JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Morning Mischief | 30/12, morning- Xmas 1677

“I have plenty and I will pick up some more when I go to Westminster this afternoon.” Lowering her voice, she added: “One can never have too much spice in one's life.”

The actress in Sophia was unrepentantly shameless, dancing in plain view and not even attempting to hide behind her inherent nobility. Part of this was probably due to her opera training and the rest to the fancifulness of youth. With Charles, though, Sophia was not just playing a game of flirtation. She meant every word that she said. Though she fancied several gentlemen, none of them set her soul afire like the dashing one-eyed Earl.

And he set her body afire as well. She was pleased that he didn't seem disappointed in her lack of sexual prowess. Instead, she thought that he looked forward to teaching her all of the delights that she had not yet experienced. The way that beautiful blue eye flashed only confirmed her theory.

Her breath caught in her throat when his breath swirled against her ear. Her heart fluttered again and she trembled in pleasure. “Yes,” she breathed. “I will be the most enthusiastic pupil in the world. I promise that you will be very satisfied with my progress. I will make you proud of me, and who knows?” A saucy smile. “One day, the student may surpass her teacher and be able to teach him a few things as well.”

Her hand was becoming a bit bolder now and her caresses more playful. “Not to mention dangerous and expensive. And it's difficult to have a bullfight in a ballroom.” She glanced toward the gates to make sure that their verbal ruse was serving its purpose. “My secret will be revealed tonight. You will not have to wait very long.”

Sophia reluctantly removed her lips from his ear. “If Lord Buckingham attends, he can talk about politics all he wants, perhaps even with the King.” She did hope they both decided to grace her banquet with their presences, but she wouldn't hold her breath. “I do not want it to be all about politics, though. We ladies find the subject baffling.”

She grinned coquettishly. There were things more fun than this, but nothing in which they could participate with the constant threat of discovery. As his lips traveled lightly up her throat and to her ear, Sophia had to bite her lip to keep from crying out. Her hand paused for a moment and then resumed its stroking.

“If I thought we could get away with it, I would climb upon your lap and straddle you right now.” She parted her legs slightly, silently inviting him to let his fingers trail beneath her skirts. Bending her head, her lips found his throat and she suckled on it gently. “Would you like it if I marked you?” she asked shyly. “You can hide it under your cravat but we will both know that is there … a secret to be shared between us.”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Good," Charles purred out. "I will hold you to that." His lips quirked into a mirror of Sophia's own smile. "Is it not the goal of every tutor to have their pupil surpass them? Perhaps we might make it something of a final exam before your graduation. I look forward to seeing what you come up with."

It was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain his part of their deception with Sophia's hand growing ever more adventurous. It was only long experience that allowed Charles to keep a casual tone, even as his hips shifted into her touch.

"I suppose it would be, at that. It would have made for a truly magnificent spectacle, though." His voice switched to a self-mockingly pouty tone. "Just as well. I am not terribly patient." He tweaked a breast through her gown to illustrate the point.

Charles gave a genuine peal of laughter as the talk turned to politics.

"That is merely because self-important old men go to great lengths to try and make the whole business mystifying, out of the belief that mystery lends it and them a sense of grandeur. In truth, much like war, politics is based on fairly simply principles."

Her reaction to his lips was rather gratifying, almost as much as her words. Charles hissed softly before assuaging his frustration by taking Sophia up on her unspoken invitation and sliding a hand under her skirts. He stopped at her thigh, both out of a desire to tease her and the realisation that going any further would be profoundly unwise.

"You would look exquisite riding me," he told her quietly, cocking his head to bare his throat for her. "But yes, for now, let us create a secret to share."

His hand left her breast to stroke the nape of her neck.

"No shyness between us, Psyche, and no shame. Promise me that."

“I will need a lot of practice then, but only with you.” Sophia had wondered if he would just love her and leave her, but unless he was just teasing her, she gathered that once would never be enough. She doubted a single tryst would satisfy her either. Although she was not in love with him as she was with Juan, what she felt for him was much more intense than mere lust. She sincerely cared about him in a manner that she had never experienced before. It was new and exciting and wonderful.

The young Baroness was enjoying her playful ministrations as much as he was. She wondered if she could bring him to completion like this. At least then she would be able to give him a taste of what would transpire when they finally sneaked away together. His justacorps would hide the visible signs of his pleasure, although he would probably want to go home and change, which would cut their time together short. Every moment spent with him was precious to her, whether they were strolling through the garden, weaving garlands through bushes, or stealing a bit of forbidden delight as they were doing now.

Her nipples were already taut from his caresses and a bolt of pleasure shot through her as he tweaked one of them. They felt heavier than usual and strained against the bodice of her gown. “Those gentlemen do an excellent job of it.” Continuing a normal conversation was becoming increasingly more difficult. "Politics makes my head spin. I do not think I would understand the subject even if it was explained to me in simple terms. You gentlemen can have your politics and your wars. I want no part of them.”

