JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An Offering Of Goodwill [27/12, 3 pm]- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

George was satisfied as Lady Habersham presented a gloved hand, it suited his finer sensibilities well. A muffled kiss was placed. "My father, bless his soul, was named George Hardwick the second." He uttered without betraying any more or less than asked.

"Perhaps you also knew my mother, Mary-Christabel? I have been told I have her eyes." If Edith did recall Mary-Christabel George would wish to hear her memories of the mother he'd lost far too young. Yet for now Sophia sought his attention.

Lifting his head he rose eyebrows, and then made an agreeable expression. "Ah yes, you attended our open day last spring did you not? Perhaps you have employment for one or another of, they might be pleased of that indeed, for the year nears it's ending. Soon I shall be greeting the next intake of talent..." he smiled including Esteban and Edith in the conversation, "...would you believe this spring the Institute shall see a glass artist in residence!" before he returned his gaze to Sophia, awaiting her questions specifics.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophia hoped that she had made a positive impression on Lady Habersham. She seemed like a very proper lady, and perhaps she would tell other courtiers about her kind heart and her eagerness to help improve the lives of the English people. She had not heard of any other foreigners who donated their time and their money to charity. It was a way to lessen the negative impact the opera had made on her reputation and show her in a more favorable light.

The diminutive blonde was serious about becoming more respectable in the eyes of other courtiers. At first, she had wanted to become accepted in the proper court circles to please her husband, but now she wanted to do it for herself as well. If she became known as an upstanding and honorable young lady, no one would believe she misbehaved even if she did. And Esteban might finally call off his watchdog and give her more freedom.

She listened politely as Edith and George spoke about his family. Apparently she had known his father, and perhaps his mother as well. Idly, Sophia wondered if anyone besides Lord Kingston had known her own father. He had traveled to England many times, mostly on business, and he had always come back with interesting stories to tell about the people he had met there.

Lord Chichester remembered that she and Esteban, along with Lord Melville, had attended his open day. She recalled it with fondness, for the artists had allowed her to try different techniques and she had learned a lot about painting that afternoon.

Her eyes lit up when he mentioned a glass artist. “Would he by any chance be a glassblower from Murano?” she asked. The most beautiful glass in the known world was made on the island of Murano and Sophia had visited once and watched the artists at work. She had been gifted with several pieces of jewelry and pretty trinkets by those she had charmed, and she had received many more from the opera aficionados in Venice who had been enchanted by her voice.

Sophia glanced over at Esteban. “We had spoken about having our portraits painted by one of your artists. Would one of them be able to paint us soon? If possible, I would love for mine to be done by the end of the year.” Her husband would know why. It would make a perfect holiday gift for Juan when he joined them. If his duties made traveling impossible, she could give it to him the next time they went to Madrid.

When people reached a certain age they heard a name and were certain that they knew it, but yet could not visualize a face. Such was dilemma that Edith faced. "I do not recall your mother, but I shall think more upon it. Was she often in London? What years would she have been at court? Could it have been 1660?" That was the year the King was restored and everyone returned to London to celebrate. She kept quiet as George spoke of his institute.

Esteban nodded to his wife's request. "Si, we would wish to employ a portrait artist, a skilled one."

"My mother passed before the Restoration." George kept his expression plain of this, but checked himself for the foolishness of the moments excitement. "Though perhaps that is when you met my Father, we did all attend." He'd been only 12, Mirtel only 5, they had attended the parade, but not the banquets.

"The Dulwich Institute is for English artists." he kindly reminded the young woman. "The artist in this instance specializes in our Flint Glass, invented England's very own George Ravenscroft." he gave a small smile, then completed, "though no doubt after their year in Dulwich, they shall travel onwards to Venice to extend their skills more. No mans education is ever complete."

"Ah, so short a time, what a pity you did not mention this some months ago." It was a common mistake, he had to explain the process to people over and over again, that a quality oil painting could not be produced in a week. "You remember, at the open day, the artist explained how one works the pains lean to thick, that each layer takes different period of time to dry, with the thickest layer taking the very longests. You might have a thin painting within a week yes, but it would lack substance, heart. No, I suggest then a watercolour. Or a pastel perhaps. Pastels of course travel worse, the pigments take some months to settle properly before they can be safely moved. So perhaps a watercolour then. The greater the number of sittings you allow the artist, the greater the result shall be."

