JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An overnight bag | 28th v. late @ Buckinghams- Xmas 1677

Nicolette Vauquelin

Francis view of it was rather different. Actually, the complete opposite. "But we may be shut down..." she begun repeating in a smaller voice, while he was speaking boldly on, clarifying.

"Oh." Nicolette voiced surprise. "I'd not thought of that." Her eyes flared, this was a realm of existence she hardly comprinted yet. Friends with power, could afford her efforts protection by her connection. It was a huge thing. Bamboozling even. But she had no time to dwell upon that right now, as she managed in such a round about way to give him his present.

And he loved it!

Nicolette's smile grew and grew as he told a little story of his less than privileged exile. "Oh Francis!" she hugged him, "I'm so pleased you like it, I hoped you would!" Though she had no idea it would resonate right into his childhood. "Do you know, I have actually got more, an entire set even. You have them all if you like." She'd been going to give them to Buckingham or the King (had not yet decided) and really had wanted to keep them for herself, but seeing Frances like this trumped the rest.

"I painted the hair myself, but he's the one that looked most like you. See how fine he looks, ever ready for action, a noble and valiant man serving his country." She crooned of the figurine.

Francis was very much a product of the age. War had denied him the childhood that rank would have brought just as well as it had denied him a father and other more seemingly important things. The toys one wanted or fantasized about as a child never really lost their power. The nearly twenty-nine year old blond was evidence of that in the moment.

"Very much," he replied, returning her hug and giving her a kiss on the forehead as she did so.

He placed himself back at the helm to free his other hand. "Now, see? There is still a piece of me on a ship," he grinned.

"An entire set?" If he could have looked younger than he already did, that moment did a very good job at trying.

It was hard not to beam at the dashing figure she painted of him. He was a confident sort of man, but he did not have as good a conceit of himself as Buckingham.

"So you need not miss your first mistress." Nicolette added as he set 'himself' back aboard ship.

His very comment, however, told her that he did miss riding the waves. In a quieter voice Nicci added, "She will take you back whenever you wish for her, I am sure."

Perhaps he'd sail off into the horizon upon some exotic adventure come the recess, although winter seas were the worst (so she believed.)

But those sorts of thoughts (wanting him to keep safe) vanished and she laughed gleefully with his childlike awe. "Yes I've entire armies! I could not believe my good fortune when I found them. Truly I'd hoped only for a single miniature! It was something I could not pass by. La, I think Lady Toledo thought me utterly mad." she giggled of that too. Sophia and she were so very different, though remarkably they shared a very similar taste in men.

"You shall have to come to my place, well, Lord Basildon’s house, and see them all. Mmm... yes actually, perhaps you should come to see me there next time?" her eyes shone, finding a little pleasure in the prospect of testing her cousins limits. Louis had not much liked her talking about her first time with Francis, she suspected he'd feel even more jealous of their spending time in the bedroom under his very own roof.

He smiled a bit ruefully.

"I think we shall be but good friends now, for she is mistress no longer." He chuckled. He had actually never had a true mistress. The King and Buckingham enjoyed teasing him of it.

"Entire armies at the disposal of the Mistress of Misrule, now you shall truly conquer all of court! And with them, His Majesty's bedchamber," he added, with another titter of amusement.

"Ah so you were shopping with Lady Toledo, my former ward," he said, with a grin. He knew Sophia well. She very much enjoyed visiting shops. "Did she know you were buying mercenary armies for me to command?" He could not help but grin at the thought of that.

His court uses and abilities were a bit limited but thankfully were uses that his King appreciated fully!

"Shall I climb in through your window with a rope you shall drop down to me, or will Basildon welcome me through the front door?" he asked, with a laugh.

It was not like Basildon did not know precisely what was going on.

So he did not count the Ocean as his mistress any more, but there was a look in his eyes that provoked her to say, "Better to leave a lover while ones heart is fond of them still. La, I pity those poor souls trapped in an unhappiness. So miserable, they forget why they ever loved."

"Oh yes, entire armies!" she giggled of it, "hundreds of men all under my bed!" Or more specifically, in a box under her bed. But Francis would find that out if he managed to get to her room... for yes, there was Louis to navigate.

"No, she so absorbed with herself... no she had no idea why I brought the armies, she did not ask so I did not say." Nicolette replied easily, taking opportunity to softly kiss the adorable Francis again. "I bet she drove you to distraction, when you had to manage her attention. It is like a butterfly, drifting from this flower to the next." and she thought to kiss him again on his neck, her hands around his back. "She probably fell in love with you too Francis, I am sure."

