JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Cordelia and Mary Then Going To Lord Chatham

Lady Chatham it seemed was quite pleased at the turn of events and Cordelia was glad for it meant that she too had seen the advantages in compliance with The King.

Cordelia had erred in one thing in her thinking - the two of them would not ride together but would be separated - so it would not be as 'Deputies' as she had wanted. But no matter She had still been singled out.

"I shall indeed do that." She replied to the comment about measuring her step-son.

and I am well enough equiped and long time in these situations and so I shall be able to see him most clearly. yet that 'patch' can be unsetteling and I do hope I do not stare. And please let him be able to navigate as well for I wish no accidents

So the two Ladies seperated and Cordelia moved towards her 'partner'.

"Well Lord Chatham. Are you able to give them all a good run or are we to be just for show hmm? I am Lady Lucas."

She smiled a little to show she teased but her gaze was steady and direct as she came to where he stood her manner one of interest mixed with curiosity. He would find her in good form and straight-backed posture the picture of good health lest he have doubts to her frailty.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles was agitated by the turn of events. He did not trust leaving Frances alone. He had no desire to race with a stranger. He was pondering whether he might slip away with Davina and Frances when Frances whispered that she wanted to go home. He angst melted into a look of concern. "Are you well?" Regardless, his mind sought t use the excuse to avoid the race.

It was then that Mary Audley arrived. "Lady Chatham, a pleasure meeting you. This is my ward Frances Smith. She is feeling poorly I fear and I shall need to withdraw. My sincerest apologies. I hope there is still time for Lady Misrule to pair you with another. I do not wish to send Frances back alone." It seemed like a godsend at the moment -- a chance to escape and regroup.

Davina And Company With Lady Chatham Joining

Well Really. Better and Better.

Her agitation was a perfect match for his and she closed the short space between them her voice pitched to include just the three of them.

"What? You intend to withdraw with The King here? What may I ask is a good reason?"

Frances then whispered something and Charles was swift to ask if she was unwell. Davina fixed her darkening blue gaze on her and her words were disbelieving.

"Unwell? Really? it must be the quickest advance for not but minutes ago you thought only of Rebellion!" To Charles "And so how Fortunate for now His Majesty can hardly gainsay your leave-taking."

It was then that another joined and Davina was forced to step back and turn her smile in place to offer a reverance then to add

"Lady Chatham welcome. I have been called by His Majesty."

She offered no reverance to Langdon and turned one hand gathering up her skirts her temper giving her cheeks a nice tinge of color as she walked away.

The Toledos

"Si, I have driven a sleigh, but it has been many years. Fortunately it is a straight course, so our biggest challenge will be stopping." He flashed a brief smile and then pointed to a sleigh that had two fine horses. "Let us choose this one." A royal groom was holding the reins and moved to assist.

Ann and Ogle

Henry did not seem to catch the meaning of her ball reference. "It might be a bit rough as I hope to win." Seeing the Spaniard move to a good pair of horses, Henry was quick to chirp "we need to move quickly and secure this sled. It has the best team. My father has an impressive stable and I can judge horses well," he bragged. "Let me help you in and then I will help collect snowballs for you. The groom by the sleigh offered to assist in that department as well.

The King, Beverley and Nicolette

Beverley wanted to wait for his wife. "I suppose that is right," he agreed, being a cavalier at heart. It was then that Beverley might see Mary approaching, in the company of Peg Hughes. The King did not yet see them.

"I think Master Killigrew meant to have the race begin with the drop of a handkerchief," the King uttered with a look to Thomas. "Exactly your Majesty!" the sycophant played along. "We thinks you should drop a royal handkerchief," the monarch continued, pulling forth a silk one with royal emblem. It was handed to Nicolette gracefully. "If you think this is bad, you should attend any group of lords who are asked to provide their opinions of any royal measure not to their liking." He offered a smile. "I think we should keep the pistol at bay for now. We do not want to frighten ... the horses."

