JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Beverley & Davina

"Yes, yes, very 'lost,'" he replied, with a chuckle. That was a joke, right? He was never sure.

"Are you? For Baintree?" he queried, thinking it surely could not be a secret if whomever she was meeting was coming to this very public event.

"I know very little, I confess. The proceeds benefit one of Her Majesty's charities, do they not?" he asked. As to the Lady of Misrule, Beverley merely smiled sweetly. He did not suspect any foulplay. He did not think ladies as ruthless as they could be.

He nodded at her suggestion to see what was what, continuing their conversation as they went.

"The purpose of Misrule is to add to the merriment, so it would seem, erm, a, well, it would seem rather apropos." He chuckled and added, "Killigrew is rather old. Is it not rather cold out here for a gentleman like him? He was very seriously injured last year and that must take a toll on a man of his years." That was a recommendation for a younger person taking charge.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davina and Beverley

"Baintree? Why would I ..." She broke off understanding then that he was asking if she too was waiting - in this case for her brother. "I am not waiting for him but for some other who I have yet to find." She did not elaborate.

She smiled across to him adding

"You must stay exactly as you are this very moment Lord Beverely - promise to never change or else I shall be heartly saddened." He was rather sweet in his innocence she thinks and one cannot help but find him endearing.

"Ah but THIS event is not one of those 'Charaties' so you see that is where the concern comes into play." She began as they walked towards the gathering. "Tis as you say with Misrule and general meeriment is had with no endangerment to ones Rank or Reputations - unless The King interjects naturally."

"Killigrew may be old but he understands full well that there are boundries that can not be crossed Lord Beverely and so do you. Lady Misrule is foreign born and tho she has been here long enough and is kin to Basildon there are many that worry such a kinship will allow for Politics to be played where they should not be. Or so I have heard it said."

"Ah! Then shall YOU take up that Office then?"

Topic change for she did not want to confuse the poor man with too much but she had to wonder if he just might get the point and wish to keep a careful eye on this Event in case things took a turn where they should not go. What she had said was a thing spoke about the Palace by many - some simply for gossip sake but others' because she was French. And others' who found the idea of a female in a mans rolé distasteful.

They were soon within in hearing distance and so she eased them to a halt ready to listen.

Caroline, Nicci, Anne-Elisabeth and Francis

The young woman was, as Caroline had figured all along, unhurt by her little pratfall and availed herself of Caroline's outstretched hand. Once up on her feet the newcomer found herself standing with three people with the arrival of Francis.

"Pride is overrated," Caroline smiled back at her, "Ahh, then I did not foil your clever plan. Anyhow I am happy to have been of assistance. Winter is dreadful and I long for warm weather."

Nicci was present by then, also concerned. Caroline just gave her best friend a silent shrug as if to signal it was nothing serious. Francis proved to be the latecomer of the rescue mission and declared Caroline's first arrival had made him look bad. That drew an eyeroll from her.

"Honestly, Lord Kingston, no one could ever accuse you of not being the gentleman, least of all me. You know how fondly I regard you," Caroline assured the fellow.

The newcomer made certain though that she was more than willing to utilize his services. She moved fast, Caroline regarded with actual approval though. She liked forward ladies, probably because they reminded her of herself. Then she found out the new arrival's name and title.

"Ahh, Lady Devereux, enchanted to make your acquaintance. I am Caroline Despanay, Baroness Kendishall. Widowed, no condolences needed," she grinned. Hmmm, Devereux? Did she have some French blood in her too?

Caroline, Nicci, Anne-Elisabeth and Francis

Francis begun to say something having her reconsider when an interuption occured - it was only polite to offer help, even if the copious quantities of fabric about a lady offered ample padding for a slip - it was ego more likely hurt, and this was eased by the fuss others made of Anne.

Nicolette drew her hand back as Francis stepped into the fore...

"Then all is as it should be." Nicolette smile drawing to Caroline’s side as she introduced the others to Anne Elisabeth. "Our gallant is Lord Kingston, one of His Majesties premiere gentlemen, and I am sure you have heard me speaking of my dearest friend." (Nicolette, having had some fun with Anne-Elizabeth the night before, was sure to have mentioned Caroline - and now confirmed to Anne-Elisabeth that this was indeed she.)

As was a ladies want, Anne-Elizabeth secired Francis services, Nicci did not feel jealousy for she knew the gentleman far too well, and knew it unnecessary...

"And here your own games begin." she teased Kingston. It was ever a Villiers-male plight to discover himself surrounded by so many women that there was hardly room to move!

