Your Stories Await Telling

Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cordelia and Mary - addressed by HRH

It was to her credit that her reverance was one smooth motion and she was able to withstand her first reaction of wanting to halt half way down in surprise. It would seem that lady Chatham was unable to speak and so now that also was turned upon her.

Very well.

"I am Honored indeed Your Majesty and should be most happy to oblige. I fear however that my first inclination was an unwillingness to participate simply on the grounds of AGE."

Here she smiled at him to show that she teased then continued

"That and the thought of a tumble naturally. Your hearing is indeed most excellent and so Lady Chatham and I shall sail forth in said chariot with determination and shall Represent Your Majesty as commanded! Is that not right?"

Here she addressed her fellow companion who had no choice but to agree as well.

Now it was a debatable point that The King had actually 'deputisied' them to participate in His place yet what a windfall for them both! She would say as much to Lady Chatham and add further the advantages that might now arise from this.

Cordelia's eyes narrowed a bit as she looked over the competition wondering just how partners were to be selected - would she and Lady Chatham ride together - no. Killigrew and Misrule had a plan she was sure and it would be one to cause embarrassments.

The idea that SHE might fall prey to such a thing only made her resolve to outwit them greater. If 'they' thought Lady Lucas would be an easy mark she would show just how wrong it was to assume.

(OOC - I am horrible, so sorry. I fail!)

"He surely does not disappoint with poetry battles," Francis conceded.

He was about to answer where he had found his orange brandy when Lord Chatham arrived.

"Chatham! Could not resist the sport, I see. What is your experience with the snow? Lady Cambray is most unfamiliar with ice and snow; I told her that much of London was as well." He chuckled some and then added to Anne-Elizabeth, "Lord Chatham made his appearance earlier this year."

He knew that Chatham already knew Caroline, and she had seemed a bit distracted.

They neared the group queuing up around Nicolette. He needed firmer ground so that he could pass his flask around!

Charles, Caroline, Francis, and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth waited expectantly for Lord Kingston's answer, almost as curious about where he had gotten his brandy as she was in searching for it. Yet another gentleman with a brilliant blue eye approached then, the patch over his other one giving him a roguishly handsome look. Had he lost his eye or was the patch meant to be a fashion statement? If the latter, it was certainly serving its purpose.

He seemed to be well-acquainted with Lord Kingston and Lady Kendishall and she wondered if he was as libertine as his friends. Caroline inquired as to whether he was entering the sled race and Francis asked about his experience with snow, subtly introducing Anne-Elisabeth in the process and revealing that Lord Chatham was also a relative newcomer to court.

“I'm enthralled to meet you, Lord Chatham,” she said, a smile turning up the corners of her full lips. If she had not been afraid of slipping again, she would have held up her hand to be kissed. “What Lord Kingston says is true. I come from Barbados and this is my first experience with snow.” His complexion was dark enough that he could be from Spain or Italy, or perhaps he had spent enough time in the Caribbean that he had acquired a tan. “Are you accustomed to heat's sultry caress as well?”

Charles, Caroline, Francis, and Anne-Elisabeth

Charles laughed.

"I must confess, Lady Kendishall, that I had quite forgotten about the sleigh race until I saw the gathering. It is only merest chance that I am here at all. But Kingston has the right of it. Like an old warhorse at the sound of trumpets, having caught the note of competition I cannot resist its allure."

Unconsciously, Charles brushed a finger off his eye patch as Francis asked after his experience with snow. Turckheim had been fought in the snow, which had been a rather unpleasant novelty even before he'd lost the eye.

Two years ago this Wednesday, by God. I shall have to mark the occasion.

"I have some small experience with such conditions," he replied, looking about him before continuing drily, "though I must admit that the lack of cannonfire and cuirassiers renders them much more pleasant."

He switched his attention to Anne-Elisabeth as Francis seamlessly introduced her. A fellow voluptuary, he thought, taking in her sensual, full-lipped mouth, and those bright eyes that made him think of honey.

And her words seem to confirm my suppositions. 'Sultry caress,' indeed!

"No less than I am by you, Lady Cambray," he offered. "But Barbados, you say? A truly beautiful part of the world, though now rendered much the lesser. Still, their loss is the court's gain." He grinned. "But to answer your question, I have spent some little time in the Carib, and rather more time in Tangiers than any one man should have to. The heat is an old friend."

