JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Intrepid Adventurers | Westminster 2pm 30th- Xmas 1677

Hope

Sophia was no doubt taken aback by Caroline's venomous remarks, though she herself would say it was more sarcasm. The German girl pointed out defensively her bodyguard was Austrian not Spanish.

"Spaniard...Austrian...no difference. Both Hapsburgs," Caroline said the last word with utter disdain. They were the real danger to Europe not the French according to her father. Of course that he had fought them probably influenced the man's opinion.

Sophia then added her husband was not like her (Caroline's) husband.

"I should say so, mine is dead," Caroline replied, "may he rot in hell."

Anne produced a lock pick, probably looking for any distraction for the ladies to end with verbal sniping for it was plain Caroline was wound up. But something much more dramatic then took center stage as two children raced up, one of them the very girl who had pickpocketed the Duchess unless she had an identical twin. But while Caroline asked the girl a question as to why they should help Sophia it seemed decided to lash out at the child with her cane, hard enough to bring the lass down to the cobblestones. Down went the girl, who then latched on to Caroline's dress even as the younger one, a scamp of a lad begged the ladies not to hit them.

Caroline's sympathies switched in an instant seeing her friend strike a child, feeling such an action uncalled for. Moving that she would be shielding the girl at her feet she rounded on Lady Toledo.

"So is that how Spaniards treat children? Stop that!" Caroline now reached out for Sophia's wrist holding the stick, "You try and hit either one of these children again and you will need your Austrian bodyguard, I swear."

The fire in her eyes showed she meant it most seriously too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophia tried to ignore Caroline's insults, but it was difficult when her husband's country … and Don Juan's family … were being ridiculed. Had her friend had an unfortunate encounter with a Spaniard lately? Maybe the former Ambassador had tried to seduce her? She wouldn't be surprised. Ronquillo was a snake who had tried to undermine her relationship with Esteban in public and tried to convince her to spy for him. He hadn't made a pass at her, but if she had continued to visit him as he had suggested, she believed that he would have.

The blonde Baroness suppressed a chuckle when Caroline stated the obvious … that her husband was dead. If you mocked him the way you mocked Esteban, he probably killed himself. she thought. Her pleasant smile remained in place and she said nothing to the other lady's remark.

Maybe it was her frustration over Caroline's attitude that provoked her into smacking the girl with her cane, but there was a method to her madness. Lady Monmouth looked shocked and Caroline stepped in front of the two children, insulting Spain yet again. Karl moved forward, ready to defend his mistress if needed. Sophia spoke a few words to him in German, instructing him to stop the young thieves if they tried to flee. “Parents punish their children more severely for lesser offenses.”

Regardless of whether or not Caroline managed to grab her wrist, she smiled at the boy. “Do not worry. I will not hurt you. You asked for assistance, and we cannot help you if you dart away again.”

She looked over at the girl. For a street rat, she was dressed quite nicely. “You say you were trying to feed yourselves. I can give you enough coins to buy food for at least a few days.” After being pick-pocketed a few times in Italy, she had taken to wearing her coin pouch tucked into her bodice. “You just need to return what you stole from the Duchess and stay with us until the gentleman who ran after you knows that we found you.”

She smiled reassuringly. “He will not hurt you either. I promise you that. He is very kind.”

Taking a deep breath, Sophia yelled “Lord Langdon!” while projecting her powerful voice, hoping that it was loud enough to carry through the crowd.

He had thought that Mark had seen Frances, but Charles could not see his wayward ward, nor the ladies that had been across the hall.

"I cannot let her decide for herself because she is a child and children make bad decisions. She has good qualities that would allow her to make the right decision when she is older and becomes a lady, one who understands that life is no longer about childish fancies. You are starting to see that for yourself Mark because you could have attempted to escape, like a child, but chose to face reality instead. Perhaps there is hope for you one day." it was the closest thing to a compliment that the Earl would offer the young villain. At least the lad had been motivated to confront Charles out of care for his ward, as opposed to some baser motive.

"Did you see Frances just now?" Langdon asked before deciding what to do. He wanted to see how Mark reacted. It was then that there was something of a lady's shout. Did he hear his name?

Males

"First I ruined her, and then she's ruining herself? Seems you like blaming anyone other than your own self."

"Maybe I saw her, maybe I didn't. My offer still stands if you want to send your guard away." Perhaps there was a chance that Charles earlier offer might yet come through. Mark wanted a showing that Charles was not as underhanded as most adults he knew.

In all the hubbub, calling out of wares and general Christmas market mayhem -- was it a play of sound perhaps, but it seemed like his name was distantly called -- echoing directionless about the vaults of the great hall.

Females (and Tony!)

