JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Collecting the Dagger Noon 28/12- Xmas 1677

Charles Whitehurst

"Let me see what is in the pouch," Charles commanded the scraggily thief. "Bring it here." He did not yet give permission to the women to claim it as her own. It was possible that it belonged to Tamsin. He also wanted to get a better look at the man. "Were you just at the weaponsmith's?" he asked while the other four babbled about getting credit for capturing a thief. The fact that George was behind him with a pistol gave Charles additional comfort.

He spared the others a glance. "Where is this villain that you captured? Bring him to me now." The glance needed to return to the other culprit quickly so that he might not slink away from the mounted officer. "If you attempt to run I will cut you down like a dog," he warned. He was unaware that George had discovered another culprit.

Door after door he tried; making an effort, he had to do something. The vision of poor Tamsin was keen in his mind. A grunt of breath puffed from his lips a third time, as a third door was barred to him.

Then there were shouts down where Charles was. George tried another door - and was surprised as it did give way, and he shouted out into it's interior, asking if anyone had come through. As it turned out the question was not necessary. For there the scoundrel stood with helpless woman held at knife point!

"Steady on, steady!" George called back, lifting his hands in the air in a harmless fashion, confused by the scattering of vegetables on the floor. (the Veges did not make sense to him, but he’d not seen what had happened in the street fracas earlier.) "Lets talk this through, there is no need for anyone to get hurt. No doubt you are just trying to feed your family. Harsh winter like this. It's tough. Wife, and kids is it?" he tried to get the man talking, "I can help you. Just let that poor woman go..."

Charles

The bedraggled man obediently picked up the pouch and stepped forward, his eyes darting nervously from the horse to the uniformed gentleman astride it. When he handed the pouch to Charles, the Earl would get a good whiff of the stench of dirt and sweat that clung to him. This man smelled like he hadn't taken a bath in years and there was grime smudged on his face and hands. “I ain't never been to no weaponsmiff,” he muttered. His words were slurred.

The pouch would feel light, and should Charles open it, he would find that it contained only a few coins. The woman who had claimed it looked up at him expectantly. “That's me food money,” she said. “It gotta last me and me children a week afore me 'usband gets paid again.”

The four brawlers exchanged glances when the uniformed gentleman asked where the thug was that they had captured. “We can't bring 'im t' yer,” one of them said, turning to point to the house that George had just entered. “'E fell when 'e were runnin' an' 'e went in there. T'other two got away.”

George

The thug stumbled slightly, but he held fast to the woman, who cried out. His hood fell back, revealing a young but hardened face. Though he was tall, he couldn't have been more than nineteen or twenty. His eyes remained trained on the finely-dressed gentleman with his hands in the air. What did a fellow like him know of hardship? The thief snorted when he said he could help him.

He stumbled again and winced in pain. His left ankle seemed to be injured. The knife slipped and nicked the woman's throat. Tears started streaming down her face.

“You don' care 'bout me,” the boy hissed. “You jus' wan' that reward like all them others. You don' even need it. Back out of th' house and let me leave or I swear she dies.”

The scruffy man was particularly odoriferous. Charles fought the urge to pull his handkerchief and hold it to his nose.

The pouch was handed to the woman. "By all means." he assured her. She was free to go. The other four men were largely useless.

"As I see it, you four let two escape unhindered and let another escape into a house. Instead, you fought among yourselves while thieves escaped. That does not qualify as capture," he instructed. "And this man," he added as he pointed to the filthy man, "was he one of the four fleeing, or not?"

A glance was spared in George's direction, but the man had a pistol and would be more than a match for some human vermin.

Too young to have a wife and children, George's words went over the desperados head.

The knife nicked the woman’s neck, by a mistake George believed, though the poor woman did not know that. Her eyes wide, frightened, "You are hurt, I can see. You need my help to get out of this. Do you know who is out there, that is Major Langdon, you know of his reputation don’t you. Right now you aren’t wanted for murder. Don’t make this worse."

George spoke in an even stead voice, he did not try to approach the young man, not did he break his gaze. "I don’t need a reward for tuning you in, there is just one thing that I need, and I don’t think you can help me. But. If you could, it would be worth your weight in gold to me. I'd own you money, or at the very least I'd stay here with this poor woman and you can get away out the back door."

