JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An unexpected visit [Dec 30th, late morn]- Xmas 1677

Duncan listened to the duke’s every word, politely keeping silent until the man finished. Buckingham spoke in generalities, not in specifics, which frustrated the Scot somewhat, but tried to not let it show. They had never met before, so the duke had every right to be wary. I wonder how many people come to him asking for money, position, an introduction, or a myriad of other things… That was not the viscount’s case, at least not that day. Perhaps he thinks I want to sell it to him, and thus he tries not to show interest.

“Your grace, I might be completely wrong, but I think we are looking at two different messages here…”, he paused for a sip of coffee. “The first, contained in the painting, I have no clue whatsoever about. Astronomy, astrology, and even alchemy are subjects of interest to me, but I fear I have never been properly trained”. Another pause, to collect his thoughts. “But I think the symbols written in such an elegant hand are a second, later message. Perhaps one meant for someone who would be interested in the painting’s message in the first place? And perhaps by studying the style itself we could find out the identity of the person who wrote it?”

It was an idea that had come to the Lowlander as he waited in the library. The message had to be for a mason. No one else would think to look for it. No one else but himself, that was. Also, the message had probably been written by a mason too.

Duncan then repeated to Buckingham what he had already told Francis. “I believe I may have three of the symbols figured out, perhaps even a fourth. YHVH is a Hebrew name for God, unpronounceable, the Jews say. The keys may represent the keys of St. Peter. The shield is that of Saint Mathew. This is the Templar cross, and then we have the word Colllgiate”.

“This is what I think, although I may be utterly wrong…” another pause for coffee. “The Tretragrammaton points us to the Creechurch Lane Synagogue in the East End. The keys may, and I stress may, point us to the church of St Peter le Poer. The shield to the church of St. Matthew on Friday Street, and the cross to The Temple. I have no idea what colllgiate means, though, unless the third l should be an e instead. Then we would be looking for some sort of institution of higher learning, like Gresham College”.

The more he thought about it, the more the Scot thought he was correct. “I believe that either by searching those five places or, perhaps more likely, the centre point surrounded by them, we will find whatever the real intended message is. I am certain that I am not the intended recipient, so due to previous discussions that Lord Kingston and I have had, I decided to bring the painting to him, and he decided to bring it to your attention. Certainly you would know better than I how to proceed”.

There. In all certainty, he knows more than he has said, which is quite prudent, but perhaps by me sharing my thoughts His Grace will share some of his…

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckingham seemed pleasantly surprised that Duncan went into pinpoint detail of his assumptions. Too many people wasted his time asking him to think for them. Regardless of whether the Scotsman was close in his conclusions or not, the man was entertaining. That alone made him worthy in the eyes of a man such as Buckingham; worthy of respect.

Sipping the coffee, the Duke made no attempt to hide his interest in the painting and the Scotsman's passion for the topic. "Tell me Lord Melville, how is it that you came to study symbols such as these?" He did not think the Scot was a Mason. He had established no signal. So, it seemed he was a knowledgeable amateur instead. George gave Francis an interested and silent look and then back at Duncan. So much was intended to be communicated in that glance, mostly about his nephew confirming the man's stature and candidacy for membership. The man's sister had married a man known to Buckingham as a Mason, so there seemed to be forces at work.

"An interesting hypothesis. Yet, when were these messages sent and what could they lead to that might still be discovered years later? Tell us, Lord Melville, what do you expect to find upon the examination of these five locations? Better yet, tell us what you hope to find."

Francis stayed silent, watching his uncle's reactions keenly but surreptitiously.

Ah, well, Melville seems to have pleased him. Francis smiled just slightly, as if to himself and his thoughts. Buckingham measured much by wits. That would bode well. For someone who had no formal knowledge, the Scot had pieced together something quite symbolic; his mind was apt enough it would seem.

Perhaps the painting will bring him to what he hopes to find, even if that was not the message in the painting at al... Francis pondered to himself. That would be quite the coincidence, and such coincidences were not coincidences but cosmically a bit more telling.

When Buckingham looked at him, his eyes flickered down like an eye nod. He had told the duke Melville had been asking about such things previously, as he had told the duke that Cumberland knew as well. That had been his own recommendation already. Francis himself did not know that Duncan's sister had married one of their own.

His Grace Buckingham seemed to relax a bit after Duncan voiced his thoughts. That is a good signal, he thought. If his words has displeased or bored the man, his manner would most probably show it. Then came the questions, questions that showed Buckingham had become interested somewhat.

“Symbols, your grace, have been used by man since he learned to draw and paint. Egypt is probably the most famous for its symbols, but every culture has had its own. Symbols are powerful on their own. They have the ability to bring forth the worst and best of man, for some reason I can’t explain. Take a national banner, a religious symbol, or a coat of family arms, for example. Do you see how much such a symbol can shape the actions of men? Wars, alliances, peace treaties… all have happened because of symbols”.