Thank heaven for the doe-eyed lady.

Caroline reached out and stopped Sophia by the wrist - Tony believed that was all that saved him from being beaten as well. "You are not my mother, my mothers dead!" he shouted at Sophia, giving a wild and desperate look to Saint Caroline of thieves as he pulled his friend to her feet.

Spluttering Frances stood, moving into the protection of Caroline's tiny shadow. "Don’t you know that Lord Langdon is very crime I came to you to try to stop!" she hollered back at Sophia, eyes deep with concern found Caroline, she was the sympathetic one, the one the young ruffians now knew they could trust.

Sophia said she did not want to hurt them, while she shouted like a trumpet for Landon’s aid. The exact person Frances did not want to see.

"Lady, you got no idea.” Frances shouted at Sophia, “He's arresting Mark!"

"that's my brother!" Tony interjected, also shouting (shrilly) in his desperation.

Frances did not stop her explanation, but continued, "This wasn't even Marks idea, I'm the one to blame for it. And if Mark in the Fleet, then what will become of me and Tony. It's bad enough that Dave is gone. We wont be able to make it without him. By the time Mark gets his court case heard, he'll be..."

Frances made a desperate petition, her eyes swinging to include Caroline and the still silent Duchess. "You don’t know the sort of men in those places. There is nothing nice about Lord Langdon to send Mark there. You've got to stop him Ladies."

"Ah. I don’t really need that money back." Anne said, "if it helps?"

Sophia's Austrian creature moved closer but luckily her friend called him off. In the combative mood Caroline was now in, she might have taken a swing at the man. At least her anger and maybe more importantly steadfast grip on Sophia's wrist seemed to change her German friend's (though the way it was going who knew for how much longer that would be true) reaction to the children. The violence was over, thankfully.

Sophia started to verbally backtrack, saying her action was no worse than many parents might have done. Before Caroline could say it, the boy promptly pointed out that Sophia was NOT their parent. Out of the mouth of babes...

The girl was now completely behind her, using Caroline as her willing shield. By now Caroline had firmly decided her sympathies were with the youngsters even if they were small time thieves. Afterall did not some of the major lords and politicians steal so much more and get away with it. Those were her father's views and she fell right in line with his.

The children both desperately wanted her help against this Lord Langdon who seemingly had seized another one of them and was going to arrest the child, even send it off to the fleet? Caroline turned to them.

"Calm down....you hear me? He will do no such thing. I will see to that. I will talk to him and I will convince him to let this Mark go. But when I do....I will want some cooperation out of you lot, do you understand?"

Anne seemed to have warmed to the childrens' plight too and even generously conceded she did not need the money back. Caroline instantly liked the woman for that and smiled at her.

"Most kind of you, Your Grace. Would that all of us could behave with such Christian dignity," she glanced at Sophia with those words.

"Will you help us convince Lord Langdon in the spirit of the season, Lady Toledo?" she decided to make a try at enlisting her friend in this now too,"Three women against one mere man, the fellow will have no chance."

She grinned mischievously at Sophia.

Sophia did not try to wrench her wrist away from Caroline's grasp. Her balance was precarious at best and if she tried it, she would probably wind up on her backside. She had not planned on frightening the young thieves, but they seemed to think she was a villain now. Until she could convince them that she was on their side, it was better to let them hide behind Caroline. At least they weren't trying to run away anymore.

“I would not know how to be a mother,” she said gently. “My mother passed when I was three. My father died a little over a year ago. I am an orphan too.” Maybe they would be more sympathetic to her now. Or perhaps she had, once again, said the wrong thing.

So there had been a third thief, the brother of the boy, and Lord Langdon had caught him. Sophia couldn't believe that he would be so cruel as to send a child to prison. The other two were probably overreacting. Yet they believed what they said. She could hear the panic in their voices.

Caroline promised that she would not let the handsome Earl lock the boy called Mark away. Sophia wondered what kind of promise she wanted in return. She would do her best to help them as well and she had not been lying when she said she would give them some money to live on. If she could, she would take them all home with her, but she didn't think that Esteban would approve. Perhaps the Queen would build her orphanage soon. Then these children and those like them would be taken care of.

Sophia smiled at Anne too when she offered to let the thieves keep the money they had stolen from her, and she grinned at Caroline's suggestion. “Of course I will,” she declared. “He will not be able to refuse the three of us.” To the children: “Mark will not go to prison. We will make certain of that.”

She glanced between Caroline and Anne and the two street rats. “Shall we go to him? He shouldn't be too difficult to find."

Frances and Tony did their best to convince, and then their would-be Savior turned her energy upon convincing her friend.

