JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Officers@Leisure | 27th evening- Xmas 1677

Ambrose Turnbull

“Good evening to you too, my lord.” Beverley reminded Hortense a bit of his father when he had been that age, in appearance rather than personality.

“It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Lieutenant,” she said to the young man. He must be one of his associates, she thought. She didn't ask for his name. Some gentlemen preferred to remain anonymous and she respected their wishes, although she usually discovered their true identities without their knowledge. It wouldn't be difficult to find out more about the Lieutenant if he became a regular customer. Even those clients who gave fake names rarely fooled Hortense. She was nearly as good at gathering information as she was at running a brothel.

So the mysterious lieutenant was more interested in simple pleasures than surprises. That could certainly be arranged. Hortense smiled mischievously when Beverley praised her establishment. He had obviously told his friend that he was no stranger here, so she didn't have to treat him as if he was an infrequent visitor. “Why thank you, my lord.”

One girl in particular was staring in Beverley's direction while engaged in conversation with a middle-aged man. Hortense knew that she wanted to be the partner he chose tonight, but it was more because she and his mistress had loathed each other when the pretty brunette had been employed here. No doubt that she just wanted to gloat that she'd had her rival's lover. The Madame would make certain she stayed away from him.

“You're welcome,” she said about the drinks and then winked cheekily at Ambrose. “Sometimes simple pleasures are the best kind.”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beverley did not pay much mind to the beauty staring at him. As Hortense would likely know, the young viscount was a creature of habit and familiarity; plus, his shyness made it something easier to stick with the same small number of girls. New was not precisely Beverley's thing.

Instead, he cast his hazel eyes around for his favourites, oblivious to the infighting between brothel girls or the potential gossip that might make some wish to experience his size. The loose waves of his hair hid some of his face and tickled his neck as he did so.

If he was a more vocal or humorous man, he might have made a joke about the Lieutenant's potential preferences or even asked if the man preferred ample bosoms over arses. He was not quite that way, nor did he think he had brought company in the way of friends to the brothel.

Instead, he took a liberal gulp of his drink, feeling a nice warmth from it.

"Shall I leave you to ferret out my friend's desires?" Beverley finally asked, with a wag of his brows. Or perhaps Ambrose was less shy than he and would share them.

While Ambrose, having suffered a jolly good bruising to his ego over the past few days, was keeping a trim rein on himself, best behaviour. He barely touched his drink, and took his cue from the higher ranked officer, who was the understated epitome of an english gentleman. A look towards the girls, but nothing so bold as a smile of invitation. And conversation kept firmly upon track with the Madam's choice of topic. Topic which currently followed Ambrose comment (much to his embarrassment!) He had an uncomfortable feeling that he was being closely examined, and he did not like it.

"Ah, yes. Err... not that I, don't like some variety." they might think him a proponent of the missionary position alone. While there was indeed a great deal to be said for that, in expediency at least, but he didn't mind coming in from behind either, though admittedly up against a wall what he usually managed with a whore. But he was not about to share that with this woman of an equal age to his own mother.

"Leave?" Ambrose felt silent alarm as it sounded as though he'd missed another level of conversation in which the Madam saw Lord Beverly settled away, leaving only himself as some manner of unresolved problem. There did not seem to be girls left, while girls that were already busy did find time to make eyes at Beverly, most certainly none here looked at him. Lud. He was so out of his depth when it came to Court, even the process of brothels went right over his head. There must have been an unspoken signal that he'd missed, a signal given by Beverly, to which the Madam had confirmed? "But of course." he gave a nod of a sort with Beverly planned departure, and turned with a look of stifled confusion to the madam.

"Er, um no ferreting needed here marm. I am content to wait." He felt entirely uncomfortable, and blushed of that fact. "I'd not mind a cup of coffee though, if that's alright." he shifted in seat, so he could access his pocket to pay for the requested drink. "And perhaps a news paper."

The Lieutenant looked quite uncomfortable. Had he never frequented a house of pleasure before? Maybe he was married and not yet convinced that he should cheat on his wife. Hortense never pushed new clients into something they weren't ready for. Some gentlemen just flirted with the girls on their first visit, while others wanted to go directly upstairs.

There were quite a few girls glancing in Ambrose's direction from time to time. He wasn't the only one who liked variety. New customers were always a treat. They were all occupied with other gentlemen, but most of them were just engaged in provocative conversation, and only a few of them had been claimed for the evening.