“As for these…” he pointed to the painting, “these were come upon by virtue of a religious education and a military occupation. I happen to own an abridged edition of John Foxe’s Actes and Monuments of these Latter and Perillous Days, Touching Matters of the Church. That particular edition, being a much shortened work, is illustrated with additional images. In the first chapter, which describes the martyrs of the Christian faith up to the time of Nero, the shields corresponding to the apostles can be found”. Who would have known that having a father keen on his son studying Protestant religious works might pay off one day. “The Hebrew name of God I came upon on the foreword of a Bible. I do not recall if it was a Tyndale, a Geneva, or a Bishop’s, but it alluded to the Tetragrammaton translated as the word Jehovah”.

There was a pause, and a desire for a refilled coffee cup which, alas, he had emptied already.

“As for the Templar Cross, well, I am a soldier. My library is nothing compared to yours…” the viscount moved his right hand towards the numerous rows of books around the three noblemen, “but it does contain a few volumes of interest. One or two are chronicles of the Crusades, and they remark on the Templars and the role they played then. They include depictions of their particular cross”.

The Duke of Buckingham had previously owned More’s Great House*. If such a powerful man kept tabs on such things, he would know that the Lowlander was its current owner and resident, and that the library was being carefully stocked and cared for, sparing no expense.

“The when, the what and the why of the message hidden under the white paint, its origin and intended recipient are a mystery to me. Yet, what I do hope to find, if I may call it that, is my personal philosopher’s stone. Not the one the Alchemists seek, that turns base metals into gold or silver, but rather that something, perhaps even someone, that will help turn this base metal, me, into something far more precious. In the Old Testament, the symbol for the nature of God is gold. Perhaps in that sense it is that I speak. I am not sure myself. Perhaps it is the journey that matters, not so much the destination”.

The Scotch had recently arrived to London, so he did not know that a Frenchman related to the world of books had been murdered inside the Temple. Had he known that, he would have added that bit to the discussion.

* Historical fact.

Buckingham had wanted to see if the Scot's interest came from his brother-in-law. If it did, it would mean that the Earl was putting Melville forward for membership. No matter. Duncan seemed just the sort of gentleman that would make a fine Mason, if his commentary was sincere. Based on his nephew's actions, he judged them legitimate.

"If it is the journey that is important, then I suspect this quest will likely be rewarding for you," Buckingham declared cryptically. Whether he found what the author had intended, or not, Duncan would likely find something he did not expect.

"An admirable outlook," the Duke complimented seriously. "It is always welcome to find intelligent gentlemen that seek to transcend the mundane. There are others similarly situated." His words had little to do with the painting. There were prerequisites to consider.

"So, tell me Melville, what is your first step in testing your theory? I am curious to know."

Buckingham's words echoed Francis' thoughts. He smiled some and hid it behind finishing the rest of his coffee. Some familial similarities went beyond appearances it would seem.

The younger blond stayed quiet. It was a mixture of good training as a child and sound strategy as an adult. Instead, he saw to the expected mundane tasks and gave the servant the look to refill the drinks.

“May it be so, Your Grace, may it be so”, replied Duncan to the Duke’s comment regarding the journey. “Life has a way to take one to the most unexpected of places…” like taking a Scotch to Buckingham’s Great House, “so if one does not savour the journey, one might miss some of the best life has to offer”.

The viscount would have been ecstatic had he known he was being considered for membership in the Masons. Yet, being as direct as he has, some references he just did not catch. There would be much that he would need to learn if he was asked to join. His knowledge of the arcane was close to none, his symbology was strong only regarding Christianity, and his scientific knowledge was limited to rather practical applications. But he would be willing to learn and, from the little he had read so far, he had found astronomy and astrology fascinating.

To be complimented by a man such as Buckingham was noteworthy, especially when the Duke mentioned others similarly situated. But to have the man drop the lord and address him simply as Melville was something the Lowlander noted, and tried his best to hide his pleasure at. It was not the intimacy of friends, he knew, but perhaps it hinted at an opening for a long-term relationship. Court was a dangerous place, and allies were much needed if one wanted to thrive, especially allies of ducal rank that could do what others couldn’t. Perhaps he will point me in the right direction, and this visit will be more fruitful than I dared hope? Perhaps he is one of those I seek? Perhaps…

I must find a way to thank Kingston properly. Without him, I would not be here today.

It was then that his coffee cup was refilled. As he had been focused on the Duke, and the man had signalled no servant, the Scotch surmised that it had been Francis that had taken care of it, so he directed a smile and a not towards the blonde. The brandy-laced coffee was much appreciated.

A question about what he intended to do.

“Your Grace, if you were to have a map of London, a few pins or tacks, and some thin thread, I believe we could test my theory right now. I think it is a question of locating the places I have mentioned on the map, and then use the string to connect them, probably in the pattern of a star, and look at what place or places lie in the centre. That should tell us if my ideas have any merit or not”.

Oh, Lord, may my line of thinking be the right one!

It was not everyone that had a useful map of London. Yet, the Duke of Buckingham was not just anyone. With a signal to a servant, a recent map was brought forward, along with sticking pins and string.

Buckingham was amused, interested in what sort of show Melville intended. Did he think the five points was a pentagram? And, if so, what might the Scottish lord conclude from it? "Yes, let us see what lies at the center."

