and saw the Duke moving towards the King and Lady Misrule.  "Let's not ask," he urged his companion.  "It is not seemly."

Toledos

Esteban assisted Sophia from the sleigh gently.  "That's what can happen when one is reckless," he declared as he observed the overturned sleigh.  "I hope they are well.  We should congratulate the winners, though let us go and see if we can be of assistance to the fallen.  He started moving towards the overturned sleigh, as were liveried servants.

Davina

"Ow" Peregrine exclaimed when Davina bit his lip.  "Like a viper you are madam, but I shall brave your lovely fangs any day for a kiss."  He made good with a quick brief kiss and then retreat of lips.

"Hallooo," came the call from arriving grooms.  "Anyone hurt?"  Churchill replied "I think I lost my lunch" in a groggy voice none too pleased with the state of affairs of his clothing.

That was the front seat.  In the rear, Peregrine was still pressed against Davina, appearing to be a victim of gravity.  "I am not sure I have the strength to lift my self from you," Osbourne whispered.  "If you promised to meet me later tonight, it might give me the strength I sorely need to lift my broken body.  Tell me the time and place.  Give me a reason to fight this shroud of despair that threatens to overtake me and my body after this calamitous carnage that Churchill has wrought."

Davina

He was quick to claim a second but that was all. She could hear the arrival of others' and her 'I am trapped help!' was uttered loud enough she hoped to be heard hopefully by some Gentlemen all the while she was trying to push aganist Osbourne's with little success.

"Odds fish Osbourne you are a frightful weight and will soon eclipse Heneage Finch" She puffed in a whisper back. "If you've damage my dress I shall send the tailors bill to your Father and as for meeting you - you could only Hope. Carry on with that drivel and that shroud might be permanent. And as for Churchill tis by God's Grace we are not injured. I wonder who won? Must you breathe so ......"

That she was still amused he would see but if he thought to further his liberties she would set him to rights. 

Anne-Elisabeth and Ogle

Lord Ogle seemed quite distraught about losing, and maybe asking about a prize for second place only emphasized the fact that they hadn't won. Anne-Elisabeth had thought that he would enjoy being praised for such a close race, but sometimes it was difficult to predict what went on in a gentleman's head. She regretted her question now, and was glad that neither the King nor Nicolette seemed to have heard.

“You're probably right,” she concurred when he suggested that Lord Chatham and his partner had cheated. "How else could a one-eyed gentleman and an old lady defeat us?” Her smile was warm and reassuring. “There's no need to apologize, my lord. You did your best and you'll probably have the chance to compete against him again at some point, maybe in a horse race or other sport." A bit of sauciness crept into her low sultry voice.  "You strike me as the kind of man who is good at everything he does.”

She held out her hand. “Will you help me out of this sleigh and take me to safe ground? I'm not yet accustomed to walking on snow.”

The Toledos approaching Davina and Company

Sophia accepted her husband's assistance and nodded at his suggestion that they congratulate the winners. When she thought of speaking with Lord Chatham again, even in such an innocent manner, warmth spread through her body, lessening the chill in the air.

Esteban wanted to make certain that the three people who had flipped from the sleigh were uninjured, which she thought was a generous gesture and would perhaps inspire a more favorable impression of Spain. She followed him over to them, noticing that there was a gentleman lying on top of Davina and that she didn't seem happy about it. “Do you need assistance, Mistress Wellsley?” she asked politely.