"Oh... err, okay." Tony was not sure what to reply as the lady with the stick said she was a orphan too - his eyes darted to Frances, who elbowed him, and he quickly added, "that is real sad ma'm."

He still kept out of her reach though.

"Then you must understand, that we have to stick together, or we wont make it." Frances chipped in, adding her bit to Caroline's petition towards Lady Toledo.

For her part the Duchess gave a pleased smile. "There, it all seems to be working out swimmingly." she was as much relieved that her lady friends had stopped fighting as anythign else. But these children too. They seemed to be calming. "And I'll buy us each a hot chocolate when we are done." (Anne seemed to have forgot she had no money left on her)

Frances gave the Duchess a odd look, but smiled none the less. "Thank you ladies. thank you so much. He's over that way." she was ready and willing to lead them to Charles... fully aware that it was not going to go well for her if she did that. But, she could not see Mark go to jail for her.

Males

"I have no blame," Charles replied calmly as he continued to look about for a sign that his ward was sneaking back. Come on Frances. Give yourself up. Time is wasting. "What I am guilty of is providing her with a comfortable life full of every possibility. She plays with princesses, she has every comfort and opportunity. Other girls would give anything for such a chance, whereas Frances offers ingratitude instead. She needs to grow up, and quickly. One cannot simply run away when something does not go as you like."

Though some minutes had passed, there was no sign of Frances. Charles sighed as he looked for a small figure weaving in and out of adults. He was left to consider Mark's offer. "If I accept your offer and send my men away, how do I know that you will not lead me astray, or simply run off?" The lad was showing some backbone; but, once faced with being lost in Fleet Prison, it would be easy enough to forget one's promises.

Well, well, it worked! Caroline had half expected to have to argue with Sophia to get her to throw in her lot in the upcoming attempt to convince Lord Langdon to let his prisoner go. And the Duchess was definitely sympathetic, warming to the children even offering to treat them to a hot chocolate. Apparently not all her coin had been pilfered by these youthful thieves.

"Excellent, now that we are all arrayed together against this lone fellow, let us know find him," she declared then turned to the children, well more specifically the older of the two, the girl, Frances.

"Very well, see if you can do your part now and take us to the scene of this drama, would you please? And both of you - we are serious about helping you but no tricks. You truly do not want to face me when I get angry, I assure you."

Caroline was willing to help them, but trust them? Not likely.

The children had probably never considered that some nobles were orphans too. Sophia's father had made certain that she had been well taken care of and she had made an advantageous marriage on her own. She had not had a support network of other orphans, though, and she had never felt that she had belonged with the Doolittles. In a way, these children had more freedom than she had ever had … or ever would. Still, she would rather worry about gaining her husband's trust than about where her next meal was coming from.

She nodded at the girl's words. “I understand. You are lucky that you have each other. I was thrust into a house full of strangers who resented my presence. But I made a new life for myself and you can too if you set your mind to it.”

The Duchess offered to buy them all hot chocolate when they had rescued the boy. Perhaps Lord Langdon would join them and the children would see that he wasn't the bad guy after all. And Caroline seemed to have dropped her animosity. Perhaps the young thieves had been a blessing in disguise.

“Yes, lead the way,” she echoed, “and we'll get everything straightened out.” Sophia hoped that they didn't walk too fast or she might be left behind, burdened as she was by her injured ankle.

Mark had attended enough sermons (why just the other day he'd attended a Lord Maldon's readings and then been given charity soup and food afterwards) to know that claiming to be a perfect did not fly. So as the Lifeguard claimed he was blameless he just rolled his eyes.

There was no reasonings with a man like that.

Though it did seem like Langdon was considering the offer, for he looked quite serious as he asked for a pledge. "I'd hope you to know that from what you seen of me already." Mark cited his manner thus far as his reference, "and I'll give you my word before god." Mark was on the large side for a 14ish year old, even a little plump, as not likely to slip away easily. It was not really surmising that he'd been the slowest of the three when it had come to escaping - it would surely be plain to Charles that he was the fitter and stronger of the two.

Yet before much else could be said, a well familiar voice attached to a young scruffian arrived. "There he is ladies. Arresting my good friend for no reason at all. Marks done nothing to him. Nothing at all." It was Frances, and she was pissed, her eyes flashing angrily at her warder.

Here too arrived Sophia and Caroline of who's hand Tony was holding...

(the Duchess was coming too, but mush have been delayed by some distraction.)

In Charles' mind, he was blameless. So, if Frances thought she was upset, Charles was even more upset with his ward. Being a courtier, however, he could hide it better.

Frances brought along Sophia and Caroline. That would complicate things because he could not speak as freely as he might like with the juvenile delinquent that was his ward.