OOC~

Below are links to a map of London from 1677. You can assume that this is the map that was presented.

https://mprobb.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/city_of_london_ogilby_and_morgans_map_of_1677.jpg

http://london4ever.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/City_of_London_Ogilby_and_Morgans_Map_of_1677-1024x606.jpg

Francis gave a look to the duke as Melville asked for the map and specified he was going to see what the locations looked like as points.

The younger blond was also wondering whether Melville thought it was a pentagram. Although that particular shape was not the only shape it could make that could be masonically significant. Nor did a pentagram have just one meaning.

"An impressive map," he complimented Buckingham.

Francis began looking at in, but he was looking at it in general. Now that Melville had brought up the topic, he was curious if there was anything else masonic about the layout of London.

(OOC - I don't mind if Duncan posts before me if it makes sense to do so Francis is more observing)

As the map, pins and string arrived, Duncan moved towards the closest table that would fit the map. Unrolling it carefully, and using small books to keep it flat, the Lowlander began to look for the places he thought would help them solve the riddle.

So, he stood almost still, looking at the map for far longer than he had previously thought that would be needed. His eyes dashed here and there, though, looking at street names, building names, relative locations… there was a lot of guesswork involved. Educated guesses, but guesses nevertheless.

At last, he began to place pins on the map. He had not hurried to do this, because he did not want to damage the map any more than necessary. Maps were scarce and valuable, especially good ones. He had not been able to find one that suited his purposes before, so the duke having one was a godsend.

He placed the first pin. “Temple Church is here, south of Fleet Street, near Lincoln’s Inn”. His hand moved eastwards on the map, and placed the second pin. “St. Peter Poor’s was here, between the Cathedral and the river, at the corner of Thames Street and Peter’s Hill. It burned down in the Great Fire, and has not been rebuilt. The fact that it is one of the clues leads me to believe that the clues themselves date before 1666”. If I am right on that one, that is.

“I must confess I am not certain about this location, as there are at least two other possibilities, including the Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, better known as Westminster Abbey. But I think it is this one. We can explore the others if this lead were to prove false”.

The viscount’s fingers then moved to the northeast and placed the third pin. “St. Mathew’s at Friday Street, west of St. Paul’s Cathedral”. His hand kept moving west, and the fourth pin was placed. “Gresham College, my choice for the word Collegiate, between Broad Street and Bishop’s Gate street, to the north, near Bishop’s Gate. It could also be Westminster, but it is too far, I think…”

Another hand movement, and the last pin went in. “Finally, the Creechurch Lane Synagogue, near Aldgate”.

He paused, looking at the pins. He had hoped for an almost circular pentagon, which would have made it easy to make a five-pointed star with the string. Instead…

“The five points make a flattened shape running from Temple Church in the west, to the Creechurch Lane Synagogue in the East. In fact…” the Lowlander joined three of the points with a piece of string, and they made an almost perfectly straight line. “Temple Church, St. Matthew’s and Creechurch Lane are here…” He then used another piece of string to make a second line from St. Peter’s to Gresham College. “And if we cross that line with this one…” he again looked at the map, searching for important places. Only one stood out. It was not in the spot where the lines crossed, rather it was slightly to the southeast. “If we cross that line with this one, the place we are looking for might be slightly to the north and west of the Royal Exchange, close to the corner of Princes Street”.

There, he had said it. There were too many ifs, too many suppositions, but that was his best guess.

“There is another St. Peter’s Church in Cornhill, and that is also nearby”, he pointed to the map with his finger, “but then the lines would cross here…”, he pointed to another place with his finger, and used a third thread. “It takes us farther away from the Exchange, which I somehow feel is an important point”.

What now? Will they think I am crazy? Will they think I made it all up? Duncan felt mentally drained. God’s blood! Even I think I am crazy!

"I may be totally off, and I would be grateful for any and all help".

OOC – BG: Map used, many thanks. The result was a surprise.

OOC – Francis: Well, if something comes out of this, Francis will have to join Duncan in the investigation!

OOC: If anyone cares to see what the map looks like, you can find it here

Buckingham did not seem to mind that his map was punctured with pins, notwithstanding that the parchment was quite valuable. The show to be performed by the Scotsman was too interesting to interrupt. He glanced at Francis to see if the younger man was intrigued or merely entertained.

"An interesting set of coordinates," the Duke acknowledged. "A more elementary threshold question is whether this painting meant to map London, or something in England. Thus, should the city map be used, or the kingdom map?" He did not offer an answer.

"If it marks a place in London, then the Templar mark can mean no other place; but, the rest is pure conjecture. I would not be so quick to rule out Westminster, for there are few places in England more sacred. If this draws on the ancient, then this cannot be overlooked." As for the rest, he merely grunted as if weighing what to say.

"What think you, cousin?" By that he meant Francis. To the outside world, Francis was his cousin. "Is this a cross or X in London? Has the Scot the best choices?" Having contributed a few thoughts, he preferred to hear the speculation of others.

Francis was a bit of both, although for reasons likely much different than Melville. His eyes lingered on the map long passed the interest of Melville's points.

He looked up when Buckingham addressed him.