Across the room, Hortense's most popular girl smiled in Beverley's direction. Rosaline had been with him before and had greatly enjoyed satisfying him. She hoped he would choose her tonight. He was by far her favorite john. Rosaline preferred the shy quiet types over more gregarious and overbearing personalities.

Beverley suggested that he leave Ambrose alone with Hortense, but the dark-haired gentlemen seemed a bit nervous about being left on his own. He even blushed, which the Madame found adorable. She wondered if her presence was the cause of his anxiety and decided to withdraw.

“Coffee and a newspaper,” she repeated with a reassuring smile. "I'll have them sent over immediately. Along with a girl who might put you at ease, she added to herself. “If you will excuse me, gentlemen, I see someone beckoning to me at the bar. I hope you enjoy your evening.”

{OOC: Rosaline was recommended to Beverly by Hortense in a previous thread and if I remember right, he chose her as his companion for the night. Just figured I'd throw her in there. }

• 2 weeks later...

Beverley smiled back at Rosaline. He had enjoyed their times together and would happy take her to a bed or a chair or truly anything that evening.

He leaned back some, opening his lap to some company that she might join them at her leisure; hopefully before another did so first. "Well, I shall stay if you wish it. I thought perhaps you might wish privacy to voice your desires. I have no company to distract me, but I daresay we soon shall."

He was doing a terrible job of hiding his ignorance.

For true enough Ambrose had never been here before, never attended a posh whore house where the varieties of sexual exploits were on offer from a menu wielded by the hostess. His adventures of the sexual kind had been a mix of tavern and street girls from port-towns. Bawdy banter and a quick tumble, then along on his way never to meet again. No pressure. No stress.

Bloody hell. He shouldn't have mentioned missionary position. Nobody said anything, plainly enough he'd put his foot in it again.

He was ill equipped to talk to Court ladies, insulted every one he'd spoken to, and these posh ladies of the night were an unknown breed to him as well. Less he said the better. Needless to say that any libido he might have possessed had vanished under all of this pressure. He wanted to leave.

If there was anyone looking in his direction he'd not seen them, had not seen a smile or interested glance.

His prospective friend, the Viscount seemed to be settling in, and the Madam consented to Ambrose own request of coffee and newspaper. "Thank you."

"Not at all milord." he replied to Beverly, "I might take a pipe out the front with the doorman." he gave Beverly a nod, "Could my coffee be sent out there?" he relayed his request.

Perhaps it was the behavior of a servant rather than man of noble blood, but second son of a baron was barely noble, and a man of Ambrose character even lesso. The cool of the outdoors was a welcome relief. He could breathe again!

Rosaline winked at Beverley when he smiled at her and noticed the way he settled back into his chair, as if inviting her to join him. The gentleman she was currently conversing with was one of those lonely individuals who wanted someone to talk to as much, or maybe more, than he wanted a fuck. He was rambling on about how he discovered one of his servants stealing from his country estate by the discrepancies in his ledgers. She nodded her head from time to time, pretending to be interested, but he did not have the kind of useful information she had been taught to listen for. Gently, she began the process of excusing herself. Hortense's girls were always polite, unless their clients wished them to be otherwise.

Ambrose was not the only gentleman who had felt overwhelmed in Hortense's establishment, nor the first to flee. The Madame suspected that he was accustomed to a more straightforward kind of assignation. Her girls offered that as well, and if a quickie against a wall was what he wanted, then she knew who to send out to him. However, she thought if he could just relax, he would enjoy the elegance and class her brothel offered.

“Yes, of course,” she said to his request that his coffee be sent outside. That wasn't all he would get out in the cold night air. She glanced over at one of her girls and gave her a signal. The ebony-haired beauty nodded and hurried off.

As soon as he vacated his seat, Rosaline sauntered over and draped herself across Beverley's lap, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him lightly. “I've missed you, my lord,” she purred.

Hortense grinned. “Don't worry about your friend, Lord Beverley. I think I know what will please him. Now if you will excuse me, I'll see to his order.” With a respectful nod, she headed toward the bar, her hips swaying seductively.

As Ambrose stepped outside, he might notice a small figure in a simple woolen cloak standing a few feet away. Turning toward the sound of his footsteps, the hood fell back, revealing a pretty face framed by black curls. “Evening, good sir,” she said as she pulled the hood back up again. She was shivering slightly and stepped a bit closer to him for warmth.