"Ladies," Charles greeted the adults as they approached, careful to not include Frances in that gaze. She did not deserve the honorific. "Thank you for delivering my wayward ward back into my care."

Only then did he offer a glance to his prodigal ward. "Frances, it is time for us to go home. There are important matters to discuss." Everything was understated, there being no reason to hash things out in front of witnesses. The question was whether Frances would seek to do so. It would only serve to embarrass her, and him, if she sought to do so. Her activities were a scandal to herself and to him.

Caroline followed Frances as best she could having also to worry about leaving their handicapped companion, Sophia, behind. The little boy had decided to be bold and now held her hand as they manuvered thru the public. Caroline allowed it but kept alert to a possible pick pocket attempt, she did not trust these children even if she was taking their side.

And then there was their prey, the scarlet uniformed Lord Langdon, noble and military officer, with some boy and a soldier too. Their very appearance seemed to back Frances' story. Caroline kept on, heading straight for Langdon.

The man greeted the ladies then issued instructions to the girl. Not so fast. Caroline stepped up right to the man and smiled.

"Ahhh, Lord Langdon both a fine young noble and an striking looking soldier too. I like soldiers for, you see, my father is....well, was a soldier so I come from a military upbringing," she started.

"This young lady here is saying something about you having a mere boy, I assume this one, arrested and sent off to prison? I found that hard to believe because a gentleman soldier would not bother over such trifles. Surely, she is wrong, is she not? I am not standing in the presence of some churlish jailor, am I?"

Thankfully, the children did not take off running toward Lord Langdon, and Sophia did not fall behind. The handsome Earl did not seem surprised to see them, but greeted them politely. The boy with his hands tied must be Mark, and there was another soldier present as well. It did seem as if he was about to be hauled off to prison. Had she been wrong about Lord Langdon? Was he not as kind as she had thought him to be?

Her eyes widened when he spoke of the girl as his ward and told her that it was time to go home. So that was why she was dressed more finely than her companions. What was she doing on the street if she had someone to take care of her? Why would she leave such a comfortable life? Perhaps she had been worried about her friends? There was much more to this story than the children had told them.

Hopefully, it would all be straightened out soon.

Caroline took the lead, addressing Lord Langdon and asking for an explanation as to what was going on. Sophia had nothing to add, so she looked around for the Duchess. While the other two were talking, she could whisper to Anne about the situation at Bedlam, which she had thought they were going to discuss today anyway.

"They are not delivering me!" Frances was quick to correct - but bit her tongue then as the Gracious Lady stepped up to Langdon to make a case for Marks release. Frances thought she was making a good job of it too. Looking to Mark she mouthed the words 'don't worry' to him.

Meanwhile the Duchess had discovered that she preferred adventures that were non-confrontational. Anne deliberately dawdled looking at some pretty beads, hoping that distressing drama that was no doubt going on ahead, would be over soon! "Do these come in blue?" She held the green set to her throat and looked critically into the stalls mirror.

Sophia could see her some several yards behind them, if she wanted to leave the group she was with and go join her.

It was Caroline who spoke, with Sophia keeping a bit behind. The question was how little Charles would need to explain in order to gain the pledge of Frances and be on his way.

"This young lady," he sought to clarify in case the French woman did not understand him, "is my ward, along with her ill mother. She has chosen to shirk her responsibilities and did not come home as she should. This lad had something to do with her disappearance, and I believe that he is a pickpocket, and has been seeking to turn my ward to a life of petty crime, rather than look after her mother, as she should."

Looking at Frances, he continued "as you can understand, it is imperative that she return home with me. There is a matter of some urgency that demands her attention at home. If she promises in front of all these witnesses to never runaway from home again nor pursue any attempt at life on the streets and crime, and to accompany me home, then I shall release the lad. It is really as simple as that. She holds the key to his freedom." His voice was calm and collected, expecting that the ladies would see the wisdom of his words. Surely they understood that some unruly children decided to run away from home and that it was necessary to reunite them with their guardians at once.

Caroline could not help but notice their powerful trio had been reduced to a duo and - for once in her life - it seemed Sophia had swallowed her tongue. So it was just her to be the champion for these children. Very well, she had committed herself to this cause, best play it out.

As Lord Langdon laid out the details of this matter, at least as he wished them to believe, Caroline suddenly realized why she had so eagerly taken up Frances defense. For that girl and her were in a similar situation as she saw it. Her father had arranged then compelled Caroline to marry someone against her will. But she went along with his parental authority, with tradition and propriety as the dutiful daughter. And that had led her straight into hell on earth. Well, until she had done something about it herself.