"What I think, Your Grace, is more what I am yet wondering...these do not seem to be done by the same person, so the message would depend upon the sender. The lady who owned the house, it was an interesting auction because it was occult. This is surely alchemical. There could be many messages in here, so in deciphering it, I think who sent it is important in narrowing down meanings. Was it her, her husband, a previous owner? Was it someone who knew what these symbols are used for? How do we know some symbols are locations at all?"

Then a blond brow quirked. How much did his uncle wish him to say?

"If I were to hide something of great value, it would not be in London, too many people," he shrugged. "Unless it was not a thing, as Melville has suggested."

Duncan listened to the duke’s words with focused attention. The older man had some good points. It could be a place other than London, and the viscount could be wrong on so many accounts. In fact, the Lowlander was convinced that he was mostly wrong. Too many variables. Too many unknowns.

“You are most probably right, your grace. Yet, if it is London, I believe not only the Temple, but also the Synagogue are correct. As for Westminster, it would fit with the generally religious theme of the other places, which Gresham lacks”. It seemed that much more investigation would be in order. "St Matthew could also mean something tax-related..."

And then, Francis voiced his thoughts, and mentioned Alchemy yet again. So many symbols I know nothing of! The younger Villiers remarked on the importance of knowing who had written the message, to which the Scotch assented. Kingston had a point. If they could find out who sent the message, a lot of the guessing would be much more educated.

“If we could compare the writing on the painting with samples from likely sources we could perhaps glean a thing or two. It is an elegant hand, so from nobility, gentry or a learned person, more likely than not. Does it seem familiar to either of you? Also…”

Again Duncan paused for more coffee, which gave him time to collect his thoughts.

“What if we should not be looking at this from a geographical point of view, but rather from a hierarchical one? Is there anything known about a group of people or organizations that would be organized in three tiers, with one on the topmost level, two on the middle level, and two more on the lowest?” It was pure conjecture, of course, but Duncan found the exercise of thinking as a worthwhile one. He had approached the puzzle with a soldier's mind, and it seemed like that was not what would solve it.

And then, one more idea. He pressed a tack on the side of the painting’s frame, going for the middle of each of the five annotations. He then used string to form a pentagram using the five pins. “I wonder what would be in the centre of this…”

"Unlikely that the old woman was the one that wrote the message," Buckingham opined. He knew she was no mason, and unlikely an alchemist. "Yes, it is a mystery as to who wrote the message, and determining the intended audience." He found himself scrutinizing the canvas and frame again more closely.

"Why in a painting, as opposed to a letter? It suggests that there was no one intended recipient," the Duke speculated, "as there would be far easier ways to communicate with one person. No, this is a message of one to many; but, unless the painting was hung in a public place, how would the messenger think that his or her intended audience would see it? It could have been purchased by a private collector and locked away or destroyed." In fact, Melville now had control over whether anyone else might see the message.

"Perhaps the tax reference is to the Treasury," the older man offered, though deeming it unlikely by the sound of his voice. Rather, it was likely intended to reinforce Duncan's idea that there were many variables.

The Duke remained silent as the Scot hypothesized about a hidden organization. Melville, George thought to himself, would likely be receiving an interesting piece of correspondence soon.

Duncan tried to use tacks and string to create a pentagon upon the surface of the painting. It seemed a desperate gambit, but Buckingham watched with interest. Close to the center of the hasty pentagram was an alchemy symbol. "Gold," George supplied. It was the symbol for gold. Was that a coincidence? George thought it likely, but did not know for sure.

"Precisely, it is a bit unusual. Unless you were looking to send a message without anyone knowing there was even potential for a message. Letters, books, anything written is suspicious even when innocuous but a painting is not.It might not be a message at all. Anyone can find books of alchemy and symbols, then attempt to make use of them."

Unlike Melville, neither Francis nor Buckingham had spent any great deal of time with the painting. Francis was still thinking out loud. He smiled as Melville spoke of organizations, thinking much the same as Buckingham. He did wonder what sort of betterment the Scot expected to cultivate at that point.

"The handwriting isn't familiar to me, but I do not know that many people." Francis had not been a courtier all his life. Nor had he ever paid all that much attention to handwriting.

"Do you think someone would put a treasure map in or on a Bosch painting?" Francis asked after Buckingham identified the symbol at the center. "Gold is also associated with the sun, but I wouldn't know what that would mean."

“It could be that the intended recipient knew where the message would be hidden. If it was so, only that person would look for it. It was pure luck that I found it”. Duncan tried to recall the particulars of the auction. Who had shown interest in the painting?

“If I recall correctly, and you may correct me if I am wrong, Lord Kingston, there was an Irishman, someone who joined us on your yacht and at my house. A master O’Neil, I think. He showed much interest in this painting. He tried to outbid me, but failed.” The last was stated matter-of-factly, not with any pride for having outbid the Irishman. “He did bid some curious amounts for the painting, and I wondered then if those numbers were meant to be a message in themselves. He was sitting with master Lucas Cole. Perhaps he could enlighten us as to the man’s motives”.

Suddenly, a flash. “You also bid on the painting, did you not, my lord?” the Scotch asked Francis. The question was not meant as an inquiry. Rather, it was used as a tool to recall other details from the event.

