JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Assignation, Privy Garden, Thursdsay between 1 and 2- Xmas 1677

Davina Wellsley

As she had expected he was indeed overflowing with anger and bent upon trying her.

"Will you not then listen to what I shall offer in reply or am I to be just be found guilty?"

She continued on without looking away from the fire her voice so quiet and flat without her usual emotions. Her brother no doubt used to her temper might do well to take notice of this new aspect. It would be his clue as to how she felt.

"I went to the Duchess with the intent to refuse. Yes refuse. That it seemed somehow 'correct' that I be married of to a third son of any Peer was not a thing I will condone. She rattled on firstly upon You brother dear and how you are quite incapable of making a Mark at Court or anywhere else without the aid of Norfolk."

"How You will amount to nothing. On and on she went. Next she then told me of her precious George and that, even tho he would need to be convinced to marry any girl let alone me, she was sure it could be accomplished. I could well imagine that scene."

"I do not believe that Norfolk will abandone Henry. He will never disinherit him in favor of George. I played out a thing for the Duchess asking to look ahead when all have played Court to George thinking he will inherit and when the matter is at last decided upon Norfolk's deathbed or sooner, and George finds he's lost out what then?"

"What will happen to me, to my children, if there are any? Am I to begger myself to Henry as Duke for means to live? Can George my husband provide do you suppose? Will the Dowager lend a hand - well she might as its her precious son. I will not be the Duchess of Norfolk but remain as his cousin."

"Do you truly wish for me to live that Life? Do you? I have asked this to you once already and now it seems that I have an answer. You will sell me out for your supposed benefits."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially her words worked as intended. Richard's face flushed when she revealed the dismissive words of the Duchess. His mouth opened defensively but no words issued forth. Davina painted herself as the one that that had acted rationally in a poor situation, rather than vice versa.

Baintree remained quiet for a time, marshaling his response. It was his way in an awkward situation.

"You can't expect to be a duchess sister. It is fine to wish to marry a man with a title, but some things are worth more than titles. Being the daughter of the most affluent non-royal duke in England is worth more than being some border Baroness, for example."

"The Duchess had no call to be so unkind to me. I have been nothing but deferential to her. You defended me I assume." Deep down Richard might know that some of her words rang true but he was loathe to admit them to himself. "The Duke has been very kind to me and has offered to help me. Yes. He has offered to help both of us. He is helping the family so is it so wrong that we try and help him too?" He was not choosing his words carefully.

"By marrying George, you help us both. It ties the two of us more closely to Norfolk. You will get wealth and George will likely be given property. Yes, he might not get a title but the love of such a father is mostly worth more. Norfolk and the whole family would protect our interests. A good alliance is worth more than a title," he asserted,

A silence stretched between them.

Davina knew now that her brother would indeed see her sold thinking only about the end result. It hurt. This dismissal of her feelings.

"How sure you are of the outcome. Able to tell me that Norfolk will only look with Favor on us both with no end to his Generious hand. That cousin George will make a husband of means ...."

She looked down at her hands clasped in her lap unaware of how tightly they were clenched. It took effort to relax. To not let him see how painful this was. To have seen her brother all these years in one way of thinking she understood only to realize she was wrong.

"You think so little of my abilities then - that I do not have the Qualifications to be a Duchess? That I am somewhere placed between a Border Baroness and a what? Mayhap I should go after The German and say I've changed my mind. That yes I'll marry him after all and to take me away to his Country quickly least my presence cause You further distress."

"The Queen will be pleased and indeed no doubt reward you far better than a Norfolk promise ever could! Your Ambition cannot go higher than Her. But I shall have to disappoint there as well"

She looked up at him finally her gaze resting on his face and he would see her sadness clearly.

"I will not marry George. I will make Peace with the Duchess and she will see the truth in my words that her son and I are not suited and thus Norfolk will be appeased and that after all is what must be done. How else can you Rise? Your Ambition will be safe. Why here is a thought - consult Norfolk for a bride. Take whoever he tosses your way. That should prove how Loyal you are."

"And I shall campaign for who exactly .... Herbert might be best for he'd make me a double Countess and you get a tie with Pembrooke. But then mayhap I'll not marry at all. I could give my body to God wed myself to Him. That is one husband even you couldn't fault."

She was speaking without much thought simply saying words as they came.

Was it ironic that each sibling felt that the other thought only of themselves? Or was it sad?

"Oh, you think you will be a duchess then? Pray tell," Richard replied with a sarcastic edge. "All of the dukes are married. Ogle is pledged to the Percy heiress and Henry is said to pledge to Petersborough's daughter. He is in need of money now that Norfolk has cut him off. We have not the coin to match what Mordaunt can offer; and besides, I've seen you show no interest in Henry, nor he in you. So, yes, I question your abilities," he admitted flatly, knowing it would sting her. She had questioned his own abilities in the past and now it was time to give her a taste.

"You are not going to join a convent nor marry a random German," he replied, "I know you too well." Did he?