Killigrew moved out in front of the sleighs and announced loudly "everyone choose your sleigh. You have five minutes to pack snowballs and place them in your sleigh. Your servant may assist. Any who do not have a partner should come see me." He was not so sure that all the parties were paired up or not, and several late arrivals made things more interesting. Two late arrivals were George Churchill and Peregrine Osborne who seemed to be well into their cups even this early in the day. They were laughing together as they arrived.

Davina Nearing The King & Company

She didn't look back but stode with a purpose to the area where Everyone was gathered hearing the announcement made by Killigrew which gave her pause. She had not actually been summoned by The King after all and so did that not mean she was not really a part of this whole scheme?

Slowing her steps and then stopping Davina huddled beneath her fur the cold seeping into her boots and adding a slight shiver to her person. If she were to blend in where she was as those who merely Watched none would be the wise.

She just might be able to leave and THAT was what she wanted now anyway. Charles had behaved badly in his catering to his 'ward' and she resolved to let this be a topic not further discussed again. He had made his choice. It was that which peeved her the most. His wanting to take Frances and not Her then his decision to run.

It was a cowardly thing and she found if very hard to apply such a term to him.

Her brow was furrowed as she stewed her thoughts all together and liking not the direction.

The Toledos

“I'm sure you will do fine.” Esteban was quite handsome when he smiled. Since he did it so rarely, Sophia had never noticed before. Their relationship did seem to be changing since this morning.

It's been many years since I've thrown snowballs too.” Except for the snowball fight she'd had before the opera with Master O'Neill, she hadn't played in the snow since she had left Germany. That had been a bit less than six years ago, but to a girl as young as Sophia, six years seemed like forever.

“Very well,” she said. Gathering a considerable heap of snow in her small hands, she tossed it in the sleigh. “I claim this sleigh in the name of Spain,” she laughed. As she continued to pile snow in it, making certain she left a place for herself to sit, she posed her question again, since her husband had not answered it.

“Whether His Majesty races or not, do you think it is a good idea for us to win or to let an Englishman pull ahead of us at the last moment? If we win, do you think he will be less inclined to agree to your treaty?”

Anne-Elisabeth and Ogle

He's either the boring proper sort or a naïve fellow who doesn't understand the naughty turn of a phrase. Or could he be playing hard to get? Anne-Elisabeth had initiated quite a few young gentlemen into the joys of lovemaking, and if he wished for instruction, she would be happy to provide it. “Don't worry, my lord, I like it rough,” she assured him, trying double-entendre again. "And since we both fully intend to win, we should be unstoppable.”

He seemed to be as good a judge of horses as she was of men. I wonder if he's hung like one, she mused. I should really get my mind out of the gutter and concentrate on the task at hand. “I trust your judgment, but I think that I should help you with the snow instead of getting in the sleigh right away. We're going to need a lot of it and four hands are better than two.”

In truth, she would rather sit in the sleigh than risk another fall but they only had five minutes to pack snow in the sleigh. “Shall we?” she asked, scooping up a large handful and depositing it inside. She could start forming it into snowballs as the race was about to begin. Quantity was more important than quality at the moment.

Charles, bidding farewell to Caroline, Francis, and Anne-Elisabeth.

"Nor do I," he told Francis of his partner, shrugging. "But I suppose I had best go find out. You will all forgive me, I trust, if I do not wish you luck." He laughed and moved off.

and seeking out Cordelia

His plan to find his partner was immediately stymied by the fact that he had absolutely no idea what she looked like. Fortunately, this minor problem was almost immediately rendered moot, as she found him. He nodded his head in greeting, hiding a grin at Nicolette's joke at his expense.

Am I being punished for something Mademoiselle?

"I should hope we give them a run, for I'm hardly pretty enough for show," he said lightly, straightening and returning her smile. Taking in her upright posture and frank gaze, Charles decided he liked her.