"Shall we make a deal eh? Let her go, and get yourself out of here." he hoped to save the poor woman’s life, "and if you want to continue our little agreement, when your ankle is healed, come to my place Half Moon house. I'll have gold, and a job for you."

The Earl talked of the top of his head, if hed had time to think about it, he'd probably not have given his home address.

Charles

“Thank ye, m'lord,” the woman said. She smiled as she took the pouch from Charles and then walked away. The other bystanders were also dispersing. It looked as if the excitement was over and none of them wanted to be around when the thief inside the house was apprehended. The four fighters seemed a bit angry that they were not going to get a reward, but they knew better to argue with an officer of the King. He had probably not planned to give out a reward anyway. Toffs would tell you anything to get you to do their dirty work .

Three of them wandered off and the fourth turned the cart over and began picking through the vegetables, placing the undamaged ones back inside. He looked over at the filthy man when Charles asked if he was one of the fleeing thieves. “Nah, e's just a beggar. Been plaguing these streets fer years.”

George

The boy didn't have a wife and children, but he did have a sick mother, and he had only agreed to participate in the robbery because he needed money for a doctor and any medicine she might need. But now he knew he had just been used and that the other two had never intended to share the loot with him. They had set him up to take the blame and he had fallen … literally … for it.

He was determined that he would not be fooled again. The fine gentleman's words scared him. He had never heard of Major Langdon, but he did know that he didn't want to add murder to his list of crimes. He would be executed and then his poor mother would have no one to take care of her. The man's offer, though, sounded too good to be true and because of what had just happened, he was wary.

But there might be a way to get what he needed, after all. His ankle was throbbing painfully, making it hard to think. “I don' wanna work for you. You'll just trick me like them others just did. But I'll let 'er go if you give me some gold right now.”

George

How much was a washer woman’s life worth?

"They tricked you did they?" The youths admission suggested he was not a hardened criminal, though George was never the less wary. That wicked knife looked sharp, while the youth was jumpy & desperate. "Those others are not men of my calibre, I am George Hardwick the third, Earl of Chichester, and my word is my law." So much for restricting the personal information. And now a pledge too - if George had been thinking of giving chase the minute the injured guy made his escape out the door, he’d voided the option out.

The Earl frowned, and looked towards the front door (how to save face if boy-faced Langdon burst through the door entered his mind.) Lifting his hand showing it was empty, he reached slowly into his outer pocket, and pulled from it his purse. There was perhaps 5 pounds in it, most of his purchases were done through accounts. Still Five pounds was a lot to a man who'd come to stoop this low. "Here you go then, but remember my offer. When next you need money, come to me, and I shall give you an honest days work."

"Now let her come to me." one hand reached towards the woman, while the other motioned that he'd throw the pouch, allowing the man a moment to prepare to catch it, and then he tossed the calfskin purse towards him.

It came down to trust in the end, that the wronged criminal would let the woman go unmolested, the Earl had done all he possibly could.

"A beggar?" That might explain the man's filthy exterior and criminal demeanor. He looked atthe man sternly. "You are free to go as long as you assist that man in collecting his stray vegetables and putting them back in the cart." It seemed a way to reward both men and his attention was needed elsewhere. It seemed that Chichester had come upon one of the thieves.

Turning his mount, he rode to the house where George was and dismounted quickly. "I am here Chichester," Langdon called from behind as he neared so that he would know that reinforcements had arrived. Charles was not a man to negotiate with gold. He preferred to negotiate with steel or lead.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles

The farmer shook his head. “I don' want the likes o'him touching me goods,” he said to Charles. “They'll be ruined.” The beggar didn't seem inclined to help anyway. Lowering his head, he began shuffling in the direction of the Strand, where he was more likely to make a few coins from the rich passers-by.

George

The boy didn't trust toffs as far as he could throw them, and this fancy gentleman was an Earl. No doubt he wished to trick him too. He would pretend to help him and then turn him over to the authorities. His skepticism clearly showed on his face and when George lifted his hand, the thief's grip on the woman tightened. The knife shook a bit in his hand.

Yet when George reached into his pocket and withdrew a purse that clinked with coins, he saw the means to get help for his mother. He didn't know if he would take the toff up on his offer of work, but it did sound appealing. More money would mean more medicine and better care for his poor mum.