The MacBain sisters, Douglas, and Duncan

“To settle our differences over who has the honour to sled with Lady Lochend”, Duncan said to Douglas, “I propose we let her choose”. That was, of course, the gentlemanly thing to do. “Should I not be favoured by her decision, I would then gladly take Mistress Aileen as my consolation prize”. He took Aileen’s hand in his and kissed it with mock formality. “But I would very much hope that Lady Lochend does favour me, of course”.

Aileen was bound not to be the best of snowball throwers, but she would have a grand time of it, and his dear friend Cat was bound to be pleased by his choosing her youngest sister. Too bad Shona decided not to participate. The girl needed a bit of physical activity, now that she was of an age to begin being noticed by young eligible men.

“My library is still waiting for you, Mistress Shona. My books are all at your disposal”, he added, not having forgotten his promise. “You and your chaperone may arrive unannounced whenever you wish”. It would not do for others to think he was trying to take advantage of the girl. A proper chaperone was, of course, a must.

It was then that a young raven-haired lady slipped on the ice and fell on her back. Mademoiselle Nicolette immediately hurried to help her, along Lord Kingston and Lady Kendishall. The Lowlander's help would not be needed, it seemed, and it would not do to just flock and gawk. The young lady had enough with her fall. Thus, he remained near the table, waiting for the new arrivals to approach before he greeted them.

Francis, Nicci, Caroline, Anne-E

"Mutually fond, so I shall give you a pass on blocking me from my chance for bravado," he replied to Caroline, the mimicking a smooch in the air for her.

"If by premiere you mean having just made my premiere as newest," Francis jibbed at himself as Nicci introduced him. "I am not sure if I can live up to such recommendations!"

She was from sunshine and oceans. And rum. Definitely rum,

"My, my Barbados. That is quite a different terrain all around," Francis observed. "Well, Lady Cambray, the sliding part is only supposed to occur whilst in the sled, you see." He illustrated this with a whoosh of his hand, smiling teasingly.

"I should be happy to provide my assistance if Lord Cambray would not object?" He was quite certain they all wished to know if there was one, so it seemed politic of him to work it in. "But you will have to share the company my other lady-friends here. And alas, I only have two arms, but the hilt of my sword is as sturdy as might be found." He chuckled just slightly and gave a quirk of the eyebrow to Caroline and Nicci. He wondered what lady might reach for what.

Francis, Nicci, Caroline, and Annie (just don't call her that to her face unless you're a masochist)

The two ladies and the gentleman seemed quite close, judging by the easy way they teased each other. Anne-Elisabeth felt a bit like a fourth wheel but didn't all carriages need four wheels? And the fourth one was the most important, for without it, the coach wouldn't be able to roll.

She watched the way they interacted with interest. Were all three of them lovers? Or just good friends? Lady Kendishall's introduction elicited a chuckle from the young Countess. She obviously was quite proud of being a widow and had probably loathed her husband. Maybe she had even killed him? If so, Anne-Elisabeth would have applauded her for it. She liked women who took matters into their own hands. “Then no condolences are forthcoming. It is a pleasure to meet you, my lady.”

Mademoiselle Vauquelin introduced the tall blond as Lord Kingston, a gentleman of the King. And she mentioned that Lady Kendishall was her best friend. “Enthralled to make your acquaintance, my lord,” she said. “Yes, it's mostly sand, which can be just as perilous as snow to those not accustomed to it.” She wanted to ask if he had been there, but now was not the time for it.

“Nobody told the ice that.” She returned his playful smile with a mischievous one of her own. “I do hope to slide about on a sled today, though. I came here to race, not watch.”

She laughed when he asked if her husband would object. “Let's ask him, shall we?” Stomping on the ground, she looked down at it and intoned loudly: “Do you mind if this fine gentlemen assists me across the snow?” A few seconds later, she shrugged. “Well, he didn't answer so I guess he doesn't care.” Hopefully they all understood that her irreverent comment declared that she was a widow.

Lady Cambray grinned over at Nicolette and Caroline. “You should ask these lovely ladies if they mind sharing you with me. They met you first, after all.” Another chuckle and a saucy smile as Lord Kingston offered his sword to hold onto. “A sword requires a gentle touch, and I'm afraid that if I slip again, I might squeeze it too hard. I would prefer your arm around my waist until we reach safe ground.”

Edited by Guest

Charles and his Ward Arrive

The Earl of Langdon hoped to arrive early, but the interlude with Frances had taken longer than expected. Still, they were in plenty of time. It seemed as though a crowd was already forming. Perhaps he should have not been naive in thinking that there would be difficulty in finding ten couples for the race. In fact, the young earl was being quite naive about many things this day. He had seen this as a way to make Frances laugh and forget her cares; but, now he saw courtiers that might add to the concerns of his pre-teen ward. Charles had brought Amy, of course, to help run down Frances if she thought to bolt.