This was not exactly true. Sophia was trying to learn more about politics now that she was the wife of the Spanish Ambassador. However, she didn't want to draw Karl's attention by expressing opinions that he would find unladylike. It was better to pretend to be frivolous.

As she had hoped, his hand snaked up her skirts, pausing on her thigh. A moan formed on her lips but she managed to swallow it. If she bit her lip any harder, she would probably draw blood. Yet still she wanted more and wriggled her hips, trying to coax his fingers higher. One touch to the pearl that was the center of a woman's pleasure would most likely send her over the edge.

“And you would look magnificent beneath me,” she whispered. His bared throat was too delectable to resist and she could feel his hand move to her neck as if to encourage her to mark him. “I will never be ashamed of surrendering to you. How can I be when it is what I want more than anything in the world?”

Taking a breath, she switched back to a normal tone. “Are you looking forward to the New Year celebrations? I have no idea what is being planned but I am certain it will be spectacular.”

Leaning toward him, she began kissing and nibbling at his throat. She had never left a mark on a gentleman before and hoped that she was doing it right,

"Well, making time for frequent lessons will be no hardship. A teacher's greatest reward is to see their students reach their potential, after all." (Charles toyed with the idea of making a pun about 'drilling her hard' but rejected it as gauche.)

Unlike Sophia, Charles was entirely familiar with the feelings he was experiencing, though familiarity did not make them any less pleasant or exciting. It was not love, that he knew. He had never found a satisfactory name for it. He found her immensely attractive, greatly enjoyed her company and would do much to ensure her health and happiness. Did he really need to define it further? It would be a finite, temporary thing, as they always were, but glorious while it lasted, and the memories would warm the cold wastelands of old age for both of them.

(You're lying to yourself a voice whispered in the back of his mind, but Charles was far too caught up in Sophia to notice, and would have ignored it even if he had.)

Her nipples had swollen under his attentions and Charles amused himself by tracing slow circles around them with his fingertips as they conversed, periodically switching buds to ensure that neither was neglected.

"Of course they do," he laughed. "They have the advantage of long practice. But I can see that the topic bores you, so we shall leave it."

In truth Charles abandoned that line of conversation purely so he could focus his full attention on Sophia's wriggling under the touch of his hand on her thigh. His nostrils flared hungrily.

"Surrender?" he asked silkily, hand moving achingly slowly up. "Unconditional, I assume, as you have not set any terms." The movement reversed and stilled. "If you're truly unashamed, tell me exactly what you want me to do to you."

Charles forced a cough to cover a groan as Sophia set about his throat, stroking her neck in encouragement.

"Good girl. Suckle a trifle more, and just a hint of tooth. That's it," he murmured, before raising his voice to answer her question.

"Oh, most certainly. I'm very eager to see what our Lady of Misrule intends, for one thing."

“I am sure that every assignment you give me will be enthralling. I can hardly wait for our first session. You will find that I have a firm grip on learning new things and I will milk every lesson for all it is worth.” To illustrate her point, Sophia gently squeezed the bulge in his breeches before resuming her playful stroking.

She sighed in pleasure as his fingers slowly encircled her nipples. How she wished she could ask him to loosen the laces of her gown so that he could fondle them without her clothing in the way. As tempting as it was, that notion was unwise. She longed to feel his bare skin pressing against hers and to touch and taste every inch of him. If fortune favored them, he would find the perfect place to stage their escape tomorrow and on New Years day, they could be entwined in each other's arms. The petite blonde was not known for her patience.

“Yes, please.” She managed to sound suitably frustrated with their current subject. Once again, her acting lessons served her well. “We should talk of more pleasant things.”

Sophia continued to wriggle. Charles certainly enjoyed teasing her. She muffled a moan against his throat as his hand finally moved higher. “Unconditional,” she confirmed. “You have conquered me completely and I am yours to plunder as you will.”

As she began to suckle on his throat, she considered how to answer his challenge. Pausing for a moment, she gazed up at him. “Right now, I would like you to caress my mound and to slip your finger inside of me and ease the ache between my thighs.” she purred.

Another breath and she spoke louder, her voice tinted with curiosity. “I asked Mademoiselle Vauquelin what she had planned and she would not tell me. I doubt I will be able to participate in any of it, but I will be content to watch.” Once again, she was playing the demure and obedient wife. Charles probably knew that she would never be content watching from the sidelines. “I hope there is something for everyone, though.”

Her mouth returned to his throat and she followed his instructions, suckling his warm and fragrant flesh more boldly and nipping lightly with her teeth.

Charles grinned hungrily at Sophia's words, hips arching up into her touch.

"So I see," he murmured. "Your eagerness to learn is most gratifying. I think I have an assignment for you now, in fact. Tonight, before you sleep, explore yourself. Learn what brings you pleasure, and tell your Stefano about it."

Charles was looking forward to consummating their relationship as much as Sophia. It was simply maddening to have to content himself with short, stolen moments like this, however pleasurable they were.

If Toledo isn't amenable to persuasion I damn well will kidnap her.

