JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Return Visit (Late Morning on the 29th)- Xmas 1677

Louis Killington

The merry laughter continued until the topic changed to something more serious. The name supplied was a surprise.

"Frances Cavendish." He whistled softly in appreciation. "Always shoot high, and you have done so. I feared you might find yourself attracted to some merchant's daughter..." again. "You have the wealth already, so I agree that your match must be a political one. In your return, you will need powerful family friends. I must confess that I do not know the Duke well, so I am unlikely to be able to add my personal sway, other than to place positive rumors about you here and there that are designed to find their way back to Newcastle."

Looking about for a refill, Louis asked "how far along are you on your quest?"

The low whistle was somehow pleasing, George felt his peers acknowledgment.

"You see I am turning a new leaf in everyway." Mirtel may have even approved, but he did not pause to think of that - rather George reached for the decanter of Armagnac and refilled his fellows glass.

"And how might one go about the placing of rumours? A very appealing concept..." he pondered, and absently refilled his own glass with the Armagnac also.

"I am but upon the very first steps, with a request to call upon him politely declined. It was expected really. I would have been surprised to have any other. A further letter has been sent with greater disclosure, as yet this second has had no reply." he paused, and frowned of that. It was a good thing and a bad, the subsequent reply had not come to the Duke quickly, but then perhaps no reply would!

"You are a man proficient in strategy, do you suppose I should launch second and perhaps even third initiative, perhaps these next in different mediums?"

George refrained from speaking of the gentle lady herself, such a charming lady, pleasingly delicate - yet also robust. No, he did not tell of his affection for Frances, for he did not want Louis to think of less of him (romantics were synonymous with fools!

"Yet I do not wish to rush either he or the matter. Endurance in such things as devotion and vision, has it's own recomendation I think."

Louis nodded as his glass was refilled. It had been no surprise that the Duke had rebuffed his initial overture. "He thinks you Catholic, and rightly so. He would never let his daughter marry one unless it be royalty abroad." Though he had not expected this as a topic of conversation, Basildon's mind was cleared like a game board and a new set of challenges were studied.

"If you think like he does, you will know how best to manipulate him. His eldest married a Duke, though his second shall not, as there are no dukes left, except perhaps Arundel one day." his own sister had managed to marry a duke through an interesting twist of facts. This only served to massage his ego further as he thought about it.

"He is not replying quickly because he either is having you investigated, or he is working on another potential match that he likes better." But with whom? "Or. perhaps both." "You have not made your intention to take the Oath publicly yet, so there will be caution. Even with the Oath, there will be those that doubt its sincerity of course." The mob believed that most of the King's men were Catholics in disguise.

"New Years is upon us. I would seek him out at the Ball and other functions, subtly at first ... perhaps a nod and a raised glass from nearby, waiting to see if he invites you to approach. If not, then you engage his wife in conversation, but do not raise the issue. She will expect it but you do not unless she invites it. Only upon the next meeting do you broach it directly, having afforded the ducal couple the opportunity to proceed more cautiously. Once they see that you are respecting their caution, I think they are more likely to engage with you. They will want to interrogate you about your faith and your stay in the Tower no doubt, so you must have simple answers at the ready."

The glass was partially drained again. "Rumors take many forms. I think holiday chatter is the best as a first step. We spread word that you have come to London a new and level-headed man. We spread that you are likely to be welcomed into the arms of the King and that you have a bright future. Then is when we create gossip that the Duke is considering you for a son-in-law and how smart a union that would be. If we can get enough lips to spread it, then it can work. What better season than the holiday season for spreading rumors?" Louis laughed.

Chichester knew this man well enough to know that his advice would be good and true. Which was not to say that it came at no cost, with time and circumstance the other might gain his own return.

"Yes empathy." George gave a nod. Compassion was a mien that came naturally to him. "A point of view theoretically selfless, yet allowing insight into how to phrase ones requests. Easier done when the man is better known of course." George did not know Newcastle-on-tyne's ideals and preferences, thus had to attribute him with the generic for now.

"Perhaps I commence with releasing the rumour that I am to take the oath."

George paused, "I would wonder if the loosing of such news would spread further as a mere addendum to some more titillating fact?" he paused again of that. "Err... for instance, imagine if I were to burn my French costumes. Rumour might spread of such a strong stance, like 'have you heard the fashionable Earl of Chichester burnt his French costumes, and is to swear the oath!' Which might be far more gossip worthy than merely the last. What do you think. It would be a shocking waster of fine silks, but, I am prepared to make some sacrifice." He gave a lopsided smile at that, and topped up Louis glass.

He then nodded to Louis strategy upon the New Years celebrations, nodded slowly and sagely, allowing the theatre to play out in his minds eye.

"To not be to pushy, to provide due respect. I am after all contemplating more than a single contract with the family, this would be the beginning of a lifetime of interactions. I would want to be seen as reasonable in all things, not hasty, but earnest and above all a patriot."

