JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The House of Hesse | 28th 2ish- Xmas 1677

Nicolette Vauquelin

Whitehall was so very different to Versailles, that Nicolette had been shocked to silence at the first ball she'd attended. Although, quickly enough she'd discovered liberation with the relaxed attitudes and reckless and at times bawdy jibes. But if Juliana was used to walking about naked, then even London had it's limit: while it France it would be an instant social death! Which was not to say that the French weren't just as morally wanton as anyone else, but they delighted in the dance of deception and deceit, the keeping of secrets, where nothing quite nothing was as it seemed. Blatant nakedness was too crass to amuse the French. Perhaps it would amuse the English? Nicolette could not wholly tell.

Yes they did seem to be brooking the bridge. For her part, she thought she had been revealing a lot about herself now, and Juliana seemed to be likewise. Outright questions were not neccessary to her subtler french style of thought. "I shall relish the prospect." Nicci's lips curled in a grin.

"And I need know too of course." of the tea.

"Religious themed operas?" Nicolette had not seen one of those, and inquired. "Like the death of John the Baptist, that would translate well upon the stage I think. Still, I do adore a happy ending." There were not so many of those in the Bible.

"Oh but I agree, it was strange to hear an Opera in English." which seemed to be the point of what Juliana said, "I rather prefer it if they stick to their musicals, that genre seems to suit their language so much better."

It was the kindest thing Juliana had said to her. Nicolette gave a pause, and smiled in appreciation of the well wish. "Success is assured to those that persist. And you strike me as a persistent sort."

Juliana was as blunt as the next German and saw nothing wrong with getting to know someone by asking direct questions. But trading stories worked just as well and seemed to be the Frenchwoman's preferred method of acquaintance. The stately blonde was very adaptable, and she was still only sharing those parts of her life that she didn't mind the entire English court knowing about. Except for her awful monthly cramps, but there was no reason for Nicolette to spread that around.

“So will I,” she admitted about their plans to tease Lord Maldon, which might be put into play as early as tomorrow evening. Nicolette seemed to know Lady Kendishall quite well so she would certainly attend her party.

“I'll let you know when I find out,” Juliana promised about the tea. She could have sent a servant to inquire about the tea's origins, but she didn't think it was that important.

“They're much more serious than the opera we saw a couple of days ago. No innuendo or skimpy costumes. Some tell stories from the Bible and others are about the journey of one's soul or the struggle between good and evil. Some parts are sung and others are spoken."

She leaned forward. “The very first German-language opera was a translation of the first opera performed in Italy and it was commissioned especially for the wedding of some of my distant relatives about fifty years ago.” That little tidbit of information made her family seem quite important, she thought.

“I've never seen an English musical, but I hope to attend a few while I'm here. I've always loved the theatre in all its many forms.”

Juliana smiled, leaning back in her chair. “Thank you. I could say the same thing about you. I think you will succeed in whatever you attempt to do.”

A tease, and tea; these subjects settled the women progressed.

"The struggle between good and evil sound interesting." Nicolette was imagining it as Juliana spoke. "Mmm... I suppose good alwasy wins, if it is biblical. Which, then makes evil the underdog... that people secretly cheer on?" Her eyebrow rose, knowing the thought to be a little terrible, even if likely true. Everyone cheered for the underdog. "Or a little evil to win at least, just to keep it interesting. Too much goodness would not keep anyone's interest."

Then the Princess leaned forwards. Nicolette mimicked the movement, with curious interest to the prized tidbit to be revealed? "La! Your family must have always been full of travelers. Unless, was it an Italian bride who brought the music to Germany perhaps?"

“Then perhaps we should attend one together.” of Musicals Nicci suggested. "Although, I must admit that what I enjoy most of attending the theatre, is watching the acts of the audience more than on stage. The theatre of life holds so much drama."

She gave a smile of Juliana's reply. It was one of those open ended comments, to which the wise revealed no more. "We begin to sound like New Years benedictions, when it only the 28th still!" Nicolette laughed lightly.

“I'm sure some do. In truth, I have not seen a German opera since I was a child and then I was fascinated by the sheer pageantry of it all. Everything has probably changed now.” Juliana grinned mischievously. “If I go back, I will probably cheer for the singer with the most beautiful tenor voice, no matter which side he's on.” The pretend princess had a weakness for tenors.

She shrugged nonchalantly when Nicolette theorized that her family traveled a lot. “They traveled to collect their royal brides, if for nothing else. That particular bride was a Princess from Saxony, and the opera was performed there. Italian opera was already known in Germany at that time. Love for music seems to run in the family.”