The viscount paused, massaging his temples. He was trying to recall details of events that had happened months ago. “There was another interested party at the auction. The Duchess of Ablemarle, who was in the company of a foreign-looking man. I recall that he stood up and examined the painting closely before going back and whispering to her. She did not bid on it, though…”

Who else had shown interest? Ah, yes…

“One other asked me about the painting. The earl of Balcarres, now my brother in law, asked me why I had acquired it. He made no further comment, but it struck me as an odd question… unless he was making small talk before starting a marriage negotiation? Yet, he asked about it stating that rumour had it that I had bought it...”

There were so many variables, so many possibilities. “Yes, Your Grace. It could be almost anything. Still, a good mystery flexes the muscles of the mind, doesn’t it?” And then the duke spoke one simple word, gold.

Lord Kingston’s next words seemed to agree with the Lowlander’s far-fetched hypothesis of the Wyatt widow hiding a message in plain sight. But then he seemed to change his mind and stated that there may be no message at all. Even that is possible. Nothing can be ruled out at this point.

The mental exercise was tiring Duncan. It was not only the focusing on the painting, but also the frustration of making no advance.

Buckingham quietly observed the Scot as Duncan continued to seemingly fight the net that had him ensnared, though he sensed the man's vigor was waning. There was nothing to say at this point. Melville was speaking with Francis and, as such, it allowed the Duke to return his attention to the painting. There were several layers of mysteries contained therein. The only question to the older man was whether they were connected.

Francis tittered a bit as Melville mentioned the poetic Master O'Neill had bid on the painting. Francis would wager it was more because it was somewhat dark and macabre and mysterious than O'Neill was expecting a cryptographic or cryptogenic message! That was beyond the fact that O'Neill had never used a sign to identify himself as a freemason either.

Then Melville mentioned that he had also attempted to buy the painting. For a moment, a small blush crossed his cheeks as he thought of his particular motive for wanting to buy it.

"I had wished to buy it for His Grace," Francis confessed, glancing at Buckingham. Then he amended, "I mean, I thought he would find it intriguing and he has a great collection of artwork, not because it was particularly destined for him." And not because there had been a message in it for the duke.

"If there had been a message in it for either of us, my friend, you would not have been the purchaser," he added, with a laugh. THat should be evidence alone; if the message was for Buckingham, Francis could have bid ten or twenty times the sum.

Then again, Francis likely could have bid ten or twenty times the sum anyway if he was inclined to use his uncle's coin. He simply was not the kind to think that way, no matter that the duke took on his expenses. Nobles spent without thinking or just to prove their grandeur, not Francises. Buckingham still had some non-alchemical transformations yet to accomplish on him for that to happen.

Perhaps I should have bid more... He gave a sheepish look to the duke and shrugged.

"I do remember the foreign-looking man, but I did not mark the duchess, but she did not bid on it? I do not recall. I wonder why not if he had such interest." He knew little of the Duchess of Albemarle and looked to Buckingham to add any knowledge to the happenings.

What Duncan mentioned next was interesting. Someone commented on the fact that Melville had won the painting and was in marriage negotiations? He cast his eyes to Buckingham once more. Balcarres? Francis was not the best with court families and surely not those from outside England. "Do you know a Balcarres, Sir?" he asked, turning to face the duke fully and also so that Melville could not see that he tapped an index finger in a particular way, as if to ask if Balcarres was a mason as well.

It did not register to Francis that it was possible his mentioning of Melville had spurred that into motion.

As the Duke fell silent, and focused on examining the painting closely, Duncan continued his chat with Kingston. That gave Buckingham a certain privacy to look at the painting at his leisure.

What came afterwards was a revelation that made the Scotch a tad uncomfortable, something that could easily be seen on his face. Oh… If Francis had purposed to purchase the painting for the Duke, it meant two things. First, that the young Villiers had attended the auction on his own account, and not on the Duke’s, and second, that Francis’ personal funds had been at a limit at that particular point in time. Otherwise, Duncan would not have been able to outbid him.

“Aye", he admitted readily, "if you two had decided to purchase the painting at any cost, I would have stood no chance whatsoever”. It was true. His Grace Buckingham was known for being grander than life, and for being willing and able to spend enormous amounts of coin when it suited him. Hmm… what to do, what to do…

There were moments in life when the smallest of ideas, the tiniest of actions, could send ripples farther than anyone could imagine. Perhaps that was such a moment, perhaps not. But the Lowlander tended to do what his conscience dictated as the most honourable course of action. He had put his friend in a bit of a bind, as Francis had to confess to a failure in front of his grand cousin, and so the Lowlander felt responsible for getting him out of it.

Decision time.

“Your Grace”, the viscount turned towards the duke and the painting, bowing formally if and when Buckingham turned his way. “On behalf of your cousin and myself, I would like to wish you a most prosperous year of Our Lord one thousand six hundred and seventy eight, and ask if you do us the honour of accepting this painting as our gift to you, a token of our respect”.

Alea iacta est.

Had the Duke been present at the auction, he would have certainly acquired the painting. Yet, Villiers gave no indication of this for it would heighten its value in the mind of the Scot.