"Eve'n." Ambrose voice was a low rumble as he passed by the doorman a second time, coming to stand on the steps. It was a watchful pose that he'd spent many enough hours at, and with a quiet street to watch out over, he begun to relax. Pocket was touched, pipe was sought.

But the shadows were not empty.

As his eyes adjusted he made out a shape there. His head tipped in curiosity, and pipe was pushed back into place, even as a huff of breath at the joke clouded the air.

It was the dark haired girl from inside, Mistress Hortense was industrious, and her girls quick on their feet.

"This is no place for a pretty lass like you to be stood." Ambrose voice was soft, his hand extended to her with a measure of compassion, "Now how did you get so unlucky hmm? If you promise me a kiss, I'll take you back inside."

OOC: I didn't think it would hurt if I muddled post order at this point.

Beverley opened his mouth to protest Turnbull leaving, but the madam said that she would make sure he was taken care of. Perhaps she had figured something that he had not, because he had little idea what had caused the other man to leave.

"Erm, thank you, madam. You are most attentive as always," the viscount replied to Hortense politely. He had grown more at ease in the place after both coming with his father on fridays when they were in town and after the madam had helped to pick him a mistress.

He had just heaved a sigh before Rosaline slipped into his lap. He smiled at her after she gave him a kiss, just enough to give him a taste.

"And I have missed you too, Rosaline," he replied. "Windsor is, erm," he searched for a word for a moment, "...drab by comparison." That would have to suffice. The whores surely were not as fine as Madam's.

(OOC - no worries, we can split into two within the thread )

Outside

The girl in the cloak was not the barmaid who had served them their drinks, although she might have looked a bit like her in the muted light of the moon. This young woman was a prostitute, but her demeanor was unassuming instead of flashy. She had not even chosen a pseudonym like most of her coworkers and preferred to be called by her real name, which was Beth. She had not been working at Madam's long and was not as jaded as some of the other whores.

As she had hoped, the gentleman spoke to her and she smiled at him engagingly. “I thought that the cold air would be refreshing, but I didn't expect it to be this chilly.” Taking the hand he offered her, she stepped close enough that he would be able to feel her body heat.

At that moment, the door opened and a barmaid stepped out with a tray containing the cup of coffee Ambrose had ordered along with a newspaper. “It looks like you were planning to stay out here for awhile. If you don't want to go back inside yet, we can share each other's warmth. Either way, you will get your kiss.”

Inside

Rosaline smiled seductively at Beverley. “I'm glad you found Windsor boring or you might not have come back to me at all.” She knew enough about him to understand that he didn't have much of a choice as to where he went. Soldiers rarely did, and nobles didn't usually remain in London when court was not in session.

The buxom blonde wriggled on his lap. “Now that we are together again, what is your pleasure, my lord?” She always left the decisions up to him and she would be content whether he wanted to go upstairs immediately or linger a bit for drinks and conversation. Rosaline had seen his friend leave. Maybe he wanted to wait for his return. Whatever his wishes, she would indulge them enthusiastically, not because it was her job but because she was genuinely fond of him.

Outside

Ambrose knew it was not the barmaid, but one of the working girls.

"You don't get out much then do you!" Ambrose snickered that she was surprised it was cold. He was used to standing in the cold on watch, but she, was not dressed for it or accustomed.

His cup arrived, and he twirled his finger to the waitress indicate it need to go back in. "I'm not going to be blamed for giving one of Madams' girls pneumonia. Inside you go." he marched Beth up the steps into the foyer, though no further than that.

The girl was obliging, as they were, said he could have a kiss no matter what - but he failed to claim it. Gawd, what is wrong with me? "You agreed too easily, come on now, give me some sport, a kiss from those pretty lips should be a prize."

Ellen was sport, if Ellen ever let him kiss her, he'd have earned it. But not likely he'd ever get to kiss her unless there was a ring, and they had both agreed, that wasn't on the cards.

"Come along Ellen," he gave Beth a wink of encouragement.

Ambrose and Beth

“Not in the evenings,” Beth answered with a cheeky grin. It was not quite as cold during the day. She had also not had much time to prepare when Madame had motioned her outside and had grabbed the nearest cloak she could find. It probably belonged to a servant or one of the newer barmaids who had not been working long enough to afford a better one.

The waitress nodded and ducked back inside, going back to the bar and watching the door so she could deliver his coffee when the gentleman decided to return. If the coffee was cold by then, she would change it for a fresher cup.