Somehow he managed to keep his frustration out of his voice as they kept up a front for the servants.

"As you wish. What would you rather discuss?"

Sophia could doubtless feel his cock twitch through his breeches as she moaned and offered her surrender. He leaned in to growl lustily in her ear, eye burning with desire.

"Firstly, if you're going to keep wriggling like that, I'm going to have to insist that you sit on my lap. Beyond that, my demands will have to wait until I have surveyed my newly conquered territories and undertaken an in-depth examination." He tweaked her nipple again, just for fun.

The combined eroticism of her actions and that purred request was enough to have him swallowing moans and twitching in his breeches again.

"Well, who am I to refuse a lady's plea?" he growled, finally deigning to show mercy and let his hand travel upwards towards the source of her disquiet. Long digits probed gently, tracing around her lips. Charles gazed down at Sophia, seeking to fix in his mind her expression as his finger slid in.

Unfortunately, there were other calls on his attention and Charles frowned and barely suppressed a sigh as he answered her question.

"You ladies do so enjoy your secrets," he mock-groused. "But I am sure the Mademoiselle will do well. She strikes me as having an adventurous spirit and a healthy sense of fun." He racked his brain for some further inanity to offer. "Do you know if any of the other Embassies are planning on taking up the Spanish gauntlet?"

How he had managed to get all of that out with Sophia suckling on his throat Charles had no idea. Cruelly (and perhaps recklessly), he added a second finger after voicing the question.

"Good girl. You learn fast."

Over the haze of enjoyment and distraction the couple might hear Sophia's maid speaking. Her voice conveyed some urgency. "I am sorry," she spoke loudly, "Lord Howard, what was it you wished of my mistress?"

The Duke's son knew by the odd announcement that something was afoot, though Anna thought herself clever. "It was quite simple. I asked if your mistress was in the grotto?" The presence of a maid and a guard convinced Henry Howard that Sophia was not likely with her husband. The guard would be unnecessary. "If you are too stupid to understand, then I shall see for myself." He was still annoyed that Sophia had not come to the assignation with him. He wished to see for himself that she was injured.

"I shall have to announce you," Anna insisted in something of a shriek. Karl stood by and did nothing to intervene, gaining a quick glare from Anna. Henry was about to push past the flustered maid but then thought better of it. "Yes, do."

Stumbling into the grotto, Anna came upon the pair. "M'lady, Lord Howard wishes to be admitted to your presence." She cast a hasty glance at Charles nervously.

Sophia already knew how to pleasure herself, which she had discovered quite by accident after an amorous dream. She did it quite often since there was no other way to satisfy her frequent desires. In fact, she had even fantasized about Lord Chatham while fondling her pearl. Still, his assignment appealed to her and would make her self-gratification much more exciting. “As you wish. When you think of me tonight, you can visualize what I am going to do.” Perhaps he would be inspired to pleasure himself as well.

Unless he found a lady to take home after her party. She didn't expect Charles to be faithful to her. That would be unfair considering that she was married and had a royal lover. However, if he did have a tryst after the banquet, she hoped it was her face he saw while in the throes of ecstasy. Perhaps he would even call out her name. 'Sophia' was popular in several countries, including England. His partner would not automatically connect it with her.

“The New Year celebrations,” she replied when he asked her what she wished to speak about.

She loved the way he pushed further into her hand and she could feel his cock twitch, as if trying to break free of its confinement. How glorious it would be to have him inside her, thrusting against her back walls. His husky voice and the passion burning in his eye sent more bright thrills coursing through her.

“If I sat on your lap,” she remarked, taking her hand away, “I would not be able to do this.” Because they were sitting beside each other, she had to reach across with her other hand in order to slide it beneath the top of his breeches. Her slender musician's fingers closed around his warm flesh and she sighed softly. “Your new territory is quivering in anticipation, eager to be claimed.”

Sophia gasped against his throat when his own hand slid upward, his fingers tracing her nether lips. One finger slipped inside her, causing her inner muscles to contract around it. Her entire being sang with the strongest and most pleasurable sensations that she had felt since she had left Madrid and her nibbles increased in intensity, partly to keep herself from crying out and partly because she wanted to give him as much pleasure as he was giving her. Her hand pulsed around his cock rhythmically and steadily.

It was harder this time to switch to a casual tone of voice, but she managed it. “I do not know,” she said in answer to his question. “They probably wish they had come up with the idea themselves. If they throw their own banquets, it might look as if they are trying to copy Spain. We are the first Embassy to host such an event, at least since I have been at court.”

Her lips returned to his neck, and when Charles slipped a second finger inside her, white hot ripples of perfect bliss undulated through her small form, an unexpected but extremely welcome climax that was exquisitely pleasurable and profound. His fingers were magical and again, she muffled her moans against his throat, her kisses and nibbles becoming more energetic. Her hand continued to squeeze his cock exuberantly.

Her rapture finally began to fade, and Sophia lifted her mouth from his throat and lightly kissed his lips. “If that was a sample of what is to come, I can hardly wait until ...”