Nicolete's and Sophia's tastes in men were near to identical.

Chuckling of the idea of his climbing the building, she shook her head and tutted, "No, you must use the door. My Cousin will love to see you." Nicolette hoped Louis would get terribly jealous. That would be excellent to see! "You must know I have already told him everything." though Louis did cut her off as she had started to go into descriptions. "Mmm... shall I tell you what I told him?" her hand slid down his back.

• 2 weeks later...

"God's Blood, I hope not," Francis replied, quite gravely, to the idea of Sophia being also in love with him.

She was fickle enough for it in emotion, that was for sure, and foolish enough for it too.

Oh I do hope not...

He might be the only man who could not fully enjoy her breasts.

"Armies of men under your bed, eh?" he chuckled, imagining such a thing in reality. "Men would surely clamour for the honour, but the rare jewel that one cannot have never loses its luster. That is the power a woman can have."

He grinned, "I shall rid you of your armies and lead them in your name then, shall I?" The merry glint in his eyes did have honest fondness. And he was also quite keen on the idea of the miniatures.

"But you just said that you told him everything." Francis clearly was teasing her by catching her contradiction. Women were famous for being walking contradictions, though.

"But, no, do tell me what you said to him and what he said in return," the blond countered hopefully, running a finger from her lips down her neck.

• 2 weeks later...

"Cannot have?" His allegory of an unobtainable jewel was mistaken at first (she thought he meant she could not have the King).

Nicci pouted and returned, "If a woman never takes something, then I would say that she never truly wanted it in the first place." Her pout lased back into a smile, "for example..." and she pressed a kiss to his cheek. She had decided she wanted Francis hadnt she? And she had taken him.

"Mmm, but I shall tell you every detail of that conversation, when you are in my bed." It was plain enough that Francis was up for a morning bout, but Nicolette had things to do. She was grinning, for it felt lovely to be physically desired. "What time shall you come - everyone shall be busy with gift giving upon Saturday - would Sunday afternoon be too scandalous? Perhaps Monday then."

"No, no, the woman is the jewel," Francis purred after she kissed him. "But surely, when it come to His Majesty, a lady can use such delicious license."

He placed a kiss on her lips, "The unattainable jewel, remember. The goal is to be what only he can have and even then after a hard-won chase. Flirt, play, and use it as your lure for then the taking shall be all the more pleasurable."

Of course, the small pieces their little circle played in the education and preparation were one thing. How better to set the jewels for a king?

And Francis truly wished for her to succeed. To succeed for that saucy smile and spunk, that maturing daring. The political pieces were not truly his pieces. That was more for Buckingham and Basildon. To him it might well have just been the two of them in this design.

Not to mention he wished the king happy and thought his mademoiselle N.V. would be up to the task.

"Ahhh, when shall I come. THat is the question. I cannot help but come when you coax me so cleverly," he said, dipping his words in double entendre with deep proficiency. "Not Saturday? But are you not a gift? Do not all pay homage to the benefactors on Saturday?" he teased. "And what if I asked you to plan an entertainment with me for after the monotony of gift-giving?"

And Francis would only plan entertainment for one or two people.

Her misunderstanding corrected, Nicolette listened anew. "Like Belle Stuart." she nodded, knowing the tale of the woman who'd refused the king over and over again - but had only fuelled his ardour thereby.

The problem with such a plan as that, was that the King had to want her to begin with. Apart from CR's bit of interest in her last spring, he'd never personally made overture towards her. But that hardly mattered really. As it was right now, she had the Duke of Buckingham’s patronage, and the consideration of Kingston. Those were great advances in themselves (a girl need acknowledge her successes when and how she might!)

She begun chuckling as Francis made fun of his coming - he seemed to prefer Saturday to waiting any longer. It was flattering, though she was less pleased with the implication of obligation.

"Mmm..." drawing apart, she played elusive (had he not recommended that manner moments before?) "Yet Saturday night I planned to observe the passing of constellations with the new year. an invitation to the Observatory - and then there is the Scottish festivities I've been invited to as well, not to mention any number of others that shall surely feel ignored if I do not show my face at this or that party they do hold."

She looked towards her lover, wondering if she was having the desired effect? "Why my schedule is so busy. If Sunday afternoon cannot work for you, then I am at a loss to when I might.. fit you in." A finely arched eyebrow rose, as a smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

• 2 weeks later...