"Shall we select our chariot before the best teams are taken?" he asked. Charles did not know what made a good sled horse, and further suspected that the snow would render things even more random, but that was no reason to be laggardly. He offered Cordelia his arm.

An idle thought struck him, a recollection of where he had heard the name Lady Lucas before.

"Am I correct in thinking that you know my stepmother?

Cordelia and Charles

His appraisal was just as frank and she was thankful.

"Well I can think of no reason why we can not provide a good showing - the 'competition' is hardly Gladitorial after all and I suspect most will have no real knowledge of how a sled is used. Do you?"

She accepted his offered arm then continued her discourse as they walked.

"Best to go for the horses at once. One is sufficient. The ground is firm and as no new snow has fallen will be easy enough. That one there -" pointing to a large dark brown horse that was clearly more at home in a field that where it now found itself. "Strong body and legs fit to pull carts or a wagon. You must keep a tight hold. Can you manage?"

This in reference to his handicap of one eye.

"I do indeed. We are 'neighboors' of sorts at St. Marks. She will, I think, be determined to pull ahead. Let us not worry about snowballs but focus on finishing strongly - everyone else will be target hunting!"

ooc: Sorry, I got lost in all this.

"Ha! Well, it seems we are so slow that we are to be paired together," Francis said to Caroline as their grouping joined the others who were gathered around Nicolette.

"I am certainly not slow, I cannot speak for you, my lord," Caroline patted the man's cheek as she smiled.

"Do expect a bumpy ride, and I expect some good on-target hits. Unless, of course, you wish to drive and I shall pelt these poor souls with snowballs?"

"Drive? I do not know how to drive one of these things. You are the captain of a fine sailing ship, you can certainly handle a mere sled. Besides I dearly wish to throw snowballs," Caroline dearly wanted to hit certain people in this race. Especially one though it did seem like he was scurrying away with his tail between his legs.

The pair then scrambled onto their sled. The game was on!

Get Ready

Toledos

"I think we win if we can," Esteban answered her query. "We are more apt to be remembered for winning the race than for forfeiting it." His was happy that his wife was in a good mood. It would make matters more entertaining.

"I should have brought a flag," the Baron laughed as she claimed the sled. He helped her board.

Ann and Ogle

"Good, because I expect it to be rough." Whether he was oblivious to the innuendo or not, he seemed to busy himself with snowballs. "You there," he called to the groom. "Be a good fellow and help us load up." The groom at their sleigh was only too happy to assist.

"Unstoppable," he repeated as they finished their load and then he helped her in the sleigh.

Beverley, Peggy and Mary

"I am so sorry husband," Mary apologized as she moved up to join her husband. "It was all my fault" Peggy defended. "I had an issue with my wardrobe and your wife was a godsend."

"Are we too late to join?" Mary asked her husband. "Maybe I could ride with you too," Peg offered, not sure of the rules. She looked about as sleighs were being filled with snowballs. "Should we be making snowballs?"

Davina Joined by George and Peregrine

"Miss Wellsley," Peregrine purred as he approached. He acted as if the two knew each other well. They had been introduced in the past but had not spent much time in each other's company. "Don't tell me you are sitting this one out. You are far too lovely for that," he flattered.

"Come, there is a sleigh open. Let's seize it, the three of us and have some fun," George insisted. "Don't worry, I have had experience driving these silly things." There was indeed an open sleigh nearby.

Killigrew

It was becoming obvious that things were not moving smoothly. People were slow to join and late arrivals seemed ready to breach the race protocols.

"Everyone racing is making a contribution to the Queen's charity," he reminded everyone aloud. "Two per sleigh," he insisted, though pausing to see if Nicolette would override that limitation.

OOC~ Each of you can assume that a servant assists in getting at least 24 snowballs in each sleigh. Those that helped packing can have 36 snowballs.