“Toss the purse to me first.” When George did so, he lowered the knife and pushed the woman forward. She toppled into the Earl's arms, still sobbing. “Thank ye, guv,” she muttered over and over.

The young thief opened the pouch and peered inside. There was enough gold to keep his mother in comfort for at least a month and buy them enough to eat as well. He looked at George with renewed respect, and was about to thank him when another voice called Lord Chichester's name from the front of the house.

Charles joining George

Charles would find the woman still clinging to George and muttering her thanks. When she saw him, she let the Earl go and hurried out the door. Surprisingly enough, the boy made no move to flee, but instead sank down on the floor and began to rub his injured ankle. He looked warily between Charles and George. “If ye let me go, I'll tell ye what I know of them men what robbed the girl.”

OOC: Sorry for the wait. I didn't see the replies to this thread until this morning. If I don't reply to a thread in two or three days, please send me a reminder because it was probably an oversight or I forgot.

The instincts of Lord Langdon were firstly to arrest, if possible, attack if not ... and a distant third was to allow a villain his freedom. Charles paused a moment to hear the offer and to give Hardwick a chance to respond because he had engaged the man in conversation apparently.

His saber waved in front of him menacingly. "The Guard does not allow villains to go" he began to explain. "The question going through my mind is whether I should simply deal justice upon you here with my sword for attacking a lady, or to arrest you and bring you to Fleet Prison for assault, attempted murder, and robbery. On our testimony you will be hanged." If the man had an injured ankle he was not likely to flee, but he was watched nevertheless.

"However, if a prisoner makes himself useful, charges need not be so severe. If we were to tell the Sheriff that you had stolen a small amount of money. My guess is that you would not be imprisoned long. I doubt that either of us, if you were especially helpful, would be motivated to find the time to show up at your trial, if there is one, all but assuring you of a quick release. However, speaking as a lord that enforces the King's justice I am inclined to give testimony at a criminal's trial if the man apologizes for his behavior and intends to make good for the wrong he committed." This was sounding more formal than he intended.

"So, tell us everything you know about this criminal affair, including names of your fellows, and I may be convinced that you are truly sorry for your actions." He glanced at George to see if he was of a like mind.

Part 1

The woman clung to George. "That sounds like your cue to leave." George told the man as Charles called his name outside.

But rather than leave the villain slumped, giving himself up - CW had a reputation as locking people up first and questions later. George had tied to help him, but now it was a matter for the law.

Instead, it was the woman that George had saved' that tried to jolt from his hands and make a dash out the door. "No you dont!" the earl shouted, surprised and dismayed as he realised he'd been duped. She was not an innocent householder at all.

Whether the young man and woman were working together he did not know, but tighter his grip on the woman. Trying to stop her retreat, and his humiliation in CW''s eyes.

He was a fully capable man, against a shocked woman.

OOC: I wil reply part 2 (response to CW) after I know if he's sucessful at stopping her or not.

As soon as the boy saw Charles, he knew that there was no point in attempting to escape. With his injured ankle, he wouldn't get far before the smartly dressed soldier … probably one of the King's personal guards … cut him down with that saber he brandished. The young thief thought his best option was to negotiate his release with information.

He swallowed convulsively when the gentleman threatened to kill him on the spot or turn him in to be hanged. It seemed that he was doomed either way. If he told these two men what he knew, it appeared that he would still be incarcerated. Even if he only spent a few days in prison, he was afraid that his mother would die without anyone to care for her.

Meanwhile, George managed to catch the woman before she fled. She struggled in his grasp and tried to step on his feet so that he would release her. But he was younger and stronger and there was a lot of her to hold on to. The middle-aged woman was quite plump, with greasy auburn hair that was slowly going gray and blue eyes that glared at her captor. Her gown was threadbare and stained and her shoes were nearly worn out.

Eventually, she stopped squirming and sagged against George. The horror she had just gone through was beginning to sink in. If not for the man who held her, she would have been dead now. Maybe he was only trying to protect her. and neither man had seen her steal the vegetables She had run into the house as soon as she had seen them approaching.

