JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Down with Danby (Evening 12/30)- Xmas 1677

"I suppose I could write a quick note," Louis acknowledged. The younger man had thought not to delay further but write another longer letter to Lisa.

With pen and ink, Basildon hastily wrote a note to his wife to authorize the payment of 500 pounds to the Earl of Danby upon his presentation of the note, in return for the sale of the title.

"There," he announced as he penned his signature and handed the note to Osborne. "There is not much time. Is there anything else to discuss before I take my leave?"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danby seemed pleased enough with the situation of Basildon writing the letter. Now they both had proof of what was promised.

The older man was still unsure what the situation was between he and Basildon, but as Basildon had found him, it mattered little the situation. He would have to be friendly enough either way.

"I do not think so," Danby replied with something like a smile and a nod. "If you can pay that Peyton a bad turn, though..." He let that hang in the air.

Danby had little idea that after he had robbed the youth blind, that the king had taken up the boy's situation.

"Very well," Basildon replied. It seemed as though their business was concluded. Danby was not particularly talkative or informative, so there was little reason to linger. Louis needed to create a sense of urgency for his plan to be fully successful.

Folding the papers and placing them in his inner coat pocket, Basildon took to his feet. "When I see Peyton ... I will give him your regards." Turning to look at Arthur as Louis prepared to take his leave. "Speaking of Peyton, you really need to stop seeking the company of only young boys. People may begin to draw scandalous conclusions."

"Farewell and safe travels to Amsterdam." He reached out to shake Danby's hand but used the move to get close to Danby for what was to occur next.

Looking at Arthur, Louis barked "get your things boy. You are coming with me." By being close to Danby, Louis could move to restrict Danby physically from intervening.

"I need a witness that I delivered my message to you. If you fail to go to Amsterdam after this and I am seen acquiring an office from you, the King will draw the wrong conclusion and it will be me in the Tower. I have no plans to go there, my lord. I need a witness to tell the King that I tried to arrange your departure, as opposed to being in league with you. You are more clever than I Lord Treasurer and I have no doubt that you could put me in jeopardy without a witness. You betrayed me once. I'll not give you another chance to do so. Consider this a surety."

With a strong nod of the head towards the door, Basildon made clear to Arthur that he was to take his leave while he gripped Danby's hand. If Osbourne looked in Killington's eyes, he would see a level of determination that was not to be trifled with.

Danby shook Louis hand, unaware of what was going to happen next.

Arthur was just as surprised, clearly. "I cannot without my brother, my lord. He is my elder and more important."

"Take one of the servants, the boys were entrusted to me." Danby looked down at Basildon's hand with curiosity.

Basildon was an astute man. If the younger said that the other brother was the elder and more important, there was a reason for why the word 'important' was used. Plus, if there was no fortune involved, brothers of gentry were far more equal in status; there would be no reason for the younger to be raised to revere the elder.

"Fine, I will take your brother too. There is no need to split the family." This was done to reassure the boy and to send a message to Danby.

"A servant will not save me from the Tower. No, it must be gentry. The King will believe the boys." This was done to refute Danby's suggestion. "Once you deliver my message to my wife in Amsterdam and I know you are safely abroad, then the boys will be free to join you there." That was easy to promise because he was certain that the boys would decline that opportunity. Still, the way Louis made the promise it was intended to sound genuine -- that the boys were nothing more than a temporary convenience for him. It was important to make the Lord Treasurer believe that they would be joining him soon. "They are safer with me anyway until your flight is complete." The terms were non-negotiable. Basildon was willing to take the boys by force if need be, but it was far better to paint a picture of the need for the boys to stay behind until Danby was safe. It would be easier for him to slip out of the country.

"Get your things and join your brother," he commanded Arthur. "There is no time." Turning his gaze to his elder, Louis lowered his voice to a hushed tone. "You need to be gone from this dwelling within the hour. I am helping you in saying this. The less encumbered you are, the better. We have no time to speak further." There was a sense of urgency in Killington's voice. Let Danby assume the worst.

The younger earl waited for the boy to exit before releasing Osbourne's hand. "Safe passage my lord," he offered as he released Danby's hand. His intention was to keep his body between Danby and the boys, and exit the room. If the other man would seek to raise the alarm at the boys' abduction, the younger earl was prepared to tell the inn that England's most wanted man was in their midst.

