JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Morning Mischief | 30/12, morning- Xmas 1677

"The change is... abrupt, yes. It takes some getting used to," Charles agreed of the weather. "I'm fortunate that I'm fond of the cold. Reminds me I'm alive." The sharp grin he gave Sophia suggested that he rarely needed the reminder. "And cities, at least, always look better in the snow."

Smell better too.

He had to swallow a chuckle at her second request.

"That will be no hardship," he murmured. "I've always enjoyed showing it off. Only fair to warn you now. I'm immeasurably vain." A quick waggle of the eyebrows. "As for the other, we've been over that ground. I shall content myself with seeing your signal from afar and knowing the affection you hold for me."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“And I feel more alive when I am with you than at any other time,” she purred.

“Everything looks magical covered in snow,” Sophia spoke louder now. “When I was a child in Germany, it seemed like I was in an entire new world when it snowed. I used to go outside and pretend that I was Chione, the goddess of winter.” Her laugh was light and lyrical. “It sounds so silly now.”

Her voice softened again and she smiled playfully as he teased her. “I am too, so we should get along just fine unless we both find ourselves in front of a mirror and have to fight for the best position in front of it.” He was not classically handsome, but he was definitely attractive. Sophia had always been drawn to dashing rogues. Perhaps she did have a type, as he had suggested earlier.

“As you wish. I have the feeling that I will be touching my cheek a lot tonight because I will constantly be thinking of you.”

They were rapidly approaching the entrance to the garden. Sophia grasped his arm a bit more tightly, as if she never wanted to let him go. Which, in truth, she didn't.

Charles laughed merrily, eye twinkling.

"I'll confess that I meant that in a practical, rather than a romantic sense. The snow covers up all the things one would rather not see." The cold kept the worst of the human rubbish off the streets as well, but one could not say that in polite conversation. Instead Charles grinned at Sophia's revelation of her childhood antics.

"A little silly," he admitted, "but childhood is the time for silly fancies, no?" His voice dropped. "I'm sure Chione was flattered by the comparison in any case."

Their path and conversation meandered on towards the garden entrance. Charles felt Sophia's grip on his arm tighten and drew up, masking his own reluctance to part beneath a facade of amiable courtesy.

"It has been a most enjoyable morning my lady, but I begin to fear that I am keeping you from other things. I promise I shan't be offended if you have other engagements to keep."

Absently, his free hand reached up to fiddle with the fit of his cravat.

“Maybe that is why it makes everything look so magical.” Sophia shrugged. She had been shocked when she had first moved to Venice after eleven years living on an idyllic country estate in Germany. There had been so many filthy places, so many filthy people, and the stench had been nearly unbearable, particularly in the heat of summer.

All cities were basically the same in that regard, and she was so accustomed to city life now that she could ignore the more unpleasant aspects. Maybe that was why some nobles avoided London when they could. Country air was much fresher. Personally, she would rather endure the foulness of her surroundings than live secluded far away from court.

“I suppose so. Those days seem so far behind me now, and even though I didn't have a care in the world, I'm happier with my life as it now.” Knowing that Karl was listening in, she hoped that he would tell Esteban that she had told Lord Chatham that she was happy with her marriage. In truth, she was happy with her life because Charles was a part of it.

In a softer tone: “I could ask about your childhood fancies but I would rather hear about your adult fantasies.”

All too soon they reached the gates to the garden. Did she feel his arm tense or was it just her imagination? “I enjoyed myself too and now everyone who comes here today will see the bright garlands we left behind. Thank you for helping me to distribute them.”

With one last squeeze, Sophia let go of his arm. “I have to oversee the preparations for the banquet, which will probably take most of the day.” She smiled when she saw him fiddling with his cravat. “I'm sure you must have other engagements as well.” One slim hand was lifted up to be kissed. Her lips quivered slightly, the only sign that she didn't want to say farewell.

"Think nothing of it," Charles said airily, waving off Sophia's thanks with a smile. "These little fits of whimsy are good for me, I think."

The smile did not falter as Sophia detached herself from his arm, though Charles could not claim that it was effortlessly maintained.

"I suppose I have kept you from them long enough," he agreed. "As for myself, I shall occupy myself with going over the regiment's books, just to make sure that the quartermasters aren't cheating us too outrageously. Until this evening my lady."

He bent to kiss her hand in farewell.

“Then perhaps we should do things like this more often,” she whispered, mischief twinkling in her ice-blue eyes. Sophia was talking more about kissing than distributing flowers. Her entire body still tingled delightfully with pleasurable sensations, although they were slowly beginning to fade.

She wrinkled her nose at his plans for the rest of the day. They sounded dreadfully boring. How she wished she could spend the rest of the day with him so that she could distract them with more tantalizing activities.

A bright thrill rippled down her spine as he kissed her hand. She didn't want to leave him and only the thought that she would see him tonight kept tears from welling behind her eyes. Parting from him was not sweet sorrow; it was tortuous sorrow. “Yes, my lord, until this evening.” With a shaky smile, she turned away from him, indicating that her servants should proceed her with the now empty baskets. One they had passed her, Sophia glanced over her shoulder and blew Charles a playful kiss before continuing on her way.

(OOC: Finis? Thank you for a lovely thread.)

Archived