Her sentence was interrupted by Anna's voice. Lord Howard was here? She pulled away from Charles, her eyes still glittering with desire. “I believe we are about to have company,” she whispered, squeezing his hand. There was a subtle note of panic in her voice. “I think Lord Howard knows my lord husband. It might not be wise to send him away now that he is aware that I am here. He certainly has bad timing.”

She knew she didn't have to tell him to pretend that they had just been sitting companionably in the grotto while she rested her leg. Sophia was an excellent improvisor, and by the time Anna stumbled into the grotto, she had moved to an adjacent bench, adjusted her clothing, and was sitting with her hands folded primly in her lap. Her cane rested beside her.

“It seems as if the grotto is a popular place this morning,” she said. Turning away from Anna and toward Charles, she gave him a conspiratorial grin before masking it with a cordial smile. “Do you mind if Lord Howard joins us, my lord?”

Charles hissed softly as Sophia's hand slid into his breeches, arching his hips further into her touch.

"But I see that it needs pacification," he quipped, lips curving into smirk.

It was exhilarating, sitting there, touching one another with only a short distance between them and discovery and ruin. It appealed to that dark, almost self-destructive part of his nature that gloried in risk, in dancing right on the edge of the abyss.

Still, the fun is in avoiding the fall, not inviting it.

"The point would be to be seen outdoing Spain rather copying them I think, but I take your point," he said drily, even as he added a second finger to his ministrations, baring his teeth in a wolfish grin as Sophia moaned against him.

Like Sophia his attention was caught by Anna's raised voice. He drew back, eye shining with excitement as his skewed nature acted up again.

"Absolutely dreadful," he agreed, adjusting his breeches and cravat and settling back on the bench. He crossed his legs, resting right ankle on left knee, and held his breath. Not out of nervousness, but purely because he had found it an excellent way of dealing with inconvenient erections.

Charles smiled gently at the flustered maidservant as she entered, though whether he was trying to ease her nerves or feed on them he could not say. Turning back to Sophia, he gestured airily and spoke, voice relaxed and amiable.

"Oh, not at all my lady. It would be a dreadful sin to monopolise you, and I should be delighted to meet any of your acquaintances."

Into their company came Henry Howard, Earl of Arundel. He was a handsome man and was dressed handsomely as well. There was but a momentary pause as he surveyed the couple sitting together.

"My lady." He paused to allow Charles to be introduced and gave a polite nod to Chatham. "Apologies for the interruption. I had not expected you to be with company. I shall be but brief. I had hoped to extend to you my apologies in person that I shall be unable to attend the party hosted by yourself and your husband tonight. It was kind of you to invite me."

He let his eyes wander towards her ankle and to note her cane. "Have you injured yourself Baroness?" It was the primary purpose for his intrusion after all.

Her eyes narrowed teasingly. “Or perhaps it will always remain untamed.”

Sophia, too, was attracted to danger, but she didn't think of the risks as her hand slipped up and down his cock, reveling in its warmth and texture. Maybe she would dare to pull it out and kiss it after she was done marking his throat.

“I suppose they could try to outdo Spain, but they would have to come up with something other than a banquet. I think any kind of open house would be seen as copying. It will be interesting to see if they try.”

She wasn't even certain if her words made sense anymore. Her attention was fully engaged by the exciting sensations Charles evoked in her. Soon, she could not even think at all as an excruciatingly pleasurable orgasm exploded through her young body, her excitement apparent in the enthusiastic way she writhed on the bench while continuing to nibble and kiss his neck.

Sophia wanted to give him a climax as well, but unfortunately they were interrupted by her maidservant's raised voice announcing an unexpected arrival in the grotto. How had Lord Arundul known she was here? She fancied him too and had wanted a chance to speak to him again, but not while she was frolicking with another Earl she found even more intriguing.

It seemed to her that Charles enjoyed barely escaping discovery, and she had to admit that it excited her as well. He looked as composed as she did by the time Anna arrived. Either he had been nearly caught with other ladies or he was as accomplished an actor as she.

“Very well then.” Tearing her gaze away from Charles, she glanced at Anna. “Tell him that he is

welcome to join us.”

As soon as her maidservant turned her back, Sophia smiled at Charles and impishly licked the fingers that had just been stroking his cock. By the time Lord Arundel stepped into the grotto, her hands were folded in her lap again.

“It is always a delight to see you, my lord. I would like to introduce you to the Earl of Chatham.” To Charles: “This is the Earl of Arundel.

“No need for apologies,” she told Henry. “And you are not interrupting.” A pretty pout turned down her lips at his unfortunate announcement. “Well, perhaps you do need to apologize for that,” she teased him. “I am sorry that you will not be attending. My lord husband and I will miss you tonight.”

Sophia saw him glance down at her foot. “Yes, my lord. I fell yesterday morning and twisted my ankle. I thought it had improved enough to take a stroll, but I had to stop and rest it. Lord Chatham has been kind enough to keep me company. I hope that it will be fully healed in a few days.”

"You wriggle so very prettily," Charles purred into Sophia's ear as she writhed under his fingers. "I can only imagine the spectacle when you can give full voice to your pleasure." The twitching of his member suggested that he was indeed imagining just that.

Charles was enjoying Sophia's caresses and idly pondering how to escalate further when they were interrupted by noise from the grotto entrance. Fortunate in its own way, perhaps, as he had left himself with precious little further to go under their current constraints. It was undeniably fortunate that the pair of them were creatures of uncommon nerve, smoothly and swiftly arranging themselves in much more appropriate poses. Charles grinned conspiratorially at Sophia, sensing that she, too, took a certain pleasure in teetering on the edge of disaster.

That smirk sharpened as his new... mistress? paramour? licked her fingers. Eye shining with delight, he mimicked her.

Delectable little minx.

Charles gave Arundel no especial scrutiny as he entered, merely giving an internal nod of approval for the quality of the other's tailoring and an external nod of greeting in reply to that offered by the newcomer.

"A pleasure, my lord," he said, smiling amiably as Sophia made the introductions. He made polite pretence of ignoring their conversation, only breaking in towards the end, tone now mildly exasperated.

"'Twas no hardship to offer the Baroness my company, as I'm sure you understand my lord, but frankly I had to insist she rest before she injured her foot further." He smiled teasingly. "She's as bad as any soldier I've ever met for working through pain."

Henry had recognized Anna for it had been the servant that had met with him the previous day to explain that her mistress would not be attending their assignation. It had been luck that he had happened upon Anna as he crossed the gardens. Few people were out in this weather, so it made it all the easier to have the encounter.

"Twisted ankles can be quite annoying," Arundel replied politely, making eye contact again with Sophia. "Poor timing with your party tonight and a ball tomorrow, I believe. Here's to a speedy recovery." He seemed to be a good sport about it.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance Lord Chatham. I do not think I have seen you about London in the past few seasons." It was an invitation to explain his arrival, should he choose to accept it.

“I will sing a special song just for you.”

Sophia regretted that their pleasurable interlude had been interrupted, but there was nothing either of them could do about it. The bright little aftershocks rippling through her intensified when he licked his fingers in return. Oh how she yearned to be joined with him completely and utterly! She hoped they would be able to stage their escape from her bodyguard within the next couple of days. The young Baroness could hardly wait to be alone with him and satisfy his every desire.

Lord Arundel was appealing too. The very sound of his voice brought back all the lovely things he had said and done in the cabin. Idly, she wondered if he had insisted upon seeing her today because he had not believed that she was really injured and that she had no intention of fulfilling her promise to him. Now he knew that she had been telling the truth.

She chuckled when Lord Chatham explained that he'd had to insist that she rest her foot. “I admit I was pushing myself. Her gaze met Henry's and a secretive smile turned up the corners of her lips. Passion flared briefly in her ice-blue eyes. “I am impatient for it to heal so that I can skate again.” 'Skating' had been the euphemism she had used for sex in the message Anna had given him yesterday.

“Thank you, my lord. It was indeed bad timing. I had planned something for yesterday afternoon that I was truly looking forward to and it devastated me to cancel it.” Mischief danced in her eyes. “Hopefully, that activity can be rescheduled soon. It is an opportunity I do not want to miss.”

Lord Arundel addressed Charles then, and Sophia glanced from one handsome Earl to the other. What would they do if they discovered that she fancied both ot them? Would they be angry, would they simply not care, or … would they want a threesome?

It was interesting, in an academic sort of way, to watch Sophia turn her charms on another man, Charles thought with amusement. It was well done, he supposed, though at this remove he could see that it lacked a degree of the polish, for want of a better word, of the experienced coquette. One could be forgiven for thinking it merely a result of youthful exuberance and inborn vivacity, had one not tasted the lady's true nature.

It worked well enough on you, lacking polish or no.

Well of course it did. I'm frightfully susceptible.

His expression of relaxed amiability acquired a momentary hint of sardonic amusement before smoothing once more. He gave a one-shouldered shrug and as Arundel addressed him.

"I am but recently inherited," he explained, "and have spent the bulk of the past five years on the Continent."

Young Sophia was at a point in her life that all men appeared handsome and bedworthy in her eyes. Her husband was wise to have her watched.

Henry had arrived on the scene suspicious as to Sophia's intentions of cancelling his well planned assignation the day before. Finding her in the company of Charles Audley played in to those suspicions. His well-trained eye looked for tale tell signs that they had been kissing.

Yet, Sophia played her part well enough to make him wonder. The fact that she hinted at their planned liaison the day before gave him some comfort that she had not simply found a different man toy, or a newfound zeal for her wedding vows.

"Yes, injuries are dreadfully annoying," Henry replied in an easy manner. The one-eyed courtier was a sturdy man, suggesting more martial pursuits. It was clear to Arundel that the man was no fop. "Well then, welcome to London Lord Chatham."