Beth allowed him to lead her through the door, a bit surprised when he stopped in the foyer. So he wanted a challenge, did he? Like all of Hortense's girls, she could adapt to any client's needs. She wasn't sure why he called her Ellen. Perhaps he fancied a lady by that name and wanted to play out his fantasies with her? If so, she would be happy to oblige, but it was possible that he was just goading her.

“Ellen?” she asked, taking off her cloak and handing it to a servant. “I shall certainly not kiss you if you call my by another woman's name. My name is Beth and I'm really cold. Buying me a drink will help you earn that kiss you asked me for.”

Beverley smiled and chuckled shyly, "I am a man in the service of my country and go where my prince and master would go. Thankfully, His Majesty and his duties yet require him at court, erm, often." He followed the statement with a bit of a grin as he looked appreciatively at the girl's face and then at her bosoms. He directed his glance upward again.

"You are, erm, my pleasure, my dear," he said, his glance looking for her approval of his choice of words. Boldly, for him, he captured her lips in a kiss.

Ambrose and Beth

“But you get out during the day?" Ambrose was not actually interested in her life, but her reply had him realise that she did have one, a life that is. Whores probably went for walks in the park, or visited relatives, enjoyed shops, winter carnivals and joy rides.

“But I want to call you Ellen. Ack! What luck I have, that the Ellen who I'd like to kiss, is as unavailable to me out there as it is here." Did they call that irony? It felt like irony.

"So... you want a drink, and I'd like to kiss a girl named Ellen." he rubbed his chin, "What are we to do eh?"

Beverley and Rosaline

Rosaline never failed to find Lord Beverley's shy smile endearing. “Then it is fortunate for both of us that your master's responsibilities bring him to court so often and that he needs you with him. Your devotion to him allows me to show my devotion to you.”

She thrust out her breasts when his gaze lowered. Her sapphire blue gown was cut immodestly low and her charms were quite bountiful. A sultry smile was her first response to his lovely compliment. “Why thank you, my lord.” Before she could say more, he had crushed his mouth against hers. Rosaline's tongue quested against his lips and she swiveled her hips to stimulate the bulge in his breeches that gave her such delight.

Ambrose and Beth

Not many gentlemen asked her about what she did outside of the bedchamber. Beth shrugged nonchalantly. “Yes, I go out every day. There is so much to do in London.” Unless he asked her to elaborate, she would keep her daytime activities to herself. Most of the time, she visited her mother and younger siblings, whom she was helping to support. Like all of Hortense's employees, she did not whore herself out because she had to and she felt no shame about her profession. Beth adored sex, so why shouldn't she be paid for doing what she loved?

It seemed as if this handsome gentleman did want her to pretend she was the Ellen of his fantasies. She was a bit curious about the woman who had enchanted him but who apparently didn't feel the same way. Some fancy court lady who liked to toy with the affections of men with no intention of following through, most likely. Maybe she was married. Or a flirtatious maiden who was saving herself for her future husband.

“Hmmm,” She smiled saucily as she considered their options. “Perhaps we can make a deal. You buy me a drink to warm me up and I will be Ellen for the evening. Does this meet with your approval?”

After another drink and a few kisses, including one at the top of her generous cleavage, Beverley disappeared upstairs with Rosaline. Her curves had surely gotten the attention of the ample bulge in his breeches.

He did not return back downstairs for quite a little while.

(OOC - I've got sexy times coming up with Francis, so I think I'm going to pass on RPing this one out. Instead, Bevsey will wait until Ambrose has his fun! Take your time Unless Hortense wants to chat, he'll chill with a coffee with brandy)

Ambrose and Beth

It would have surprised Ambrose a great deal to have known she was not a whore for the money - but that probably explained any number of things. Like the need for talking. He was not good at talking with women, past week as an example, though he'd managed to talk to and become friends even with Ellen. Which was probably why he hoped that this woman would be like Ellen, because he knew he could manage that and not fuck it all up.

Though really, she was nothing like Ellen, and simply calling her that name would not make it any easier to navigate the minefield that was a woman who wanted to talk.

"I'll buy you a drink Beth." he settled on that, his idea of calling her Ellen had now cooled any way. It had seemed fun initially. But had upset Beth. "If you want, you can put something warmer on, and come join me on the steps." He pressed a coin for a drink into her hand. "You can tell me what you do on a day in London."

This handsome gentleman was the most unpredictable man Beth had ever met. And that intrigued her. She had not been upset that he had called her Ellen. He had wanted to earn her kiss and so she had told him that she wouldn't kiss him if he called her by another woman's name. She had been trying to give him what he wanted.