The boy thought of making up a grand story to get Charles to release him, but he settled on telling the truth instead, even if it might not be enough to keep him out of prison. “I met them two fellows yesterday when I was beggin' in the Strand fer money to help me sick mum. They said they'd pay me good if I helped 'em with a job they been hired to do. They didn't tell me what the job was and I needed the money so bad I agreed to help 'em.

“We met this morning an' they tol' me to do whatever they said. That lady was their target because we followed her coach and waited until she done left the shop. I thought they was gonna talk to her but they drug her out back and tol' me to keep watch. I heard 'em arguin' but I couldn't hear their words. The lady heard 'em. She'll know what they said.

“When I saw ye comin,' I ran over and warned 'em. They said something about their master not bein' pleased and then we took off runnin.' When we got to this street, one of 'em pushed me down and I knew that they never was gonna give me no money. They was just usin' me and meant fer me to take the blame if somethin' went wrong.”

His eyes met Charles. “I didn't steal nothin.' All I was tryin' to do was help me sick mother. If ye throw me in jail, she'll die. I just made a bad decision is all. If ye let me go, I promise I''ll never do nothing like that again. I learned me lesson, I did.”

He looked over at George, hoping that he would speak in his favor. His perception of the Earl had changed. He now saw him as a savior of sorts. Compared to Charles, George seemed kind and charitable.

The man seemed genuine, but did not they all? He offered little insight.

"So, you have no names and no descriptions of these men? Would you be able to identify them if you saw them again?" He was reaching for ways in which this man could be useful in the future.

"Why did they run through the weaponsmith's shop? Did they try and steal anything? Also, how did they manage to get away and you get caught?" It was just their luck that they caught the wrong guy.

"Did the lady seem to know the men?" There was a nagging suspicion that something seemed odd about the way they took her around back of the building and stayed with her. Thieves, in his experience, seemed to prefer to grab and dash as opposed to linger and wait for someone to come to the rescue. "Did they hurt her?"

The answers he might receive would determine whether he might give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Wrestling a hold of her, at this proximity, George realised the fullness of his mistake. He had thought she was a householder, but her clothes hair and smell now told him she was vagrant.

Distracted as he was in managing to keep hold of her, he missed Charles initial exchange, but pulled the woman into the mix to hear the further reply of the young man. When George had first faced him he had seemed 'young but hardened' - but that front had fallen away now. Now, he looked younger than his 20 years, and like a pathetic victim himself.

Charles questioning was keen, George was pleased he asked about Tamsins part in it, for that had seemed strange to him also. “You were waiting for her to bring you a description, weren’t you?” Tamsin had been extremely interested in the dagger that Charles had collected, and suspiciously run outside once she’d examined it. Then the men had gone through the shop, it was likely she’d cased out the merchandise, before they risked attempting to steal it. "Who were you working for?"

Somone had wanted that dagger.

"This one held this woman here at knife point, while she acted like she was the householder." George said then, the woman’s throat was bleeding where it had been nicked.

"I bartered with him to let her go, but she might be in on it also." He was indignant at this final straw in his unrequited efforts to do some good in London, being Mr Nice guy had never paid off for the Earl. This was the final straw that had him snap. His better nature had made a fool of him too many times now.

Shoving the homeless woman to the ground with the crim, George growled, "Sit." and pulled his weapon out into display again. He was wild at the both of them for the deceit. Wild at himself mostly, for believing it.

"I'd not believe a word he's telling you, it's all painting himself an innocent. The streets will be safer without them both."

The young thief, hardened by a life poverty and despair, had been desperate when he had held the woman hostage. He had actually thought that it might be possible to escape. Now he knew that he had been well and truly caught and his demeanor had changed. In his opinion, he was a victim. The two men who had promised him money had planned to use him as a scapegoat all along.

“They called each other Jack. They called me Jack too, but my name is Will.” He nodded when Charles asked if he could identify them. “Yep. I seen their faces. The lady did too. When she were tryin' to get away, she pulled their hoods down.”

Will frowned when asked why they ran through the weaponsmith's shop. “You wouldn't be able to catch 'em as easy as if they run around the other side of the building. They was tryin' to throw you off. They didn't steal anythin' either, jus' run right through and out the front door. “

Now he shook his head. “I don' think she knew 'em. When they grabbed 'er, she screamed and the whole time they was arguin,' she was beggin' 'em to let 'er go. And cryin.' I dunno if they hurt 'er. I were just keepin' watch.”