Danby's jaw set as Basildon spoke.

Potential dangers converged, and how he responded and came out of it would determine much of the future. A future that was already quite dire.

"You will send them to me and only subject them to His Majesty if it is required," Danby said, but he was aware there was little he could do to ensure that would happen. "Their grandfather is serving a diplomatic mission on the continent as it is." Which was wholly true.

Danby would happily bring the boys to Sir John if it were favourable to him.

Little Arthur began shoving what little they had in a satchel that had been mostly full already. It seemed the boys had been ready to go at a moment's notice. Whether that was of Danby's wish or their own was difficult to guess.

The former Lord Treasurer spared no worried glance for the boy, nor any sort of attachment. In fact, there was only a muted maliciousness that a man who knew him well, like Basildon, might see.

"I will be gone," Danby replied.

Louis was not bothered whilst exiting. Arthur was wide-eyed with wonder. When they entered the taproom, Louis would see that young Trevor had very ornate pistol half-raised in his hand, the sort that belonged to a pair. It was not one of Basildon's, and the boy certainly had not left with it.

He seemed to sigh as he saw Basildon exiting, without Danby, and with Arthur. He lowered and then hid the pistol under a cloak that he had also, somehow, gained.

When Danby made no move to impede Basildon's plan, Louis softened his look as the former Chief Minister announced that he was leaving. "Then give my love to my wife."

With that, he was on his way out. He knew that the Earl had a weapon but he would have been a fool to use it on Louis from behind. Once in the main inn he was met by Trevor, and the lad had a pistol. How interesting. The lad was determined to not leave with Osborne.

Ushering the boys outside, Louis moved them towards his coach a block away. There was little need for stealth. Buckingham's spies, as well as the King's would be watching. Speed was more important, and the spies might be confused by the company of two boys.

Once safely in the coach with the lads, Louis signaled for his man to take them home. "I thought that went well," he declared as they became comfortable. His pistol was removed from his belt for comfort. "Now then, how about you tell me who you are, your father and grandfather, and why you were traveling with the Earl of Danby?" They were a mystery, but the young Earl could only imagine that they would be a boon to him. Osborne wanted to keep them close as a bargaining chip no doubt, but why these two?

Basildon was quite the realist in thinking there would be others watching. He was very right, perhaps moreso than he would ever know.

Safely in the coach, Arthur sighed and chanced a smile.

Trevor replied, "Indeed, my lord. I rather thought to hear a commotion." With that said, he handed the pistol to Basildon, clearly thinking it was the earl's. "She clearly is the mate of a pretty pair, and I would have liked to shoot her. Alas," he added, mistakenly complimenting Basildon's weapon as he also bitterly expressed that he would have liked to have shot Danby.

These two were very well educated and quite well-spoken for their age. It spoke to a breeding a bit deeper than surface portrayed.

"Trevor and Arthur Hill, my lord. Our grandfather is Sir John Trevor." One of the most influential royalist MPs, so a man who needed no further explanation to an English lord. He was close to several peers, notably the Duke of Norfolk, and led a large following in the Lower House.

"I am his heir and the heir of my father," Trevor said. "Are you familiar with County Down in Ireland, my lord? Perhaps you have heard of one of its largest towns and estate, Hillsborough?" He pointed between himself and his brother. "Hill's Borough, in other words. My family owns much of County Down and large tracts in County Wicklow and the North Ridings of Yorkshire as well."

Which was to say that he was the male Irish equivalent of the Percy Heiress, sans anything resembling an Irish accent. Add that fortune to that of Sir John Trevor and not having a title was essentially meaningless. Nobody acquired that much land without a pedigree, even in Ireland.

"We were not willingly with Lord Danby. I presume he was attempting to blackmail my grandfather," Trevor volunteered. "Or any number of others who would not wish us harmed."

He was uncertain how much to say to Lord Basildon. He was surely in a position to attempt to take advantage as well, and Trevor had his fill of earls of that ilk! He had gone quite further in his mind than simply thinking Danby ill-bred.