Davina was with Beverley. That was a good pairing for the two. He was not jealous and was thinking about introducing the pair to his ward. He was equally heartened to see Duncan and Douglas, and the McBain girls. Fiona was dangerous but she was unlikely to try anything in front of anyone. It would be better to have Frances interact with Shona and Aileen. Unfortunately, the friendly Scots were in the company of the French shrew -- Caroline.

Charles had sought to reassure Frances by holding her mittened hand as they walked towards the gathering. It tightened as he took in Caroline. It was in that moment that he realized the error of his thinking. This could prove to be a disaster.

Rather than approach anyone just yet, he paused. "There are so many here, I do not know if there will be a sled left. I see that French woman from the market is here. She is a light skirt and I have no interest in interacting with her further. Will it be a problem if we both just ignore her?" He had already accused Caroline of being a spy, so a light skirt was hardly a reach. The woman was French and a widow, so no one would question it. He would accuse her of being a witch too if the circumstances were suitable. "I was hoping we just might have some fun together. I am not wanting to deal with anyone unpleasant. There are plenty of other proper people here for you to meet. There is a lady to the Queen. The McBain sisters are here too."

Beverley & Davina

Poor Beverley was a bit confused by her sudden comment, although heartened by it. He had no idea what she meant or where it had come from, but he smiled warmly and replied, "I shall do my best."

He nodded as she spoke of the various roles and of misrule not putting a danger to rank and that. It was all very true, and he quite agreed. Still, he was not quite sure why she was telling him just at that moment.

"I do know such boundaries, indeed," he agreed. Then the conversation shifted on to Lord Basildon's politics and the Mistress of Misrule being foreign born. "She might well be, but France has even stricter etiquette than London," he rationalized. "And Lord Basildon has an office so surely knows enough of propriety."

Then he realized that she must not know that his lady wife and Basildon's lady wife were sisters, for one would rarely speak fears of someone's politics around their...well...what did that make him? A brother-in-law of some sort? Bound somewhat within the confines of marriage at any rate.

"Me take up the office?" He let out a very candid snort of amusement. "This is as far from a military operation as can be, dear Mistress Wellesley!"

The Toledos arrive

Sophia had hoped to arrive a little early so they could make certain they got a sled, but there was already a small crowd gathered in the snow-covered park. She held tight to Esteban's arm so that she wouldn't fall. Having injured her ankle by slipping in slush only a few days earlier, she had no desire to repeat the experience. Nor did she want to embarrass either her husband or herself. Because she now represented Spain, taking a tumble might provoke jokes that Esteban's homeland was about to experience a downfall.

She had dressed warmly in a gown of cornflower blue crushed velvet which was embroidered all over with golden thread. The modestly-cut bodice was trimmed with cream-colored Venetian lace above a band of golden ribbon. Golden ribbons were tied around each puff of her long sleeves and edged the split skirt, which revealed a cream moire silk underskirt also liberally embroidered in gold. She wore a golden necklace strung with cream-colored pearls and a dainty blue diamond in the center that rested against her cleavage. Pearl and blue diamond earrings sparkled in the sunlight, as did the matching bracelet encircling one small wrist.

Her lovely ensemble was hidden beneath her white fur cloak. A matching fur hat adorned with blue ribbons and gold feathers sat atop her platinum curls. White leather gloves lined in fur covered her hands. Sophia didn't tolerate cold temperatures well and in spite of the warmth of her cloak, she was still quite chilly. But her neck was quite warm, thanks to Aurora, whom she had decided to bring with her. The golden lion tamarin's bright fur contrasted starkly with the paleness of her mistress' cloak. Her long fluffy tail swished back and forth as she curiously surveyed her surroundings.

Sophia saw several people she knew among the small groups gathered here and there. When she spotted Lord Langdon with his ward Frances, she squeezed her husband's arm and pointed them out to him. “Do you see that young lady with the gentleman over there? She is his ward and she's going through a tough time right now. I remember how I felt when I was her age, and I already told her guardian, Lord Langdon, that I would like to befriend her. Do you mind if I go over and say hello?”

Beverely and Davina

"Well I do hope that you are correct naturally yet I have some 'aquaintance' with her and I did not find her so willing to adapt. In all truth she seemed unwilling to think that any offered her friendships and I know not what the reasons might be."

"And as your Lady is sister to Basildon's wife, and he her cousin, I simply meant that I hoped she had begun to think differently. I have heard such. About the French Court - have you seen it yourself? I confess I should like to but alas ..."