He glanced about the gathering crowd.

"If I might offer a little advice for the snow, small steps, and take care to keep your weight directly above your feet."

Davina, Charles, Frances, and Sophia

Davina, now well primed with the back story from Charles the night before, saw the smile and also what lay behind it - rebellion. Her own smile never wavered as Frances inched a bit closed to her person.

Was there something between Lady Toledo and the girl as well?

Davina had a good idea as to the direction of what his 'ward' was thinking and now that she better understood how Charles had not handled the whole matter she would be ready for anything that might happen. She did as bid and cursied as they all had with Davina whispering the exact moment for it to happen pleased that Frances had at least THIS SKILL.

"Have you seen His Majesty afore Frances?" Davina inquired once they had risen. "You must not have had many chances before now I shouldn't think. I am one of the Queen's Maids of Honor and as such know many at Court .... ShalI I point some out to you if you have an interest?"

"Well Lord Langdon? Shall I act as your 'Deputy' then and see to Frances?" She called across to him. "I plan to wander a bit but have that place in mind -"

She pointed to the place where many had already gathered to watch and the outcropping of stones that formed a natural' seating area. There was no real 'open space' if Frances should try to make a run.

"I am sure Frances is full of curiosities and if I should need anything I have but to call for a Gentlemen Pensioner for assistance." She looked down at Frances adding "They are part of the King's retinue and help to guard him along with the Gentlemen He has brought."

"So you need not be afraid Frances! I shall keep you close at hand as all of this is a newness for you."

Beverley never recalled even placing his lady wife's name in the hat yet, or his own. He had only just learned what was going on at all. Some surprise showed in his honey-brown eyes, followed by a moment of blinking confusion, and finally the court training to do the best with it he could.

Only last moment, it was hard to come up with anything entertaining to say! Beverley was no wordsmith. He especially was no wordsmith in the hearing range of the King!

"An honour," he replied, with a smile and a nod.

He took the paper from Nicci without looking at it, assuming the role like one well-practiced at being handed things.

"If my lady wife does not arrive in time, shall I need to name a replacement?" he innocently asked of the Mistress of Misrule. For once, he was being faux-innocent. He did understand some court games even if he was not good at them. He was clueless as to her intentions but somewhat willing to be a part of the amusement. It was his duty to obey the Mistress of Misrule was it not?

As for Ogle, ironically Beverley was having similar thoughts to Killigrew, wishing one of the ladies on Ogle the moment the King commanded them to race. As for older ladies, they bothered him not, for his lady mother was in her early sixties.

Nicolette held a private breath, while outwardly she was all smiles. Would Beverly, out of no ill intent (for surely ill intent was beyond that innocent gaze of his) mess it up with adherence to the actual name on slip of paper?!

But the paper was passed away with nary a look, with discreet manner that was professional and almost business like. Nicolette's smile grew greater, never did she think she'd celebrate the Duke of Cumberland’s good training - but it was surely Beverly's official position that was to thank for his manner today!

"Oh my." Nicolette looked directly at Beverly then. Was he quite as innocent as he appeared, for his reply was so perfect. And come to think of it, Nicolette had not seen Lady Beverley here today. "It may indeed come to that my lord." She could have kissed him right then. Promised herself (again) that one day she would.

Yet the crowds awaited, she could keep them from the readied sleighs no longer. Lifting her voice she resumed her self appointed pairing task.

It was her best friend she would attend to next...

Caroline & Francis (she entrusted her lover with her best friend)

Anne Elizabeth & Oogle (not quite a duke the lady has asked for, but one day)

Sophia & Beverly (a bright spirited lady to entertain her marvellous ally)

Cordelia & Chatham (a mismatch to be certain, not a match at all. She was reserving him for herself still one day.)

Mary Audley & Langdon

Davina & Toledo

Duncan & Fiona

Douglas & Aylce

... When all was done Nicolette felt quite pleased, these matches were surely better than if they had tried to manage them themselves. In fact, she thought she had a penchant for this sort of thing. Though none of that smugness would exist if she did not think she'd reserved the King for herself!