Each of you can have one more post and then the race will start. Driving a sleigh is a dangerous thing. Few gentlemen are well-versed in the art, preferring that the lower classes handle the conveyances. As such, the speeds are likely to be slow since no one wants to flip a sleigh or run into a tree. Fortunately, the course is a straight away and flat.

Davina Joined By Two Gentlemen

Her name being called out made her turn round and she was met by the advancing figures of George Churchill and Peregrine Osborne both looking well preserved for such an hour.

"Well Well. Mr. Osborne and Mr. Churchill what I wonder has made you both appear? You flatter me Sir yet find me on the retreat. I am not made for such persuits as Misrule and Killigrew seem to believe."

"I fancy not an injury and besides tis far too cold. You two should take the Field! Why there is indeed one open ...."

While she was talking she had slowly began to walk which ment that they had to follow and within a few moments were next to said sleigh.

"In you go Gentlemen! You!" She called out to a loitering servant in a voice that would take no rebuffing. "See to them rightly and I suppose collect snow?"

She smiled at the two most charmingly her cheeks pink and eyes sparkling.

"I shall cheer you both on naturally!"

get in will you! I have no intention of riding anything with either of you so do not think I will be swayed!

• 1 month later...

This was where Beverley was honestly at his worst. Social situations where the right response was ambiguous. He had little idea what to say about whether or not they had time to join in. His Majesty and Misrule had expressed conflicting sentiments, and he had little idea whom anyone expected his partner to be. 

"Do not worry yourselves," he replied. No gentleman would blame a lady. 

"They are packing snowballs yet, I think. Perhaps if we are quick we can still join," he said to his wife. 

"There are only supposed to be two according to Misrules..." He bit his lip for a moment as Killigrew bellowed about the donation part of it. "Why do you not bring him the donation, my lady, for it is for the Queen's charities." It would be good for purposes of the attention they were attempting to garner of the Queen. 

He whispered to Peg earnestly, "I should love to race with three, but, erm, I do not wish to cause any talk if you recall the rumors after Brighton..." His master hated gossip, and Beverley had been very good at avoiding making himself or his master a part of any. Brighton had been enough. His illness had been turned into something else altogether, even if both Rupert and his father had found it laughable. Another rumor about he and Mrs. Hughes would not be smart. "Perhaps we may, erm, yet find you a proper partner?" he said, in his normal voice, following behind Mary & moving closer to the sleds.

Surely the King was not truly going to sit out? Then again Misrule did have an allure!

Francis' guffaw probably sounded a good deal similar to Buckingham's only  a little less baritone.

"Being such an incomparable admiral is precisely why I have not the first clue what I am doing on the land, my lady. I do hope you know some prayers, for we may be in need. I do not think I have ever driven a cart, carriage, or sleigh." 

They scurried to a sled and he eagerly started making some more snowballs. He made sure they would be of good size for the hands of a lady. 

"You are going to need plenty of these because I shan't be able to steer you closer," he explained, piling some up before they had to jump in the sleigh to get ready for the start.

The Toledos

“Then we shall try our best to win. Remember that snow is slippery and if you start out too fast, the horses might run off the road. Let them get the feel for the terrain and then we can speed up.” This advice came from a book that Sophia had read which had included a detailed description of a carriage race.

Esteban laughed when she claimed the sled in the name of Spain. He did seem in excellent spirits today, which was a pleasant change from his usual solemnity. “Yes, you should have.” Actually, she thought that attaching a Spanish flag to their sleigh would have been a bit much, but she didn't want to ruin his good mood by disagreeing with him.

Sophia helped to pile snowballs in the sleigh until their time was up and then she climbed in with Esteban's assistance, immediately beginning to form snowballs from the loose snow that she had collected.

Anne-Elisabeth and Ogle

So much for a witty exchange with this one, Anne-Elizabeth thought. She was a bit disappointed that he seemed so prosaic, but maybe he was nervous about driving a sleigh and he would lighten up once the race was over. Or maybe he preferred to be the seducer. Like all women, the Countess liked being chased. Since he had not responded in kind, she would no longer make suggestive comments. If there was to be any flirtation between them, he would have to initiate it.