"Davina, listen to me. We need Norfolk's protection and support. I need it. You need it. The Queen could toss you aside. You are a Catholic after all. If you could marry a German that is her kinsman, that would be different. You need a link by blood or marriage." At least that was what he had been told by Norfolk, who seemed to understand such things.

"One of us has to marry one of his offspring. Either you marry George, or one of his brothers, or I have to marry one of his daughters. He has some daughters but they are not even teenagers. I think the eldest has no hand! The sons are old enough to marry and are likely to be men of substance. Would you have me marry some child Davina? All your worries could be at ease if George gets property enough to support you. Surely there must be something that Norfolk could give you to win your consent." There he paused, praying she would be reasonable. What did she really want, from Norfolk, and himself?

He was being as she - uncaring of the other ready to hurt

"I have no intent on cousin Henry nor do I aspire to Ogle - they are as good as married. Money is, as always, the root of everything and I know that all too well. That you find me lacking in my abilities is perhaps a Family Trait - you too seem to suffer from it. Unable to mate with a suitable woman you would instead tie your House to a cast off."

"Need Norfolk's Protection? Tell me in what ways? How has he benefited me in my time at Court other than I can claim kinship so in that way yes I suppose I benefit but in no other. Tis you Richard that need the Duke not me. Since when have you become his trumpeter? He has filled your head with things that will never be."

"He renounced his Faith as many have and are doing for one reason - to save his House. He made a Public Show of his son to further cement that. But as I have said I do not believe he will carry thru and shower son George with the Dukedom. The Queen will keep me close and you know the reason .... you had a hand in her little discussion and then her declaration ... didn't you?"

"She has but some few months until her confinement in the Spring. Her thoughts are on the babe and I'll wager less so on Me or any of her Ladies. I am Catholic and in my heart will always be. That will never change. A link by marriage ...."

"Well let me count them .... Ashburnhum, Avon, Osborne, Finch, Dorset, Audley, Herbert, Churchill ....."

She ticked the names at random of her fingers

"As I have said Herbert is the best for that 'tie' is Pembroke and of the oldest families beside Percy's. We are acquainted and have some interests. And you are right. I have not been busy enough. That can be changed. There is enough Festivities still brewing that will allow me to begin. The German is now no more than I hope a Friend."

"Then YOU marry one of Norfolk'd offspring. The Howard's breed like rabbits so look into the other side as well - the Stafford Branch. Norfolk will be pleased so it seems to have you nestled close to him so easy to lead no matter the girl you pick. Or rather who HE picks."

"Marry some child? Hardly. If she is thirteen she can marry fully. Ten years is not that great a space and it will give her time to learn what she lacks before she begins to breed the next Viscount. And that time will allow for your 'Rise' in Court or Politics all done with Norfolk's help. Tell me what will you do when he askes for repayment of all those favors hmmm?"

"What can Norfolk give me you ask? The guarentee that Henry will not inherit. That son George will be the next Duke of Norfolk. That I will have no cause for concerns. But what of cousin Thomas? Nothing is ever said about him. If Henry is out then should Norfolk not have reached down for his second son from the dead first wife? Why skip over him for George? Mayhap you need to think on that. Other's will."

"I am not really worth all his interest for there is little that I can do - being but a woman after all - in the Grand Scheme of Things. I shall marry. But again mayhap I shall take a Lover and enjoy that. Many do. And do not think that Mother Church is not a place for me."

"But be warmed. Push too hard and I will push back. I know my Duty. Know it well."

"Tell me .... Have you spoken of any of this with our Lady Mother? I am curious as to how she might react. Your Duty is ahead of mine after all and I can see her filled with delight at the mere idea of being in Norfolk's pocket. But then again perhaps not."

"Now You needs must be the one that thinks carefully for if the wrong direction is picked and regret comes to call what willl you do then?"

"In case you have not noticed sister, court is not about one's singular ability to rise. No, one needs the introduction of the powerful. Without it there is only so far one can go. So, perhaps I misspoke when I said protection. We need our cousin to open doors further for us. Right now we are but distant relations. He owes us little." He had learned this all from the great man himself. "He converted to save his family. You criticize him for that. I applaud it. The leader of a family must do what it takes to protect the family. That is what I am doing and am asking of you -- sacrifice for the good of the family. The concept seems foreign to you."

She listed all sorts of eligible men. "Well get to it then." Time was wasting and he was beginning to realize that he would need to wed one of Norfolk's bastard daughters for himself. Davina was not going to save him. She thinks only of herself. "Let us see what sort of fisherman you are ... what lord you will catch." He sighed realizing that his fight was lost.

"Yes, mother has been writing me. She advises all things that I must do. She agrees with you that Eleanor is fit for nothing but a mistress. So has Norfolk. I have put her aside dear sister, though it vexed me. She wants a closer relationship with Norfolk, tis true. She also seems to think you have forgotten your duty, enjoying the freedom of court overmuch. If you are not betrothed soon, I have no doubt that she shall travel to London soon enough."

He paid little heed to her threats. He seemed unable to sway her regardless. "I don't know what has made you so headstrong sister. You used to understand the way of things better, before you were selected to join the Queen. It is on sand you stand, not rock." He made no answer to her allegation that he had been visiting the Queen and conspiring with her. I see that discussion with you is fruitless, so I shall take my leave." He wanted to avoid saying something he would regret later, so he turned and prepared to take his leave.