And so while the pairings found each other, Nicolette remained a last competitor unmatched. With Lady Beverly still nowhere to be seen, Nicolette was placed at the gentlemen’s mercy. Batting her lashes she looked between Beverly and the English King.

Life did not get much better.

Sophia, Davina, Charles and Frances

Confident that Davina knew what she was doing with Frances, Charles relented. He had thought to return home with Frances straight away when she tried to excuse herself to the French shrew. Yet, he supposed he would give Davina an opportunity to teach Frances something about being a lady. "Very well, yet I shall be nearby."

His plan was to give chase if Frances bolted. He was certain he could outrun a girl in heavy skirts in the snow. There was also a warning that he would be nearby. She was smart enough to know that he could catch her. Perhaps that would restrain her. Already he was formulating excuses to provide to the King and others if he ended up chasing her. he hoped to make it seem like a game.

It seemed as though the race was ready to start. Charles had planned to enroll with Frances but he had been distracted by her elusive remarks. He could only hope that Davina had not registered for the race, otherwise he would need to reclaim Frances from her.

OOC~ Neither Charles or Davina signed up with Killigrew, I think, so you may have to remove the two of them from the pairings.

The servants moved the sleds into position for the race. Killigrew oversaw the arrangements. With no sign of Lady Beverley, the Master of Revels noted aloud to the King "shall we await the race for Lady Beverley?"

The King was trying to analyze the pairings that Nicolette had made, though his attitude seemed carefree. "I suppose that I shall stay out of the race then and await your wife Lord Beverley," he offered gallantly. "The race should not wait." It did not elude him that Nicci had named a pairing with someone not there and unlikely to have registered at all.

"I note that Mademoiselle Vauquelin is not paired for this race, which is unacceptable. Perhaps you shall ride with her Lord Beverley," the King suggested, suspecting that he had played his cards correctly, judging what Beverley might say about who should await his wife.

Ogle was glad not to have been matched with an old woman. He did not know Anne. Although she was no beauty, she would pleasant-looking. He motioned for her to come join him as he stood next to a sleigh he planned to claim.

Beverley was somewhat mortified that he would (somehow) be responsible for His Majesty sitting out the race.

That was equally unforgivable.

Nobody wanted to be between His Majesty and fun; that was a sure end to any good court career.

Beverley's stun, which was clear from the long pause before he came up with an actual response, probably indicated he hadn't been in on any plan. In the end logic won his mind.

"I could not partner Mademoiselle Vauquelin when she has already paired me with Lady Toledo, erm, so it is clear Your Majesty should partner our Mistress of Misrule. If any shall sit out the r-race, it shall be me or I would make a very poor husband. I could not sit with another lady when mine is missing," he declared.

Nicolette's voice pierced the air, announcing the pairings for the race. Although Sophia would love the chance to rekindle her (purely platonic) friendship with Lord Beverley, she didn't think that Esteban would agree to being partnered with a woman who was not his wife, especially an unmarried lady-in-waiting to the Queen. And she knew that Davina wanted to watch with Frances and had no desire to race at all.

“Come, Mistress Wellsley,” she said. “Let's makes our preferences known.”

Not waiting to see if her friend followed, Sophia curtsied to Lord Langdon and strolled toward the group gathered around Nicolette. She heard the King suggest that Lord Beverley race with the Frenchwoman, but the adorable Viscount refused. Suddenly everything fell into place. She could race with Esteban and Davina could stay with Frances.

She dropped a perfect curtsy as she approached the King. "Your Majesty, Lady Misrule, will the two of you allow me to race with my lord husband since my designated partner would rather watch?” She smiled at Lord Beverley, letting him know that she wasn't angry with him for not wanting to be paired with her.

Even if Davina had not followed her, she spoke loudly enough that she would be able to hear and vocalize her own intentions if she chose.

Lowering her voice to a whisper meant for only the King and Nicolette, she added. “I had to plead with him to get him here and I think he will change his mind about participating if he is not partnered with me.”

She was hoping that the King would relish the notion of watching Spain lose. He would know that neither she nor Esteban were accustomed to snow and had probably had no experience whatsoever with sleighs.

Edited by Guest

Davina and Company

Charles gave his leave and she smiled across to him pleased that he had done such. Yet she held no delusions that Frances would try to bolt for is was writ all over her young face and Davina intended to relax the leash just enough but still be in control.