A genuine smile graced Juliana's lips at the Frenchwoman's invitation. “That would be lovely. I wonder if there will be any performances during the holidays.” Nicolette's next statement earned a chuckle from the pretend Princess. “This is true in Sweden as well. What goes on in the pit is often more entertaining than the play itself.” She'd had a good view of the entire theatre from the royal box back when she was betrothed to her cousin. Here she would probably have to sit in the gallery as she and Lord Maldon had done at the opera.

“True, but maybe wishing each other well will improve our chances of success in the new year.” She winked, remembering how Lord Chatham hated being reminded that he couldn't. “And it's never too early to start planning for the future.”

While Tenor as a word to describe someone did not mean anything to Nicci, she smiled agreement of the concept alone. "I have the feeling that you would relish if you were the only one seen cheering them on, all eyes would look towards you then." The Princess had already told her as much really, with her revelation of living a carefree reckless life.

"Ah. I see." Nicolette nodded, although the explanation diminished the impressiveness of the original claim. If Italian operas were already known of in Germany, then the performance at the wedding was less a sensation. That point did not seem to bother Juliana though, perhaps Nicolette had misunderstood?

"Perhaps there will be a christmas play; the Twelfth Night perhaps?" could it be they were planning an outing! "I shall be avalable any afternoon*, if you find one is on."

"Or more particularly in other boxes." Nicolette had not thought of watching the pit, which no doubt had it's own theatrics going on. "Who attends and with whom, where do others eyes drift to. Oh. And of course putting on ones own play within your own box." Nicci had endeavored that a little at the recent Opera, but her efforts had petered out when she realised nobody was looking.

English court was nothing like France - there were times that Nicci missed the tension, the acute scrutiny, the gasps at a look, the frown of a conclusion, the raise of eyebrow at a possibility seen.

"Then you plan to stay for the spring season?" Nicolette asked, "You shall love England in May, and they have the greatest celebrations around the Kings birthday, which they also call Restoration day. And last year, all of court up and went camping to the beach. Well, not quite camping, but almost. It was grand fun, until one night near the end, when someone spiked the punch." her lips curled with the memory.

"It was... a unique experience."

* at that period in time plays were usually held in afternoons.

“Of course I would. Wouldn't you? I doubt I would be the only one for long. Others would join in who feel the same way but aren't bold enough to take the initiative.” Juliana had audacity in spades and she liked attracting attention, either positive or negative.

“I will ask around. Unfortunately, I don't know many people at court yet. If you find out that there will be a play this season, let me know. I will keep my afternoons free too.” She doubted that Mademoiselle Vauquelin knew any actors, but surely some of the theatre aficionados among the nobility would know. Juliana did consort with performers, both male and female, but she had not been in England long enough to meet any yet.

Nothing surprising had ever happened in the other boxes in Swedish theatres, but perhaps that was because Juliana's servants had kept her informed as to which courtiers were involved with each other. As to putting on a play in the royal box, her kingly cousin was too serious and conventional for such larks. He had usually kept his own eyes on the stage and expected those who were invited to view the play with him to be on their best behavior, at feat that had never been easy for Juliana.

Here she didn't have to worry about impressing anybody. It would be fun if all of the attention was on her instead of on the play. It was too bad that Nicolette didn't fancy other women. They could have gotten up to quite a bit of mischief at the theatre together. Maybe they still could. There were other ways of having fun.

“I had thought about spending spring in France or Italy, but I believe I shall stay here.” Lord Chatham was her main motivation for remaining in England at the moment. If they ever tired of each other, she might decide to move on if another handsome lord or beautiful lady didn't catch her fancy. “It does sound fascinating. I wouldn't mind a trip to the beach or perhaps something even more exciting will be planned for the coming year.”

Juliana chuckled at the idea of spiked punch. “Oh, I wish I could have been there! That evening must have been quite entertaining.”

A smile formed on Nicci's lips; answer enough that she craved that sort of focus. "History's are not written of the people who fit in perfectly." The more that she talked to Juliana, the more she discovered an affinity. Though it seemed like the Princess was prepared to risk more, as opposed to Nicolette's more measured and tempered steps.

And so they agreed, if they learnt of a playhouse open, they might attend. Although it really fell upon Juliana, for Nicolette did not have any funds to buy tickets, so it would be an embarrassment to her if she had to admit that. If Juliana happened to ask her along as a guest though, then problem solved.

“Yes perhaps. I heard that some other year there was an excursion aboard a ship. At the least there should be a hunt, I have yet to attend an English Hunt." she confessed.

"It was a bizarre evening yes, in hindsight I wish I'd stayed at the party longer. I left early, and came upon another who had left also. Master Cole. He is a musician. We became friends, sort of." she frowned and amended, "He shouted at me actually, and then he poured out his heart. He was heart broken you see, and could not face the merriment of the party." Lord knew why she was telling Juliana this. Nicci gave a shrug of it, and bunched her lips to smile, "But for the rest there was all manner of mirth, and not just one marriage."