Lord Ogle elicited the help of a groom, and the three of them piled snowballs in the sleigh until they were told to stop. “Absolutely,” she replied as she took his hand and let him assist her into the sleigh. She settled beside the snowballs, ready to begin lobbing them at their opponents when the race began. “I believe that you and I are going to make an excellent team.”

• 2 weeks later...

Cordelia and Charles

"Absolutely none," Charles admitted cheerfully, "But I am a swift learner, and, as you say, I doubt anyone else has much more."

Nodding along with Cordelia's conclusions, Charles ran a considering eye over her chosen horse. In truth, Charles was no great judge of horseflesh, and still less so when it came to choosing one to pull a sled, but he felt he had to be seen to at least make a token effort. He assessed the beast's shoulders and back and the alignment of its hooves, accepted that he had no idea what he was doing, and then stepped in to see if he could fit his fist in the joint between the horse's leg and its trunk. (He had some notion that that was important, though he could not for the life of him remember why, or where he had heard such a thing.)

"He'll serve," he concluded his bluff aloud, and then grinned thinly at Cordelia's question. "Oh, I'll manage well enough. I've learned to compensate."

Glancing at the course, a thought occurred to Charles. It was a short run, and he fancied that a quick start could be considerably more than half the battle.

With that in mind...

Swiftly, Charles stooped to begin clearing snow away from the runners of their chosen conveyance and from the hooves that would provide its motive force. The firmer their grounding, the faster they would get underway. A minor edge, perhaps, but Charles lived by a philosophy of taking every possible advantage.

"She will be aiming to win," he agreed as he worked. "I fear she has come to find life on the estate... confining. It will do her good to expand her social horizons."

Cordelia and Charles

It was as she had suspected and he knew little of horseflesh beyond the rudimentary. But she said nothing only continued to watch nodding from time to time to indicate her agreement.

"Ah yes 'compensation'. Well we all have done it and for those of my sex tis a Lifetimes Work but no matter. You mean to run him from the start I take it - i gather as much by your endeavors and I concur."

"Everyone is too busy piling up their own missiles to notice what you are doing and if any were to it would be dismised as simply working the horse."

"I thought as much. You two are alike in that I think and you will find I am as well. I dislike the idea of losing. In anything. So. Lord Chatham let us be soto voiced about any plans and I shall, for the sake of it, even gather up some snow."

Here she knelt and gathered up some in her gloved hands mixing until a ball was formed and then she did another then stood holding them up.

"Two will work quite well. Three would be an indication that I held that part ahead of the actual winning."

"Help me up then and you need to find the best placement. Is it better do you think for you to reamin seated as well or to stand?"

She took hold of her skirts uncaring if boots were seen and waited for him to take her arm and see her into the sleigh.

So it was that the teams gathered.  Audley and Lady Lucas packed the snow under the treads while others packed snows into balls.

The Toledos were ready, a plan to win for Spain at the forefront of their mind.

Lord Ogle was intent on winning too.  As the servants loaded the back with snowballs, Henry surveyed the other drivers in the race.  "A good team yes.  I should be able to defeat this rabble."

Davina had made a mistake in her insistence and her proximity to the sled.  With a wink to each other, George Churchill grabbed Davina by the waist and hoisted her.  Peregrine moved to take her legs and skirt so that she could not resist overly.  "You, my lady, are going to cheer for us within the sled.  Come let's have some fun."  Upon depositing the slight figure of Davina, George moved to do the driving while Peregrine sat very close to Davina.  "I'll keep you warm."  His real mission was to see to it that she did not flee.  "Some snowballs here!" the son of the Lord Treasurer commanded.  Servants placed a dozen beside Davina.  "Only throw those at the enemy," Peregrine warned with a playful warning.

The other sleighs began to fill.