She turned surprised as she heard her name paired with Lord Toledo's - who had used her name without consent? Beverely? If so he would not find her appreciative!

Sophia then stated her own intentions and so with a firm grip on the younger girls hand she followed close behind and she too would add her own voice and cry off.

Lady Misrule was obviously thinking to make mischief and whilst that was the purpose Davina knew, that at least between the two of them, twas personal.

Davina and Company

Her ward finally agreed - and Frances smile was the relieved kind! Even if she did not escape she at last had a respite from his oppressive dominion (her perspective). "Thank you Lord Langdon." she thought to speak, before moving with Davina. "No I've not met Her Majesty." yes things were looking up.

A secondary idea in her mind was that if she behaved well he might start to loosen his guard again. The idea of returning to her room to be locked in was very unappealing to her.

Expecting to go off to the side-lines with her new keeper, the keepers name was called to the sleighs. This surprised Davina and Frances both. And who was Lord Toledo? Frances kept to Davina's side, for whatever they ended up doing she was content to be away from Charles critical eye.

The King

There was mischief afoot. Fortunately, Beverley played along as he was led. Good lad. the last thing he wanted to do was wait on Lady Beverley and miss the race. He was still attempting to discern Nicolette's grand scheme. Did it lie under multiple layers of deception, or might her actions merely be random?

"We would not wish to keep you from your wife's side my lord," the King replied to the young lord. "Ah yes, Lady Toledo." If Beverley sat out the race, his partner was Lady Toledo. She was certainly pleasing to look at, though buried beneath layers of fur. How would it look to be seen openly with the Spanish Ambassador's wife? He assumed it would be easy enough to explain, except to his own wife, who was becoming more emotional about his own wandering eye ... and other body parts.

Surprised that Nicolette did not steer herself into his invitation, the King observed Sophia move towards him. Did she know she was paired with him? Had she arranged this with the Lady of Misrule? If so, it would be most disappointing.

Then, Lady Toledo explained that she wished to be paired with her husband. How boring, but Spaniards were like that in formal occasions. The Ambassador was to be paired with Miss Wellsley. The dark haired maid had seemed especially friendly to the King; but then, many were. If Nicolette was playing a game, then he could do so too. The Merry Monarch relished being underestimated in that regard.

"Lady Toledo, far be it for me to refuse a request from a charming lady." He made it appar that he was ready to grant the request, but he paused.

"I fear I am the ruler of England and the Three Kingdoms; but, in social events during the twelve days, I am outranked by the Lady of Misrule. We were just discussing her own sleigh and Lady Beverley." He turned to look at the French lady with amused eyes. "My lady, I suppose you could grant Lady Toledo's request, and I suppose that means that Lady Wellsley will ride with me instead." He was not even sure the girl had enrolled. Killigrew was trying to look innocent, meaning there was a game afoot.

"Lady Misrule?" the King inquired. Your move. At this point, he was content to see this playout however it might.

It was a merry mess, and Nicolette laughed at the ensuing confusion. The serious looks on peoples faces seemed so funny to her, it was almost as though everyone had lost their sense of humor! But CR had not, she could tell by the glint in his eyes that he also thought the confusion amusing. Amusing in that 'it does not matter because I shall get what I want' sort of way, just like Nicci.

Nicci winked to the King.

"Well you might be right, Lady Toledo's wishes must be differed to, we all know how seriously her husband might take it if not. What if she is compelled to burst into song mid race? Lord Beverly might be confronted with her heaving breast! And if Lord Toledo did see that... oh my, we shall be attending a duel tomorrow morning rather than church!"

It baffled Nicci why Sophia wanted to spend time with her husband, just a few days ago she'd been lamenting of how unappreciative of her he was. Here was a chance to make him jealous, but perhaps Sophia was reformed, and desired nothing other than to be a biddable wife? Not likely!

"Yet I would hate to consign Lord Beverly to the benches in that case. Perhaps the answer is for him to ride Davina. Oh, I mean ride in a carriage with Davina of course." She was laughing brightly. It was sad though really, that the darling doe eyed man would be stuck with such a boring sort. Cest la vie

Meanwhile Nicci had been wanting, desperately so even, for the King to declare he'd be matched with her. But he was playing the game still, so did not. And she. Well she was playing the game still also.