"Balcarres is a Scottish lord," Buckingham replied matter of factly as he continued to scrutinize the painting. His hand was behind his back, as if in repose. His fingers were playing a game of their own, sufficient for Frances to get confirmation of membership of Balcarres.

It was then that Duncan presented the painting as a gift. It was an inspired move. The Duke had no desire to reject the gift based upon feigned protests. No, he was happy to have it in his own possession.

"Why thank you Lord Melville. You are most generous on behalf of our cousin and yourself. This is a worthy gift and shall be remembered." He turned away from the painting, now there being no urgency to inspect it further. "Surely you do not plan to abandon your quest?"

Pulsanti Operietur

Well, at least it was established that there had been no secret arrangement and message for the Villiers duo, even if there might be a message therein. Neither man had said anything about the strange man with the Duchess of Albemarle. They might never know the intended recipient, if there had been someone specific at all.

As he pursed his lips in thought, the last thing he was thinking about was what happened next.

In fact, he lips might have parted a bit in surprise, which was as close to gaping for Francis as was possible.

Buckingham, of course, took it in easy stride, while in contrast Francis' eyes were still wide.

But Melville barely knows him...barely knows either of us!

He was still in surprise even being aware that such things must be very normal to men such as his uncle. Buckingham even replied in a princely "our" instead of "my."

"Very generous indeed, my lord," Francis added. A part of him almost wanted to hide behind Buckingham's grandeur. It was easy to let his uncle do the talking. He was still a bit stunned, although his eyes had returned to normal size.

"I surely hope not." It was only just getting interesting, and Francis could not help but trying to anticipate Buckingham's next move; after all, Melville had just made a very noble gesture to he who was set to be the next Grand Master. Then again, Melville might not get a better opportunity to forge his ins with those he was looking for, whether he realized it or not.

Carpe Diem*

(OOC - * I couldn't help myself)

Why am I not surprised that His Grace Buckingham knows who Balcarres is? The king’s oldest friend was definitely a cut above every other lord in the realm, whatever the official appointments of everyone else were.

And then, the man accepted the gift using the pluralis majestatis, and did not even feign reluctance to accept the painting. He is pleased by it. The gift had been wisely chosen. Lord Kingston did show surprise, but not disagreement, at least none that Duncan could detect. Good! Now I will have to send Kingston a fairly decent New Year's present, lest he feels slighted.

“My lords, the painting deserves an owner of far higher stature and much deeper learning than mine. His Grace has both, so it is only logical. If anything was made plain by this examination is that there is much for me to learn yet”. Duncan had entered Buckingham’s Grand House with much certainty of what he thought he knew. That was not his attitude at that point. Not by a long shot. He at least knew how little he knew, and that was an improvement.

“As for my quest, no, I am not abandoning it. If anything, I may just have found two gentlemen to guide me in it, should they wish to”. It was plain who he meant. “When I uncovered the words and symbols under the white paint, I thought it would be a quick and easy task to find their meaning. Now, I am certain it will not be…” a pause for the coffee which he found so delectable. “What I am sure of now, is that there is much I do not know, and which I am willing to learn. I also believe that learning such will make me a better person than what I currently am”.

There were, of course, other unstated motives. Duncan had long before decided that it was unlikely that he would ever become a duke. A Scotch earldom, and an English peerage might be within his ability to obtain, but more than that would require quite extraordinary events and circumstances. Thus, he needed to allies of stature outside his Scottish circle. In Duncan’s mind, that meant to be on good terms, and under the proverbial shadow of, at least one of the dukes of His Grace Charles’ three realms. Other appointees were sure to rise and fall, but dukes tended to remain solid bulwarks.

Lauderdale was not a candidate, as the Lowlander would rather poison him than befriend him. Ormonde was Irish, which made him less than ideal. Norfolk was a convert from Catholicism, and thus suspect to many. Newcastle would have been a good candidate, but the viscount had not had the opportunity to talk to him. Monmouth kept company with the Country Party but, more than that, seemed to be in bad terms with the king. York, while royalty, was Catholic, and Duncan was a staunch Presbyterian. Somerset was too young and sickly. Albemarle was a fop. The best candidate by far was Buckingham. The man is grander than life.

If the Lowlander could somehow come under the wing of Buckingham, some of his goals might be more easily attainable. Such was the nature of the patron-client relationship that had existed at least since the Roman republic. It was not that the viscount had used Francis to get to his cousin. He really liked Kingston, and hoped that a solid friendship would develop. Francis and Duncan had already had talks about getting into business together, if privateering could be called that. The viscount hoped that it would evolve into something deeper and more personal, as he had few true friends. Dundarg, Chichester, perhaps Balcarres. Now Kingston. I have not many close friends, but if I could count on them, I would be a lucky man indeed.

“So, any suggestion as to how I should proceed next would be much appreciated”.

The use of the princely "our" had been intentional. It had seemed fitting to Buckingham in that moment. He had accepted the gift as a prince might.

"A man never stops learning until he dies," Villiers declared in response to Duncan's admission. "It is wise to not abandon your quest, for who knows what may lie at the end?" Everyone loved a good mystery.