"A pleasure to meet you gentlemen," Basildon replied to their introduction. Indeed. Their grandfather was well-known certainly and it looked like the boys were set to inherit a fine bit of land. "You are safe now. I shall not return you to Danby's clutches," he pledged.

The coach began moving. "I shall take you back to Somerset House where you shall be looked after by the household and my cousin. My wife is away with Princess Mary in the United Provinces, but we shall make you comfortable while we decide how best to assist you and your family."

Sitting back against the cushion, Louis gave a relaxed smile to the boys. He returned the pistol to Trevor. "You keep it for your safety. I can give you lessons in shooting. I am known to be a fair marksman." Hopefully this would put the eldest more at ease.

"How did you come to be prisoners to Thomas Osborne?" It seemed to him that they might simply escape had they wished to do so. "Who was taking care of you in London before Danby? Where is your nearest family? What else should I know?" Perhaps it was just a simple case of abduction, but the Earl doubted it. Someone had entrusted the boys to Danby ... but whom? In the ten or fifteen minutes it would take to get home, Louis hoped to understand the full consequences of the evening's events.

A lesser man would worry, but Louis was brimming with confidence. He had outsmarted Danby and he planned to play his cards carefully with the King and Buckingham to come out smelling like a rose. No matter the challenges, there was one person in the coach that had absolute confidence that he would master them all. A satisfied smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

Trevor blinked when Basildon declined taking back his pistol, a bit puzzled by the gesture but not less pleased. He gave a half smile and place it next to him on the seat.

"Lord Danby said we were safe as well," he said, a bit flatly. "My apologies, you have...well...done us a great favor. And you must have great skill to have succeeded in such a feat, for I have been trying to conspire an escape for some time."

When one was Irish and raised in England, there was a certain amount of healthy suspicion. He had more reasons than most to be suspicious after the Danby fiasco.

"I should like that, my lord," the boy replied. "The time to have better developed my shooting skill was yesterday."

"But you did not have a pistol to use and Lord Danby would not even let you near a sword, let alone a pistol," Arthur observed, in his brother's own defense. He was, seemingly, a very good spare, with a healthy dose of brotherly affection. "Trevor would not leave me. I told him he could, for Lord Danby would never let more than one of us out of is sight."

Which had been the way that he had controlled the situation. He always kept one brother.

As to Basildon's question, Trevor replied, "We have our tutor with us at Eton in Windsor Town, but some time ago Lord Danby tricked us into thinking he was sent for us by my grandfather. I was very foolish." Obviously, Trevor had believed him. He skipped the embarrassing details of how he'd willing tossed them into being held hostage in the most dire of conditions either had seen. Inns were dirty. And they did not have their clothes, books, horses, swords, and other such things boys enjoyed once 'on their own' or, in other words, away from their parents.

"I do not know where our nearest family is, my lord. Lord Danby was not lying that our grandfather was to go on a diplomatic mission as one of King's Council. We stay with him when not at school." He bit his lip, not necessarily wishing to betray who else had their charge one way or another.

"I understand," the Earl sympathized. It was brotherly affection that kept them prisoners. Obviously, Louis, had the situation been the same, would have left his brother Richard in a heartbeat.

"I shall write to your tutor at Eton on the morrow. Perhaps he will come to London. I expect to see the King in the coming days. Perhaps he will have an opinion as to your care, especially with your grandfather abroad in his service. You two will be welcome to stay with me as long as you like until we get you properly settled," Louis offered quietly. "I did promise that you would be under my protection," he reminded Trevor.

"I could write your father as well." He paused to see if Trevor would prefer that he did not, given the folly that ensued. "Or you could."

"Now then tell me each of your ages," Basildon urged. "Have you been to London before, or has Windsor been as close as you have gotten? When I get some time, I can show you the palace." There was some light banter to set them at ease.

"Since Danby kept you in his company, perhaps you can tell me what he has been doing since he kidnapped you. Where has he gone and who has he met with?" Danby, by keeping one boy with him at all times, had created witnesses to his every move. "His movements have been very odd."

"Thank you, my lord," he replied, and his brother echoed.

It would remain to be seen how well Basildon could keep that promise of protection. He had been close to Danby, he might yet be playing both sides, and Trevor was determined to be wiser now than he had been before.

As to their father, both brothers looked at each other.