She trailed off her words, she hoped, leading him into thinking she was concerned about the French girl. Better to make as many as possible believe it so that if and when some mischief occurred orcherastrated by Misrule she would have champions of her side if needed.

She would put nothing past Nicolette and the fact that she had tried many times to befriend and even advise all had been rejected. Just why the other held such feelings for her Davina could not guess.

"You laugh? But you have such a good way about you My Lord and All would find themselves falling into what ere you said or planned! Yet I know too how much Pride you take in being by The Prince's side. Yet I should think that both Offices needs must benefit from some form of 'Operation' don't you?"

Her words were meant to compliment but also to keep up the light bantering between them so that when they at last ventured into the fray the mood would be well between them. At least that way she might have some time to see how the Field was to be played out.

Seeing sleds in the picture did not really interest her and unless a miracle occured ... and at that moment Charles came into her line of sight and he was with some young girl which had to be this 'ward' who was giving him so much trouble - and was God sending her just such a miracle now?

If there was to be a pairing up she would not object.

"Can you find out what is to take place?" She asked Beverely as her gaze then took in the Company assembled recognizing the young girl from the Ball who had played word games with Dorset and she seemed to be cozy with Kingston as well as Lady Kendishall ..... she was wasting no time to find her place or so it seemed.

Sophia approaching Charles and Frances

“Thank you, Esteban.” Her husband wasted no time and strode off immediately. Either he couldn't wait to get away from her or he was afraid that if he tarried too long, there might be no sleds left. He did seem quite eager to race, which Sophia hoped was genuine and not just an attempt to mollify her after the distressing news he had delivered this morning. If it was the latter, maybe it meant that he was truly concerned about her feelings. Or was he hiding something else from her that he felt guilty about?

Shaking her head to clear it of that train of thought … which elicited a chirp of annoyance from Aurora … she headed in the direction of the Earl and his ward. The golden lion tamarin rested her head on her mistress' shoulder and her tail fell motionless. She now looked more like a stole made out of animal fur than an actual living creature.

“Good afternoon, Lord Langdon,” she called out as she approached the two. “Happy New Year to both of you.” Smiling at the young girl, she added: “It's good to see you again, Mistress Frances.”

Ahh, Francis, dear affable kindly Francis. She doubted she could ever be mad at him not that she ever needed to be thus far in their relationship. He was his usual self, the man could be at ease with anyone and might even be able to charm an angry bear.

This new noblewoman, Countess Cambry, found instant favor with Caroline for her snappy comeback and wit. Ahh, and she too wanted to race not simply stand there like a statue on the sidelines. Now that was the sort of spirit, Caroline appreciated.

"I agree with you. I hope to race also and am trusting my good friend, Mistress of Misrule, to see to it I get that chance," she informed the newcomer.

And suddenly another thing they had in common, she too was a widow and the way she joked about asking her deceased spouse for permission indicated their marriage had not been a one with much fondness.

"You handle him so well, Countess. I do confess there were times when I wished I could stomp on mine back then," Caroline quipped.

The topic moved to teasing with Francis, who always enjoyed such banter and gave as good as he got without ever being mean about it. Looks like Francis was making yet another enthralled female friend. While that conversation was going on, Caroline couldn't help but let her eyes wander about the every growing crowd. There was Sophia and her Spaniard. And wait!

Look who had decided to grace them with his foul attendance, Langdon, the pompous jailer who fancied himself a soldier. Her father would make mincemeat of that priss. Her anger abated, at least momentarily though, when she also caught sight of the girl, Frances. That sad child was the reason Langdon and her were now at war. Caroline had hoped that time the girl would take up her sincere offer and flee to her residence but nothing came of it. Though it might well be the girl was simply held under lock and key. But she was here now. Even as Caroline mentally debated going over there to greet her, Langdon be damned, there was Sophia approaching them. Wonder what that conversation was going to be all about?

Francis, Nicci, Caroline, and Annie

Francis was modest about her introduction, but Nicci would have none of that. "It is true." She impressed Anne-Elizabeth, "Premiere in that he's regarded amongst the finest of the Kings Court, and not to mention... oh I just remembered, and this might impress you, that he's an importeur of a fine blood red orange brandy."

Blood red Oranges seemed as exotic as Barbados to Nicci, she supposed that her newest friend would also be impressed.

"Say you have some in your flask?" Nicci thought to ask Francis then, turning to include Caroline in that liquid quest she grinned, "Truly it's more prized than gold in some circles." and a wink.