"To wait until they raise the topic is truly best do you think?" George wanted to be sure he understood. Reserve such as that did not come naturally to him.

"Yes, I should think the rumor that you plan to take the oath would be worthy in passing." Louis had not known whether George had intended to do it more secretly. "An inspired idea about the French clothing," he admitted "but would it not give rise to the thought that some Frenchman had offended you and that was the sole basis for your conversion? I should think an epiphany would be better," he chuckled as he swished the drink in his glass. "Maybe you decid to melt down your Catholic medals and donated the silver to some Protestant church?" he suggested instead. "Or perhaps a grander gesture?"

"Just to clarify," Basildon sought to correct "I did not mean to wait for them to raise it. Rather, you give them one meeting free of the issue before you raise it upon your next contact thereafter. Do not give him the room to delay indefinitely. Speak of other things at the Ball and then raise the topic again early in the new year before the season ends."

"Ah yes. And it might be a touch melodramatic. I wish to avoid appearance of overreactions..." his eyebrows skewed, one up one down. Ironic gesture explanated the comment.

"Hmm, well I am upon the verge of a considerable donation to Prince Rupert, a more protestant man would be hard to find. Six thousand pounds is the figure." his eyebrows rose with that. "I got quite a surprise at the sum myself... his man, my friend, Lord Beverly advises this is the appropriate amount. I should think we all hire a man like Lord Beverly!" a laugh at that last. Cumberland must be pleased at the young mans gall if nothing else!

"Ah, yes I understand. Hah, one free meeting. The opium dens give their new customers a free sample too, it is their chance to lure the new client in. This is a business strategy you suggest, isnt it. And I, shall endeavour to be as appealing as that first pipe."

"Six thousand pounds is a grand sum of money and a worthy dowry for any lady," Basildon commented, stopping short of whistling at the amount. Frankly, he would rather keep 6000 of his own money for a dowry for his cousin, if necessary, for her to marry the right lord. "Lord Beverley must traffic with the most wealthy at court if he thinks that the right sum."

"If it were me, I would give Rupert 2000, 2000 to a very Protestant causes that can be publicized, and 2000 to the King for some minor office. Once you are a Protestant you can hold an office. having him appoint you to any office, no matter how trivial will make it seem that you have his confidence. You will be supporting our navy, the protestants and basking in the King's respect all at once. No one will remember whether you gave 2000 or 6000 to Rupert," he advised.

As for opium den's, Louis shook his head. "I avoid those places. Too depressing and too comingled with unsavory types."

"Well I suspect he would tailor the petition to suit. He is not lacking to insight, why in fact I consider it a boon from him that he requested such a ghastly amount, opportunity to make an impression do not come along every day. It is not a sum to be overlooked. Why I've half a mind to increase it by a further thousand pounds. I cannot put a worth upon announcing my utter patriotism to Whitehall - all things given..."

While Louis presented another possibility. It was less black and white, less naive, as one might expect from a seasoned politician. "Hmm." The Earl rubbed his chin, and completed his glass. "This is the method of things is it?"

George had once been approached by Baptist May, but the gist of the offer at the time had been completely lost of him. That he could have purchased a favour at the time, was something he'd never fully realised. Though at the subsequent St Georges day awards he personally witnessed many many elevations. At the time he'd been focused upon Mirtel, had talked to May about her, it had been an opportunity wasted on an ungrateful recipeient.

"Hmm..." he refilled Louis glass, and then his own. "This later would be done through May I assume? Or. Or might it even be a roll your own office might handle. If we may burnish two stones in a single pass..." It might gloss Louis prospects if he was seen to bring more funds to the royal purse.

Chichester did not seem of the temperament to leave his heirs much money, being so free with his money. Basildon, having grown up with modest means and having been cut off by his father, knew the value of a shilling and was more loathe to see it disappear than most lords.

"Baptist May is perhaps the most popular man this time of year. He might provide gift ideas for the King and he might be able to work some holiday magic to see the King bestow something on you in the new year." Louis was looking for a grand office this season, but the players were more than Baptist May alone.

"The positions I have to bestow are but at the clerk level, far beneath you, something more appropriate for a second son of a Baronet perhaps. You have but a couple days to scheme something. Maybe something at the Tower, which seems apropos for your stay," he chuckled. "Perhaps something like the Keeper of the swans or falcons or some such. I think there is a position that looks after the animals, which might be just the thing to impress a lady with a visit? Or perhaps you might be named the Steward of one of the King's galleries. He must have warehouses of paintings to hang somewhere." These were just quickly thought out suggestions, but might spark some interest.

"Then the question must be how to get an invite to an event he too is attending." George reasoned. As yet he'd seen the man at a total of no court events, Baptists personal calendar must be of the most exclusive sort, either than or he was taking pains to avoid the last minute rush. "Yet I am in no haste, it cannot make a good impression to be gasping at the door as the clock strikes midnight!" he laughed of that.