Trevor then said, "You cannot write our father, my lord." He took a moment to think, sighing. "I believe Lord Danby first tried a different tactic to get what he wished." The let out a boy growl, "Or perhaps it should be in plural." The many things he wishes through blackmailing those attached to my family.

"Lord Danby said father is dead."

Trevor snorted, "Of course he would." He turned his eyes from Arthur back to Basildon. "Our father had to hide months ago amidst rumour he was aiding Papist rebels in the north. Like any sensible gentleman in Ireland owning vast amounts of land, he knows stirring Papists only makes matters worse, stirring either for or against." Ireland would never be like England. "Not being involved does not mean that the rebels will not protect him, they will. He is not dead."

Or at least that is what he wished to believe, though it was equally likely to being dead.

"I think Danby started it to either blackmail us for money or for our votes in the Lower House or Upper House. Now he truly needs money and aide, so I believe he is attempting to blackmail us for both."

Arthur snorted, "I do not think Lord Danby realized that the Hills are English, not Irish anyway. Not even mother is Irish. Our many great grandfather went to Ireland with Essex in Elizabethan times." Basildon could likely guess one part of English where they hailed in England: the North Ridings, where Trevor had said they had property. Ironically the same place where Louis had just bought the Lord Lieutenancy.

(OOC - gonna leave this there even though I didn't answer your last two bits. It'll be information overload with too much disjointed conversation if I don't We can circle around back to the rest if it doesn't get answered)

It was an interesting tale that the boys spun. The fact that Danby would stoop to such things was a great surprise to him. Surely Osborne had wealth enough to avoid kidnap and blackmail of heirs. That was the sort of thing for lesser men to do. Even if the former Lord Treasurer was short on coin, there were other ways to get it surely. He knew Danby to be arrogant and untrustworthy, but kidnapping heirs with lies and schemes seemed something that only Lauderdale would do.

He still awaited the boys to reveal their age. Trevor seemed mature, so perhaps he was older than imagined by his looks.

"I certainly hope that your father is still alive," Louis encouraged. The strategy with the boys was obvious to him. He was to be kind and understanding, earning their trust. If nothing else, a grateful grandfather would owe the young earl a favor and the court would think Basildon as an honorable man. That was reward enough to help the lads. Yet, there was possibility for more.

"So, rumormongers created a story that forced your father into the hills, no pun intended," he smiled. "And Danby was trying to obtain money from your grandfather or family for your safety? A most sordid tale gentlemen. I knew him to be unscrupulous, but this is downright criminal." He shook his head in an empathetic way.

"I still cannot understand why he was not traveling with a larger retinue of servants and allies. The wise move was for him to leave England and flee to the Continent, or to the Isle of Wight perhaps. What has he been doing here in England, other than moving from inn to inn? He must have had some sort of plan. Did he meet with many people? Do you know their names? If he kept one of you with him at all times, then one of you should be privy to his plans. I must say that I wonder if the man has gone mad. His actions with you and his furtive movements for the past year suggest that he is."

"More than money, although that is an immediate concern, I think," Trevor said, heaving a sigh. His mind was more fantasizing over a hot bath and a proper bed rather than talking of the man they just escaped.

"Far more blackmail than such a simple thing as money," the boy added. In truth, they were worth far more than that.

"He is a base man," Arthur affirmed. "Conniving as Papa would say."

At Louis amazement, Trevor said, "That might be a problem if he has few he can trust to be loyal. Not to mention that everything is blocked to him from what we overheard. His houses are watched or guarded outright, none shall extend him credit."

When someone so grand was implicated in treason everything was somewhat forfeit right away unless they had he king's protection. Danby had lost that and with far more than just Monmouth or stirring Papists.

"Well, I think he was attempting to blackmail himself out of such circumstances, but he had made some rudimentary thoughts of where he might go," Trevor said. "I do not know that many courtiers, my lord, only those that are close to my family, and names were not all that often used. I am just twelve, I am not allowed frequently at the palace or Lords, and Arthur is only ten."

Vast funds bought good tutors.

If not coin then Danby was seeking a way to intercede with the King most likely. Trevor seemed to support such a notion. Louis found it odd that Danby could muster no better intermediary for his potential salvation.