Then the Merry-widows were striking an alliance, Anne Elizabeth doing so with aplomb as she stamped her feet on the frozen ground as though to knock. Nicci was both surprised and impressed, and then just a little jealous that she'd not even been married let alone widowed yet. But then, once she married her Richard, she did not really want him dieing at any great pace.

"Perhaps you shall find gentlemen with greater stamina here at London." she chimed following all that, her eyes slid to Francis with that.

To the activity at hand: Nicci could not have been happier as Caroline vouched for her Misrule management of fun into the activity. “It is true, my friends can be assured of the very best teammates!” She replied with no apology for the general unfairness to others of that. Favouritism was how Whitehall, nay, the entire world went around!

And then Francis while suggesting the new girl ask permission, was flirting wildly! Anne Elizabeth returned a saucy sally, and Nicci laughed of it (being rather fond of his sword herself) "Slippery-er the better is what I think!" and she laughed some more...

But then she noticed Caroline distracted, by Lord Langdon apparently. Turning to her dearest friend she murmured, "is that who you wish to be paired with?" Nicolette had not had chance to learn Caroline’s ill humour towards the new Earl.

Francis laughed loudly as she stomped on the ground, his cheeks pressing up and making his eyes crinkle.

"It is settled then, it seems." He offered an arm to the newcomer and Caroline. Then he said to Nicci, "Since you prefer it slippery...I shall not come between you and the slippery snow." He tossed her a saucy wink.

He headed back toward the sign-up area with them so that Nicci could take her duties back up as they all bantered.

"Of course the Mistress of Misrule has her own set of preferment. His Majesty would expect no less!" For the King liked all fun to be had to the full extent. "Those that please her shall earn her favour, that is the way of things." Chuckling he said, "Benefits such as sampling my flask which she has praised so highly!"

Francis almost always had a flask in the pocket inside his justacorps. What libertine man did not?

Beverley replied, "Truly? I have always found her rather affable, but I cannot claim to know very much about the lady. I would not think Lord Basildon would allow any relation to embarrass him, and she seems quite popular."

Women saw different things of other women. Things that men did not see. Beverley, of course, knew women could be very difficult and oft in competition with one another. He would never understand such things.

"I do not think anyone shall be visiting France anytime soon," he observed. "But I do not see the utility of scratching on a door with one's pinky finger." That was what he had to say about French tendencies and etiquette. He was quite all Englishman.

All this lauding was far too much for Beverley's usual experience, and whilst he felt the swell of it inside, it was also a bit foreign to him.

"I do take much pride in it, erm, and that is why I could not, well, divide my attention from it. Besides, I really do not have the necessary gaiety for such things." He was not what people lauded as "fun."

As to figuring out how things were to be run, Beverley nodded. "Certainly." He headed in the direction where Nicolette and her little tribe were returning.

Francis, Nicci, Caroline, and Annie

All of them seemed amused by her clever way of announcing that she was a widow. “Oh, he's much easier to handle now,” she said to Caroline. “Unlike when he was alive, he never complains anymore.” Anne-Elisabeth couldn't remember him complaining at all and she had cared for him, but they had only been married a few months before the shipwreck. If he had lived, would their marriage have been a happy one? Probably not, since she knew he had been unfaithful to her. Yet she had been starry-eyed and optimistic then. She was better off without him. In fact, she could hardly remember what he looked like now.

Nicolette suggested that she might find men with more stamina in London. By the sly way she looked over at Lord Kingston and the way she had praised him when she introduced him to her, the Countess felt fairly certain that the two of them were lovers. She would tread carefully with him. It would be a pity to lose a charming friend over a gentleman, especially when there were so many other fascinating lords at court. “I certainly hope so,” she agreed. “Perhaps I will meet a few today.”

A suggestive remark about slippery swords came to mind, but Anne-Elisabeth did not voice it, afraid that the ladies might think she was making a pass at Francis. He was quite attractive and she liked his easy-going manner, but she had no intention of infringing on her friend's territory. Unless she discovered that Nicolette was not possessive of him or she was wrong about their relationship, she would curb her flirtatious wit where he was concerned.

When she took the the arm he offered her, she held onto it lightly and casually. “Oh how cruel you are!” she exclaimed when he said he would leave Nicolette to the mercy of the snow. Anne-Elisabeth extended her free hand to her. “Here, hold onto my hand.” She grinned wickedly. “If you slip, I'll make certain that he goes down with you.”

So the Mistress of Misrule was in charge of pairing up couples for the race. “Then I hope you count me among your friends. I think I should like to be paired with a libertine Duke. Or failing that, Lord Dorset, perhaps. Though it might be more fitting to race against him and give him a chance to regain the pride he lost when I bested him in last night's limerick competition.”