Belcarres was a leader of the Scottish masons, In fact, the Scots had been the ones to lead the Masons in 16th Century Britain. So, it was only natural that Melville would be drawn to it, at least in the eyes of the Duke.

"It may be that I shall have clues to offer, but I shall need further study of the work before I can venture one. Instead, perhaps you can offer us a clue as to your political leanings in the current situation. Are you more Court or Country Party? What do you make of all the religious intolerance?" Buckingham was using the opportunity to interview whom he expected to be the next initiate.

It is entertaining to watching the duke read someone else lessons...

Though let it not be said that it was a lesson the duke himself did not follow, for at least that one was wholly true in Francis' estimation.

Then again just because Francis might not be getting read the lesson of lifelong learning, did not mean he was not getting a different sort of lesson in watching all of this transpire. He felt strangely like the youth just of age that he looked as Buckingham artfully asked what seemed like a simple question. Francis knew it was anything but a simple question when asked by his uncle.

Buckingham measured in layers, lived in shades of grey, and painted broadly outside the lines of others, so nothing was ever simple.

A blond eyebrow arched just a bit as he turned to see Melville's response.

He could not even venture a guess as to the duke's mind. Arguments could be made for a myriad of answers being the best answer. What Francis was thinking about instead had nothing to do with Buckingham at all. Really the younger blond was thinking that while the second question seemed the more benign, it was actually the more interesting.

This is, at least, easier than my first audience with His Grace...I had nothing so interesting... Then again, Francis had been auditioning as blood, even just as a cousin, so of course it had been more nerve-wracking. Or perhaps everyone simply felt so when being grilled by Buckingham in any way. A gentle heat or a quick sear could both cook you and likely held equal anxiety.

“My resolve is strengthened by your words, Your Grace. That you feel the quest worthy of my efforts, and are willing to give advise is more than enough to keep me going”. Duncan had hoped, but had not been certain, that Buckingham would offer his help. “Any clues you were to give me would be much appreciated, Your Grace”. The duke was, after all, much more learned and cultured than the viscount.

The Lowlander then turned to Kingston. “And you, my lord, I would consider it an honour if you were to join me in this quest, wherever it leads”. Duncan was certain that Francis was as curious as himself about where things may end up.

That gave him a moment to collect his thoughts. Two questions. Two very important questions. Questions every lord in the three kingdoms had a position on, but had to be very careful on how to answer. The best answer, Duncan thought, was to be truthful. He would not have to remember lies told. He just needed to word his truth the right way.

“I am, first, a God-fearing man and, second, a true and obedient subject of the king”. There was conviction in those words. “In Scotland, the king reigns supreme, but in England Magna Carta Libertatum is statute law, and should be obeyed. I do believe, however, that it is God who appoints kings over men, as the Good Book says”* That was a far more complicated subject. “Which does not mean I consider the king infallible. His Grace Charles is a great man, or at least I consider him thus, but he bears great responsibilities on his shoulders, and is under tremendous pressures. I would definitely not want to be him”. That was certainly true. “I do love him, though, and pray for him every day”.

Had Duncan skirted the question? Not really, at least not in his eyes. He was just laid the foundation first, for what he was going to say next. “Thus, I would respond to your first question by stating that, in general terms and under most circumstances, I will support the King. Not his ministers, but the king. Still, I have a conscience, and will exercise it if and when I feel I must”.

Will that statement be the demise of my political aspirations? God, I hope not! It is merely the truth. But if it is the death of them, let it be so! I cannot be untrue to my own self.

The second question was far trickier because the Scot was Presbyterian, and non-conformists were barred from office. “As for your second question, Your Grace, my answer is a theological, not a political one. I sincerely believe that Catholic doctrine is wrong, and that the Church has been progressively enlightened since Luther wrote his Disputation on the Power of Indulgences. What theologians have rediscovered and written since, tells me that the Roman Church is utterly wrong, blind as a bat, and unwilling to change. Still…” here was what made the viscount different from most. “Still, I believe every man has God-given free will, and with that free will comes the right to be wrong. I will defend that right. In my humble opinion, I would be no better than an Roman, Portuguese, or Spanish inquisitor if I behaved otherwise”.

Again, what Duncan had just stated could put him in a serious bind. Current mood in England, or at least in London, was not to be tolerant. But he was Scotch, and Scotland was a far different creature.

What will His Grace think? And what will Kingston say? He is a gentleman of the king, and a word from him could send me packing, to live the rest of my life north of Hadrian’s Wall... or inside the confines of the Tower!

* Saint Paul's Letter to the Romans, chapter 13, verse 1.

What did His Grace think? Safe answers. The man is a politician. There were right answers and there were wrong answers; but mostly, there was in between. He was more interested in how the Scot answered the questions. As far as Buckingham was concerned much was revealed about one's personality in how one answered difficult questions.

"Prudent answers," the Duke judged aloud in response. He nodded as if in satisfaction. Absently he moved towards the painting to give it final consideration.