"Slow and steady is to be my new motto." Perhaps after the new years Baptist May would be less in demand, and George might manage a quiet conversation then.

He laughed at Louis' suggestion of possible appointments he might gain. "The irony of it is a fine thing indeed, who better to hold that spot than one who has fully enjoyed it's walks and walls." The Tower was hardly a dreary cell block, Nobles held there lived their usual lives of luxury, there being just the inconvenience of being specifically housed to dampen the shine.

"Swans, I remember hearing something of that position some years ago. Wasn't there a woman possessing that role?" Louis might recall better. There were many enough possible options.

"Ahh, may I ask how current holders of those roles are managed? Or, in real terms does one need to wait for someone to die for a spot to open up? Or would one approach the office holder with interest to purchase it from them, before approaching May and seeking the royal nod - and a further donation I suppose."

"Baptist May attends all court functions," Louis professed. "He is just hard to find. Unlike me, he is content to live in the shadows and bring little attention to himself. He is often found at the edges of a crowd. I am certain he will be at the ball on Friday."

George espoused a strategy of not trying to seek something at the 11th hour. Louis shrugged his shoulders in response. It would not have been his plan. Had he been in George's shoes, he would have cut short this meeting and gone to find May at once. There were still a couple of days left in the year to strike a deal.

"I cannot say that I know if any of these offices are vacant. If so, the King can award them. If not, you shall have to buy them from the current officeholder. A small gratutity for a royal nod would be in order."

"Then I shall look for him, not leave any stone unturned." George gave a lopsided smile as a further cluster of half formed metaphors teased at his mind. With a bit of effort he might have articulated. But instead to took another sip of the whiskey. It was not as sweet as his usual tipple, but once used to it's initial bite was easier to drink in quantity.

Steady on now George.

"One can but inquire I suppose."

They were different men, with different histories, histories that had taught them different approaches. George had learned not to rush in upon his instinct, for when he had it had never turned out well. He would take cautious steps in the future, would rather sent others ahead of himself than risk that fall again himself. George had learnt how vulnerable sanity was, how easily it could slip away, and he never wanted to be on that cliff peering into the abyss again.

"Have I heard correctly that you are a Tennis player?" change of topic. George would like to set up a time to knock about socially some time, and perhaps? "The Kings court is covered. I am a bit out of practise, but..."

George seemed committed to seek out May. That was good.

The topic turned to tennis. "Ah, so the acclaim for my skill is spreading," he replied with a pleased smile. "I have the skill, but do we have the opportunity I wonder?" There was an indoor court that was immune to the snow. "Perhaps that is a way to sober from a night or two of New year's revelry.

I could use a bit of vigorous sport."

"You know how court loves to gossip..." George huffed a laugh of that.

Louis seemed agreeable to the idea, which was grand. "Shall we meet up there Monday morning, see if the court is open for play - and if not we could carry on to the billiards room at the place. Ah....actually." he paused, and added, "I’ve not heard of you having any prowess at billiards, so perhaps we should strike that first!"

"Not too early," Basildon cautioned. Like most nobles, he was not a morning person.

"Fair enough, I have no notoriety for billiards. Am I to wonder if that is your secret strength?" he jested. After that, perhaps a rigorous game of tennis." It seemed as though they had adequate plans for Monday. "Shall we meet in the billiards room?"

"Say eleven." Not too early for Louis then, though no doubt he was as apt to attend His Majesties dawn walks in the springtime as anyone else. But this was winter, and a holiday season no less, indulging in luxuries such as a late breakfast in bed was one of life’s little joys.

"Lets keep my secret strengths out of this." he laughed as he agreed to their meeting place.

"Ha, but that reminds me of the painting I shall create." he smiled remember the concept, and minds visualisation they'd come up with - a broad smile upon his face at the prospect of painting it. With a nod that held thanks he then uttered, "Fine things are ahead. May I hope that come Monday we’ve further cause for celebration upon your own acceleration.”

"I find that agreeable. Very well then, I shall be mum on your secrets strengths," he chuckled in return, still wondering what they might be. "Let us not limit our celebrations to Monday alone. Let us experience a victory each day of the holiday shall we?" he continued in a light manner.

"I had best be on my way. There are other plans and plots that await me, so I shall take my leave. Thank you for the hospitality." With that, Basildon got to his feet and prepared to take his leave.

"I can second that nomination." George agreed with a easy smile, getting up to his feet with his guest.

"Kicking it off I've a sense of achievement here today. Jolly good of you to come over Basildon." the Earl slid his hands into pockets of his house coat, while his servant assisted Louis with cloak and hat. A chap had to admit to himself, that Louis was a handsome devil. (Though those were thoughts he'd ever keep to himself.)

"Until anon."

He farewelled his important guest.

OOC: Fin !

thanks for the thread

Archived