Charles and his Ward Arrive, and are approached by Sophia

Perhaps she was just an ungrateful girl - Frances had glowered at Amy on their way to the race, she knowing very well that she was being kept on a very short leash. A fact made even more obvious as Charles would not let go of her hand.

'I could slip my hand out of the mitten and dash for it'. This thought gave her a small hope.

Arriving, she looked around even as her guardian did, their eyes respectively finding Caroline with different opinions upon. Frances expression lifted, and she lifted her free hand to wave hand and to smile. Meanwhile Charles was maligning Caroline... Frances knew it was just that Caroline had a different opinion than he did that made him hate her so. Her guardian usually liked light skirts for that very quality, it was odd then that he now said it like he disapproved.

"If you don’t want to talk to her, then I can do so instead." Frances replied, trying it on and taking a step in Caroline’s direction...

When along came one of the other ladies from Westminster, one who'd not said much, least nothing so daring as Caroline who'd really put herself out there for Frances. The youngster bobbed a little curtsy, as she ought to, as she was greeted. "Afternoon Marm." she looked again towards her jailor, "Looks like you've got a lot to talk about, I’ll just be over there." again Frances tried break away from Charles hold.

Caroline fully agreed with Nicci's assertion about the blood orange brandy.

"Indeed that brandy is excellent, it is to be savored and is far too high quality to get drunk on and waste it. One can use any cheaper stuff for that."

"Francis you really do need to give our new dear friend here a taste ..............of your brandy that is. What else she tastes is something left between you and her," Caroline remarked.

Nicci could be quite sharp most times and indeed she caught who Caroline was glancing at. However the woman was definitely most incorrect on the feelings between her and Langdon. Something that needed instant correction.

"Mon dieu! No! I detest that ...that prison guard. He may even be a pervert," she whispered that very last part into Nicc's ear.

"Though I hope he races, I would dearly love to hit him full in the face with a firmly packed snowball," she mused.

Once more she snuck a glance in the direction of Frances and her oppressive guardian and this time the girl noticed her too and even gave just a slight hint of a wave. Caroline smiled and waved back just as Sophia started up a conversation with that very Langdon. What was her German friend up to now, well hopefully not betraying her to this man? She wanted to have faith in Sophia though but it had become harder given recent events.

Francis had taken both her and Anne-Elisabeth in arm so for the moment Caroline was a bit occupied but before this day was over she definitely wanted to speak to young Frances. She would just have to bide her time and keep an eye out for the girl.

"You well know my ability and independence!" Nicolette laughed in return to Francis' winked quip - though her carefree spirit was only made possible though the foundation of support of men like he and her cousin.

Anne-Elisabeth offered her hand "That is alright my dear, I think I need attend to my duties again - La! A duke? Those are thin on the ground today, but we shall see." Nicolette begun to move away...

....leaving the others to sup on Francis ever ready flask perhaps... "I think you have just been issued a challenge my ladies! Good luck hunting where Lord Kingston keeps that ever-present, ever stout and dependable, ever filled and satisfying vessel!" Nicolette called cheekily as she moved apart

...though not before a quiet word with Caroline, in which she learnt of a dislike that had the usually liberal woman speaking very sternly. Under her breath Nicolette returned gravely, "Heavens, you must tell me more, but later."

So she'd not be matching Caroline with Charles - that was certain!

Nicolette returns to the registration table

Had the Scotts settled upon who would be competing? Nicolette gave a smile their way before turning towards those newly arriving - amongst whom included Whitehurst whom she's thought well enough of personally, but now thought she'd need to match with somebody dreary and boring just to sooth Caroline. Davina was approaching also. Perhaps the ever lecturing Queens maid would make a good punishment for Whitehurst? And there was Lord Beverly with big brown eyes, a man that was far too sweet and innocent that it made her want to mess his hair and kiss him till he turned shocked and pink. (She'd tried to do that once before, perhaps she'd get to try again today!)

As she waited for the next to approach she looked down the list of names of the men who had paid...

OOC: I'm pming Douglas and Duncan to see if Nicci can help at all as they seem to be stuck?

Charles had been hoping that a new year would mean a new start with Frances. As things were going wrong he was hoping that they might be salvaged by Frances becoming more biddable. Sadly, that was not to be the case. At the first chance she could, Frances wanted to escape to spend time with the French shrew. In that moment Charles knew that there should be no sledding for them. He needed to return to the house at once.

They were approached by Sophia which caused a pause. "Frances, let's not be rude. Let us speak with Lady Toledo." He was not about to let go of her hand. "Good afternoon Lady Toledo. Happy New Year. You know my ward Frances Smith. We are on an outing today. Are you going to be sledding?"

Charles, Frances, and Sophia

Frances appeared to be more interested in bolting again than in talking to her. Had she really made such a dreadful impression on the girl? Did she blame Sophia for not trying to rescue her from her guardian? The young blonde believed that Frances would have a better life with Lord Langdon than out on the street. If only she could get her to understand that. First, though, she had to develop a rapport with her, which might be harder than she had imagined.

They did have one thing in common. Sophia glanced over at Karl, lurking a short distance away. They were both subject to the watchfulness of the men in their lives and they needed to escape now and then. Sophia had managed to get away for a pleasurable interlude last night. Perhaps she could offer Frances a much more innocent kind of escape if the amiable Earl would allow her to take her on excursions. Even a walk in the palace gardens might lessen the feeling of being trapped.

“I hope so,” she replied in answer to Lord Langdon's question. “My lord husband has gone to reserve a sled. Will the two of you be racing as well?” She grinned at Frances. “Have you participated in many snowball fights, Mistress Frances? I find them quite fun myself and I imagine that it will be a lot more exciting from the back of a moving sled.”

Charles, Frances, and Sophia

It had not worked, not that she had really thought it would, her warder had not earned the reputation he had by being a pushover when it came to his prisoners. Still Caroline had seen her, and had waved. This lifted Frances spirits, heart in her eyes she smiled back.

It was then she noticed Sophia was talking to her.

It was ironic perhaps, there had been a time when attending a court event with Charles was the only thing she wanted, back then she'd never dreamed that anyone would want to talk to her also, she had just wanted to be there, that was all. But back then he'd always told her she was too young and left her at home. Now that she'd given up, now she did not want any of this anymore he, gave it to her without even having to ask. Was it irony? Or was there a another word for what this was?

Frances pulled at her arm in Charles grip, "Oh yeah I am having a ball." she looked at Charles pointedly.

• 2 weeks later...

Davina

While Lord Beverely went to make inquires it provided Davina with an opportunity that did not happen too often in which she was amonst others yet singularly Alone. She let her gaze wander over those Assembled taking note of clothes and styles and mannerisms but never lingering over long. That was until she saw her Lover.

Far enough away yet close enough to see clearly she directed her focus to the young girl that held held by the hand and by the look of it he was not well pleased. This must be his Ward, what was her name ... ah Frances, and the one who was prone to rebellion.

She did not understand his position at all. Clearly he had no experience yet he himself had a younger brother so why was it so hard for him to be in Command with this 'ward'? That she was hard to handle spoke of a past lack of education and upbringing - what had he told her about this girl anyway - she could not remember yet when they had talked she said that he MUST make it clear that twas himself that ruled and that was as it should be.

This was the problem with Selling Wardships. A thing abolished yet still much done. The King had for all intents and purposes 'sold' the girl to Langdon who in turn could continue it along if he so wished to another. Ah. Was the reason Charles did not hold the whip because he feared the King's displeasure?

She saw too that Lady Toledo had now joined the duo. That did not bode well for that Lady had ideas that always caused troubles no matter the intent and so it was with this thought that she began to make her way across to where they stood. Lord Beverely would see her well enough and would return to her side.

Davina joining Charles, Frances, Sophia

She knew she presented quite a charming picture attired in her charcol grey velvet and metalic silver trim lace and as she did not as a rule 'lack' in confidence her smile was inviting and took them all in as she made her greeting

"I had not thought to see you Lord Langdon yet here you are. Lady Toledo."

Davina gave that Lady a small reverance as befitted a Married Woman/ Ambassador's Wife then fixed her blue eyes on Charles then moved downwards to Frances not missing how tightly the two hands were held.

Edited by Guest

Charles, Frances, and Sophia with Davina joining

Sophia leaned close to Frances and whispered: “You're not the only one who feels trapped.” She indicated Karl with a discreet nod in his direction. “See that big hulking man over there? He follows me everywhere I go and reports back to my husband.” She was hoping to convey to the girl that she was not alone in having her freedom curtailed.

“I call him my guard dog. I am trying to gain his trust so that he might not be so watchful and I can slip away occasionally." The petite singer kept her voice low enough so that nobody but Frances would be able to hear. "I had two guardians before I was married and I managed to sneak away sometimes. I usually returned before I was missed, but at least I was able to enjoy some stolen freedom."