“Exactly.” Juliana wanted to be remembered forever and be known in future generations as a woman who dared to forge her own way in the world. Nicolette seemed to share that goal. After a rough start, they were finding they agreed on quite a few matters. The pretend Princess was just a bit further along than the Frenchwoman in achieving her goals. She also believed that she was bolder. In her opinion, Nicolette would consider the consequences before doing something rash, while Juliana wouldn't hesitate to jump in with both feet.

She had been given a generous allowance, which was more than even a lady with her expensive tastes could spend. She supposed that either her own illustrious family or the royal family of Sweden didn't want to hear whispers that they didn't sufficiently provide for one of their own. She would quite happily pay for Nicci's ticket, as well as for the most prestigious box available for rent. They would need to get to the theatre early to claim a good spot, unless reservations could be made in advance. Having a fling with an actor could be beneficial in that regard.

“A hunt sounds exciting. I just hope the gentlemen aren't offended when I bring down more game than they do.” Juliana was excellent with a bow and hunting was about the most interesting form of entertainment on the remote estate where she had been exiled. She had provided the food for her own household on numerous occasions. “Do may ladies hunt here? In Sweden, most ladies just came along to watch and be seen.”

Juliana did not associate the musician that Nicolette spoke of with the opera's composer. “Alcohol effects different people in different ways. Some act foolish and do hilarious things and others are overcome with melancholy and cry in corners.”

She arched an eyebrow at the thought of getting married while inebriated. “And those marriages are still valid, even if the couple weren't in their right minds when they wed?”

They were growing a keen understanding of each other. Both styles had their advantages and disadvantages. The Princesses greater daring, Nicolette had deduced, was assisted because she was of a rank that provided it's own safety net. Greater daring might yield greater benefits, but with the greater risk was higher chance of a fall. Not that that would bother a person of that nature, for those sort of people the risk is part of the thrill. Any prize looses is't shine swiftly enough, and they are leaping to the next new and exciting adventure.

While Nicci had only come to have anyone's protection very recently (the Basildon's), life before had taught her caution. She measured her leaps off an internal scale, and would not truly risk herself unless the prize was something she truly desired. Her prizes might come less frequently, but when they did, she'd hold onto them with a fervor. Never the less she had thought herself to be extremely daring, in compare with her life in France.

Nicolette could not help but laugh as the Princess claimed she'd out shoot the Lords of court at a hunt. Juliana was truly audacious!

"I know my cousin Lady Basildon has joined the hunts, and she's mentioned other ladies too, though I cannot remember their names. I had intention to join one if there is another, certainly, though I've not actually shot a gun before. Perhaps I should learn." Juliana must already know how to shoot, following her claim that she'd outdo the men. Nicci paused before asking for lessons. Is this wise. Her caution weighted the idea.

"Hmm." of Alchohol she nodded, "although the Musician was a curious case, for he went both ways really. Melancholy upon this, and then upon another foolishness." He'd broken his arm swinging from a tree to her party on the season after. "Do you know what I think it is..." she added quietly, "that artists are over indulgent of their own emotions. Add Alcohol to that excess, and extremes of any kind is possible. Alas, I think for an artist, to live life in a balance is a more horrid thought than the pendulum they daily experience. The do not even want help." her lips pressed together in a silencing smile then.

Lucas had not wanted her help at least.

"Ha, yes they are. Though one has been annulled after, though nobody talks about that." Nobody talked about how Heather had come to be wed to a man she despised, and then no one talked about how they had managed a divorce either. Likely due to there being an error of the King's involved there, so any comment was a comment upon the Kings meddling.

It was possible that Juliana's high status protected her from unpleasant consequences. Her family could have disowned her for having an illegitimate child, and she could have been exiled like her lover instead of sent to the country. If she had been officially betrothed to her cousin, her behavior could have been seen as treason, but there had only been an understanding that they would be betrothed when he reached his majority, which happened less than a year after her son was born.

So ladies actually hunted in England and didn't just sit on their horses and look pretty. She looked forward to joining the next one herself until Nicolette mentioned the hunters' weapon of choice. “Guns?” She made a face. “That's a good way to run off all the prey in the area. I prefer my bow. I tried to shoot once, but the noise nearly deafened me and gave me a headache that lasted for days. Maybe English hunts are not for me.” It was a shame, really, but perhaps she could organize her own hunts with friends who, like herself, used a bow.

“You might have a point about artists.” Some she had known had been prone to unpredictable mood swings. “Emotion is the motivation for art. It depends on the individual, though. I am a musician and I never get depressed or act foolish when I drink.” Juliana just became a bit more amorous than she usually was. The fake Princess was better at holding her liquor than most ladies, but she was also taller and physically stronger than the average woman.