"What address shall I send him to." he hoped the business over with, as he was upon leisure at the moment and he found this manner of conversation to be monotonous. Portraits, portraits, always portraits.

He glanced towards the door to the Queens apartment, wondering how the quede to be announced to the Queen was progressing.

“Oh.” There was a trace of disappointment in her voice as George explained that the glass artist was not from Murano. Sophia would have liked to commission some more jewelry. Glass gems were much cheaper than precious stones and they came in more colors. She had no idea what Flint glass was or if jewelry could be made of it. “I hope you will have another open day this spring so we can watch him work.”

Esteban agreed to have their portraits painted, but it seemed as if the quality of the painting she desired would take much longer than a week. Perhaps it wouldn't be ready by the time Juan arrived, but he might like to watch as she sat for it. She had a specific idea in mind, and she thought that he would like it. Whether her husband would approve was another story, but she thought she would be able to convince him.

Or she could give Juan two portraits, one for Christmas and one when they traveled to Madrid. “We want them to be of the finest quality,” she said, looking to Esteban for confirmation, “so that they will last for many generations. I will sit for him however many times he requires.” She left it to Esteban to provide the address. They could discuss various mediums when the artist met with them.

Sophia followed Lord Chichester's gaze toward the Queen's door and then turned to Lady Habersham. “Have you ever had a portrait painted of yourself and your lord husband, my lady?”

Esteban did not act surprised when George explained the time commitment for a quality portrait. He nodded his agreement to prefer something with oil and something that would take weeks to complete. The embassy address was provided.

Edith was asked about portraits and she was only too happy to express her opinion. "My husband thought to save money on a water color portrait of his sister. He never cared too much for the woman as she had an annoying snort. Snorting is not gentile, but it was not her only shortcoming. She had the greatest temper I ever did see. As children, they fought regularly you see."

"The painter he hired was not too skilled if you asked me. He was a foreigner. I think Portuguese or Sardinian or something like that. We could never understand the man really. My husband would pretend to, but I knew better. They would speak in French, where both were equally challenged. Perhaps that was why it was a water color. Now that I think on it, it may have been the painter that convinced my husband, though I am not ruling out my husband's thriftiness My memory is no longer as sharp as I would like any more. It is really a curse of old age. I have the most difficult time finding things because I forget where I placed them. I have one servant who is good at finding things that are misplaced. She is industrious. My other maid is only too happy to ignore work and linger about ... taking extra time on her errands. If she thinks I do not know she is lollygagging about, she has another thing coming I dare say. I had her followed one day just to see where they go. It was no church that was calling to her, I can tell you that. She's Irish you see, and would just as soon be sniffing out beer than do any work, leaving the others to pick up her load. She will be in for a surprise soon enough."

At the end of her ramble she grew silent, as if searching for what the topic had been. "I have forgotten what we were discussing."

Mercifully, the door opened and the Duchess of Ormonde was ushered out. Lady Mountjoy signaled Esteban and Sophia to approach. Esteban tried to excuse himself from Habersham but the old lady held up a finger silencing him as she was getting near a recollection.

"Watercolor," Edith blurted, quite pleased that she had recalled the topic at last. She began picking up the story as if nothing else was important at the moment. "The painter claimed he finished and delivered it to my sister-in-law, but it was raining when the man delivered it ... water not being good for watercolor paintings. Of course the portrait was ruined, or so he said. My husband paid him his fee nevertheless, but I think he deserved nothing," she exclaimed, now looking at George intently as if he would agree.

Details committed to memory, George murmured a vague promise to Sophia of a special event that they would be invited to, "but I can say no more for now." he wished to find a laudable patroness for his spring event in a Duchess, or perhaps the Queen herself.

And then Edith was asked about portraits. For a moment he feared she would ask for one next week, and require an explanation too. But thankfully age does accrue wisdom (and a certain freedom with topic it also seems). So George came to see how Lady Habersham was enjoyable company, her train of thought meandered like a pleasantly undulating river, perhaps like the Thames itself.

George was enamoured.

The Toldedos were motioned for - but Esteban in his respect for advanced years, was held at bay by her commanding digit.