"Go ahead with Mary then," Peg replied to Robert with a puffed lower lip.  "You are the only proper fellow that will race with me.  Perhaps I can throw snowballs from the gallery."

Killigrew beckoned Nicolette to take the kerchief and drop it at the appointed moment.  All was in readiness.  It was for the Mistress of Misrule to start the race or address any remaining issues prior to that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Caroline followed her partner in this soon to be begin game, eager to have some fun. Chucking snowballs at people was hardly something she was experienced in, she last remembered doing such a thing as a child but still she fancied herself to have a reasonably decent arm. Kneeling in the snow she helped the man hastily pack together more snowballs.

"You know....as a mere slip of a girl at twelve, I once participated in a snowball war over snow forts," she grinned as she worked, "There was one particular boy who always annoyed me so I slipped a stone into one special snowball with the diabolical plan of doing him some hopeful injury. I missed my throw though."

"Do not fret, my Admiral, I am much more mature now," she assured him and then they quickly loaded up the sled with their 'ammo' before clambering into it.

She braced herself for the start and gazed around to size up the competition. Ahhh, so many targets. This was going to be fun!

Edited by Caroline Despanay

Davina George And Peregrine

Any reply was muffled as she was quickly scooped up and then literally held bodily by Peregrine so she could not make any motion to flee whilst George assumed the stance of Driver. Then having a dozen balls of snow deposited onto her skirt coupled with a warning to only throw at "The enemy" roused her and she pushed the man at her side away ineffectual as it was her manner clearly stating her mood.

"You are Bold indeed Osborne to play about with my person.  Remove your leg off my skirts this instant and if you do not I shall make quite the Show."

"And YOU Churchill what are you thinking. Well that is useless as tis evident neither of you are!"

She turned back to Osborne and with a smile that never reached the chill in her blue eyes said

"Why what a good idea - I shall then aim with remarkable talent straight at them."

She fully intended to make use of those twelve balls of snow and twas to be hoped that some large stone be found it at least one of them!

The King & Nicolette - On Marks/Get set/Go

Nicolette bit her lip at CR's naughty aside, while she took up his offered hankerchief - drawing it between finger tips.  "This petite veil of yours.  Reminds me of a dance we talked of last summer, a dance of seven."  For a moment she fancied that the King of England, Scotland, Ireland and France might perform the dance fo seven veils for her. What scrap of silk might be next - his cravat?

There was still a muddle going around about with people swapping about and some seeming to not have partners, then others that seemed to have too many.  Perhaps Nicci should have acted more interested in sorting out all that, but she was not even interested in others little lives.  Fortunately Killigrew was though, worth is weight in gold he was.  

"It would be so much easier to dance if it was a little warmer though..." Nicci crooned as she nestled up close to the Kings arm, "I dread think how my chilly fingers might possibly work the royal pistol." she batted her lashes with faux innocence.  Her eyes dancing with the all too rare racy talk even as she lifted the hankerchief higher. 

Afterall poor old Killigrew and half of court were all waiting for the race to start.  

"On marks, get set..." and she let go of the fabric which wafted to the trampled slurry at their feet.  "Go!" 

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin
spelling

Davina And Company With Lady Chatham Joining 

Mary Chatham's inner elation was stalled as the gentleman discovered an excuse, a need to take the youngling with him away. She'd not have protested, but the Queens lady in waiting did not feel so restrained.  Mary's eyebrow rose as Davina properly scolded the Earl for his choice before Davina whisked herself off.

"Oh my." Mary looked to the youngster as she said that, though her comment was rather more about Davina's outburst. 

"No I am fine." Frances was trying to say - words that were unfortunately far too late.  She wished Davina had stayed. She really wished she'd stayed. Wished it because something was definitely wrong.  

Lady Chatham gave a small smile to the Earl.  Not sure if they were going or staying she suggested,  "I think it is too late to join one of the sleighs now, though we might perhaps prepare a 21 snowball salute for the winners."  Surely a hail of snowballs was the most appropriate way for this sort of race to end.  