Langdon was so certain of the justice of his cause, secure in his position of authority but what if it wasn't all exactly true as he stated? Frances was still a child and naturally enough children's views were normally dismissed. But Caroline had lived the other side of that. Obedience to one's elders had been a disaster.

"Ahhh, so you say, Lord Langdon. But I would like to hear from Frances before you go hustling her off like some runaway pet," Caroline replied.

Turning to the girl, Caroline fixed her a stern look, "So is your mother home in a sick bed awaiting your presence, probably worried about you?"

She quickly followed up with another question, "And with such a concerned guardian as Lord Langdon here, why on earth would you take up a life of thievery on the streets? Is this boy he has arrested the one who gave you that idea?"

"I am on your side, child, but be honest with me. Don't play me for the fool," she warned.

Lord Langdon explained the connection between himself and the girl, Frances. When he mentioned her sick mother, Sophia was reminded of what that quack of a doctor had told her … that the Earl had a relative who was mentally ill. Maybe if she asked, he would let her sing to this relative to see if music would soothe him or her.

He seemed a bit harsh on his ward, but she understood the ward and guardian relationship better than most. Sometimes a guardian had to be stern, as Lord Kingston had often been with her before she was wed. She doubted that Lord Langdon had ever spanked Frances. She should be grateful for that considerable mercy. Words were much less painful.

Sophia couldn't say she liked the ultimatum he gave the girl … the release of her friend if she promised never to run away again. Then again, a ward's duty was to obey her guardian, a lesson the young Baroness had learned the hard way.

Caroline had the situation well in hand, and Sophia silently applauded her for not immediately capitulating to Lord Langdon's authority and asking to hear Frances' side of the story. Glancing behind her, she saw the Duchess examining some jewelry at a stall a bit behind them. “If you will excuse me,” she said when there was a lull in the conversation, “I need to speak to Lady Monmouth. Lord Langdon, there is something I would like to discuss with you as well when you have a spare moment. There is no hurry. It does not need to be today.”

Frances was hoping against hope that Caroline would manage to convince Charles to do the right thing - and without it needing to involve her. She had no desire to return to Langdon house.

But Charles laid out an ultimatum.

Mark shook his head, don’t do it. Like many a young man he was prepared to sacrifice himself for 'the lady'.

Caroline brought her a moment, gave Frances a chance to speak up her part. "Thank you My Lady." she replied, then turned to speak. But before she could the one who'd hit her decided to leave. It did not really surprise Frances, that one had not seemed to actually care about the situation.

Again she begun her reply. "I do not want to return to Langdon house, because I am confronted with immorality with a parade of loose women in and out the front door. And I, young and impressionable." yes she was really angry at Charles, so angry she aired his dirty laundry in public. Not that he was shamefaced of his mistresses any how! (But she thought he should be.)

"As for my mother." she explained to Caroline, "she is unaware of me, her mind is gone. She has no sense of family, her body exists, but I grieved her departure a long time ago. It was after my father died I suppose, that, and what they did to her at Bedlam."

If Sophia was still listening, that might have tuged at her interest?

Confronting Charles again she said, "If you are truly only concerned for my safety, and not my inheritance you spent on titles and real estate, then put me into the custody of this fine lady. I need a woman’s guidance. I think you've even said that to me, when you hired that tavern whore to be my governess."

Yes all the dirty laundry was coming out.

Sophia withdrew, likely because she knew matters were well in hand. Charles could appreciate that. She indicated a desire to speak with him in the future, to which he replied "of course."

As for Frances, her theatrics were a further disappointment to her guardian. There would be a price to pay for this.

The Earl was not ashamed of his mistresses at all. They were a matter of public knowledge. "You are concerned about morality and you would sleep in the gutter with a boy, steal money from the innocent, and defame your poor mother?" Charles replied in a quiet rebuke, loud enough for Caroline to hear.

"This is no place to talk about such things. The mother who still remembers your name misses you. You have a man claiming to be your uncle who wants to see you. And I, your guardian, miss you too. You need to be protected from delinquency Frances. I promised the King that I would look after you, and I will. The Crown appointed me your guardian after I saved you once before from the streets and your mother from Bedlam. Now you seek to return to the sorry state of affairs in which I found you. I will not." His resolve in the matter clear. He had provided onlookers such as Caroline his bona fides as her guardian. In 17th century England, he was in his rights to exercise complete authority over the girl. The idea of giving away the guardianship to a stranger was impossible, and she should know it.

"Now then, what will it be? Mark here has offered to answer for his crimes and yours. Are you willing to let him serve his time in prison? Or will you pardon him by promising to grow up and be a proper young lady, rather than a thieving gutter rat? Will you act like a young adult or will you insist on being a child?" This was a critical juncture for Frances. He needed her to think like an adult. If she was unwilling to do so voluntarily, he would use force. She needed saving again and there was no one more passionate about saving ladies than Charles Whitehurst.