"Excuse me Lady Habersham, but I believe we must loose our companions a time." he smiled, "you must excuse me for my expression of celebration, for I relish the oportunity to speak to you one to one." he made excuse for the Toldos to make a dash for it. While he thought to take Sophia's seat.

"I only hope that we shall not set all the tongues to wagging; an batchelor Earl, flirting about an eligible Widow." he gave the vintage woman a wink, teasing her gently "though we could put on a show for it, what would the good Lady Ormond think?"

"But where were we? Oh yes, the watercolour painting. Yes I think your husband was very charitable to pay such a remiss artist, who in their right mind would deliver a watercolour when it's raining. Now that said... I once saw a pastel painting that, don't ask me why, had been laid out on an outdoor table when a wayward cloud discouraged it's raindrops. It was rushed inside of course, and the painting, of Poppies, thought to be ruined. Yet would you believe when it dried it was a most remarkable effect. The flowers needed to be retouched of course, but the overall effect, with the melted blurriness of the garden beyond, was utterly remarkable.

"The artist tried to recreate the effect later on. Trying sprinkling of water, then spray from watering can, but none of those attempts achieved what the watery heavens could."

Sophia pouted prettily when George only hinted at his future event. “You just like teasing me,” she accused playfully. “I can hardly wait until spring now.” Lord Chichester was as aloof as her husband, when last season he had called her his friend when they had encountered each other on the grounds of the house of Masters Cole and Greyson. He had been out of favor and she had promised that she would never shun him. She had lifted his spirits that day, or so she had thought.

Now that he was back in the good graces of court, maybe he no longer wanted her friendship. Or perhaps everything their tentative relationship had been ruined in the gazebo when Lucas had ripped the skeletons out of his closet. Maybe he didn't trust her because of that. Or maybe he was just reserved in the presence of Esteban. She felt a bit sad, as if something precious had been lost to her. It was possible she was just imagining things and that he would be as friendly as he had been before if they were not in such a formal setting.

If Lady Habersham had ever commissioned a portrait of herself or her husband, she did not speak of it, instead launching into a story about a watercolor her husband had painted of his sister. Unaccustomed to the elderly, she found the lady's rambling a bit annoying, mainly because she was young and impatient and wanted to hear the end of the story.

Yet then the door opened and Lady Ormonde came out. Sophia sighed when Lady Mountjoy motioned for Esteban and herself. She had hoped that they would be the last people summoned, for she wished to converse with her privately after her husband had made his donation. And didn't an Earl outrank a Baron, even one who had become an Ambassador? If they were brought before the Queen, maybe Ursula would agree to speak to her while Lord Chichester and Lady Habersham were with Her Majesty.

Her husband was ready to go and the petite blonde stood up. Lady Habersham, however, stopped their exit by holding up a finger to prevent them from excusing themselves before she had finished the story. It was precisely because watercolors were so easily ruined that Sophia preferred that her portrait be painted in oil. Pastels were even more fragile than watercolors.

George reminded Edith that the Toledos had been called for and Sophia smiled gratefully, waiting for Esteban to take the lead as a proper wife should.

George and Edith

George provided the excuse needed by the Toledos as Edith turned to see the Queen's lady beckon. Rather than stew over the neverending parade of ladies that were admitted in front of her, Habersham returned her attention to the charming Earl. "Yes, we must let them go."

With a look to the two foreigners, Lady Habersham bid them "good fortune." That freed Esteban to give the elder a small bow and then collect his wife and move towards the open door.

Older women were wise enough to recognize insincere flattery when offered but it was no less welcome. In fact when offered with flourish, as Chichester had done, it liberated Edith to laugh and play along. It was a merry game for a lady too long removed from the days in which such flattery mattered. It was a measure of charm that a gentleman would engage her in such a way. She was fast becoming fond of the young lord.

"Lady Ormonde shall have to stew in jealousy that I am in the company of such a charming lord," she replied gaily as she nodded towards the departing Duchess. "I am certain that I can reply upon your chivalry sir to dispense with the need for a chaperone for myself," she played along.

"Poppies. How wonderful." His story was well done and more upbeat that her own tale of rain. "I should enjoy seeing the painting if it is still in London," she noted. "I suspect you have a collection of memorable paintings my lord for you have an eye for quality." There was a moment of silence for him to invite her to view the collection one day. One could tell much of a man by the paintings he collected. "I have but a small collection these days after giving nephews many of the works." There was her grandson too, but she did not like to speak of him.