“If only one was annulled, I guess the others were content with the choices they made that night. I can see couples using spiked punch as an excuse to marry if they were considered unsuitable for each other in some way or if their families did not approve.”

"I do not know truly." Nicolette reassured as the Princess sounded so disappointed. Nicci had never attended a hunt and spoke only from what she'd overheard from others. Juliana would not likely arrange her own hunt however, for one needed to have a forest first in which to do so! One could get in very big trouble to poach on the kings lands!

The Princess was practically an amazon. Nicolette nodded as Juliana claimed she was never sad, and also never got silly when she was drunk. Of that there was simply nothing for the French woman to say, but to smile as though impressed (for a smaller girl Nicci could drink like a fish herself) - but sometimes it was polite to let people have their moment, and this seemed to be hers.

“It might take a bit of planning. The King, also imbibed, and waived the bans, so that they could marry on the spot. Most punch bowls did not have the same, ah, benefit." Nicci frowned, "or tragedy, depending upon how you look at it." she gave a little laugh.

Juliana figured if she organized a hunt, she would ask the King for permission to hold it on his lands. She had been keeping a low profile since she had arrived in England, but she would request an audience with him eventually. Even in Sweden, he was known for being attracted to beautiful woman. Her powers of persuasion had been honed over many years, and she often used her feminine wiles to get what she desired.

If he wanted to sleep with her, she certainly wouldn't protest, but she would not become one of his mistresses. She liked variety too much to be only one man's lover and she didn't think His Majesty would approve of a promiscuous mistress. If they did frolic together between the sheets, she might decide to shag the King of every country she visited. Except for her dour imbecilic Swedish cousin.

“If the King was marrying people already, couples who would not normally be allowed to wed could take advantage of his generosity without any prior planning. Does he do that often? If so, I am glad I am not an English citizen. I would hate to wake up with a hangover and a husband I didn't want.”

"I think he does it quite regularly."

"If not marriages, then courtships. I heard he's a custom of nominating a lady at a ball, and calling to his courtiers for men who would court her." her eyes flared, her French sensibilities could not think of anything more embarrassing. Queer that the English thought it an achievement.

She nodded in agreement with Juliana, and then laughed, "It would take more than hair of the dog to sort out that headache!"

Juliana made a face. “That's horrible! What if no one wanted her? She would be mortified in front of the entire court. Or perhaps he offers incentives to those who would marry her? Maybe English ladies see being singled out like that as an honor.” If her cousin tried to auction her off, she would make a scene that would probably get her banned from Sweden forever, even if a Prince or a foreign King wanted to wed her.

“Definitely. Especially since I never want to get married at all. A lady doesn't need a husband to survive in this world, no matter what gentlemen wish us to think.”

"There is probably much more to the tale. But I agree, it sound just awful!" Nicolette was laughing of it still.

"Not to survive, I agree." Nicolette agreed with the princess on that, "but to thrive, well, some of us would be cleverest to consider the possibility. Oh I do envy you your situation Princess, such freedom, wealthy, and not one ounce bothered of what people think of you. It must be marvelous."

"Still, if one does not enjoy their own life, what it the point. So do not get me wrong, in that I adore my position here in England, and my prospects. Why I can barely wait for each day to begin so excited I am of what might become of it."

Smiling, she got to her feet, mindful of the time. Shed been here possibly an hour already! "I am so pleased that I visited, and glad too that you encouraged me to remain after my initial upset. It's far better that we carried on. This must be a wisdom you possess - to not let a hiccup disrupt."

"And I shall be in touch with the recommendations for your health based upon your astrology. Meanwhile, do take the tea wont you?" she smiled.

“But you can thrive without a husband. When you're single, you don't have to worry about anyone else and no one can tell you what to do. I would certainly call that thriving.” Juliana had never considered that her precious freedom might come with a price. In her old age, she would not have a husband, children, and grandchildren to brighten her days.

She nodded at Nicolette's praise. It was marvelous to be her, and she was happy with everything she had achieved so far.

“I can't say I was very excited back in Sweden, but since I arrived in England, I wake up knowing that adventure awaits me no matter where I go. It is a glorious feeling, is it not?”

It appeared that Mademoiselle Vauquelin had to go, which was just as well, for Juliana had other appointments this afternoon. “I'm glad you came too, and that you decided to stay.” If she had not been concerned for their mutual friend, Lord Maldon, she would have let Nicolette depart in a huff and put her out of her mind.

Juliana stood as well. “Thank you. I will look forward to hearing from you. And yes, I will take the tea.” She smiled genuinely. “You have given me hope that my suffering can be relieved. I hope we meet again soon. My butler will show you out.”

Almost as if by magic, the butler appeared in the doorway. Juliana had hired some of the best-trained servants in London. They hadn't come cheap, but their service was worth what she was paying them.

Archived