"It was fortuitous that I encountered you Lady Toledo yet I had best be on my way. The rest of the day is full of events." There was no real reason to stay. He had no desire to allow Chatham to think that Arundel had any interest in the blond beauty other than politeness. "I shall wish you both a good day then." With that he was ready to withdraw.

Although Sophia did think most gentlemen were handsome, she wasn't attracted to all of them. Besides for Lord Chatham and Lord Arundel, the only other man she had considered sleeping with was Lord Winchilsea, the husband of a friend. Status had nothing to do with her affections either. She thought the Duke of York was positively creepy and she had only met him once. Telling her that one should never ask questions of royalty had rubbed her the way and she hoped that their paths would never cross again.

Of course, none of these things were on her mind in the presence of the two enchanting gentlemen. Ever perceptive, she could sense no suspicion in Henry's voice or his gaze. Hopefully, he had understood her message and knew that only a stroke of bad luck had kept her away from him yesterday. She nodded at his agreement that injuries were annoying. “With your good wishes, I am certain that it will heal quickly, my lord.”

He didn't seem very interested in Charles, which was just as well. If they became friends, they might start speaking about her and end up comparing notes. "I was showing Lord Chatham the gardens," she explained after the one-eyed Earl said he was new to court. "We did not get too far before he made me stop and rest." They had actually gotten pretty far in far more pleasurable ways than strolling down a garden path.

Now it seemed that Lord Arundel was ready to take his leave. She wondered what kind of events he had planned for the day and if they included ladies. Sophia was not jealous by any means, only curious.

“Thank you for telling me that you will not be able to attend our banquet. It will not be the same without you.” Playfully, she held up her small hand to be kissed in farewell. “I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.”

Charles inclined his head and smiled in response to Arundel's welcome, still amused by the whole business of this little interlude. Idly, he assessed the other Earl. Not that different to a younger Charles really. The easy manner, the self-assurance, the bone-deep arrogance...

Even the independence of mind and habit of quarrelling with his father, if rumour is to be believed.

"Well, it has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance my lord, and I hope the rest of your day passes pleasantly. Perhaps we shall have a chance to speak again," Charles offered in farewell.

He waited for Arundel to take his leave, and smiled down at Sophia.

"You have a type my lady," he teased, before glancing around the grotto. "But is your leg recovered? It might be best if we move on too."

"A most pleasant interlude," Henry announced as he kissed the small hand offered. With a modest bow he was on his way out of the grotto, alone with his thoughts. He was eyed carefully by Anna. In response, Henry offered a small smile. The girl seemed overeager in her protectiveness.

Karl seemed distracted, though he was listening carefully to all that transpired. He doffed his hat and bowed as the Earl took his leave. The sound of footsteps crunching on the snow receded into the distance.

Sophia wondered if Lord Arundel would allow his lips to linger upon her hand, but he kissed it formally and politely. Farewells were said and then he left the grotto. Immediately, she stood up, albeit a bit awkwardly, and moved over to the bench where Charles sat, plopping down next to him.

“A type?” Her eyes narrowed playfully and she placed a hand upon his thigh again. “Whatever do you mean? He is handsome and I enjoy flirting with him.” Her voice took on a more serious note, colored with desire. “But my soul does not burn for him the way it burns for you.”

She sighed when he suggested that they depart as well. “Yes, we should probably go,” she whispered, “But … one more kiss first?” Her blue eyes were imploring. “And will you show me the mark I gave you?”

Charles curled an arm around Sophia's waist as she sat, grinning at her mock affront. He let his other hand fall to rest atop hers.

"My meaning is simple- you like dark, blue-eyed men." His eye twinkled. "But tell me more of this burning in your soul. It sounds deuced uncomfortable."

He chuckled softly at her imploring look, reaching up to gently trace a fingertip around her lips.

"Very well."

He cocked his head and loosened his cravat and collar to expose the results of Sophia's handiwork to her. He let her get an eyeful before leaning in and breathing in her ear.

"No kissing, though. We have tarried somewhat over long already."

He sat back, eye glinting wickedly, and set about reordering his appearance.

Sophia scooted closer to Charles when he wrapped his arm around her waist, leaning against him and resting her blonde head over his heart, enjoying its steady beat. “Hmmmm,” she mused, “you could be right. But are not all ladies attracted to gentlemen who are tall, dark, and handsome?” Now that she thought about it, all of the gentlemen she truly fancied had dark hair, but not all of them had blue eyes. Juan's eyes were brown.

“Oh, it is positively dreadful,” she moaned in answer to his question, trembling against him. A consummate actress, the diminutive Baroness could shiver on demand. “But it is exciting as well. The flames blaze through my soul and lick through my body.” She grinned saucily. “And only my darling Eros can quench them. I am melting for your touch.”

She closed her eyes and sighed in contentment as Charles traced her lips, drawing his fingertip into her mouth and sucking on it for a moment before letting it go. He loosened his cravat and she surveyed the mark she had left on his throat. “Does it hurt?” she asked.