His manner had not been very serious but rather teasing, although clearly he was desirous and enjoyed her company greatly. Buckingham might feel differently about obligations or perhaps even the King, but Francis did not yet have the vanity for it.

But he enjoyed teasing and playing, and he'd be lying if there was not a piece of him (or more than one piece) that would deflate if she pressed other obligations.

"The passing of constellations?" he asked, chuckling. "If that pleases you," he added with a confused smile. "Although if a man asked you to watch the sky in the dark, late at night, he hardly has pure intentions." His grin pressed as he tried to suppress it. She was smart enough to handle herself surely, but she knew the stakes of gaining the King's interest. Being a rare jewel was impossible to accomplish if tarnished by a cadre of men.

"Scottish festivities?" That seemed a rather bizarre one, and he hadn't heard of any Scottish festivities either. "I know only that His Majesty's gift-giving ceremonies are supposed to take much of the later day and night on Saturday." There was not much going on because of that, but it seemed there were some things going on.

At her coy smile, he said, "And what might I do to convince you?" He played along. "Shall I get down on my knees and beg?" To illustrate, he did so and said, "My tongue can beg very prettily." He batted his eyelashes at her sweetly.

"Well I should hope not!" she laughed, "imagine if I inspired naught amongst my gentleman friends than a desire to educate me!" She for one could care little for this or that star, even if they sparkled prettily. "If taking notes and is required I shall grow bored. Why I am bored already at the thought of it."

Variety was the spice of life, Nicolette thirsted for all manner of adventures.

"Yes Scottish, Lords Melville and Dundarg are holding a function at Lady Aylyths. I hardly know what it can be, there is talk of black buns that hardly sounds nice." Francis moved to knee, portraying himself as the supplicant. To which Nicolette pressed her fingers into his hair, twirling her finger around to entrap, while her eyes took in the sight of him. "Perhaps I shall take you with me..."

• 3 weeks later...

"I should not wish you boredom, but nor should I wish for people to gossip and ruin the rarity of my favourite jewel. His Majesty has been known to send people away who, well, dally too much with a lady he holds particular favor," he chuckled, but it was quite true.

As to the party, it caused a very blank stare to cross Francis face, and given that he was so light, gentle, and merry most of the time, it might as well have been an outright scowl. She could likely sense some of his disapproval.

"I can hardly know what it is either as this is the first I have heard, but it likely I will be attending the King Saturday through Sunday. It has been my rotation as some of my fellows do not find rousing early at His Majesty's time very easy on Sunday; whereas, I am generally awake by sunrise regardless."

He had yet to think that meant standing through hours upon hours of gift-givings on Saturday, but he had enough humility not to find much complaint in that duty either.

Nor did he have much problem kneeling as she played with his hair. He turned into it some.

"I thought perhaps you might wish to present a special letter to His Majesty as a gift on Saturday night. So far I have been your intermediary, but it might inflame the senses to have a little lure of drama, a taste, a tease to make him crave what he cannot yet have" he whispered quietly, as if the talk of seductive fun required such a conspiratorial tone. "You could mask yourself and put the first tease of N.V. to the test. Games would treat well after an exhausting evening of formality. Far more than star-gazing and black buns."

She'd never seen Francis like that. It was not fury, nothing so barbaric and crass as that - but it was disapproval. Disapproval that a girl raised fatherless was quickly perceptive of... she knew instantly what she had to do.

"Then I shall not join the Scott's either." she spoke quickly, with an apology in her tone. She did not want to dismay Francis like this. She wanted him to be happy with her. It was very important to her that he was happy with her. Reaching out her hand, tentatively, she hoped for some gesture from him in acceptance of her forfeit.

He then spoke of an idea he'd had for her, she was quiet of it a moment then asked. "Francis, I am not sure that he wants..." but Nicolette stopped herself from letting him know what she believed. That was beside the point really. Francis was to give the King a show, and she was the actress within it. His Majesty had come to mean less and less to her as her closeness to Francis had grown. What did it matter if Francis (and Buckingham) did not realise that the King was not serious. That the King was just playing along with a novelty, probably to appease them. Afterwards, she hoped to still be important to Francis, if not Buckingham.

So instead she reached to hug Francis and murmur. "Lisa's wardrobe probably has a mask I can use, and I shall present a game for the English King. Where shall I wait? Is the Banquet hall too far for you to summon me when it is a good time." Caught up in a moment of emotion that she was pleased to covertly blink from her eyes.