The boy looked genuinely confused at George's accusation and the woman spat at him. “I weren't pertendin' nothin. I run in 'ere 'cause I were scared. Never seen this kid afore in me life.”

“Never seen 'er either,” Will added.

The woman cried out as George shoved her down beside Will and when he pulled out his weapon, she promptly fainted. The boy spared her a brief glance before turning imploring eyes to both Charles and George. “I'm tellin' the truth, I swear,” the boy insisted, his voice raised in fear. The Earl no longer looked like a hero; now he appeared to be a madman. “Don' kill me! Ain't no one else to take care of me mum."

Ordinarily it was Langdon that was likely to push people about and brandish a weapon; but, Chichester had stolen a march on him, Charles found himself rallied to be merciless for a moment but then found himself somewhat in sympathy with the man. There was no evidence that the woman was in on it. He did not recall a woman running with the brigands.

Turning to George, Charles expressed his opinion. "I think we should escort Will back to the weaponsmith and to the lady and have him apologize. We can leave him in the care of the smith to turn over to the sheriff." Charles had places to go, needing to return to the archives with the dagger. The shop was only a few blocks away. "We can check on the lady." It was their duty as gentlemen to do so. As for the woman, Charles had little interest, deferring to the other earl in that regard.

How can the world change so profoundly in an instant?

George always the do-gooder, always the man to look out for the common folk. George who had expended himself tirelessly to unravel the mystery around a commoners death. A man who'd paid to have Saint Bart Churches roof rebuilt. Who'd employed men done out of work after the fires, paying them out of his own pocket to put bread on their families plates. He'd done so much for the People of London. But not a soul knew, here they were spitting at him, and treating him like a fool. He had been a fool.

This final trickery upon him was the final straw. He's been a selfless fool all these years, and for naught. It had been idiocy disguised as compassion.

And Charles, a man with a repute for dealing with London’s refuse mercilessly, suddenly became the soft touch. Sucked in by a sob story. He seemed to believe that this criminal was blameless. He seemed to believe that this woman had tried to escape because she was innocent of any crimes.

It was a turning point for George.

A turning point that had begun with Maldon having no knowledge of all the work he'd done, though he was living in the murdered womans house. He of all people had no idea of what George had done. So as had George explained his efforts yet again, he'd realised that all he'd done had been for nothing. That all he'd done had no impact upon his ruined reputation. That all he'd done was been a fool, throwing good money after bad.

He wiped the hoik off his jacket, and said naught to the woman, she was not worth it. With his gun trained on the man, he bent and yanked his purse free, "I don’t care what you do with them." he said to Charles, "I am going to see that Lady Tamsin is settled and sent home."

Will closed his eyes and gulped, absolutely certain that he was about to be either shot or decapitated. Then the soldier suggested taking him to the shop so that he could apologize to the weaponsmith and the lady the other two men had robbed. Exhaling deeply, he opened his eyes. “Thank ye, sir.” He was hopeful that he could convince the smith to let him go. He had not seen the man, but he would be a commoner and more sympathetic than these toffs.

The boy stared at the other gentleman's pistol, which was still pointed at him. He closed his eyes again when said gentlemen bent down, sure that he was going to but a bullet through his head. Instead, he took back the coin purse. Now Will didn't have the money to pay for a doctor to see his mother, but at least he was alive. He should have known that he wouldn't let him keep it. Toffs were not to be trusted.

The woman slowly regained consciousness, but she remained still, pretending that she was out cold. Maybe they would leave her alone. They seemed more interested in the boy who had nearly slit her throat. The blood on her neck had dried now but the wound ached dully. If she ever saw the stupid kid again, she was going to make his life miserable.

“I can;t walk too good.'” Will said. “But I'll do whatever ye say. I be sorry for what I dun. Ken I stand up now?"

George was coming to realize that charity for charity's sake was an empty feeling unless one drew happiness from selflessness. At court, it was the more popular belief that charity was done to gain favorable notoriety. Charles had a view that charity could be dispensed only when duty was fulfilled at it did not require much sacrifice. He preferred to gain notoriety for heroic acts.