Sophia

Esteban and Sophia were ushered past the Life Guard at the door and into the Queen's Study. As Sophia expected, the Queen was in attendance, perched regally upon a cushioned chair beside a small table and a roaring fire.

Esteban bowed deeply as they approached. Ursula began to explain. "Her Majesty wished to be here to thank you again for the gift you presented at the ball. I mentioned your desire to assist her charities and so she thought to hear your offer for herself."

"Indeed, please begin," Karoline urged. Esteban found his throat dry as he had not expected the Queen to be present. Had he thought she might attend personally, he might have authorized a greater amount, but he told himself that it would not matter. He looked to his wife to present the Spanish offer.

The Toledos, the Queen, and Ursula

“Thank you, my lady,” Sophia replied when Edith wished them good fortune. “It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope that we shall see each other again soon.”

She walked beside Esteban as Lady Mountjoy led them past a Life Guard and into the room from which Lady Ormonde had recently emerged. Why had she not noticed him before? The Queen must be present or there would be no reason for him to stand guard. A genuine smile lit up her fair features when she saw Karoline sitting beside the fire, and she dropped a pretty and respectful curtsy as her husband bowed.

Elation coursed through the young Baroness' veins at Ursula's words. Her Majesty was so pleased with the pyramid that she wanted to thank her again for it! Sophia had hoped that she would be enchanted by a gift from her homeland, one that symbolized the true meaning of Christmas.

She glanced over at Esteban, assuming that he wanted to present the contribution. However, he was looking at her. Was he actually tongue-tied or was he giving her the chance to speak in her new capacity as an Ambassador's wife? For all she knew, this was to be a test of her budding diplomatic skills.

Sophia curtsied again. “I told my lord husband about the presentation at Church, Your Majesty, and he thought it was an excellent idea. We care deeply about the welfare of the people in our adopted country, we would like to make a monetary donation on behalf of Spain.

“And I, personally, should like to donate my time to assist in your charities wherever and however I am needed most. I feel led by God to help those in need. He has given me so much and I want nothing more than to humbly serve Him in all things.”

George and Edith

"Summon a guard, I would not trust me as far as I could throw me." Chuckling that she played along with the game, George settled into seat next to Edith. His friend Toledo and young bride made good their escape, and he, he was quite happy with present company.

"Yes I would like to see it also, but alas it went into an illustrious though private collection. That is the goal of artists, yet tragedy also. Artwork placed upon display and snapped up quickly after scant moments in the spotlight, is then closeted away in a house where perhaps a half dozen occupants might appreciate it.

"As it is, I do have a collection myself." he replied with an animation of features that betrayed he was enjoying himself. "I adore pastoral scenes, landscapes, the idyll of our English countryside, the valleys, forests, fens, lakes rivers and ranges... and then I have my collection of artworks from aboard."

Catching himself short then, he declared an "Aha!" and wagged finger, "but you are an adept in the wiles of your sex, to set me to talking, all the whiles entangling your fingers into my heart." though he hardly looked to mind of that at all. Rather, after a pause he asked, "Shall I inform you of my quest Lady Habersham? It strikes me that you might be perfectly positioned to advise me for it, if you are not the very answer yourself."

Sophia

"Please continue," Ursula urged. She had obviously been expecting an amount commensurate with the candle lighting ceremony and now was waiting to hear the rest of it. In fact, the Queen was here not so much to thank her again for the pyramid than to hear what the Spanish were promising in the way of material support.

It was a test of sorts for Esteban. He had hoped to capitalize on Sophia's shared ethnic heritage with the Queen. In doing so, he assumed it was better for her to do the speaking. There were other motives as well. If the Queen seemed displeased with the amount of the donation, Esteban could pretend it was his wife's decision. Esteban signaled his wife to continue.

George

"But there are already guards here," Edith noted, with a glance towards the Queen's door. "So, I trust you will remain on your best behavior." She offered an amused smile.

Admitting at last that he had an art collection, the Earl stopped short of an invitation, but her face gave nothing away of the mild disappointment. Younger girls were prone to signal unhappiness in a way to manipulate men but mature ladies had their pride about such things. They could pretend most anything bothered them not.