"Lord Melville, every man must have his quest. Perhaps you have found a worthy one." He had his back to the Scot. His arms were resting behind his back as he leaned in to examine the characters on the canvas once more. "With every quest, faith is the wellspring. This painting is full of religious symbolism married with secular science." The latter was a reference to the alchemy. "In the beginning it is best to seek out hallowed ground, for it represents the past and a place of safety from which to begin. Stone too offers a foundation to build upon. You must choose, I think, the place you are expected to visit first. Is it this synagogue, temple, or cathedral you think? Perhaps there will be something to inspire you as to the next step you should take." Villiers had something in mind and he was alluding to what was to come. A bit of mystery and secrecy went hand in hand. Whether it would help Melville get another step towards solving the riddles in the painting, the Duke doubted it. Yet, it would provide an interesting introduction in what was to come.

George turned back to face Duncan with a smile. "Or, this could just be a bit of nonsense to do nothing more than waste your time. We may be confronted with several madmen laying message upon message. Still, it is more interesting than discussing the mundane." He have a short laugh.

"I need to take my leave of you two, as I am woefully behind in my correspondence." And there are strings to pull. "Thank you again for the painting Melville, and thank you for an entertaining interlude."

He was quite curious as to where Melville would think to go next. Francis would gladly see where things might lead them, but he had a feeling it would be different for them both.

It is different to be the one who knows... It was a different experience to look from the inside to one who wished to be one of them.

Francis looked sidelong at out of the corner of his eyes at Buckingham's back. No doubt the Duke knew, or suspected, more than he shared.

A snort escaped him as Buckingham said it still might prove to be drivel.

"I shall make sure it has not consumed you ere I leave," Francis replied of the duke's mounting correspondence with a cheeky smile, bowing as his uncle left.

Once alone, he turned back to Melville and said, "That was quite a sharp move, Melville." It was said as a compliment. "Had you intended to gift it to His Grace?" Francis suspected not. An inspired moment, surely. Buckingham enjoyed and somewhat expected being treated as a prince.

Had Duncan realized that the duke considered him a politician, he would have been half appalled, half pleased… perhaps. His answers had been basically in self-defense, replies to a powerful man that could make or break the viscount with a word. Maybe with the passage of time the Lowlander would confide in Buckingham his true thoughts, but not on their first encounter.

A new question from the older Villiers. “Due to your own observations on the matter, I think I will visit the Temple first”. The viscount turned towards Francis, “or we will, if lord Kingston is agreeable”. The Scotch hoped so. “As for when, perhaps Sunday at some point”. Sunday was bound to have less people in the streets, so it could be a good day to snoop around.

“Your grace”, the viscount bowed formally as Buckingham announced he was leaving. “An honour to have met your acquaintance. I will make it a point to keep you informed on any advances regarding this mystery”. If the Lowlander was able to make headway, he would have an excuse to visit the duke on occasion.

Then Buckingham left, and the young Villiers asked his question. Duncan smiled sheepishly, and replied. “Truth be told, I had considered gifting the painting to you. But with your lord cousin taking such an interest in it, and you stating that you had wanted to obtain it for him, one thing led to another. He is certain to uncover many more of its secrets than I". So would have Francis. "Now I am left in the position of having to find another suitable gift for you, at a rather late date”. His brow furrowed somewhat, trying to come up with something in the spur of the moment. Perhaps…

Changing the subject, the Lowlander added, “will you be free from your duties to His Grace Charles at some point on Sunday, my lord? I am free all day with the exception of church, so if you have time at any point of the day, I could come by carriage and pick you up”. An opening was left so that Francis could say he was busy, if he needed it. Yet, sharing a carriage ride was far more agreeable that traveling alone, or so Duncan thought.

"Indeed, more than I as well,"Francis replied, nodding. "The proper course of action, to be sure, the Duke is accustomed to being treated in a princely manner." At least when he wasn't off playacting as a commoner.

" I think it would be odd in such circumstances to give it to me, never fear." Francis had still not internalized that being the favored cousin of the Duke and gentleman of the king made him a likely candidate for gifting...or bribery depending on th giver.

"Sunday right after chapel should be fine. I don't want to miss this little expedition. I can always try to switch with Herbert or Middl-Dorset if necessary." It was always preferable to owe cousins. "If it is this cold, not going on horseback is smart."

“Well, my lord, I am glad you approve of the action. It would not do to please your cousin, but displease you”. Indeed, it was a relief. Duncan really thought that a good friendship could evolve between Kingston and himself. The man was a lot more grounded than most other English nobles. His involvement in trading probably had a lot to do with the fact.

The day and time seemed to be set. “Sunday after chapel sounds perfect. I will make sure that some necessary implements are waiting for us in the carriage”. His reference to implements might be a tad cryptic, but he meant a shovel, a pick, a brace of pistols, parchment and quill, ink and pencil. Perhaps one or more of those would be helpful. Besides that, a basket full of cold cuts and some wine and brandy would be good. “Perhaps there is something specific you think we should take along?”

It was time to bid his leave, so the Lowlander bowed to Francis. “I now bid my leave, Lord Kingston, and may God grant us the life and sagacity to unravel this mystery. It has been a most enlightening visit, and you have my thanks. Until Sunday. then?”

OOC: Fin? It was an incredible thread!