"Not only is he a base man, but he appears to be an unimaginative one," Basildon judged aloud. "I should hope that, were I ever to face some similar charge that I could concoct a better plan than kidnapping boys and moving from inn to inn with nothing more than meager belongings." He imagined in his mind that he would have a number of safe havens arranged. Other strategems came to mind as well.

As for the identities of Danby's accomplices, the lad had none to name. A pity. "You are only 12? You look and act older," Louis replied in a manner intended to flatter the boy.

"Was he planning to leave the country, do you know? Or was he content to visit every inn in southern England until his funds disappeared." There was a hope that it was his efforts that finally convinced Danby to leave England, thus honoring Buckingham's wishes.

"Perhaps imaginative in a way your lordship is not," Trevor replied. "Or knows things unknown to you."

He knew to whom Trevor was betrothed and his godparents and his brother's godparents. Not only that but if those with view that were Pro-Toleration were the greatest threat to Danby's policies, his family could carry every person with those views to not vote against the enemy in Danby.

Basildon had done far more than he thought, and Trevor was hesitant to clue him in to all of them, perhaps afraid that another lord might see some benefit in keeping them or seeking an unfair advantage in the same sort of way.

THe sort of advantage that went beyond the repayment of a the favor.

"Do I?" Trevor asked. He did not think so. There were a plethora of smart twelve year olds at Eton. Perhaps some English lords did not think tutors and intelligence as important as titles. Or did not want to expend money on the best of tutors.

Arthur snickered, "Our father does not think empty-headed men can run estates well."

"Or shoulder the economy and well-being of an entire county," Trevor added.

"I think he was looking to leave," Arthur said. "I think we would recall who he spoke to if we saw them again."

"Just not without securing a foothold and position first," Trevor put in.

To a pompous fellow like Louis, it was hard to imagine that anyone was more imaginative than himself. Though, when Trevor mentioned it, he had to admit to himself that the Chief Minister of England might know a thing or two more than himself. "Perhaps you are correct," Basildon replied with a show of humility. "Though it still seems odd to me."

"I will take you to the palace in due course, to meet with the King if he will permit it. Perhaps you will see people at court that visited the Earl of Danby and you can identify them for me," he suggested to the boys.

"Now then lads, there are a few things to know about me. I am the Treasurer of the Royal Household, which places me on the King's Privy Council, though my position does not require that I meet with the King. It is the King's Privy Purse that sees to royal financial needs. My position is relates more to the household and the expenses necessary to maintain an army of servants and such. The Earl of Danby assisted me in learning finance and assisted me in gaining the position some time ago. Given that I am a Kings man, I joined the Court Party and supported the Earl of Danby as Chief Minister. I know how to repay favors. As such, Danby viewed me favorably. Not long ago, the Duke of Monmouth did a silly thing which perturbed his father and Danby, rather than admitting his complicity, blamed me, which was a fabrication."

"Gentlemen, it is not uncommon for courtiers to throw another to the wolves if they can see any advantage in it, but it is foolish to throw a trusted ally to the wolves when there were others more easily to blame. There is a lesson in that for you. He knew that I was unhappy with him and, as such, did not trust me to help him in his flight. It was only recently that he reached out to me, so he must have been desperate for assistance. One does not ask favors from someone just betrayed," he chuckled. "Nevertheless, I thought it would be entertaining to see what he wanted. That was the purpose of tonight's visit. The King wants him gone from England and I helped convince him to do so this evening. He thinks I did so for the office he sold me, but that is not so. There is no friendship between us, only wariness. He thinks I came on the King's orders," Louis laughed. "I let him believe what he wanted, though I warned him I was not there at royal behest." He looked at Arthur to be sure the lad would recollect it correctly. "The ironic twist is that I was there to serve the King, so Danby would be correct in thinking I was serving Crown interests, though not in the overt manner he suspected."

"The reason I am telling you all of this is to set your mind at ease that I am no henchman of the former Chief Minister. I feel quite pleased to have convinced him to leave, and even more pleased to have rescued a pair of brothers that had fallen prey to his machinations. So, gentlemen, it was a most excellent evening."

They were nearing Somerset House. "Any questions or requests for me? I want to see that your stay with me is a pleasant one."