Sophia hoped that Frances would understand that she was willing to teach her to do the same thing. A little harmless mischief wouldn't hurt anybody, and she would, of course, tell Lord Langdon what she had been speaking to his ward about when they had some time alone together. Maybe he would let Frances have a few liberties while letting her believe that she was fooling him. It might stop her from running off to the streets again.

Mistress Wellsley joined them and Sophia greeted her politely. Perhaps she should suggest that the three of them go on an outing together. Lord Langdon may let Frances out of his sight if she was chaperoned by two respectable ladies. If she tried to bolt, Sophia was certain that Karl could catch her before she got too far.

Aurora lifted up her head and looked around at the people her mistress was speaking with. Sophia reached up and stroked her soft fur.

"Yes, and a taste is all one needs to be sucked into a desire for more...of blood orange brandy, that is," he added with a wicked grin that had little wickedness in it offset by blue eyes and the youth of his face.

"But first you must find it as our dear Mistress of Misrule suggested," he wagged his brows.

Then the young newcomer made a surprising request.

"Dorset you say? Yes, yes, my dear cousin does impress with his limericks, multiple titles, and newly inherited coinage," and then he leaned in to whisper teasingly, "...but with little else." Caroline, being so close, could also hear the not-so-whispered whisper.

"What cousin might you wish to share a sled with?" Francis asked Caroline, teasingly. "Most are far more impressive than I." He winked. "In sledding, at least. I've spent too much time in warm climes as well."

Nicolette refused her offer, which disappointed Anne-Elisabeth a bit. She would have liked to hold the pretty Frenchwoman's hand. But it seemed that she had duties to attend to. “The Mistress of Misrule's work is never done, it seems,” she said, smiling at her friend. She did hope that she was pared with a Duke but a handsome Earl would do as well. Anyone of lesser status would find a snowball thrown in his face instead of at his opponent!

Of course, there would always be a few exceptions, like Lord Kingston. She wouldn't mind sharing a sled with him. He continued to wittily extol the virtues of the blood orange brandy in his hidden flask. From Nicolette's parting words, it seemed as if she was not possessive of him at all. So perhaps the Countess could be a bit bolder.

“I'm quite passionate about coconut rum myself,” she said. “Its taste is so exquisite that my lips long for its kiss. I can never get enough and I've even fervently licked my empty glass for just one more luscious drop. However, I am eager to try your brandy, my lord. It sounds sublime.”

She grinned at Caroline. “You know him better than I do. Where should we start searching?” Anne-Elisabeth would have loved to plunge her hands into both of his pockets and feel around for something much more interesting than a flask, but she had to exercise caution. Perhaps it was Lady Kendishall who had laid claim on the tall blond.

Dorset was Lord Kingston's cousin? They shared the same hair color but she didn't see much of a resemblance otherwise, but perhaps that was because they were quite diverse in personality. Francis was not the least bit arrogant while Dorset had readily admitted that modesty was his downfall.

“I was not aware that he had multiple titles or great wealth, only that he was almost as good with a limerick as myself.” As to his whispered comment, she chuckled but did not indicate whether she knew if his claim was true.*

He then asked Caroline which of his cousins she wanted to share a sled with. How many does he have she wondered? And who are they? I may wish for an introduction or two.

“So you also like it hot?” she asked with a saucy smile. “Have you been to the Caribbean?”

*Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset are supposed to 'ring in' the New Year together, and since that hasn't happened (or not happened) IC yet, I can't say much about how well she knows him … or what parts of him she's seen.

The newcomer, Anne-Elisabeth, asked her where she should start searching Lord Kingston for his treasured blood orange brandy flask. Caroline simply shrugged.

"I am unsure. I never had to search for it, he always freely gave me some,"she smiled, "But I wish you good fortune. Never know what you might find."

Caroline turned to Francis, "I care not who I share a sled with, as long as I can participate and not have to stand in the cold and watch others have all the fun."

As for Dorset, she really did not know the man, though it sounded like Francis was not all that impressed with the fellow and she did value his opinions more than most men's.

"Oh you most certainly are impressive, you just are more ....modest about it than some of the more flamboyant lords," she assured Francis.

All the while, she could not help but be distracted, watching Sophia talk with that despicable Langdon, who had a vise hold on the hand of young Frances, his so called ward, more truthfully prisoner. What was Sophia going on about?

Beverley joins Nicci at the registration

Giving a polite nod to the group of military Scots by the registration table, he smiled at his (quite extended) family relation.

"Good afternoon, Mademoiselle. I hope you are, erm, keeping warm." He paused for just long enough before asking in his shy manner (with ladies), "What is the Modus Operandi?"

He said it without even wondering if she would know what that meant. It was not an uncommon classical phrase, but it was not an everyday one either.