She half turned in her chair to look up at him feeling guilty.

"Will you not sit? For apperances sake if nothing else."

"Why are you so hot for Norfolk of a sudden? I do not understand how you seem to think he is the answer to everything. How has he managed to convince you that what you ask of me is the best way? You will align us to him and in doing so His Views now become Ours and he will expect that we will jump when summoned."

"How can we live like that and yet remain Father's children? Do you think, if he were alive, he would do as Norfolk - renounce the Church and be his own man no longer? Norfolk is powerful all know this and yet I am afraid . For You mostly because you are head of Our House. What if things turn sour - who will you side with then? How will you Protect what is yours if Norfolk wants it?"

"I am not skilled enough in Politics so perhaps my arguments are not stated correctly but can I not say what I think to you?"

Her voice trembled slightly and she turned away. She did not like what was happening between them over the last part of this year and yet could not find the way to make it like it had been.

"You are asking me to sacrifice for You. So that You can rise high. So that You will be marked out as Norfolks. So that You will have connections. And I am the Lamb. Told to marry the son of a second wife without surety of Safety and Protection. That I needs must Trust that what all you have said will come to pass. That Norfolk keeps his word."

"If I were Father's true daughter than I should willingly lay down any thought of happiness in my future. That I should simply trust blindly in You and the Great Duke. That All will come to fruition and I shall bind myself and children to that."

"But I am not that child anymore. I have grown up and I am changed by this Place. Fours years at Court colored me into what you see. I know my Duty. I know full well Who I am and What I Represent. Our Lady Mother is the last to speak of that word do you not agree?"

"Even rock shifts. Nothing is completly safe. Do you not think how things are for me here - tis like quicksand at times and I am oft times unsure of things. The face I present is not what is in my heart. Do you remember him - the one that I was to wed now so long ago? There are times when I wonder how my life might be if we had married. No doubt I'd be a Squires Wife with babes at my feet content for a Country Life and the occasional trip to London."

"But Fate intervened and so here I am placed. Commanded by my Mistress to wed before the end of the New Year. Commanded by my brother to follow the dictates of another. Wanting to be free to have my choice without force. Yet how am I to manage when even you turn away?"

She had not realized that her cheeks were damp and the wetness made clear by the glow of the fire as she reached up to brush at them not caring if others' saw.

As she invited her brother to sit, Richard paused. It seemed as though she wished to converse rather than be rid of him. It was like women to want to talk instead of action he imagined. Looking around briefly to see who might be watching, Richard sat beside Davina.

"Well," he began, "Norfolk is a great man. You should speak with him yourself. There is wisdom in his words. As the scion of the Howard family he has much responsibility on his shoulders. With the passing of his idiot brother, he can begin to repair the decay that has eaten at our family." He was repeating the very words of the Duke. Left unsaid was the sad truth that only Norfolk had shown interest in the young Viscount. No one else seemed to take Baintree seriously. "He is the premier duke and he is our kin. I do not know that I need more reason than that."

"Davina, every patron expects you to jump when they say so. You do it gladly for the Queen but you begrudge it for Norfolk? Do you think Cavendish or Buckingham would expect different? It is normal to become beholden to a patron. He helps you and you help him. Our little family needs a patron. You have the Queen but I do not take much comfort in it. If you remain a Catholic openly I cannot but think that you shall be cast out in time." Each expressed concern for the other.

"Father might have remained his own man but would die in obscurity. I don't want to be a nameless nobody Davina. I would rather be a part of something greater. If you are going to trust someone, it should be your kin over others," he explained.

Even Davina confessed turning away from the expectations of their parents, so he wondered why she had tried to use their father against him. She reminded him that she had been at court four years, and without a husband. That was a long time.

"You've developed your own mind now. I am not going to force you into any marriage Davina, but I will remind you that we both have a duty to our family, one that cannot be taken lightly. I would hope that you will do your duty when the time comes, as I must do mine."

It was then that she showed herself to be more fragile than before. Her brother was no monster. He reached for her hand. "It will be fine sister. Every lord and lady confronts these same issues. I think my best hope is with Norfolk. What makes you think there is a better patron for us?"

"Norfolk is hardly Old father Time and while I will agree that he has knowledge his words sound very much like others' after awhile. Do not all Heads of House have that responsibility? You do. For Mother, Me, the boys. If you wish to toady at his feet then who will gainsay you?"

"And yes I am full aware of Patrons and their asking for repayment. Twas why I am worried with all your talk of Norfolk and his Greatness. Everyone has a price here Richard. Everyone searches for that Place to be within sight or calling distance of a Nobel Peer or The King or Queen."

"I jump when commanded aye and tis because I know I must. Need a Patron? Are things so bad that you see that as Salvation?"

Her voice hushed and she leaned closer to him her eyes suddenly intent on his.