And now he addressed her by her own name and gave her a coin for a drink instead of taking her over to one of the tables. Would he be this unpredictable in bed? She certainly hoped so, and she was determined to charm him into taking her upstairs. He also seemed eager to go outside again. “Very well,” she replied. “I will join you there. Would you like me to bring your coffee to you?”

The poor girl. Once Ambrose got his confidance back again, he might be far easier to anticpate, but for now he was a half step forward and then a leap back. "That would be nice." he bunched his cheek with an awkward faced smile.

When she next found him he was in a sheltered spot off to the side of the entrance (it was his effort to be consider and not wanting to clutter up Madames entrance). He gave her a nod, he'd not been too sure if she'd actually come back, and her apperance gave him a little bit of happiness (though he tried to act all cool about that).

"So I've not been in London so long, I was just thinking you might be able to put me on to some good places to visit." he was holding his pipe in his hand, and gave a cautious smile then. "Ah, do you want a puff? The port lassies in the carib seem to like the stuff."

Beth went to the back of the brothel and took off the borrowed cloak, putting it back where she found it. While a servant fetched her own from her room upstairs, she asked for a fresh cup of coffee from the bar and a brandy for herself.

Her cloak had been a gift from a client and it was far more expensive than anything she could have bought herself. It was made of burgundy velvet embroidered in gold and was lined in a luxurious dark fur that also adorned the edges. Some gentlemen liked to have a go outside. If Ambrose was one of them, she would be able to keep warm.

She found him close to the entrance, sheltered by the awning that hung above the door and extended around the sides of the building for the comfort of Madame's clients who liked variety. Shagging in a bedroom all the time could get boring.

Beth handed Ambrose the cup of coffee. “Sure. I know London like the back of my hand. What kinds of things are you interested in?” She glanced at his pipe when he offered her a puff. Some of the other girls smoked but she had never tried it before. “If it will help warm me up, I'll give it a try.”

"Well." Ambrose held the pipe steady while he stopped to think. What was he interested in? "Err, well I do a bit of carving." many an idle hour at sea, "and I love a pint and a good sing-along."

"Nah, it wont warm you." he replied of the pipe, "it's more a contemplation than much else I suppose. Puffing on a pipe is a different sort of warmth, its a prampt to thinking about the day. Like, just now, I was thinking about my new friend inside. Well I'm hoping he's a new friend at least. He's a good sort. Not as stuffy as he looks." he took another puff on his pipe. "And perhaps now I'm thinking of you." he looked aver at her, and then tipped back his head to blow smoke circles into the air.

Beth didn't know much about art, but she did know where some of the best pubs in London were located. She rattled off a list of names. “Those are the ones I think would interest you most. If you don't find one you like, I can give you more.”

She decided she would pass on the pipe. As he spoke of his contemplations, she watched the smoke as it curled into the frigid air. She had seen Ambrose with Lord Beverley so he must be the friend he was talking about. Beth didn't know him herself, but she had heard the other girls whispering about him.

She stepped closer when he said he was thinking of her. “Oh? You have me curious now.” She grinned playfully. “A kiss for your thoughts.”

"I shall have to try those then." He replied, though it was unlikely. Visiting a pub alone in a town he was a stranger in, did not hold any appeal. The conversation topic was more of an apology really, she'd got the unlucky straw, but she seemed to have have a good life going for herself in London. Perhaps she could tell about it? Or not. It was acceptable that she kept mum, whores did not usually talk about thmselves. It was probably a rule on some charter somewhere.

"Yes you. I was wondering how the mistress pays you, by the hour or by the trick? I hope for your sake it is the former. I am not adding to the lucritiveness of your evening, I am sorry." he felt bad for the girl, who was perfectly lovely enough. "Visiting this place not my idea, I'd thought for few pints and a laugh myself, but was not about to say any different to Lord Beverlys wishes." he dawdled slowly, cup to his lips he took a sip.

Mind slipped to easier days, of the life at sea. He should not be here, this feeling of not belonging continued to grow. "...got any brothers in the navy?" he asked her soberly, "I joined when I was but a youth of 15, it doesnt seem so long ago really." Puff of pipe again. "It's surprising how quickly a life passes."

Beth was a bit disappointed that he had no intention of shagging her tonight. He seemed more eager for company than sexual gratification. He must be new to London and probably doesn't have many friends yet. That's why he agreed to come here at his companion's suggestion. Whorehouses, even the posh ones, didn't appeal to all men.