"Pastoral scenes indeed." She smiled at images that formed in her mind. "I should have liked an artist with me when we went walking In the Highlands one summer," she began. "I fought the idea of going of course as the weather is too intemperate and the hills too high. And the people, well, you can hardly understand them. They claim to be speaking English, but they must have been taught with a mouth full of pebbles." A pause. "Now then, where was I. Oh yes. Some man in a soiled tartan told us that the view atop this bluff was worth the hike. Seedy little fellow was just too nice to trust really. Anyhow, we ventured there on mules of all things. Can you imagine? It was good that my lady friends did not see me. It took four hours to reach a place that was nothing but a pile of rocks on top a hill. Wouldn't you know but there was a fog that day and we could not view the valley clearly? As I sat upon the rocks in disappointment, I saw a lonely thistle peering out from atop the heap of rocks. I asked my husband how a plant could grow on nothing but rock, amid wind and snow, and the worst God could throw at it. He replied as he often did, with an overly long scientific explanation. He was well-read on Scotland you see." There was a pause as she realized she need to get to the crux of the tale. "Yet, I found the lonely thistle an inspiration my lord. I could not say then, but I think I know why now." The fact that she sometimes felt herself a lonely thistle at court would not be disclosed.

"A quest?" That caught her fancy. Even moreso, the man wanted her advice. There was no greater compliment to pay an elder. "Do tell me how I might be of assistance."

"I shall try." It was a promise. He was becoming far too fond of Edith to wish anything but a smile of happiness upon her aged features.

And then she had a tale to tell, one to which the Earl listened. His facial expressions reflecting the rise and fall of the tale, even chuckling as she revealed a mule-back ride. It must have been many years ago, no person in their right mind would attempt hoist her atop a animal these days! And then she told of the ruined view, and the solitary thistle that became the unlikly starlet.

Her question had been laced with romance, but her husband had not seen that. "Men." George uttered an echo to her disappointment of so many years past.

As an artist (or perhaps simply by his nature) George easily drew metaphors, and understood her question came from a perspective of empathy with that thistle-upon-high. Perhaps she'd told a hundred people the tale before him, but of that moment he felt honored by it's revelation; the baring of a soul.

"I am transported." he uttered, placing a hand to his heart, "while I might claim you had no need for an artist upon that trip, for you have caught in moving detail that a brush might never describe, I wish that this artist might have had oportunity to respond to your question; That resilient bloom that holds miraculous strength, which is singularly spectacular, and would be quite out of place in the cliche bouquet of garden flowers. Set apart like that, both protected and hailed. And I would like to say, though it might be inappropriate, loved for her uniqueness."

"Ah yes, my quest." he was brought back to sense. "A quest I have for a patroness for an exhibition of one of my collections that I wish to give. The arts are a gentle subject, and I feel it would be best served by a woman of vision to place her name upon it. Speaking with you today, I would wonder if you might enjoy that role, conditional upon your viewing the pieces prior to a commitment of course." she might realise he had been thinking of showing her the collection after-all. He'd just with held blurting out with it recklessly. "Or if not, you might recommend me some other to it... what advice would you give a gentleman as I?"

The Toledos, the Queen, and Ursula

Both Ursula and Esteban urged her to continue, but Sophia didn't know what else she was supposed to say. She had already offered both money and her time and she felt a bit confused, although she remained outwardly composed. What had she forgotten?

Certainly, Lady Mountjoy didn't expect her to inform the Queen about what had happened at Bedlam! A cold tendril of fear slid inexorably down her spine. Esteban couldn't know where she had been on Christmas afternoon. She had not taken Karl with her and had left word with the servants that she had gone out to paint. Perhaps Her Majesty was concerned that the patients were being mistreated and that was another reason she had agreed to see them personally.

How do I get out of this? she thought, her mind filled with panic. I am trying to earn his trust, not destroy it. Sophia clasped her hands in front of her, so that no one in the room would see how they were shaking. I must say something else about the donation … or even better … give Esteban the opportunity to speak.

“Since the donation is on behalf of Spain, Your Majesty, My lord husband should be the one who gives you the details.” The Queen would expect her to defer to Esteban. It was the proper thing for a wife to do, to give her husband the credit even though the initial idea had been hers. And Esteban would be pleased, for she was acting humbly and respectably.