"Are you trying to tell me that you go to Norfolk for money? Have things gone that bad? I know Mother drains and the fees for the boys' schooling and even I am a trial. Please say I am wrong! Do not borrow from Him for that will bind you body and soul. Look elsewhere for a Patron. There are many about."

"You needs must use your own voice brother. You are a Peer of this realm and sit in Parliament and have you sided with any? You 'pretend' to no longer 'Believe' but in your heart, upon death's calling, you will welcome the Comfort it brings. I see clear the need for it but do not think to hide at least from me how you are."

"Then make a move! Do you favor War as so many are pushing? Or does the idea of Peace and Prosperity ring truer? Parliment meets in the New Year and there will be many bills and causes that the factions will support. Where will you stand? A 'nameless nobody' indeed. That is foolish talk."

"I think Father would want you to find your place - remembering his Teachings - yet of most import to follow your own Conscience in all things."

She sighed. It seemes that there was no clear path for them now. Each intent on their own course trying still to persuade the other.

"Yes. I have. I am not a green girl and will soon see twenty and two. I have Ambition's. I want a place here at Court but to accomplish that i must marry a man of Rank that can provide it. No obscure Foreigner like The German. Nor will I be as Lady Toledo - foreign by birth - and yet once here thought herself to be "English" now she sleeps with Spain."

She gave a small shake of her dark head and a small smile as his hand clasped hers in its warmth seeking a truce perhaps by his actions?

"You are your own Master. If you wish Norfolk then there is nothing I can say. I will not marry George. But I do have a plan to win back the Duchess and thru her Norfolk. At least I shall try. But I will not make roadblocks either you have my word."

"And I will begin to make a plan for myself as well. You will see.."

"A better Patron? Well I suppose it all depends just how much Higher one can go than Norfolk?"

Richard listened to his sister more patiently than intended. She seemed more interested in him remaining independent. "Davina, it is very difficult to get ahead in court without a patron. I have tried for many seasons with no luck. If you had not been selected by the Queen, where would you be now? People like us get nowhere on our own," he declared in a dejected tone. "Back in the country we hold great sway but here we are just one of many, and unremarkably so. No one worthy has come to introduce their daughter to me. The King does not know who I am. Everyone wants to toady with royalty. I need to stand in a very long line to do so." He was shaking his head slowly. "We men can be more patient for things to happen," he admitted, while leaving unsaid that a 22 year old unmarried lady was a rarity.

"Norfolk is family. The other dukes are not. He converted to Anglican and so did I. What other Duke knows how hard that is? Which one is likely to be the most sympathetic to me naturally? Which one the most likely to help me, even if I have yet to help them? If I go to Cavendish I go to the rivals of our family. That would be a betrayal. Buckingham has no need for one like me, except my vote in Lords. Cumberland is more aloof from politics. Ormonde is Irish and not well liked. Ablemarle and Somerset are too ... young. So, Norfolk is the natural patron for us. He would be inclined to help us anyway and with the bond of marriage, he would draw us into his inner circle. It is not about money, so much." He was having a hard time conveying the feeling that they were Howards, though a distant branch, and they should be true to their clan.

"I think it a mistake for you not to marry George, but I shall pray that you can repair things with the Duchess. A plan would be good," he acknowledged quietly. It would have been nice if she had begun to make a plan at 16 rather than 22.

"Perhaps you simply looked in the wrong direction? Do not say such things ."

Her tone was sharp towards him

"Why do you belittle yourself like that? people like us get no where is that the thinking that sways you toward Norfolk? is it? Why would any father put a daughter before you - tis easily answered - your current lover. You have made her no secret after all."

"She was York's before yours and she'll be anothers after you. Tis the way of her ilk - find one who provides until cast off or one with more coin. But you crossed over that boundry and proclaimed that she would be your Viscountess. Until she has been cast off and You abide by it then who you take to wife will not be resolved."

"The King knows more than most think. Buckingham is his eyes and ears and other's are aptly named as well. You think I do not struggle still? I am a Maid of Honor and I sit with the other's and together we are the Frame for our Mistress. Nothing more. I am bound to that place until I am married but even then there is no guarantee as you say."

"To be a Bedchamber Lady I'll need a Duke or Marquis to put me there. The Queen has her trusted few that are employed there and tis to them She looks. Her Duty requires that she look for husbands for her Maids and so enter The German .... That pairing will not take root and I shall hope that She is forgiving. I give no cause for dismissal yet walk a thin line."

"I know Howards are Kin. In all fairness I see 'truth' in what you tell me yet I can not bring myself to follow you. But I repeat myself."

Her sigh drifted out across them both and her eyes went back to the flames

"Go to Norfolk Richard." She said quietly. "Make your plea and Pray to God that nothing adverse will come about. I will win the Duchess back. It will not be immediate naturally and mayhap if I can discover the one who is better suited for precious George so much the better."

"We are as you said "Family" and so bound to see each other here at Court and elsewhere. I will be 'cousinly' to George and offer him advice if he wants it - nothing but idle things so do not worry. I will not sway him against the Duchess - a thing I doubt ANYONE could ever do!"