To her, it looked like a beautiful red rose. Sophia did not have to make herself tremble as his breath whispered in her ear. It happened naturally.

“You are so cruel,” she pouted. He had given her a release, and she wanted to give him one. But if they lingered much longer, Karl would become suspicious. Anna, whom she believed knew what was going on, could only distract him for so long. I will make it up to him when we sneak away together.

“You will have one more kiss anyway,” she declared. Standing up, she placed her hands on his shoulders for balance and pressed her lips very gently to his eye patch.

Picking up her cane, she transferred her balance to the ribbon-covered stick, reaching out to straighten his cravat. “Shall we go then? There is something I wish to speak to you about on the way back. It concerns Ovid and Corinna and parties.”

Charles smirked in answer to Sophia's moan and shiver, hand sliding down to fondle her hip.

"But you wear your suffering so beautifully," he whispered. "I can only imagine how ravishing you'll look when you melt, as you put it."

Loosening his cravat, he leaned back and arched his head to show off his new lovebite.

"Only in the best way," he assured her, before his smirk sharpened. "But I think now you owe me the sight of something interesting. We can discuss it later."

He laughed softly at the accusation of cruelty, tapping the finger Sophia had suckled on the tip of her nose in mock admonishment.

"Immeasurably so," he agreed. "I admit that I greatly enjoy teasing you so. You pout and squirm so prettily. But for all that, I promise that once we have the luxury I will kiss every last inch of you until you beg for mercy."

His eye flashed in merriment as she kissed his eye patch. Charles laughed again as he rose.

"You're a willful little creature," he murmured. "But what have you to say on the topic of Ovid and his lady love?"

Sophia wriggled when she felt his hand on her hip. “I can endure it only because I know that there will be an end to it soon and that you will show me delights that I have never even imagined possible.” A coquettish smile curled her lips. “I cannot wait to see the look in that gorgeous eye when you spill your seed within me.”

One slender hand reached toward the mark at his throat, but she withdrew it, not wanting to cause him more pain. “You wear your suffering magnificently as well.” One pale eyebrow rose curiously when he suggested that she show him something interesting in return. Did he want her to bare part of her body? The petite blonde would have stripped for him in a heartbeat if not for the presence of Karl.

Charles also knew the risks of what he was asking, it seemed. “I will show you whatever you ask of me,” she promised, “at any time of your choosing.” She knew he would be discreet and not ask her to even give him a flash of ankle in a public place.

With a mischievous grin, she placed the back on her hand against her forehead in classical melodramatic form. “Woe is me! What have I gotten myself into, falling for a gentleman who loves to torment me?” A silvery thrill shimmered down her spine at the thought of him kissing her all over. “Then again, what you promise me will be a most exquisite torture, but I will not beg for mercy … not until you are squirming too and screaming for release.”

Sophia hadn't been certain if he would be comfortable with her kissing his eye patch, but he seemed to enjoy it. She wondered if any other women had kissed it before, or if she was the first to take that particular liberty. “And you wouldn't have me any other way,” she retorted.

Briefly, she squeezed his hand and walked toward Karl and Anna, leaning on her cane. Plucking a flower garland out of a half-empty basket, she hobbled back to the bench they had been sitting on and draped the bright bouquet across it. “Whoever comes here after us will know that this is a place of joy,” she whispered.

If he offered her arm, she would take it. If not, she would lean on her cane as they left the warmth of the enclosed space and stepped back into the snowy walled garden. Her bodyguard and servant followed a fair distance behind them with the baskets.

“Remember how Ovid worked out some signals that allowed him and Corinna to covertly show their affection at the dinner party? We could do the same at my banquet. For example, you can touch your cravat and I will think of the secret we share.” Mischief danced in Sophia's eyes. "Would you like to do something like that?"

Charles gave a low laugh, eye shining wickedly.

"My, you have high expectations for me," he murmured, lip curving in appreciation of the spectacle offered by Sophia's wriggling. "You have a vivid imagination, after all."

He shrugged at her compliment. "I try," he said lightly, reaching out for her retreating hand. He briefly pressed his lips to her wrist and then brought her fingertips to the love bite she had given him. There was no real pain, only a most pleasant ache, and Charles wanted Sophia to sate her curiosity.

He laughed again at her next words.

"You might regret promising that," he commented drily. "I am not famed for my restraint."

Her melodramatic pose prompted further amusement.

"You enjoy being tormented so. It is a perversity of nature we share," he told her. His smile grew hungry as Sophia continued. He leaned forward to whisper in her ear.

"Then we shall have to see who breaks first."

Sophia was not the first to kiss his eye patch, though she was not far from it. That particular intimacy simply did not crop up much. He said nothing in reply to her comment, merely grinning and giving her a pat on the rump before sitting back to once more adjust his cravat.

Offering her his arm as they left the grotto, Charles kept up a facade of propriety as he listened to Sophia's suggestion.

She is a delightfully innocent soul. No, innocent is the wrong word. Simple, perhaps, though not in a derogatory way. She takes a pure, uncomplicated joy in uncomplicated things, and is devoted in her pursuit of them.