Her mind was still in turmoil, but a polite courtly smile remained on her face. At times like this, her acting skills served her well. Her hands were still shaking, but with them clasped together demurely, hopefully no one would be able to tell.

George

Edith marveled at the response. "You should have been with us on that trip," she sighed. Always one to defend her husband outwardly, she felt no qualms in that moment of betraying her husband's memory by wishing that a man of artistic persuasion had been there to describe the scene through nuanced eyes.

They say that one gains a valuable perspective when viewing something through the eyes of a child. It is no less true for an artist that can see the sublime in the mundane. Some older ladies would find it nonsense while others would welcome the respite. Edith was the latter.

Pleased by the offer more than he knew, Habersham nevertheless sought to understand what he had in mind. "An intriguing offer my lord. Just what do you have in mind as to the role of a patroness?" In the past, uncouth men of questionable background had used that term solely to solicit money for their causes. Here, Edith was sure George meant something else. Wisdom taught one to learn the perimeters of a position before accepting it.

Sophia

Esteban had been expecting to use his wife as a test. Should the Queen express displeasure with the amount, he might up it, making it seem that the frugality had been hers. Instead, Sophia had volleyed the presentation back to him. Ignorant that she did so to hide her own deceit, Toledo assumed that his wife had other purer motives.

"It would not have been proper for us to light a candle at your ceremony. While the Kingdom of Spain stands with England, it does so with deference to English traditions and sentiments. While we would never wish to suggest that we could match the generosity of English lords for English charities, we would nevertheless wish to give you half the amount in a more quiet fashion as a sign of support for such noble endeavors. We know that you shall be able to employ it in a way to ease the suffering of helpless of London." It was a diplomatic presentation by a diplomat, and it was well-received.

"Gracias Lord Toledo," Lady Mountjoy replied with a small smile. The Queen nodded her head in agreement. "Every coin contributed shall mean a better future for the unfortunate. Her Majesty will be sure to share the information with His Majesty about your largesse."

Esteban smiled and bowed his head. "Thank you."

Mountjoy looked at Sophia, who had mentioned the situation at Bedlam. The question was whether to discuss it now in front of the Queen, or later. Sophia had expressed caution before, and Ursula worried that Sophia was the victim of hyperbole. "Lady Toledo, was there another matter you wished to discuss?" There would be few chances to gain the Queen's personal ear. Would Sophia overcome her trepidation and choose to discuss such a subject in front of her husband?

Sophia was quite impressed with Esteban's speech and she noted smugly that he had increased the amount to be donated by a hundred pounds. It had been right to defer to him in this instance and she realized that she had a lot to learn about diplomacy. She would not have been nearly as eloquent or as humble. Now she understood why Juan trusted him to be his representative in England. What he lacked in marital proficiency he more than made up for with clever political expertise.

She just hoped he wouldn't tell her to deduct the rest of the donation from her redecorating budget as well.

The Queen and Lady Mountjoy accepted his donation graciously, and Sophia smiled and curtsied again when Esteban thanked them for volunteering to tell the King about his generosity. It was all she could do not to beam with satisfaction. Her nervousness disappeared. Esteban would certainly appreciate her for suggestion that he contribute now that his donation had been so well-received.

She was basking in satisfaction when Ursula asked her if there was something else she wished to discuss. There were many things she would like to say, but she knew which subject that the Queen's lady was referring to. Her anxiety returned in full force, and her hands were clasped so tightly together that her knuckles were turning white.

What did she do now? If she told Ursula that she wanted to discuss the matter with her privately, it might insult the Queen. She could claim that it was a personal matter and give Esteban the opportunity to excuse himself, leaving the ladies to themselves. But what if he wanted to stay? Once she started speaking, he would know why she had wanted him to leave.

Another option was to say that she could express herself better in German and ask her husband if she minded if she spoke in her native tongue. He knew that the Queen and Lady Mountjoy were also German. Yet there was a chance that either Ursula or Karoline would revert to English at some point and then Esteban would know that his wife had been trying to deceive him.

Or she could say that the matter could wait until another time, although then she would lose the opportunity to speak to the Queen about the negligence she believed was going on at Bedlam. If Ursula didn't think the issue was important enough, Her Majesty would never know about the suspected abuse of some of London's most vulnerable residents.