Sophia took her leave and backed off then, so Caroline was alone to face this scarlet uniformed officer and noble. She was unsure about gentleman though. And then the girl laid into him and her accusations were scathing. Alright, maybe not that scathing (though obviously to a child they were) as far as Caroline was concerned. So he had loose women, well that just made him a libertine in her view, something she also was. Her own morals were - certainly recently anyhow - as loose as his so she would be no example for this girl either.

The girl did a better job at tugging at Caroline's sympathy though talking about her mother, who while still breathing apparently was as good as dead otherwise. Caroline dearly missed her own mother, they had been closer by far than she and her father.

But her next part was something Caroline was not prepared for. The girl wanted HER (HER!) to become the child's guardian? Caroline had never had a sibling and certainly had not given birth to any offspring yet, no way did she suddenly want to raise this young lady who was certainly quite the handful.

"What?" Caroline managed to get out.

Needless to say all of the girl's defiance was only angering the man further as he heatedly engaged her in a stern rejoinder. He also declared it had been the King himself who had appointed him as her guardian. That put a whole new face on it. While Caroline did not fear this man any, placing oneself counter to royal wishes was a risky enterprise with no real gain to it.

"Now hold on, hold on here, child. I willingly took up your cause but that is a far cry from becoming your guardian. There are laws and courts and if the King made this decision then you will have no choice but to make the best of it. You cannot defy His Royal Majesty, you must realize that?" Caroline spoke to Frances.

"Besides...you asked for my assistance in rescuing the young lad here. And that is what I agreed to do," she tacked on before turning to Charles.

He already was back to his blackmail.....errr, ultimatum that he would send the boy to prison unless Frances backed down and gave in.

Caroline thought quickly....some sort of hasty compromise was needed. It came to her then.

"Lord Langdon, how about this for a negotiated treaty out of this conflict? If I promise that I will deliver Frances to your residence by the morning will you let the boy go? Show her that you can be kind as well as strict. I think it will impress her more than ordering her good companion to rot amongst rats and ruffians in a foul prison."

"Please, do a lady this small favor as the gentleman I know you are?" that was as close to pleading as Caroline was capable of.

Sophia joining Anne

Hindered by her injured ankle, Sophia was not able to move very fast and she heard Frances' next words as she turned around and began to walk toward the Duchess. So she had run away because Lord Langdon invited women to his house? The young Baroness knew of his reputation with the ladies so she wasn't a bit surprised. What did baffle her was how such a young girl knew why he invited them over. When she had been that age, she had ...

Wait.

What had Frances just said? Her mother's mind was gone, and she had been at Bedlam. That must be the woman that the phony doctor had told her about. She wasn't Lord Langdon's relative but his ward's mother. Now she knew who to speak to him about when they got the chance to converse together. If she could soothe the poor woman with her music, maybe she would improve and Frances would be less likely to run away, knowing that her mother would miss her and worry about her.

Their voices faded the further she walked and soon she couldn't hear them at all. Approaching the jewelry stall where the Duchess was peering into a mirror, Sophia stepped up behind her so that she could see her reflection. “Those beads are lovely, Your Grace,” she said. Lowering her voice, she added: “If you're still interested in what is going on at Bedlam, we should talk privately. I met that doctor you told me about.”

It was tooth and nail. Frances spat angry words at her, and Charles retaliated with words she'd never forget. One thing was certain, she could see he lost no love on her. It was as she'd begun to suspect since he purchased the Earldom for himself, he had been using her for her fathers money, and she'd been fool to think it was anything more.

It had been his parading his mistress right at the dinner table that had been the final arrow in her heart.

Somewhat desperate to find an option he would agree to (anything than return to his roof), she suggested the Gentlewoman’s house as refuge. But that did not pan out well. It was pushing Caroline too far, and Charles claimed the King himself would not allow it. "If the King cared about me he'd not have given me to you in the first place. He does not care if I rot in hell, none of you do!" tears of upset, anger and lack of options, welled at her eyes and she wiped them away.

"Mark doesn’t need answer for my crimes. I'll go to the Fleet myself thank you." Uncle, what was that about her uncle? Well she was too angry to ask him anything now.

Tony stood silent, not knowing what to do... what could he do, they’d be sending him to the Fleet too at this rate. His hand slipped from the ladys, and he looked behind him before looking back at his brother. “Run tony, run.” Mark shouted at the boy. And so he did.

At a Beads Stall

Anne turned and gave a dubious smile to Sophia, looking on past her, where the rest of them had gone. “Is it over yet?” she asked tentatively, with intents to join everyone again when it was done (Just in time to buy the childrens cups of hot cocolate) While she did not want to be part of the upset, she did want to hear of a happy resolution to it all.