Arthur smiled as Basildon spoke to them of his position and what he had done that evening. He had a gentler disposition as a younger son or perhaps it was just that he was yet very young.

Trevor smiled, but it did not wholly reach his eyes. It was even a twelve-year-old burden of responsibility. He had learned things the last months. He was learning more as Basildon spoke. He knew that even a boy could be a valuable pawn if the proper people were connected through the vast patronage and alliances that families made with each other.

As to what they might request of him...

"A hot bath, if you please," was Trevor's.

"A proper bed, my lord," was Arthur's.

Then Trevor added, "And to send a note."

There was a great liklihood, in Basildon's mind, that the King would speak alone with the brothers at some point in the future. As such, it had been important to plant in their minds that, firstly, he had rescued them; and secondly, had done so in the interest of the King as opposed to the interest of Danby. One could wrongly view Basildon's actions as assisting the traitorous Lord Treasurer, as opposed to outmaneuvering him. So, the good will of youthful witnesses could be important.

"Easily granted," Louis replied as the coach entered the grounds of Somerset House. Servants met the coach and the lads were ushered into the house. Baths were ordered and guest beds were prepared for their use. He would need to inform Nicolette of their new house guests, and a servant was sent to see if she might be home and available to meet the boys.

Arthur surreptitiously looked around more than Trevor did as they entered the house. It was warm enough to be easing to anxieties. THere were no thoughts of 'well, at least it's better than an inn' for it was quite considerably more what the boys were used to in living conditions.

"I think I shall sleep the whole night through," Arthur commented.

Trevor smiled and nodded his agreement.

As if sensing the new surroundings promised more than baths and warm beds, Arthur's stomach growled loudly. Something which prodded a laugh from Trevor.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicolette had been enjoying a quiet evening to herself; which in more specific terms mean that she'd been illicitly trying on the dresses in Lisa's wardrobe.

She had to admit to herself, her cousins wife certainly knew how to shop.

It also mean that she kept her attention upon the more distant sounds in the house - ready for a quick repair of the situation the moment Louis arrived home. If he arrived home that was (he'd been gadding about with that twerp Bridget!)

It was all perfectly quiet, until rather late indeed, when suddenly servants begun to rush about opening and closing doors. Lighting fires and running baths.

"Merde! He is home!" She had to quickly get back into her own dress, giving a cursory check in the mirror checking her hair, using a little of Lisa's powder and rouging her lips before she swept downstairs like just nothing had been going on.

Louis could not claim to have been doing just nothing though. What were these boys doing here?

So it was that the Frenchwoman, who's garb was barely buttoned, and cheeks were (guiltily) flushed addressed Louis. Now what a delightful surprise Cousin, you have brought some new friends home..." folging her arms she rose an eyebrow questioningly to the Earl, best to cast the first stone, let him be the one explaining his nights goings on.

Nicolette was at home after all. He had feared that she was off seeking more lovemaking lessons and would be staying out all night.

"Ah cousin, there you are," he greeted pleasantly. Was she looking guilty? What was she about?

"May I present the brothers Hill. This is Master Trevor and this is Master Arthur. I rescued them this evening from the clutches of the Earl of Danby and I have offered them a place here until we can reunite them with their family. Gentlemen, this is my first cousin Nicolette Vauquelin. She was the most charming lady in France and now she is set to conquer London as well, with a smile."

Hearing Arthur's stomach rumble, Louis ordered a servant to bring something for the boys to snack upon before bedtime. "Danby had them running from inn to inn like servants when they are gentle bred and from a fine family," he explained to Nicci.

"Now how about that..." Nicolette replied, inwardly relaxing as it seemed he was none the wiser for her liberties taken. Turning she looked to the two young men, boys really - they looked rather messed about themselves.

"Well it it is a pleasure to meet you, Master Trevor, Master Arthur." she dipped into a curtsy to the boys, extending her hand for the proper exchange of niceties. "It sounds like you have all had some adventures this evening." Why have you been seeing Danby Louis? "Fortunate for you both that my cousin has a way of looking after young folk." I bet you did not tell Danby how you have been looking after his daughter.

"But aren’t I spoilt to now have three brave men in the house." she flashed all a grin.