"Yes. And it will be a Very Good Plan. I will not settle. My Ambition, my Pride will not allow it"

"So you will not stop me from going to Herbert then?"

"We are treated as nobodies because we are a small branch of a much larger family. Father did not pave the way for us with ready alliances. There are barons and viscounts aplenty at court. Yes, I am a member of the House of Lords, so that is certainly a path to distinction, but I need the guiding hand of a veteran.," he tried to explain patiently.

Davina could see a visible reaction when she criticized him for being with Eleanor. "She was never with York!" She had been with Monmouth instead. Davina had spoken incorrectly. "She is gone. I broke her heart," he added glumly.

He did not need his sister's approval to align with Norfolk, but Davina gave it. Richard could not fathom why she was so cautious about Norfolk. The choice was so obvious yet she resisted for some reason. It caused him to frown as he wondered whether the Duke had insulted her somehow or whether she had been told some secret about him. There were no other choices really. He enjoyed no connection with Buckingham or others.

"Of course you should go after Herbert. He is one of the best bachelors available, though I am told his brother Pembroke is ... well ... not stable." Did she know that he was a murderer and had a violent temper? "I would have been quite interested in marrying his sister Susan," he admitted. "Perhaps you can introduce us," he offered hopefully before his face clouded over. "Never mind. I must marry Norfolk's daughter." It was why he had hoped Davina would marry George, so that he could pursue the likes of Susan Herbert.

He desperately needed to change the subject. "Do you want e to escort you to the New Years Eve ball or any function?"

She had angered him still by her mistake.

"Was she? I had thought it to be so but still. She is another's cast off and that will not change despite the previous Owner. Broke her heart? Now who is the Foolish one? Her heart is like the tide - it comes and goes depending on who has more to offer. She will survive and nicely so for now another will fill your shoes."

"Mourn your bedmate brother and take your pleasure from those on Mermaid Street if needs be but now you are free to pursue unhindered."

"I too have heard of the elder brother but if that is true then it becomes an impediment to the inheritance and as no son is born to him then Thomas will inherit."

That surprised her - his mention of the sister

"In Truth? With Susan Herbert! Why did this not get said until now? I can and will do that and more if tis your wish. Pembroke is not as old as Norfolk's, by way of Title Creation of course, but all the same Powerful. They are connected with the Old King Henry's last wife Parr - her brother married the sister Anne. There is also a Villiers connection if memory serves."

"The fifth Earl's Countess was a Villiers and her father was half-brother to Buckingham. So imagine the possibilities. I have done my research as you can see."

She sat back a little a pleased expression on her face

"Tis best to be well armed is it not if I am to pick the advantageous one. Tis wonderous what Mr. Potts has access to in the Library and he was more that willing to aid me, one of the Queen's ladies, in acquiring information on the Herberts as Lady Susan was to be employed by Her. It did little in that regard but now for Me and possibly You ....."

She trailed off her sentence still not sure if he was serious especially as he had added the rider that he MUST marry a daughter of Norfolk's.

So the issue was closed. For now. She took the hint looking across to him saying

"I would appreciate it brother. Are we to attend the Spanish Embassy? I can not remember but the Ball, yes. Stay by my side and I shall seek out Lady Susan."

Her eye caught a passing servant and she indicated he come to her bearing two tankards on a tray which she knew were for someone else but her need was greater.

"Ah. Mulled wine."

She reached up and took them off the tray, her head dismissing the servant with a small nod, handed one to her brother and offered a small toast

"To Success. In whatever direction."

She had spoke true - she was indeed a changed woman. One that was now set upon insuring her Future was a thing she had a hand in the making of. Duty was and always would be a factor in her life no escaping it. She also wanted her brother to Rise and Prosper and knew that if he went to Norfolk it might happen. Or not. Norfolk was Norfolk and had no need to explain if things turned.

That she was perhaps too hopeful might also be true. Davina was her brother's until she wed then she became her husband's and her dowry as well. She knew her Jointure was well in place and if her husband died that income was hers alone. Another reason to be sensible with her brother and not cause him anger.

She crossed the fingers of one hand as it lay quietly in her lap for Luck. She'd go to Chapel in private and say her Prayers for Miracles.

Suruly God would hear ....

Richard thought Davina continued to be hard on Eleanor. Just because a woman was ambitious and gave her maidenhood to a powerful lord did not mean that she had no feelings. The mistresses to great men could have their hearts broken. Davina seemed too proper to see that; and, when that mistress chased another out of love, did they not feel betrayed? "Just because a woman takes a lover before wedlock does not mean that she is some doxy that goes from man to man without feelings," he replied defensively. Davina was in something of a glass house herself.

"Pembroke is likely to have an heir, so Thomas is unlikely to be titled, except for a courtesy title," Richard surmised, "Still, he is favored by the King as one of his gentleman." He thereby gave his support for his sister's efforts. When Davina offered to introduce him to Susan Herbert, he sighed. So like Davina, the obvious need to find a match for herself and an obvious match for me is foreign to her. It made him wonder what she did with her free time. Did she not think of introducing her brother to her unwed friends? He had begged her to do so.