“Bedlam. The doctor?” the topic of Bedlam not being in her mind at the moment, she struggled to make the mental leap, "Oh dear, they are not sending the children to Bedlam are they?"

Caroline played a potent card in asking that he do her a favor. The Earl of Langdon was especially susceptible to the wish of a lady. Yet, here, the tug was less present. He did not know Caroline at all. She was a French widow that hosted a libertine party. There was no one to vouch for her good character. Had Anne Scott asked it of him, he would have found it extremely difficult to say no. Nevertheless, he remained quiet as if contemplating whether to accept her request. Rather, he was trying to think of a diplomatic way to decline.

While waiting, Frances carried on with childish proclamations. "That is not true at all Frances," Charles replied softly, in a more friendly voice than he had mustered before.

When Mark ordered Tony to run, Charles did not care. He had no reason to arrest the youngest one. He also suspected that the young one would be back to join Mark in time.

Charles needed to defuse the situation because he did not want the intervention of a French Catholic widow. In a quiet voice he made an attempt to hold forth an olive branch. He would never send Frances to Fleet Prison. He might pretend to do so only to have her escorted home. yet, this Caroline person might think it real. Bloody French interloper.

"Frances, I care for you and you care for me. You were upset that I brought Catherine home to meet you. Bradley explained that to me. I did not do it to upset you. I thought, wrongly, you might like to meet her because she wanted to meet you. You decided to exact revenge by running away, which deeply hurt me. We have hurt each other and it is now time to go home. Come on." He was kneeling down and holding out an arm for her to come to him. "I have been very upset at you and I have everyone looking for you. It is not safe for you. You need to come home. Promise me that you won't run off again and Mark can be on his way ... looking after Tony."

Though he preferred the more authoritative way to accomplish his ends, the presence of women and strangers had complicated things. Part of him just wanted to grab her, put her under his arm and carry her back home, to lock her in her room for the rest of the season. If there were not witnesses, perhaps he would have done just that.

Sophia and Anne

Sophia glanced back toward the group she had just left and then turned to the Duchess and shrugged. “They are still negotiating. The girl is Lord Langdon's ward and she ran away because he has a habit of bringing home loose women. Lady Kendishall is handling the situation quite well. I believe they will come to an agreement soon.”

She thought it rather odd that Anne had stayed away, considering that she had an adventurous nature. Maybe she preferred to avoid confrontations. Or perhaps she didn't care for seeing children hauled off to prison. There was even a chance that she and Lord Langdon did not get along. In truth, there was nothing at all exciting about a runaway ward, which was one of the reasons Sophia hadn't felt compelled to stick around.

Now, though, she wanted to talk to Frances about her mother and tell her of her theory that music could help the insane. Maybe that opportunity would arise if the children remembered that the Duchess had promised to buy them hot chocolate.

A sparkling strand of purple and gold beads captured her attention and Sophia picked them up, turning them this way and that to watch how they glittered in the light of the sun. “No, the children are not being sent to Bedlam. I was talking about our visit there on Christmas Day. You told me to look up the doctor who specialized in mental illnesses. Well, I found him … or rather, he found me.

“Did you go to that meeting the warden invited us to?” Had Anne discovered that everything was above-board and now believed that nothing had ever been amiss? Was that why she had seemed confused by Sophia's question?

Caroline had tried her best for the girl, realizing Lord Langdon was proving to be inflexible (typical soldier), she even offered what she certainly thought was a reasonable compromise. Instead the youngster who had been holding her hand, let go and bolted on command from the older captive lad, Frances apparently saw nothing in the deal to even comment on, and worst of all, Lord Langdon completely ignored her! He only continued to speak to Frances, it was almost as if Caroline and her offer had not happened? How rude!

Caroline could stand for an argument, she even held her own in screaming matches on those rare occasions when they happened, but this.....this was insulting. So much for being nice, pleading even. Her eyes narrowed in a glare.

"Very well then, if I am no longer even considered worthy of being a part of this discussion, I shall take the hint and withdraw," she announced, an edge to her tone.

"Frances, I tried....I wish you well in your future," she glanced to the girl before turning her ire back to Charles.

"And as for you, Lord Langdon, you may be a soldier though perhaps jailer might be a career better suited to your nature? However, you are no gentleman. I will not forget this, of that you can be certain. And, I do know powerful men in high places, all of whom I shall do my very best to influence against you," she stated icily.

Charles, Mark, a guard, Caroline & Frances

When it came down to it she had no other choice. Really, she'd known that Charles would not consider the gentle ladies offer, known he'd not compromise.