“That information is confidential,” she responded when he asked about how she was paid. She found him appealing for some reason. He seemed so natural and honest. “Don't apologize. I promise you that I won't starve.”

She took a sip of her brandy as he spoke about his life in the navy. “I'm the oldest child in my family. One of my younger brothers wants to join the military but he's not old enough yet.” Impulsively, she leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “You have your whole life ahead of you. You'll find your place here in London.”

Beth smiled, a bit shyly. “If you want some company when you visit those pubs, I have two nights off a week.” He probably wouldn't want to be seen associating with a common whore, but she liked him and she wouldn't mind getting to know him in a setting where he felt more at ease.

He'd sort of known that it was not a question to ask, nor to expect an answer. Her reply did pacify his sense of wasting her time however. "That's good to know." Turnbull replied with a lopsided smile.

She was really rather sweet. "I'd like that Beth." the Lieutenant had very little arrogance, and had no problem with being seen with a whore. "Perhaps you'd let me buy you dinner one night then? It would be right nice to have company."

He wondered a little about her family, but supposed her tale was not different to many others. The younger brother who wanted to join the army, had been him once upon a time. Although his circumstances had been more privileged, he'd had an easy road really, compared to some.

"Thank you." he uttered quietly, embarrassed, but happy of her kindness. He hoped it was true. Hoped he'd find his niche one day. "I could give your brother a tour around the barracks one day, if he likes."

Beth grinned. She had expected him to refuse her offer, but instead he wanted to buy her dinner. “I'd love that, my lord.” she said. “I'm free on Friday and Sunday. I can also show you around London if you wish.”

She was pleased that he enjoyed her company. Most gentlemen she met were understandably more interested in sex rather than in her. Ambrose was different. He saw her as a potential friend. And he even offered to give her brother a tour of the barracks. “He'd be thrilled. He talks of little else but joining the military and fighting for his country. He's twelve and I hope there's no threat of war when he's old enough to become a soldier.”

"Friday then." He chose the soonest and here she'd see him grin, shoulders relaxing more, care lines easing. "Shall I pick you up, perhaps around six?"

"There is alwasy a threat of war." He replied honestly, "better for you to hope that he's well trained and able, and under a good command." he took another sip of his coffee, "and tis a good career for a young man, you get to see some of the world, and make a difference."

“Yes, that's fine.” Beth was pleased that he wanted to see her again so soon. She was a whore, but she was also a romantic young woman and this gentlemen intrigued her. “Do you mind meeting here? I will wait outside for you.” She was embarrassed to have him pick her up at her home, as it was not the nicest of neighborhoods.

“I guess you're right, but it seems as if the threat is stronger now. Maybe there will be peace when Jasper is old enough to join and if there is war, he will be a seasoned soldier by then. At the moment, all he thinks about is fighting, but I will envy him if he gets to see more of the world.” Her voice was wistful. “I doubt I will ever leave London.”

"Certainly." new to London, it would be easier for him to find this address again, rather than some waysoverthere street he'd never heard of before.

"For a navy man there is always a conflict here or there to attend to, you don’t earn money polishing your sword in peace. But yes, you mean the talk of joining sides against France." he nodded his head to her comment. Hers must not be a family with military connections, for she did not see aware that even right now there were English mercenaries fighting alongside the French and killing protestants.

"I'd not recommend travel in your profession." he replied soberly, "seems like you are on a good wicket here. The madam treats you well, doesn’t she?"

Beth was relieved that he didn't mind meeting her at Madame's. Since he was obviously not comfortable in a whorehouse, she had been afraid he would insist on picking her up at the house she shared with her parents and younger siblings. She spent many of her nights here, though, and only visited her family a few times a week.

“I'm not worried about minor skirmishes. Those will give him practice. It is the war against France that scares me. If England does join, it might take years and then Jasper could be shipped out as soon as he enlists.” She was not an expert in military matters but she knew that commoners were generally sent to the front lines. Her little brother deserved more than being cannon fodder. “Even if it never happens, in a couple of years, there may be another war with some other country. I just want him to be safe.”

She smiled. “Yes, Madame Hortense treats me well, but I don't plan on staying in this profession forever.” By the time a whore was thirty, her career was all but over. Men wanted young, pretty diversions. Beth was only twenty, but she knew eventually she would have to find a husband or another occupation.

Archived