"I recall," he agreed, "and it seems a good idea, as well as amusing. Have you given any further thought to it?"

“Perhaps.” Her smile was enigmatic. Sophia definitely had a vivid imagination but she didn't think her expectations were unrealistic, considering the chemistry that had always sizzled between them. High, yes, but she knew that he could meet and exceed them. Their union would be explosive and thrilling and like nothing either of them had experienced before.

Her eyes widened when Charles captured her hand and his kiss to her wrist made her entire body sing with passion. She gently traced the outline of the love bite she had given him, her eyes not leaving his face. Gently, she withdrew and pressed her fingers to her own throat, trailing them down to her cleavage before placing her hand primly upon her lap. Her eyes sparkled mischievously.

“I trust you,” she said simply. Sophia knew that he would never endanger her reputation. If that had been his intention, he would have taken her right on the bench. “I think you have more restraint than you give yourself credit for. However, I believe I will like you more unrestrained."

Charles had guessed correctly. She enjoyed being teased as much as she enjoyed teasing him. “Is that a challenge?” she whispered. “I adore a good challenge.”

She squeezed his arm softly as they strolled through the walled garden on the way to the gate that would lead them back into the garden proper. Sophia glanced back at the grotto. The long ago shouting match she'd had there with Master Cole had been completely forgotten. It had once been a place of sorrow; now it was a place of joy.

She beamed up at the handsome Earl, pleased that he liked her idea. “I thought we would choose what we would like each other to do. What kind of sign would you like me to give you to show you that I am thinking of you?”

Charles watched Sophia's fingers as they traced a path down along her throat and the swell of her breasts, his lips curving into a pleased smile.

"Lovely beyond words," he whispered, only half aware that he had spoken at all. He shook himself lightly and smirked at Sophia, reaching out to trace random patterns along her palms and the inside of her wrists.

"Oh, you will," he promised, gaze growing smoky. "Neither of us will want to leave the bed. Assuming we make it that far."

Charles gave no response to Sophia's squeezing of his arm, verbal or physical, simply maintaining his mask of polite distance. Her enthusiasm for Ovid, however, did crack that facade slightly, a happy grin quirking his lips.

"There are several things I should like to see you do when you think of me, but alas none of those are fit to perform in polite society. I suppose I shall have to content myself with asking you to signal by placing two fingers on your cheek." He looked at her quizzically. "And what wold you have me do to signal my affection?"

Every touch, however innocent, however brief, sent the most exquisite sensations searing through her veins and heating her blood. Her palms and wrists tingled pleasurably and Sophia wished nothing more than to feel his hands all over her and his lips once more pressed against hers. Hopefully, they could arrange to be alone together soon. If not, she felt she might die for want of him.

“I think we will make it to the bed, but we might make a few stops along the way, such as against the door or the wall.” His smoky gaze thrilled her and her own ice-blue eyes glittered with desire. “We will christen every part of the room.”

Sophia was finding it difficult to keep up a respectful facade because of the delights they had recently shared, but she forced herself not to walk too closely.. Squeezing his arm was not easily noticed, and while Charles didn't react, she believed that he felt that subtle gesture of fondness.

His grin melted her heart. “I shall do all of those things when we do not have to worry about being seen. Everything you ask of me will be yours.”

Sophia nodded. “Very well, that should be easy enough and will not raise any suspicions. I should like you to touch your cravat pin as a sign of your affection for me. Or would that look too odd?”

Charles chuckled softly at Sophia's response, eye dancing merrily.

"Oh my dear Psyche, you really must stop making such promises or I shall quite lose control of myself."

Their conversation moved to methods of signalling one another at the banquet in emulation of Ovid and Corinna. Charles considered Sophia's request briefly before nodding.

"I am known to be somewhat fussy. It would not be all that remarkable for me to be seen adjusting the fit of my cravat."

Walking on, Charles let his graze track around the garden.

"I do love winter mornings," he commented idly. "They always feel so... crisp." More quietly he continued. "Are there any other signals you'd like me to give?"

Sophia grinned wickedly. “That is what I am counting on.”

They walked through the gates of the walled garden and onto one of the paths leading back to the palace. Every step brought her closer to despair, for she knew that they would eventually have to part again. I will see him tonight, though, she consoled herself. And maybe he can convince Esteban to let him escort me around London sometimes instead of Karl. Then we will have the opportunity that both of us crave.

Charles agreed to her signal and she smiled happily. His comment about the morning reminded her that they needed to keep up a normal conversation for the sake of the servants. “I stayed indoors most of the time last winter because I had recently come from Venice and wasn't accustomed to the cold. Now I think I am adjusting.” Sophia was quite warm now, but the heat coursing through her body had nothing to do with adapting to the climate. “I love the snow and the icicles are so lovely glittering on the trees.”

Sophia softly stroked the fabric of his sleeve. “Yes. Tilt you head up and turn it slightly away from me so I can admire your dashing profile. Is there anything else you would like me to do?”

Archived