"One has to be very careful with the royal pistol," the King admonished playfully.

And they were off ...

Audley and Lady Lucas took an early lead off the start, followed by an intent Lord Ogle and Countess Cambray.  The Toledos were right behind, alongside Caroline and Francis.

The trio of Osbourne, Churchill and Wellsley got a late start, as did the Beverleys.

Churchill was laughing wildly at the success of their kidnapping.  Peregrine removed his hands from Davina's person, albeit reluctantly.  "Come now it is New Year and a time for merriment Miss Wellsley.  Don't be a stiff corset.  Let's have some fun," he urged as he reached for a snowball.  "Each time you score a hit I'll give you a kiss."  Whether that was a threat or an enticement, only Davina could say for sure. 

Now Frances was claiming to be fine.  What was it with her?  Charles, as usual was mystified.  He was put in an awkward position with Lady Chatham.

"I suppose we should stay to the end of the race," he agreed.  that would be but a few minutes.  Was that Davina in a sleigh with two men?

"Let us head towards the finish line."  He offered to escort Lady Chatham and Frances in that direction.  The only one he wanted to pelt with a snowball would be that French shrew.

Anne-Elisabeth braced herself against the side of the sleigh as it lurched into motion, a sense of elation spiraling through her. “Faster!” she urged her handsome partner, “but don't wear out the horses too quickly!” She would not begin to toss her snowballs until they came up beside one of the sleighs, and then she would pummel the other 'gunner,' trying to put her on the defensive so that she wouldn't hit Lord Ogle and take his concentration away from driving the sleigh.

While some people might hesitate before blasting an older woman with a volley of ice, the Countess had no such qualms and she would bombard Lady Lucas if they caught up with the leading sleigh. Occasionally, she would also throw snowballs at Lord Chatham, hoping to make him falter and lose control. Ambitious and competitive, she was determined to do everything in her power to secure the victory, not as much for the prize as for the satisfaction of winning.

Sophia had ridden in a sleigh with Lord Arundel last week, and while the ride had been just as exhilarating, it not been nearly as bumpy. Luckily, the young blonde had excellent balance and a strong stomach. Esteban was a better driver than she had expected, and she had no trouble keeping her seat. Lord Kingston and Lady Kendishall were right beside them, and she began to lob her snowballs at Caroline, avoiding Francis so that he would not run off the path. She would never forgive herself if one of her friends was injured because of her.

She grinned at her opponent, remembering how sarcastic she had been to her lately, but bearing no ill will toward her. However, if Caroline was still angry at her, this would be the perfect time to get her revenge and maybe her animosity would be washed away in a flurry of snowballs and they could resume the budding friendship that they had once enjoyed.

If Charles was embarassed right now... he need hold onto his braces for it was about to get worse! 

"An excellent idea." Mary Audley replied, a genial smile on her face as she happily accepted this change in plans and broken into cheery banter. "Have you a favorite to win the race Lord Langdon, do you fancy a wager. Unless, oh dont tell me that making bets at events like these is no longer fashionable at court."  

The trio was intent to head to the finish line.

Except.

Except Frances became utterly rigid - a silent scream on her lips as her face lost it's colour.  There on the ground were she'd stood was spots of blood.  Something was definately wrong with her. What is happening?!  

Nicolette & CR 

As the sleds all rushed off (when they finally all rushed off) then Nicolette had the King of England preactically all to herself - at last!  Now, what were they to do? 

"We need a better viewing point - in which to view the sport."  Nicci was nearly never stumped for an idea for a fun thing to try, and having looked around the location had instantly settled on this. 

Thomas Killigrew was signing up each entrant, seated at a wooden table and chair underneath an oak tree. It was a sunny but cold afternoon.

Looking up into the branches of the grand old tree Nicolette asked, "Shall you go first or shall I?"