Maybe Esteban wouldn't be angry with her. He had only asked where she had been on Sunday afternoon, not the day before. When she had decided to join Lady Buccleuch in delivering cakes to Bedlam, Sophia had sent her carriage home and told the driver to tell her husband who she was with, believing that he would approve of her association with the Duchess. Her servants had been told she had gone out to paint, but at that time, she had not known that she would meet up with her friend. Sophia wasn't sure whether the driver had spoken to Esteban. She had not mentioned where they had been headed.

Wouldn't it make Spain look good if the Ambassador's wife discovered that the patients at the hospital were being mistreated and brought it to the Queen's attention? It would show that she was not only concerned about those who were unable to help themselves, but that she was serious about devoting her time to charitable pursuits. Certainly Esteban couldn't object to that. Maybe he would even be proud of her.

Taking a deep breath, she began to speak. “Yes, there is something I believe that Your Majesty should know. On Christmas Day when I went into London to paint, I ran into Lady Buccleuch, who was planning to deliver cakes to the patients at the Bethlehem Star Hospital. Her Grace asked me if I wanted to come along and I agreed to join her. In fact, that visit was one of the reasons I became so interested in donating my time to charity.

“The Warden's office was richly furnished with fine things, which contrasted with the austere look of the rest of the hospital. While we spoke to him, I offered to sing for the patients and he left to prepare things for me. It took him quite a long time and when he returned, he led us to a room where some of the patients were gathered. None of them looked insane at all, and we noticed that one of the guards we had seen when we entered was among them. We confronted the Warden and he admitted that he had substituted his employees for the patients out of concern for our safety.

"We saw none of the real patients. It was as if they had been deliberately hidden away. I am concerned that they are being mistreated and that the Warden is misusing the funds that are supposed to pay for their care. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seemed like something suspicious was going on.”

A glistening tear rolled down her cheek. “I feel so sorry for the patients. They cannot speak for themselves and they deserve to be treated well. It hurts me to think that they might be abused or neglected. I thought that Your Majesty would wish to know about this possible injustice to some of your most defenseless citizens.”

George smiled of her reply, and imagined that at least for the moment she did not feel like that thistle of long ago. Companionship. It was a enjoyable moment - the Earl was defied to understand it, but felt a peaceful calm.

"By Partoness, I envisage the exhibition be in honor of the lady, who might allow it to bear her name, and the show would no doubt benefit from greater attendance for that fact. Perhaps not only through the weight of courts respect, but also through her assistance perhaps, in telling all her circles and etcetera."

"It is scant secret my lady, but I am a catholic, and thus it is hardly appropriate that I stand visibly in charge of the manner of event I envisage. But in the background, I can serve well. When it comes to the arts I have little desire for self-aggrandisement, it is the arts themselves that I wish to be the stars of the show. It is my belief that the work I have to put on show is of such a fine quality, that my esteemed patronesses position in court would only benefit also." he completed, hoping he was fully explained now.

Then in afterthought he added, "...there would be a ribbon to cut and speech to make too."

By throwing in those last two tempters, one might guess that George's heart had become set upon Edith taking that role.

Notably he did not mention money at all, George was of the school that one did not discuss filthy lucre with the gentler sex, apart from the fact that the thought of needing money had never occurred to the affluent Earl! Money was no object.

Esteban hid his surprise as Sophia launched into a tale of possible mistreatment of patients at Bedlam. The evidence of mistreatment was thin, but he said nothing.

Karoline looked to Ursula. Her Mistress of Robes understood. "We shall ask after it," Lady Mountjoy replied. "It is possible that some of the insane might have attacked you and he was concerned for your safety," Ursula noted in a pragmatic voice. "Her Majesty appreciates you bringing this to her attention and inquiries will be made." Esteban remained silent, having nothing to add.

"Was there anything else?" Mountjoy inquired. Toledo looked at his wife briefly, just in case she had something to add, before replying on his own behalf. "There is nothing else but to wish you the happiest of holidays. Thank you for your time this day." With that he was prepared to take his leave with his wife.

George

"I see," Edith replied as George explained himself. She had little love for Catholics but Lord Chichester seemed an exception. "I shall be pleased to assist you my lord. I am flattered that you asked."