Trevor was more of an age where he could begin to appreciate a pretty woman, but he was yet to have all that much interest in the fairer sex. Arthur was not old enough to have any sort of male appreciation. He just smiled as she did, thinking she looked very nice and friendly.

Both kissed her hand with courtly aplomb, contrasting significantly to their clothing and physical state.

"A pleasure," they parroted.

"Yes, quite an adventure," Trevor replied. "Though one we'd not care to repeat." He smiled.

"Brave, indeed." Arthur almost commented on the pistols being drawn but then he was not sure if you said that in front of ladies. Could it be too distressing for their delicate constitution?

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes, the best adventures are the unique ones," Louis quipped to Trevor's declared reluctance to relive the last one. He signaled a servant for some brandy. "Best we let the gentlemen follow Cook for some food and a hot bath." He was certain the boys were tired.

"Cousin we could speak briefly in the interim ..." he suggested with a look towards his library.

The boys retired, conveying their thanks.

Neither was sure which felt better, the bath or the food. It was of little consequence because they took their fill of both. A warm, squishy place to sleep with ample pillows did much to calm the adventures of the day.

(Boys are out Tee hee)

"They seem perfectly nice, I should introduce them to cousins Arthur and Charles..." Nicolette commented after the boys left, "Well not Charles perhaps - did you see how grown he's become since attending university?" She turned a smile upon Louis, then blinking, as he suggested they 'talk'.

Her instincts told her it was a trap, that he was likely to scold her for the numerous and excessive expenses of her Christmas season. Even generous Louis' had a limit. She must have reached it by now... though if not, then perhaps she buy that bracelet she'd seen in town.

"But you must be exhausted also, I know I am. I was just about to go to bed when you arrived in fact. We'll talk over breakfast no doubt." she moved to give him a good-night peck on the cheek, intent to make a swift escape.

He had not been intending to scold her on her expenditures because they were still in a pile on his private desk and he intended to read his correspondence before bed. Yet, when Nicci tried to escape, he sensed something afoot. She enjoyed his company too much to slip out when they finally had a chance to be alone. What has she done? Perhaps she had made a mistake with the King. Perhaps she had done something foolish ... . That seemed likely. Louis was a suspicious man by nature.

"Talk at breakfast? Hardly." Ordinarily the only way they would share breakfast is if she crawled into bed with him in the early morning. The next morning was to be different. He was to join the King's walk. "I will be with the King then. No, I think we need to speak tonight, though I will keep it brief." As she moved in to kiss, he offered his arm instead. His look was pleasant but it was clear that he expected her to join him.

It was a neatly done movement - so that rather than kissing his cheek she discovered herself turned to have hand upon his arm as he led the way into his office - all done with the seeming-effortlessness of a professional dancer. Louis was a very good dancer wasn't he...

Nicolette meanwhile smiled as though that had been her plan all along, that she'd just been playing hard to get. Well, maybe she had. It was flattering. This attention. Unless it ended in another evening of spankings.

"Oh yes I suppose you better tell me what you want done with these boys. How long shall they be staying with us do you think?" She was sensible enough to direct the questions towards him.

The two had been in a dance of sorts already, so the confluence of mental dance with a physical dance, of sorts, was rewarding to Louis. A dance was a prelude to a game and theirs was about to begin. Had she not acted suspiciously, he would have been happy to reveal his plan. That woud come in due course. First he had to finesse out of Nicci the reason why she was in a hurry to take her leave.

Into his library they went and he shut the door behind them, happy to pour himself and his cousin a decent brandy. He adopted a quiet voice, just in case someone was listening at the door. Buckingham likely had a spy in his household and it was possible that one of the boys was sneaking downstairs to spy.

"Oui, I shall reveal my adventure tonight, but only after you reveal your own," he announced calmly, taking a seat in his comfortable chair. She could join him at the cushioned chair across from him and next to the fireplace, or, she could sit on his desk or knee. "But first, I think you have your own disclosure to make. There is something to tell me that is difficult for you, non? Best just to be open about it Nicci. Secrets between us are not good." He really had no idea what she had done, at least at that point. Had she slept with the wrong person? Insulted the King? Misplayed some attempt at being charming? Committed him to something he would not like? Done something that might get him in trouble?