As for the lad with a bum leg, Charles was losing interest. "On your feet. Let's go. I need to be back to the palace soon." He showed no interest in the woman. If there was something that the man could use as a crutch, Charles would be happy to see the man use it.

Once outside, Charles sought to mount and offered the man an opportunity to hang on to the rens as they walked. Fortunately it was only two blocks. It was unclear whether George would keep the slower pace or walk briskly ahead to attend to Tamsin. He could only hope that the shopkeeper would be about and take the lad off his hands.

There had been a time when George had found satisfaction in doing good for goodness sake, and he had no intention to change his generous manner with the people under his own care. He'd still fund the monthly dances at the town hall in Chichester, he'd still run his Artist-in-Residence programme. But he had his eyes opened to it's effectiveness in combatting London’s animosity against him for being a catholic. His good deeds went unreported, also because of his being Catholic, which meant it had done nothing for his efforts to be seen as a good man to anyone.

He'd taken the longest time to realise he'd been trying in a arena where success was impossible. Sadly. For he'd have enjoyed becoming a recognised patron for good. He was a white knight type. Though no-one knew it.

Now, he needed to remake himself, not according to personal interest and whim, but to what the world would recognise. This is likely an issue many an artist struggles with, conformity is not a creatives strong suit.

"I shall let you know how she is." George advised Charles, and continued his exit. (He was secure in belief that Charles had the situation under control, a crippled youth and a passed out woman were not going to get the best of the seasoned lifeguard.) And he struck out back to the Shop, the Carriage, and Lady Tamsin.

He hoped the carriage was still there, it would confirm that she was indeed an innocent and not part of the greater intrigue.

At Charles' command, Will stood up awkwardly and hobbled behind him as he left the house. He wished that he could have ridden but instead, the scarlet-clad shoulder offered to let him hold onto the reins, which he did gratefully. A couple of blocks seemed like miles to him and the going was slow.

George reached the shop first. The carriage was still outside, and the driver was sitting on his seat, still rubbing the side of his head. Inside, Tamsin sat on a chair that the weaponsmith had brought from the back. She looked dazed, but unharmed, huddled beneath her soiled fur cloak. The old smith was standing beside her. They both looked toward the door when George entered, and Tamsin's eyes lit up.

“I was so worried about you!” she exclaimed, her voice a bit shaky. “Is your friend all right? Did you catch the men who robbed me?”

Charles arrived shortly thereafter. Will let go of the reins, wincing in pain as he prepared to follow him inside. The fight had completely gone out of him, although he hoped that the shopkeeper would be more sympathetic than the two toffs who had caught him.

George was concerned when Tamsin was not in the carriage, and looked up and down the street. He was still not convinced they had not been duped from the start.

On a last moments thought he thought to check inside the shop.

And there they were? George walked into the premises and noted that the Shopkeeper had helped her to a chair. "I am fine." he replied, and gave a well done' nod to the shop keep and carriage driver. "But what of yourself, I think we should see you home forthwith. Lord Langdon caught one of the men involved, and is on his way back here." a pause, "Driver?” he summoned, “To spare Lady Tamsin further upset of facing the vile creature again, I suggest we leave forthwith."

Between the two men, George was prepared to assist her to her carriage, perchance to leave before Charles and his limping invalid later arrived. George had arrived in his own carriage, and would follow after hers to the lady’s house. Intent to go inside and explain the days disturbances to her father.

But reaching the door he saw Charles was aproching. Discreetly in indicated they take the back exit (and avoid futher upsetting the lady), so they were going out the backdoor as Charles entered the front.

Charles was riding high in the saddle. Tamsin would see, should she look, that he was uninjured. The same could not be said of the limping thief. Such were the wages of sin.

As he dismounted, he led Will into the shop so that he could be handed over to the shopkeeper. "He claims he stole nothing from you but he aided the other two that robbed the lady. Learn what you can and I leave to you whether to turn him over to the Sheriff."

In different circumstances Charles would take a more proactive role. Yet, he was due back at the palace and George had seen to the safety of the lady. "Thank you for cleaning the blade. I will let you know if I learn anything that can be shared." With that, he was ready to take his leave. He wanted a closer look at the dagger once he was alone.