"Be not drab of not competing Your Royal Majesty, for I find myself also upon the side lines and the prospect thrills me utterly. I am sure that I can happily entertain you also while the others run the course." said she with a peppy grin.

Francis, Chatham, Caroline, & Anne-Eliz

"Ha! Well, it seems we are so slow that we are to be paired together," Francis said to Caroline as their grouping joined the others who were gathered around Nicolette.

"Do expect a bumpy ride, and I expect some good on-target hits. Unless, of course, you wish to drive and I shall pelt these poor souls with snowballs?"

As to the new lady, he said, "Ogle is the heir to a duke." Then he whispered, "Boys do always seem so awkward, though." Ogle was no man of the world. SHe might have found his father more attractive.

Chatham, of course, earned a, "Who was that you are paired with? I am not sure I know the lady." Chatham might not either considering he was new to court.

Davina and Company

Langdon said aloud what Davina might be thinking. "I did not yet enroll. It is impossible," he mumbled. He looked confused. "I will only ride with Frances," he uttered, but would be happy to ride with his sweetheart Davina as well.

"Shall we resist?" he asked the two females in his company. "Or, shall I see Killigrew about changing the rolls to allow Frances and me to race?" The problem was that the King was within earshot of Killigrew and if Frances caused trouble it would look bad to the King. "Maybe we should stand our ground and watch. I'm sorry Frances, I should have enrolled us sooner." He was oblivious to Nicolette's tampering with the pairing.

Esteban, where art thou?

Sophia had no idea that she was to be paired with the King when Lord Beverley said he would rather not race at all. She would have been exceedingly disappointed if that had been the case. It would be no fun at all to race with the monarch. Nobody would dare to throw snowballs at him and they would let him win. She wanted more of a challenge than that.

He was certainly amiable, though she didn't find him as alluring as some other gentlemen she knew. And he couldn't hold a candle, in either looks or appeal, to her beloved Juan. She favored him with a winsome grin when he called her charming. The diminutive blonde still hoped that he fancied her and saw her as the lady that he desired but could never have. Such were the daydreams of a highly imaginative teenage girl.

He even spoke up for her, asking that her wish be granted by the Lady of Misrule. Sophia turned to Nicolette, chuckling at the picture she painted of her suddenly bursting into song and Lord Beverley staring at her heaving bosom. She was probably right about Esteban challenging him to a duel.

Her ice-blue eyes spun to the King, wondering if he remembered their conversation last night when she had claimed her heart was breaking because she couldn't ring in the new year with a song. Lord Grandison had done a marvelous job of mending it.

Her entire countenance brightened when Nicolette agreed to let her race with Esteban. “Thank you, Your Majesty, my Lady of Misrule,” she exclaimed, bobbing a curtsy to each of them. “I will go to him now.”

She pranced off happily, her hips swinging in their naturally seductive manner, not waiting to hear the rest of the conversation. Where was her husband anyway? Had he already claimed their sleigh? There was something she wanted to tell him before the race began.

Davina and Company

It was then that Lord Langdon finally found his voice declaring that he had yet to 'enroll' and that he'd take only Frances - which might raise a brow or two! He'd partner with a young girl and NOT one of the assembled Beauties? What was amiss ...

Davina looked across to him her blue eyes a shade darker which was a clear signal of her annoyance/aggitation. For a Military Man he was sometimes lacking in intelligence!

"That is hardly the point now - resistance I mean. Misrule is at play and Killigrew her convert. Did you not hear the 'pairings'? She had put opposites together in hopes of Drama and now The King Himself enters the Stage!"

"Splendor of God!" She whispered clear enough for young Frances to hear. "We are close enough to hear and well within sight of The King and now I have no choice but to do as commanded. Fate must thing it amusing to pair me up with not the "Charles' of my liking but the one none can refuse!"

"Yet mayhap I can be saved as I too did not place my name and if Beverely was talked into it well then I shall ... well never you mind." Aware that she still held the hand of the young girl.

"Lead on and we shall accompany. Lady Toledo it seems is granted a reprieve for there she goes .... Come Frances. You are about to see first hand how Court works up close. Watch and learn."

Davina then turned in the direction of where the King was, stopped and looked over her shoulder, saying

"Well Charles? Let us to the Company then!"

Anne-Elisabeth leaving Francis, Caroline, and Charles, and joining Ogle

From Lord Chatham's answer to Lord Kingston's question, Anne-Elisabeth gathered that the Earl's eye patch was not just a fashion statement. He had been a soldier at some point. Maybe he still was. He had probably lost his eye in battle. How one could fight in the snow was beyond her understanding. It was perilous enough just to walk on. But perhaps the fire from the cannons melted it, allowing the combatants to clash on solid ground. She knew very little about wars and the way they were fought, and she hoped to keep it that way.

His compliments enchanted her and confirmed that he was as sybaritic as his friends. It seemed that she had fallen … quite literally … into a group of like-minded courtiers. “I'll bet you say that to all the girls,” she quipped. She liked his grin. It had a feral quality that made her entire body tingle.

Anne-Elisabeth looked him up and down appreciatively, not even attempting to hide her scrutiny. Her tongue darted out and swept across her upper lip as her eyes met his again. “Barbados is, indeed, a beautiful place. If you enjoyed the coconut rum they make there, I will be happy to let you have a taste of mine.”

She had heard of Tangiers, and it had sounded quite exotic. Apparently, Lord Chatham had not been too impressed with it. “And a very dear friend too?” she asked. “If so, you are a man after my own heart.”

She nodded when he offered advice on maneuvering through the snow. At the moment, she was quite content to hold tight to Lord Kingston's arm. They finally made it to the registration table just as Nicolette announced who would be paired with whom. “You too are lucky to be partnered together,” she said to Francis and Caroline. Anne-Elisabeth had no idea who Lord Ogle was, but Francis claimed that he was a future Duke. So her friend had remembered her request. Her pairings were obviously not influenced by pulling random names from a basket, but that was her prerogative as the Lady of Misrule.

As to Francis' comment about boys: “I much prefer worldly and sophisticated gentleman, but inexperienced boys do have their appeal. You can guide them into becoming exactly what you want them to be, and train them to do the things you like best.” The young man beckoning to her must be him. He wasn't bad looking and seemed around her age. Unless he was overly proper and disagreeable, she would thank Nicolette later for choosing him for her.

“I guess I should get to know him a bit before the race begins. Good luck to all of you and I'll see you at the finish line.” Taking her leave, Anne-Elisabeth carefully made her way over to the future Duke, taking small and cautious steps across the perilous snow. “Good afternoon, my lord.” Her smile was impish and mischief danced in her eyes as she held up her hand to be kissed. “I'm Anne-Elisabeth Devereux, the Countess of Cambray.”

Esteban had been waiting to speak with Killigrew, but the latter seemed more interested in the machinations of the Misrule pairings. As such, the Spaniard was left to await the outcome of the maneuvering. He had wanted to race with his wife and was pondering how best to arrange it when Sophia came forward and did so on their behalf. A pleased smile appeared on his face as he moved forward to join her.

Henry awaited the arrival of Anne. It was clear that he was appraising her as she moved to join him. Allowing her to introduce himself, the young lord introduced himself as well. "I am Henry Cavendish, Lord Ogle. Pleased to meet you." he took her hand and gave it a kiss while checking for a wedding band. "It seems as if we are to be matched for the race. I suppose I should drive." It seemed the chivalrous thing. "Are you good with snowballs?"

The King , though in a carefree mood, listened carefully to Nicolette's rejoinder. He was certain that she would not allow Davina to ride with him, so he awaited her offer to step forward on behalf of the Queen's maid. Instead, she suggested being an observer, with the King. While inclined to participate rather than spectate, he was amiable about any outcome. "So, the two of us are to preside over the race it seems." It was fitting after all. "Splendid."

He saw Davina approaching and remarked "it would seem unfair to have Miss Wellsley sit in a carriage with Lord Beverley." He pretended to be oblivious to her machinations. "After her going to all the trouble to enroll for the race after all." He was fairly certain that she had not, given all the serious faces. He looked to Beverley and Nicolette. "They might race together? We could await Lady Beverley after all." It was not a royal command. Rather, it was a bit of amusement to see how Nicolette reacted to Davina's participation after all. Women were such charming creatures to read. Who was to say what Davina might say about it all? It appeared as if she had something to say as she approached in the company of a young girl that was not familiar to him. Perhaps it was her sister.