"Maybe I can keep Norfolk at bay by saying that you declined George because some other gentleman had expressed interest in courting and had yet to inform me. It would be why I was ignorant of it. So, you have not ruled out George, it is just that you have one, or even better -- two -- lords paying you court. Could that be said truthfully?"

The mulled wine was lifted in a toast. "Yes, success ... and may it find us quickly!"

if only he knew my secret

She thought as she listened to his little speech regarding mistresses!

"And yet you will defend her still. You are bewitched truly if you think Mistress Needham cares a fig for you now. I'd wager she's already placed her bet on the next 'patron' and good luck to her. And best rethink that sentence brother for it might be misunderstood. Would you be so quick to defend ME if I took a lover afore being wed? Shall I test it?"

She spoke into the flames without turning her head unsure why she had egged him on. She did not want more displays of temper on either side but he was so smug and willing to feel sorry for that woman yet could be the way he was with his own sister nettled.

"Pembroke can get daughters just as easily or sons that die - children do. So do not rule out Thomas to inherit just yet. Yes exactly. Favored by the King and like to remian so. He has seen me oft times and even over the Summer in the Garden he was kind to me then. There is no reason to think that will not continue."

"If you wish." She answered him regarding his question about George. "The Duchess already knows that I am to ill tempered and will not be easy to mold so I do not think she will object and Norfolk well he will be swayed by his Wife even a little and will soon look about for that one better matched."

"You seek to make me Popular! Yet it can be said in truth for The German expressed interest and there are several Genttleman here at Court that make banter about me so it will not be hard to carry that on. There will be nothing that harms my reputation so do not worry."

He at least acknowledged her toast and for that she was grateful.

"Will you send me word then about the Embassy and the Ball?"

She could almost feel his need to escape now that he had said what he needed to and she would be glad to be left in quiet.

If Richard knew his sister's secret, would he believe it? What might he do? Who was to say?

Was it a shortcoming of her brother to rise to the defense of a woman who had shared his bed? It was clear that he still had some feelings for her. "She is probably still in tears," he naively speculated.

When Davina posed a hypothetical, Richard was quick to dismiss it. "Don't speak nonsense." His sister was so proper, in his mind, that she probably had no desire for sex. Brothers often had the view that their sisters and mothers were beyond the sins of the flesh ... or maybe it was because they could not imagine it. Yet, in a surprise soft response, he replied, "you are my sister Davina. I shall always defend you." It was perhaps the nicest thing he had said to her in years. He was quick to add "that is not to say that I will not be quick to hold you accountable myself." He expected the same from her of course.

On the subject of a Herbert husband, Davina seemed optimistic that Pembroke's title would pass to the brother rather than the son. "Pembroke is a mean one. Those sort never seem to die young. As for royal favor, I am told it is fleeting. One day you are in royal grace and the next you are not." He worried about his own sister's favor with the Queen. Were there many sand grains in the top of the hourglass for Davina. It seemed as though time was not on her side. As for Herbert, he was not at all against the man. Thomas would be an excellent match for his sister. Rather, it was a strategy to temper her enthusiasm for any candidate other than George Howard.

"You carry your ill temper as some sort of badge of honor Davina. Why is that? Who is to blame for your temper? Mother? Perhaps you scare off suitors because of it," he mused aloud.

"The Embassy event is at 8 on Thursday, I shall pick you up at 7:30?"

No further comment on his comment about Mistress Needham save for a small eye roll. She guessed that he would need some visual confirmation that his ex mistress was not suffering from distress and abandonment and that would be hard but just what was called for.

"How can it be 'nonsense' when tis your own words? Yet I will not argue it further."

His soft spoken words however did surprise

"We are both too far into Court and the years we spent in easy companionship will not be a thing recaptured but I too will defend You - that is Truth." She reached across to put her hand atop his in a geature that was familiar done without thinking.

"Of course you will for that is how You are!"

"Pembroke is that and more and if his impediment causes him to go further then tis only natural for Thomas to inherit. I do not see an heir any time soon. Royal favor is as fickle as the Wind. That is why everyone comes here to Court hoping to be close to King or Queen."

"To be 'within sight' as it were. To curry Favor and Advancement. Pembroke is an old line and one that will remain close - they have managed to ride out the Storms these many years and there is no indication they will not continue to Florish! Tis my Generation that will see it so."

"Do I?" She queried back. "Like some badge you say ....." A small shrug of an elegant shoulder then she smiled at him. "I am nothing like Her Richard. My 'temper' was born with me and I am much better with its control. Yet there is much to tempt it - and you too carry that trait as well for I have seen it."

"No. I shall make ready at home. Why go to the Palace then back to the Embassy. I wonder how Lady Toledo will contrive to amuse this time? I can not think of how she could do better than the "Opera" unless servants were to carry her naked upon a tray into the Hall but then that would give Spain a heart attack!"

She set her goblet on the floor and made some movement to stir herself from the chair then stopped.

"It is too cold to move so I will stay here for a while linger. I must think on what to wear ..."

The red herring tossed easily from her lips.