Francis pressed her hand and gave it a kiss but said nothing more. He did not think that he needed to, and he did not wish to have to explain his anxieties over a certain Scot. That he did not know about the party spoke that he had not been invited which might make a perceptive woman like Nicci realize that the two were not friends even a little bit.

"I wish you to be happy," was his only reply, and it was true. He was not a man wishing to dwell in negative emotions.

When she half-spoke her reply when he mentioned the King, Francis let out a light airy chuckle and whispered, "You are not sure he wants you?" Giving the pretty hand another kiss, "Nearly every man I see wants you, Nicci, and His Majesty is no different. I have heard and seen his responses to your missives, I have watched his glances, and the Duke has too. Do you not trust me when I say the King dislikes appearing predictable, but what he likes is what he likes? That he plays games back with you is telling enough that you stimulate him in more than just being beautiful and desirable. Toying and teasing those sentiments ensures his interest will burn and not fizzle quickly. There is more than sex and attraction in what His Majesty needs and that is you." She was fun and intelligent. She could share more than a bed but many other pursuits.

To be sure, Francis could have had her in the King's bed. That was no difficult feat, but they were attempting to make a mistress, not a one night or few nights stand. For his part, Francis thought Nicci could bring some happiness to the King without being as demanding and dramatic as some of his past liaisons, liaisons that had become more work than play over time.

She hugged him and he closed his arms around her. Her words did not match her actions, though, and he whispered back, "What is wrong? Is there something else?"

• 2 weeks later...

Truth be told Nicolette was surprised at her reaction to perceiving Francis displeasure, it had upset her more than she'd have imaged possible. His reply, quiet affirmation that his wish was for her to be happy, softened away the fret from her features. "And I wish..."

Her sentence was not completed though. For suddenly she was not entirely sure what she truly wanted. Perhaps all she wanted was what she already had? Francis, here, and this. She lifted the hand he had kissed and pressed it to her cheek.

She could not tell Francis she wanted him, and in a completely different way to her past imaginings of Ranelagh or quite anyone. Wanting Francis, enduringly, had never been the plan.

But then he replied to her concern about the King, he saids such nice things, and she wondered if perhaps he... perhaps he secretly wanted her too? She hardly thought about the game with the King at that moment, as she looked into Francis eyes and let herself feel his belief in her. A warmth of deep in her heart welled up into a smile.

Yes her embrace of him after that was a very emotion filled thing. Covertly dabbed eyes upon his shirt before she whispered her reply. "Francis, I think you are the first person to really believe in me. Not just to humour me, but to truly think me able."

I love you Francis - those were the words she secretly felt.

• 2 weeks later...

"Then I am honoured for it," Francis replied. A furrow indicated sweet concern. On his feminine face, the look carried a cuteness to it.

"And you? Do you believe in yourself? For I see that you are quite poised to take a degree of freedom and autonomy that most ladies never dare toward, and I think that you have every wit and allure to succeed."

He smiled with gentle warmth, "I believe in you enough that your success is tied intimately to my own court career. One cannot risk such with fickle whimsy!"

And he, too, was a smaller piece in a larger game with many people to please.

Perhaps her tone of voice betrayed her a little, his expression housed concern - and she thought she'd spoken too close to something they should not speak of. But such is the anomaly of the female mind, that the thought only made her love him more!

"Myself?" she smiled of the question, "oh but it can hardly make any difference how much I believe - it is not I who may grant any favours, any advances. Yet to answer, I must say that my self belief does at times waver, upon the very fact that my success or failure is uncertain."

"I have jumped, I do not know where I will land. Yet I do know that both you, and your lord patron, are true gentlemen enough to cushion any fall. And I should like to think, that if His Majesty's interests settle elsewhere, I might still keep the company of Buckingham’s coterie - for the style suits my very nature so much." flashing another smile she placed a kiss on his cheek.

His comment of risk, and fickle whimsy, tickled her mind. He was like a gambler. "Yet there is no thill to be had in gambling upon a certain thing." her eyes danced, "do you hold your breath a little, Francis, when I have an interaction with the King? Does it make you feel - all La! like this?"

"Hmm... but then how shall you feel if your wager wins? What shall your prize be mmm?" she paused, not having thougth it through beyond that point. It suddenly occured to her: "I shall still be able to see you, wont I?"

• 2 weeks later...

"No future is ever certain, but His Majesty is already interested, and His Grace is a great judge of the king's tastes." There was more than just a sex appeal to the entire affair. He could not fathom that Nicolette could not tell what set her apart from most.