The Toledos

As it turned out, Sophia didn't find her husband. He found her … and actually smiled at her. He looked quite satisfied and she wondered if he had heard her conversation with the King and Nicolette and knew that she had negotiated a way for them to race together. She rather hoped that he had, for it would further prove that her social skills were effective tools that he could use to his benefit.

“We should probably claim our sleigh before all the good ones are taken,” she suggested. “Have you ever driven one before? His Majesty might be racing, and if so, we should try to outrun him but then let him win at the last minute. If he beats us by a mere heartbeat, he may be so pleased that he will be more likely to agree to your treaty.”

Anne-Elisabeth and Ogle

Anne-Elisabeth didn't miss the way Lord Ogle … ogled ... her as she walked toward him. Well, his title certainly suits him, she thought. If she had not been afraid of falling, she would have swung her hips seductively and straightened her shoulders to better display her bosom. But she couldn't even give him the once over until she made it safely to his side.

As expected, his lips brushed over her extended hand. She was wearing a couple of rings, but neither of them remotely resembled a wedding band. The Countess had not worn one even before her husband had died, for she didn't need a ring to remind her that she was married.

“Enchanted,” she said with a sultry smile, finally allowing her dark eyes to roam lazily over his well-dressed form. How long will it take before I have him eating out of my hand? Raising her gaze to his, that smile turned a bit cheeky. “I'm good with all kinds of balls,” she informed him. “Should I expect a smooth ride or a rough one?”

Her words, as usual, were laden with innuendo, and she wondered if he would answer her in kind.

In one moment it seemed as if His Majesty had agreed that he should sit out and go look for his lady wife. He exhaled a sigh of relief.

Then between His Majesty and Misrule, it seemed he might yet be expected to race. He looked between the two for a moment, hoping that his wife might appear and thus free him of his predicament.

He was not sure who he was supposed to listen to.

"May I go look for my lady wife then, or...?"

Perhaps he should stay away from frivolity in the future! He had not the first idea how to drive an actual sleigh, and he did not this Lord Brooke would approve. He very much wanted to remain on their newly-found good ground.

Davina and Company

There was something of a to-do, Frances coudl tell from Charles tone that he was anything but pleased. But then he rarely seemed happy these days, at least not around her.

Keeping close to the gentlewoman the younger fell hush, prewarned that she was about to witness how court really worked. It would have been terribly interesting really, if she was not somewhat distracted with something else...

While he was the last person she'd have thought to turn to, in a whisper to Charles she said, "I want to go home." Because she knew something was very wrong.

Nicolette and the King readying to start the race.

"Perfect." Nicolette declared, having grown weary of the various courtiers upset around her she linked her arm through His Royal Majesty's. "Lets go get ready to start the race off..."

Once clear of the mess any residual confusion over the pairings, she leaned closer to the monarch to comment. "Are courtiers always so... well difficult? I think I finally realise why a king needs to have so many ministers, to deal with all their haggling over announcements!"

"Can you see flags?" She was looking for the method that Killigrew had arranged for starting the sleigh race. "Or shall it be started by a gun shot?" she was grinning at that. "If by gun, I think you must do the honours Your Majesty. I suspect a gun in my hands might make the courtiers even more edgy!" she again laughed.

Nicci for one was having a grand old time, even if she was the only one here wearing a smile.

Cordelia & Mary

Mary Audley could barely repress her pleasure at being entered to the Sleigh race by the King - even if he did seem call her a old woman at the same time - she was looking forward to some activity, Mary had not come to court to distantly watch.

"Langdon, but I have heard of him" Mary had moment to say, before she went on to say to Cordelia, "Oh but you shall come to take a measure of my step son for yourself."

Moving about amidst the rest, Mary approached the gent she'd bee partnered with.

Mary approaches Charles

"Lord Langdon, would that be none other than Lightening Langdon?" she greeted with a nod and a look to the woman he was with, then continued, "I am Mary Audley, Lady Chatham, pleased to meet. I feel quite optimistic of our chaqnces of a win today."