George

The driver left his perch and followed George inside, curious as to whether he would offer to take the lady home himself. He had collected his fare from her earlier, and if he was no longer needed, he would be on his way. There were always plenty of people who wanted to hire a coach, and he had been sitting idle too long.

Tamsin was shivering slightly, but when she heard that one of the thieves had been captured and was on his way to the shop, her entire body began to shake convulsively. Now that she knew that both gentlemen were unharmed, she was ready to go. “My aunt is expecting me at her house.” She looked over at the driver. “He has the address.”

She could see Lord Langdon outside the window now. The thief was not visible from where she was seated. Tamsin didn't want to see him again. More shook up than she realized, she swayed on her feet as she stood up, grabbing onto George's arm for support. The driver nodded at George's instructions and took her other arm.

“Thank you for staying with me,” she told Percival the weaponsmith before they began moving toward the back door. She didn't look back when the bell at the front tinkled and kept her eyes straight ahead. Looking up at George, she smiled wanly. “If you have other matters to attend to, I will be fine by myself. Tell your friend that I will send both of you sketches of the thieves. I saw the two of them who robbed me quite clearly.” There was something else she needed to say, but that could wait. She didn't want to think of the attack anymore.

Charles

When Charles entered the shop, followed meekly by a limping Will, Percival was alone. The chair that had been brought out for Tamsin had not yet been moved back to its place. He studied the boy as Charles explained the situation. “I will find out what I can,” he promised. He had a grandson about this young man's age and he gave him a stern look before turning his attention back to the gentleman.

“It was my pleasure,” he said when Charles thanked him for cleaning the dagger. “I'll let you know what I find out as well.” There was something he was keeping from the young Earl that he thought he needed to be aware of. The boy could possibly give him a way to pass the information along without his contact discovering that it came from him.

OOC: Shall we wrap this one up?

George & Tamsin

The young lady was visibly shaken, just as a woman of delicate breeding might be, George's concern was plain on his features. "Yes, thank you." he gave an echo of thanks to the shopkeeper, before he assisted the lady with arm around her back and lined around he waist. Lest she faint , which, given her palour, could not be ruled out!

Her offering of sketches, had him surmise she must be an artist with confidence in her ability. He said naughty of it just now however, as she teetered and he frowned with concern. "My lady, need you be carried?" the tall fellow was not of a strapping physique, but he'd manage to carry a lady if he really needed to.

As he appreciated that 'her' carriage was only a city carriage, he suggested use of his own to deliver her home to her Aunt. "Driver." he addressed the city carriage driver, "may I trouble you for that address?" he pressed his own card into the drivers hand.

To his own gleaming black carriage he assisted Tamsin, settling her upon the purple plush velvet seat. "You have been very brave Lady Tamsin." the Earl commended, hoping to bolster her spirits. "I hope that your aunt is of similar disposition, or ought I collect some smelling salts before we take you home." trying to make a jest, and gave an awkward smile at the woman in his carriage.

OOC: sure

Having deposited the young man with the shopkeeper, Charles was satisfied. It was was getting late in the afternoon and he needed to return to the library. Having no reason to doubt the old man, Langdon nodded and wished him good day. His horse was outside and time was wasting.

~fin. Thank you

Tamsin knew she shouldn't let Lord Chichester be so familiar with her, but she had grabbed onto his arm for support. Assisting a lady was a gentlemanly thing to do and she was grateful for his assistance. The warmth of his arm around her made her realize how cold she was. She leaned lightly against him as they made their way toward the carriage. “No, I think I can walk,” she replied when he asked if she needed to be carried.

Instead of taking her to the hired carriage, he asked the driver for her aunt's address and led her to his own coach, which was far more impressive. She settled onto the plush velvet seat, leaning against the backrest as if she was already accustomed to such luxury. “I don't feel brave. I can't believe something like this happened on my second day in London.”

Tamsin's eyes widened and there might have been a bit of panic in them when he spoke of her aunt. “I don't want her to know what happened. Just let me off in front of the house, the way a hired coach would do. My lord father didn't want me to come to court because he thought it would be too dangerous. My mother had to beg him to let me go. If anyone knows that I was attacked, I'll be sent back to my family's estate and have to stay there for the rest of my life.”

Archived