JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

New Years Eve Scarlet Drawing Room- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Alice and Davina

Alice might not be the brightest, it took more than one hint for Davina to get her wishes through!

"Oh, oh yes I see." it finally dawned on her that Davina wanted to depart company.

Her eyes slid towards the Queen midst her cluster of ladies. Davina had initially suggested that Alice make an attempt in that direction, but now seemed to have changed her mind (or at the least did not want to sponsor her entrance with an introduction.) Rather Davina now wished to be away.

"Well it has been a pleasure to meet you." Alice wondered what she'd done wrong? Perhaps it had been her stern word in the Scarlett drawing room. Perhaps? Well, who was to know.

It was seemed also that Davina did not want to arrange to meet up at the sled race on the morrow, as she voiced a preference to staying in her dressing gown than attend the event Alice had suggested.

"What will you do then?"

"Oh, I shall attend." Alice gave a shrug, "My brother loves to race." her younger brother that was, Avon was more the indoor artsy type. It cost nothing to be polite, so despite her confusion and wondering if she just been shunned Alice considerately said "I can let you know if anything interesting happens. Happy New Year Mistress Davina."

And so Davina departed, with Alice none the wiser to the true reason or intent for her exodus.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davina, with her mind preoccupied on how best to leave the Hall and escape quick back to her rooms, was unaware of the thoughts Alice had until she uttered her words regarding meeting her and Happy New Year ...

Had she said something without thought? Had she made the other think her Company was not wanted? But there was no time now to try and repair so she could but add that

"By all accounts I shall end up going but no doubt there will be a wager on it amongst the Maids - I am not overly fond of cold and dampness you see and most know it - so perhaps I will go just to have those that bet aganist it be tripped up!"

She gave a small chuckle at the idea but who knew she might well arrive.

"How kind you are for that thought. Not many would think to 'share'. Happy New Year to you Lady Alice!"

As she took her leave Davina hoped that Alice might be convinced that there was nothing unwarranted towards her and that she might simply think that twas some Duty that made her leave so quickly.

Determined to set things straight at some other time she nevertheless cast a look back her gaze following for a few minutes the figure of the other.

• 3 months later...

----

The Grand fireplace had drawn much attention - or more particularly it's mantel clock...

Tick tock tick tock.

"Ten!"

"Nine!"

But counting down the seconds was nothing quite so exact. It's longest arm then twitched a little just before the mechanisms within made it take the next turn.

"Eight!"

The long arm lurched. Click --- whirrrrrrrr -- And then the chimes begun

"Happy New Years!"

Glasses with lifted with toasting and cheering in the Scarlet Drawing room.

Outside of the room a band of three boys snickered, and then raced of again down the hall