"Thank you." Frances lashes were clumped as she impressed those words with emphasis upon Caroline, "you have helped, you saved my friend." She wanted Caroline to know that before she left.

"All right." legally smeegally, Charles ward agreed. So what if it was a lie. Rotting in the Fleet for petty crime, or burning in Hell for telling a lie - either seemed more noble than living under his roof now. She'd say whatever was necessary to get Mark his release. "I promise I wont run away again. Are you going to untie Mark now?"

[[Caroline's Exit took her nearby The Duchess and Sophia]]

Sophia & Anne

"Thank goodness for that." Anne replied as Sophia reassured her that everything was being sorted out.

But Sophia wanted to talk about Bedlam. The Duchess tried to give that topic her attention, "Yes yes I attended, it was monotonous and dull. You got the better end of the deal I think- I am sure the Dr was far more diverting?" she replied...

"Oh look." Caroline looked very upset!

Anne waved her hand with it's held beads to catch Caroline’s attention, "Lady Kendishall, are you all right?" she flicked a concerned glance towards Sophia, before starting off after the retreating lady (quite forgetting about the beads she was holding).

Sophia was about to tell her exactly what she thought of that quack of a doctor, but before she could speak, the Duchess called her attention to Lady Kendishall, who had broken away from Lord Langdon and the children. She did, indeed, look upset. “It appears that the negotiations did not go well.”

The young Baroness was not surprised. Since Frances was his ward, Lord Langdon had complete control over her and she would ultimately have to obey him. Sophia knew well how the girl must be feeling. It was frustrating not to have any freedom at all. Esteban was not as strict with her as she had expected, and for that she was grateful. Now if just she could get him to trust her enough to call off his watchdog.

She followed Anne, also forgetting she held a strand of beads in her hands. “We should get together and discuss what we've learned at Bedlam, Your Grace. Perhaps we could go ice-skating in a few days when my ankle has healed?” Skating was a bit tamer than picking locks and climbing towers, but it would still be am exhilarating adventure.

Caroline, through her own words, confirmed that she was not worthy of being part of the discussion. Charles had been growing to dislike the French. Darlene had convinced him of their perfidy until the Duchess of Savoy changed his attitude. Noni was French, and he liked her. His wife Jeanne was French, and barely tolerated her. The French tried to kill the King. The French were trying to conquer Europe. And now a Frenchwoman was displaying the lack of class that the French haughtily claimed to embrace. He was continuing his shift in views of the French from indifference to dislike.

Had Caroline been a gentleman, Charles would have had more pointed words; but, one could not do that with a lady. He preferred to have her arrested, but that would need to wait until there was a war with France. Instead, he would be the model of English courtesy.

He tipped his hat to Caroline and replied "this is a private matter madam. I shall not reply to your ... words other than to wish you a good day." Charles silently pledged to himself that he should insure that she had many bad ones, but he would not be so uncouth as to announce a threat. "Now if you will excuse us, I need to get my ward home." He then turned to ignore Caroline and return his attention to Frances and Mark.

"Very well. Untie the lad." Frances had promised. "Master Mark, I shall hold you responsible if Frances ... disappears again. You are free to go." Though tempted to speak with Anne Scott and Sophia, Charles did not move in that direction for fear that they were the intended company of the French churl.

"Frances, you are coming home with me." His tone was serious as he contemplated what punishments to mete out to the pre-teen rebel. He moved to take her to his horse intending to hoist her into the saddle so that he could ride behind her as he sometimes did. "I am very disappointed in you young lady," he stated quietly.

"And I wish you a miserable one," huffed Caroline, thoroughly disgusted with this so called officer and gentleman. There was no point anymore in being nice, the pair were now enemies.

Before she turned to leave and the man could spirit off the girl, Caroline quickly addressed the young lady, "Frances, my name is Lady Kendishall. You are a clever one, look me up sometime when you can."

It was a less than subtle message to the girl that the next time she ran away, she might just have a specific destination to locate. Caroline was determined now she'd give the girl every help she could, not simply for the child's sake but to spite that despicable Lord Langdon.

And with that she stormed off, by now pretty much upset with almost everyone.

Anne called to Caroline, approaching her with some beads or something in one hand, asking if she was alright.

Caroline turned to the Duchess, making a real effort to calm her raging temper, "No, I am not. Silly me, I thought that three of us agreed to represent those children and save them from the clutches of ....of .....that man."

She also threw a glare at Sophia. First the German lady had not shown up for her party and now she had abandoned her after agreeing to help. If this was Sophia's idea of friendship, it certainly was not Caroline's. She could almost hear her father now, 'That's what you get for befriending Germans.'

Archived