Reaffirmed that blood was thicker than water, the two siblings spoke of next steps. It was clear to Richard that his sister was intent to chase Thomas Herbert. "Very well, if I might help you with Herbert some how, let me know. Perhaps I will charm his sister too." He imagined the odd situation of brother and sister marrying brother and sister. In that moment he forgot his pledge to Norfolk. There would be time enough to remember it later; but, for now, it was pleasant to think of a path wide open.

"Me ... temper? Hardly." He was blind to it, as he thought his outbursts with his sister were justified, as opposed to be based in peeve. "Mother is far more manipulative," he commented aloud. She rarely showed him temper anymore. rather, she used her disappointment in her children as a tool instead.

The idea of Sophia being naked at her party was both shocking and exhilarating. He knew that such was an impossibility but he enjoyed the brief moment in which an image was conjured in his mind. "Should I wear black? I hear Spaniards like black, though that is certainly not a festive color. Brown maybe?"

Davina would not make any further remarks about either of those two topics here in this place.

"Spain will be represented in Black I have no doubt and no neither color is right for you, at least on this occasion. I think perhaps we both should chose a color that will stand on its one amongst the sea of Christmas Colors don't you think?"

"It is the Spanish Embassy not Court so twill not matter if I wear something already seen and besides I've not the coin nor the time to have something made! Let us not be twins please but instead complement each other in some fashion."

She suggested to him hoping that he might agree.

"Blue is always good but as we have no idea of the livery worn by Spain's Household I have no desire to be mistook for one employed there and neither would you. Blue is after all oft times chosen for household servants if your recall ours was at Matching."

She added the additional information to help stir his memory.

"Besides we needs must save the Best for the Ball for THAT is at Court and I want to Shine and Sparkle the better to draw every Male eye and maybe even the King's!"

She gave a little laugh at the last few words as it was a silly thing but yet she had already done just that over the Summer and He had been receptive ....

Baintree had a history of listening to others when it came to fashion. Originally it had been his mother. Then it was Davina and Eleanor.

"So, I should wear blue to the Spanish affair? What will you wear? Then, at the ball you will sparkle in ... what color ... and then what color would compliment that?" Would she just save time and tell him?

She looked at him for perhaps a full minute before she answered

"No Richard. You must now wear 'blue' as that is a servant color or can be and I have no idea how Spain dresses its Household so have no wish to be mistook."

"Wear the cranberry and silver coat and pair it with what you are comfortable in. I shall wear a complementary color to that and seeing how I have but one or two things it will be easy enough."

"You can not make me believe that you do not understand - I know Mother prattled on and I'm sure 'She' ( meaning his ex mistress) did as well and if that is the case the sooner you get a wife the better!"

"As for the Ball ..... I can say without doubt that I will wear the sapphire necklace and as to the color of my gown, well, I will tell you once I know."

First Richard had thought she had meant to wear blue, not it was clear she meant the opposite. "Cranberry and silver," he repeated, recalling the coat she meant. "Fine, I will wear that."

Davina acted like it was important to choose clothing carefully. He had always imagined that it was less important for gentlemen. It was why he had left it to women to decide for him. It made it simple and it allowed women to make choices for him, which they seemed to enjoy.

"As for the ball, I was thinking ... green," he ventured. "The color of holly. And a waistcoat of red maybe?" It was as much a question as it was a declaration.

She regared him with wry amusement. Had he always been helpless?

"I tell you these things Brother Dear thinking that you are well versed but out of practice. Now I see that tis not the case. Have you never selected your own clothing then? Why all this time I imagined that you made use of Father's old Tailor ... what was he called ... Norbert no. Ah! Jenks. Do you not remember him?"

"Oh please say you do not frequent Petticoat Lane and buy ready-made suits? We cannot be that short of coin for you to barter for a cast off. Are we?"

She hushed her words not wanting this to be overheard if it were indeed a fact.

Determined to not think the worst she then commented on the Ball

"Well Green is nice not very inspiring but well enough I suppose. Shall I help you? Since I will be at the house anyway to dress it will ease your own mind I think - but in the New Year I shall make a point to calling in father's Tailor or if he is not around then finding you one from Court. You must put together a list of those Men in whom your admire their Taste in dress."

"But only if you allow me naturally."

How many brothers had appeared helpless in the eyes of an ambitious sister? Richard would not be the first.

"Of course I choose my own clothing," he retorted defensively. "Yes, I remember Jenks. I have yet to find a suitable tailor ... one that can move quickly and not charge too much. I'll have you know they charge twice what tailors charge back home!" He seemed appalled at the idea. That might explain how few things he had for the winter season that were fashionable.

She caught him out. "Petticoat Lane has tailors to fit the suits to size I'll have you know." He was smug about the disclosure. It saved time and money, two good things to recommend it. "You should try it."

His sister, like most women, had no head for finance, thinking that silver grew on trees just waiting to be harvested. "I will look for gentlemen that dress as I like and ask them where they have their clothes made. I assume that is suitable."

She was set back by his disclosures never thinking that he might be miserly. Yet perhpas the Blame lie at the feet of Eleanor and all his money was directed to her that might explain the resorting to ready-made clothing!

