JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Peers and their Principles | Late Afternoon 29/12- Xmas 1677

Robert Saint-Leger

"He does, yes," Beverley replied. It was expected of anyone with an office of state. Being seen was important for one's power, or the perception of it. "Spending much of it talking to the other old Cavaliers I expect, though he is still known to dance."

Brooke was quite agile for his age, typical aches and pains aside.

Beverley would have offered to introduce them if he was speaking to his father, but as he was not he hoped the earl did not notice that he glossed right by that.

"Yes, certainly do," he said. "Might I ask...who is the lady of your interest? You needn't tell me if you do not wish to..." It was far simpler to speak about when one knew what one was speaking about, though he would not be offended if the earl wished to defer until he had at least written to the father.

"At the very least, I hope to be a far, far older man if I have need of doing this all again," he joked.

There was a generation gap naturally, one that was eased a little upon attaining ones own title, but old friendships and alliances still proved stronger. "Old Cavaliers.. such as Cumberland?" George dug for information about Beverly's father. Chichester had been far to reticent, shy even, in the past, it was time that he became known to such men.

"The Duke Newcastle-upon-tyne's daughter - Frances Cavendish." George had naught to hide, and fully intended to write the man that evening. "Audacious of me perhaps, but having met her... I sensed some encouragement. But still, like you say, there need be discussions of such things before any possible speculation to futures."

"I can certainly agree with you upon that. It is no simple thing, and entirely daunting!"

"Indeed, or members of the Woolsack or other Privy Councilors," Beverley said. "Or the other lords under he and the Duke of Ormonde in Ireland."

Beverley had not quite caught on that Chichester was looking for names. Although, in honesty, the position would give the names to a man of court like the earl. He was not in his first season.

"Ahh, truly?" Beverley said with a smile and the recognition in his eyes that spoke to him knowing her in some way. A fact he then revealed, "Lady Frances is a most worthy young lady. I find her very amiable and pretty company."

"Ireland?" that connection had not been immediately apparent to George, who's brow then rose of interest to the locale. "I travelled there myself a year perhaps 18 months ago, lovely place, colloquial of course, but rather charming." Though the island nation was not without it's share of problems, it's trouble between religions was even more intense when one added to mix the strains between native Irish, and the English.

These mentions of names were the sort of thing that Chichester would keep under his hat, perhaps useful one day, or perhaps not. It was all part of courts colourful palette.

With his revelation of possible focus revealed, Beverly replied with thoughtful comment. With a nod George agreed, "She is well spoken and seems to possess an inquiring mind. And of course hereditary of an exemplar sort." said he, entirely unaware that there had been a time that Beverly himself had considered the possible match. Rather, his young companion's comment came across as endorsing, or validating. It was reassuring indeed.

"It was not that marriage was particularly upon my focus this season." George explained, with a gesture here about’s making his point. He was most intent to make repair to his reputation with his peers.

"Are you to attend the Spanish Ambassadors dinner party tomorrow evening?"

Beverley's eyebrow rose as the earl repeated "Ireland" quizzically.

"Yes, he is Lord Deputy...of many, many sheep," the viscount said. Whether the last part was purposefully a joke was hard to tell. It was funny but by happenstance rather than wit. "And many, many families who are related to the old Irish kings." He chuckled. Clearly, he was not overfond of Ireland.

Then again when it was the land your father threatened to banish you to if you did not behave, a land tended to become more demonic in imagination than reality.

He had only ever been a few times and it had not compared to Maidstone.

"It would give me some relief if she were happily situated in marriage," Beverley replied of Lady Frances. The aftermath of the pond incident had made him quite sad. Marriage was business that had little to do with liking, preferences, or one's feelings, but he had felt quite guilty for something which was out of his control.

"It was not? Then pray tell, what had been? Merriment, like most?" he guessed.

As to the party, he said, "It is strange to navigate social engagements involving foreigners, is it not? Since the Spanish are allies of the Dutch, and we are to be allies of the Dutch, I think that I shall. You?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Ha." to the sheep joke he gave a laugh, it was not like Beverly to talk in parable, so he supposed he meant literal sheep. Or did he? "Not without the help of one or two sheep dogs no doubt."

Meanwhile George had rather liked Ireland - his head turned, recognising that Beveley’s viewpoint was dissimilar to his own. "I picked up a lovely Garret Morphy piece...Morphy: the artist." and felt inspired to add, "We must make ourselves traveling companions there one day, I would like to visit you upon some of the art houses and places of culture that are utterly unique." He smiled.

Beverly further clarified his comment with an expression of relief should Frances be settled. George's expression opened in understanding, and then his smile shifted to one crooked. "Yes, well, very good." So Frances had been rejected. George was not sure how he ought to feel about that.

A sensible topic was preferable. "Yes I had thought to relaunch myself, so to speak, as a conservative gentleman." he grinned once more with his claim, "so, no not so much merriment really, though a modicum is surely appropriate."

And speaking of merriment, there was the question of the Spanish Ambassadors dinner. As youthful as Beverly appeared, he was attuned to an political implications. "My, I'd not thought of that." in honesty George admitted (in a tone of relief that it was not a social faux-pas to attend!) "Yes I am already committed to attend. Lord Toledo once courted my sister, much to my dismay was declined, but we have been fast friends ever since. He is a dependable sort, not prone to excesses." George recommended Esteban's character.

* ref

"Ah, the artist, of course," Beverley said, nodding. He had no idea who the man was in reality, but he did not wish to seem foolish.

"I do not oft go, but it would be rather grand to have a companion when I do," the viscount agreed. "Ireland is...quite quiet. I suppose I am used to being in the middle of some calm sort of action." His master was no idle prince.

"And a modicum of anything should be considered appropriate. Moderation is oft spoken of by clergymen."

Toledo's party was sounding better when the earl said that he would be going. It was always less nerve-wracking when there were people you knew an liked.

"Then I shall see you there."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived