JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Gift the King to Start the Year Off Right! | 1st PM- Xmas 1677

Defiance

As the Ambassador from Spain and his wife were announced, Sophia stepped forward with her husband. After dropping a graceful curtsy, she rose and smiled at the King and Queen. Though her heart was pounding frantically, she looked calm and confident. Esteban had put his trust in her and she was so afraid that she would let him down.

“Your Majesties, “I have two sets of gifts to present to you tonight, one set from Spain and the other from me personally.”  She motioned a servant forward who held a rectangular box. She removed the lid and the servant lifted the box at an angle so that its contents could be seen. Nestled in a bed of black velvet were two small golden chalices, simple but elegant in design.

“Spain sends you these lovely and rare chalices from the Inca Empire, made of the purest gold, along with wishes for a joyful and prosperous New Year.” Sophia wasn't certain how rare they were or how pure the gold was, but the fact that they came from the New World made them exotic treasures, at least in her own opinion.

(OOC: I figured that I would post this in two parts, since she is giving both Spain's gifts and her own. After the reaction to these, I'll post her personal presents Or if you would rather me post everything at once, just let me know and I'll add the rest in.).

Charles stood, swaying slightly. His skin was pale and beaded with sweat, his expression drawn, and his hands twisted into convulsive claws at his side. Every beat of his heart sent flensing knives of white-hot agony carving through the right side of his skull. Nausea roiled in his gut. He had known he was due a migraine when he had started seeing the flashing lights dance in his vision after the sleigh race, but had vainly hoped it would be mild. Instead he had found himself prostrated in his rooms, whimpering and attempting to force himself to keep Mademoiselle Vauquelin's herbal tea down. A vain effort, and he had found no relief in the tincture. He would have resorted to laudanum, as he always had in the past, had it not been for the royal gift giving. He would have had to dose himself to insensibility to suppress the pain, and there was no way he could have appeared in public thus. Instead he had waited until the very last minute to leave his chambers, praying that the migraine would pass swiftly. It had not, and showed no sign of doing so.

Indeed one suspects that I would have made a better impression in the full grip of an opiate.

Eye screwed up against the light, Charles waited in line and focused on not vomiting his bile (for that was all that remained in his stomach) out on all those around him.

(OOC: Just a quick placeholder so I can move Charles on.)

• 3 weeks later...

As the gifts were from an ambassador, it would be impolitic not to wish to see them closely. Therefore, His Majesty smiled at the buxom lady and gave Kingston a look to go fetch the cups to him. The gold-haired Kingston had dealt with many golden things that night! 

Once he was cup-in-hand, he held one out to the Queen to examine. It was very finely made but of a style quite different.

"We thank Your Excellencies for the gifts, they are fascinating relics of new worlds." He paused and then added, "I wonder if they drank wine out of them or some other primitive brew." The King grinned and then smiled widely, seemingly with some thought, but it actually was because of something a bit more concrete.

Sophia smiled at her former guardian as he took the cups from the servant and gave them to the King.  His Majesty seemed quite impressed with the golden chalices, but Sophia couldn't tell what the Queen thought of them. Would she see them as curiosities from a pagan world and never use hers? She shot Esteban a triumphant look while the King examined them. Her husband had made a good choice and she had presented them well. She hoped that her husband would let her do more things like this, where her social talents could shine.

“You are most welcome, Your Majesty.” He remarked about what was usually served in them and Sophia grinned impishly. “Perhaps everything that is poured into them tastes divine.”

The King's smile made her wonder if he was going to experiment with different types of drinks to see if she was right. He would have fun doing it and he might also be willing to sign Esteban's peace treaty after receiving such lovely but mysterious gifts.

This seemed like a good time to present her own. “Your Majesties, I have other gifts for you as well, not from Spain but just from me.”

Sophia motioned another servant forward toward the King. This one held a much larger box, and when the lid was lifted, an ornate automaton clock in the form of Diana on her chariot was displayed. There was a key on the side of it, and when it was wound, Diana's eyes would move from side to side every second as the chariot moved forward. The two leopards at the front the chariot glided up and down, a monkey sitting at Diana's feet lifted an apple it held it one hand while its head shifted downwards as if it was eating it, and a bird on the back of the chariot moved back and forth. When the chariot finally stopped, Diana actually shot the arrow on her bow.

Of course, none of that was apparent at the moment, as the clock was nestled in its box. The King would mostly likely know what it was, since chariot clocks had been popular entertainment since the previous century and were not uncommon. She had seen this one in a clock shop in Germany and had thought it the perfect gift for the King. “To Your Majesty, I present a gift that will remind you of the opera that was performed last week.” And most importantly, my role in it, she added silently to herself. “When you wind it up, it does many things.” Her smile became mischievous. “And there is a special surprise at the end.”

The last servant, carrying a large square package, stepped toward the Queen. Again, Sophia lifted the lid, revealing a beautiful jewelry box painted in a pastel floral pattern and inlaid with ivory, gold, and jewels. The top was slightly raised and also inlaid with ivory, gold, and jewels. On the flat panel at the top was a gorgeous painting of Jesus in a beautiful garden surrounded by happy children. Sophia opened it and it began to play 'Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott,*' the hymn that the Queen had loved when the young singer had performed it for her.

“On my recent trip to Germany, Your Majesty, I saw this jewelry box in a window and I immediately thought of you.” Curtsying again, she concluded: “To both of you, I hope that the New Year brings you everything that you could ever wish for."

* A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

(OOC: Sophia's gift to the King in action)

• 3 weeks later...

His Majesty was quite surprised that the lady wished to bestow other gifts. However, any surprise at that was overtaken by thoughts of the clock that was then presented.

The King was exceedingly fond of such things. The more complicated the mechanisms, the better. 

His gentleman didn't even require a look to know that he would wish to see that more closely. Truth be told, he could have taken that to his closet and forgotten this entire  ordeal of gifting, State ceremonies be damned. 

His Majesty paid little attention to his Queen as she too looked at Lady Sophia's gift more closely. It would be too much to hear the music of it then and there for the young queen, so she marveled at the music box itself. She would not know it played the hymn Sophia had performed until later. 

"You must have known us exceedingly fond of clocks," the King commented, now eyeing the....were those cats....pulling the cart? "We thank you, Lady Toledo."

The Queen echoed the sentiments with a rare, small smile. 

Sophia had not expected such an enthusiastic response to her gifts. The King seemed positively delighted and the Queen actually smiled at her. They both appeared to be more pleased with her personal gifts than they were of the golden goblets from Spain. She glanced over at Esteban, hoping that he wouldn't be angry that her presents had eclipsed those of his country.

“I have my sources,” she replied with a mysterious and mischievous grin when His Majesty commented that she must have known that he liked clocks. In truth, she had chosen the piece because of its depiction of Diana. The clock had just been a nice extra touch.

“You're most welcome, Your Majesty,” she said again. “I hope that my offerings bring joy to both of you.”

Dropping a pretty and respectful curtsy, she took her husband's arm and moved away so that the courtiers in line behind her could have their turn. Sophia was practically bursting with happiness that her gifts had been received so well.