"If you must frequent that place send your servant for I hardly imagine that any other Man at Court buys in person - do you not care if it is known?"

"Very well - I have taken the point. But be warned. If I see you looking in a manner that does not befit your Station I will bring it to Mother's notice. You too search for a Bride and can not afford to be thought lacking in any department. Susan Herbert has a keen eye."

She left it there with that additional information letting him stew.

"Will you remain then? Is the warmth not welcom'd after all - the only thing it does is make me sleepy and I can hardly toss my cloak over myself and the wine too ...."

She hid a sudden ywan behind a delicate hand her eyes closing for a moment sure that he would chide her or laugh.

Now she was threatening to tell their mother about his clothing cost savings, earning Davina an unfriendly glare. "You cannot tell the difference," he insisted, while looking down at his own coat. It seemed to fit him well enough. Then, his sister employed the name of Susan Herbert to pressure him into spending more. It was hardly fair, in his mind, and he wondered whether he had any chance with the lady at any rate. Silently, he still brooded over the match with Norfolk. How was he to get out of it? Did he want to get out of it? Would he not rather be a duke's son-in-law than Pembroke's brother-in-law? Either one seemed fine to him; he preferred paths of less conflict.

"It is the afternoon and you are so sleepy?" Richard inquired. "I suppose I can sit for a while." Yet his body reactions seemed more attuned to getting up and moving about. Was there anything left to discuss in the moment?

His agitation was clearly becoming more obvious and so she thought it prudent to leave off on the subject of his attire - but she would still keep to her words if he displayed any poor showings!

"You have not to be on duty as I must - tis an endless time spent in waiting for we Maids are dependent upon the Queen's whims or moods and now that the babe grows I think we shall be needed even less. And as I am unmaried the most I can do is Presence Chamber unless by some Luck I am asked to deliver a thing or message to Bedchamber."

"Ah well. Yet for all I complain I would not trade my place for anything! And there is the fact that Christmas Court has filled us to the brim as you know so that makes for merriment and now Spain tries to shine and entertain and that present opportunities for us both."

"I shall sit here a while longer to enjoy this warmth and solitude and you may feel free to leave for I am sure that there are others' who's Company hold your interest more than mine and soon it will be dark and the Night will beckon ....."

She trailed off looking to her brother with amusement not asking him to divulge his plans or intentions for his Business was just that. His.

"Have we reached a mutual agreement then? I will come to the house to dress and we can go in your coach and might we remain attached for some short time - at least until we both gage the way of things and if by eleven or some such times it becomes tiring I will take the coach home and send it back for you or would you have it different?"

Davina explained her situation with the Queen and, though it seemed limited, Richard noted that his sister seemed happy with it. He found himself nodding. She should be.

"I need to get back to Arundel House," he admitted, still composing in his mind the words he needed to convey to Norfolk about his sister. It was with dread that he considered the task in front of him. Had he not promised to marry a daughter if his sister did not marry a son? Would the Duke hold him to it? Would he insist upon a betrothal to be drawn up immediately?

"Yes, come to the house. I do not plan to stay late. It is likely to be a boring affair anyway." As such, they could share the coach in each direction.

He took to his feet. "I shall tell you how I fare tomorrow." With that, he paused to hear parting words before taking his leave.

"A word of advice - leave off going there - for now. Norfolk does not require you to answer him swiftly. Allow the Duchess time to bend him to her thinking regarding me and precious George. She will impress upon him the unsuitability of me as a Wife so you really do not need to do a thing."

"It is Christmas Richard and not the time for a serious conversation. If you did not sign a document and see it sealed regarding your own wedded bliss then how can He hold you to anything? It is all Posturing. He seeks to control you much as he does with everyone for he IS Norfolk."

"I would counsel you to stay away. Stop worring over words that hold nothing. The Duchess will not have you marry a daughter for that ties me in. She will keep us as Kin naturally and that is close enough. Make your Mark on your own terms."

She nodded to his thinking about coming to the house and sharing his coach.

"Will you think upon what I have said? I would see you Succeed without Norfolk's binding you to his side. Please do not go there."

She inched forward in her chair her eyes on his in earnest hoping that he would see the sense in what she had said.

(thank you for a great thread! onto the Party!)

Richhard supposed she might be correct regarding the speed in which he needed to get back to Arundel House. I might tell him later that I asked my sister to think about it for a few days. That seemed to satisfy him that urgency was not necessary.

"Perhaps I shall wait ... but he has invited both of us to Arundel House for a New Year's Eve celebration. I suppose we could use your awkwardness with the Duchess as an excuse," he mused aloud. "Still, it would be wise to give them a very nice New Year's present." He hoped she had ideas in mind. It was hard to get something nice for someone who had everything. "I found the Bible of Joseph Hall, the last Bishop of Norwich before Cromwell abolished the See in '46. The Duke is said to have one of the finest libraries in England. It should be a good addition I think."

As Davina tried to remind him he was free of legal obligation to the Duke, he reminded her "a gentleman is bound by more than the papers he signs sister. You should know that." He had given his word.

Archived