"Indeed, the Duke is good to his friends, and I certainly am. Besides, he does enjoy your style as well, so I think you shall always find a place there so long as you remain a friend to him." His uncle was quite sensitive about loyalty. It did not take many Danby's backstabbing you as benefactor to become sensitive of such matters.

"There shall always be fun and generosity from my quarter," he vowed, putting a hand over his heart dramatically.

A short burst of barely controlled chuckle escaped at her question. "Yes, of course. This court business is far more nerve-wracking than any war aboard ships." He grinned. "But we Villiers are built of strong stuff if my cousin's ability to weather things holds true in my meager blood. I watch you, and I think of what you are saying and doing." He smiled, "And I hope for you. Hope that all is going well, as I think it should."

Her final question, he said, "See me? Of course. We shall always be close I should hope." He shrugged and added, "I do not know if His Majesty would wish to share you, though, but you cannot blame that of most men, let alone the highest man of the realm. We can be jealous creatures too. His Majesty is surely not immune from that very human characteristic."

• 2 weeks later...

It is not so often that a person gets to hear what another’s perspective on them is. Nicolette appreciated Francis thoughts, they were kind thoughts yet she did not think he was humouring her. It was one of those times when she realised that 'how you view yourself is not the same as how others view you'. This was the very reason why appearances were so very important - perhaps she, as a Frenchwoman, had a step upon on that front. French courtiers were masters of appearance - yet the substance was not always what you'd think. Nicci's secret fear was that she too lacked substance - Francis words allayed her selfdoubts.

"And I like His, and his coteries style." her eyes held a thank you as she smiled then, "his Grace is builder of bridges, his manners span cultures with seeming ease, and his gentlemen are also kissed with that elegance." yet again she felt this overwhelming sense of affection for Francis. It was so big within her that she felt overcome, and again she moved to embrace him. Maybe this was truly love? She'd not really been looking for love, but didn’t they all say that love took people by surprise.

Then he was moving apart and making humour-filled dramatic gestures, his eyes dancing. "I shall stow away your generosity," she grinned, joining his levity, "keep it locked away for a rainy day. Though clouds - what clouds would dare rain upon us, hmm?"

They did reach an entirely new level of seriousness though (at least from her point of view), when they talked of the future of their own liaisons. He couched the topic carefully, but indeed confirmed that if and when she became involved with the goal, that then indeed...

Nicolette fell silent, her eyes slid down - lower lip was then bit with an inner conviction, even if her eyes were a bit glassier when they lifted to meet his again. "Whether we be naked in each others arms or speaking in a hall at court, laughing of nonsense or very serious like this - know that... yours above the rest, is the view I hold most dear, Francis. La, this is the thing where you don’t realise what you have till it may be gone. I do not want to loose you, Francis." she resisted any tears, she would be strong, for she knew that tears were foolish and Francis was not one for fools.

No, instead she moved closer to him again, pushed his recently donned shirt up and kissed his chest with a sudden urgency. "Let us make love, my dearest, my first..."

• 3 weeks later...

"There shall be none, not for some great time, anyway," Francis replied. He could not imagine clouds for Nicci anyway. She had taken steps not unlike other ladies who had entrenched themselves at the merry court, and with a cousin like Basildon...well, the earl had a quality of bad things not sticking to him it seemed.

It was a quality not unlike Buckingham.

"It shall be a spectacular rise; after all, if Lady Alyth could do it, you could three times over," he praised.

As to her sentiment, he was no fool, nor lacking a poetic spirit of his own. He was a Villiers, smoothness came naturally as did deepness of feeling and passion. "It is an even more intimate dance to entwine courses in such a way, futures dependent upon each other and our families. Do you not think it resembles a marriage of sorts? Forever connected." He smiled. "You shall not lose me. All you shall lose is the pleasure another can bring, and likely a pleasure far greater than I can for having more experience," he added, pressing a kiss to the tip of her nose affectionately.

"It is not so great a thing, nor the thing that most interests me," he confessed. For a man who had never been "in love" (that he was willing to admit to himself), there was one thing he knew very well. When you were at sea, your thoughts of sex were with whores; your fond thoughts were of others altogether different. "Though I also confess to finding you delectable." Which was to say it would be some sacrifice, yes, but not one which would change much other than sex.

When she pushed up at his shirt, he did not need the suggestion twice. He put his hands down to her jawline and kissed her deeply, eager to do what he had attempted (and failed to accomplish) earlier in their morning!

Archived