A speech, oh my." A story came to mind but she stifled it. "What do you see as the next steps? When might I preview the collection?" Her calm hid well the growing excitement she felt at seeing an interesting collection. It was not every day that one got to visit an earl's private collection, let alone an artistic minded one.

"Asked? Nay, I was Inspired." George flashed a smile with a sense of elation. While Lady Habersham was known at court as something of an eccentric, she was regarded with a widespread fondness by many. If courts fondness was a half of what George had come to feel, then her support for the Exhibition would be a grand portent indeed.

It would be no repeat of the open day, of which he was determined to do better-than.

"Yes a speech." she seemed for a moment to be about to launch into a story, but then did not. His eyes crinkled, silently bemused of that. Had he put her at a loss for words? Surely not!

"Well we have ample time. I do not intent for the Exhibition to be any sooner than May... though of course the pieces are available for your personal viewing much sooner. If you have a half day to spare me some time this Christmas, then I shall arrange your tour. Shall we include luncheon while at it? Ah, and of course you may bring your chaperones, you know how I fear we shall set Lady Osmonde to talk!"

"Perhaps we think of some inspiring name for the Exhibition meanwhiles?"

They didn't believe her. Sophia was certain of it. She was now more determined to go back and find some kind of proof that they would not be able to disregard. But at least they had promised to look into it. Whether they would keep that promise was impossible to tell. If they did discover that the warden was hiding something, maybe they would be grateful to her for informing them about the situation.

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” she said, absently wiping the errant tear away. “The warden refused to give us a tour of the hospital when we asked for one. That seemed suspicious to us. And he could have told us that we couldn't see the patients instead of deceiving us by substituting his employees in their place. That part makes absolutely no sense.”

What did the Queen think of her now? Did she appreciate her concern for the English people or did she believe that she was overly suspicious? Now she wished she had not said anything at all or that she had asked to speak in German. She could express herself so much better in her native tongue.

Because Ursula supported the warden's actions, she felt that she had risked her husband's wrath for nothing. But perhaps he would not be angry with her. She had been in the esteemed company of a Duchess and the Queen did not seem to think that she had put herself in danger. Nor had she gotten into any mischief. Maybe he would believe that letting her devote her time to charity would keep her out of trouble. Perhaps it would.

“Ja, danke for your time, and I, too, hope you have a Frohe Weihnachten,Your Majesty.” Sophia echoed her husband's good wishes. “ I know that you are busy and that there are other courtiers waiting to see you. If you are interested in hearing about our recent visit to the Palatinate, and how I came upon the weihnachtspyramide that I gave you, I would be honored to tell you about it whenever it is convenient for you.”

George

Any nervousness exhibited by Edith was soon washed away by the notion that the exhibit would not be until May. That was plenty of time to plan properly.

"Yes, I think I could spare a half day this season. I should like to examine the pieces, as you suggest. Paintings need to be ordered in the correct way, mind you. Outdoor scenes need to be with their kind. And frames," she remembered. "People undervalue the need for a frame. Why a good framer is worth his weight in gold," she declared. "Frames serve as both a transition between pieces but they set the expectation for the viewer. A grand frame tells the viewer that the painting is grand. The battle is half over in convincing someone a work is worthy if the frame is worthy. I remember the time that Mr. Habersham found a painting he liked at a bazaar in Brest. He got it at half the price because he pointed out the damage and shoddiness of the frame. Obviously, the vendor knew nothing about art."

"Now then, I can spare an afternoon on Thursday if it suits you," she offered. There was ample other times that would work for her, but a lady never let on that she was overly available.

Sophia

The Spanish Ambassador's wife found it odd that the Warden would not allow her to see the inmates of an asylum. Ursula was not so sure. There had been a declaration that the matter would be looked into. Nothing more need be said.

With pleasant farewells, the Toledos were dismissed. Ursula remained to speak with the Queen for a time. Esteban said nothing; but, in his silence Sophia knew that he had questions to ask, once they were alone. For now, they were back in the Presence Room and were in the process of passing George and Edith on their way out. Esteban nodded politely to both, ready to take his leave.

Sophia curtsied to the Queen and followed Esteban through the door and back into the Presence Chamber. She couldn't tell whether her husband was angry at her or not, but she knew that he was going to question her about her visit to Bedlam. Hopefully, he wouldn't chide her for bringing the matter before the Queen.

Even as perceptive as she was, she could never predict how he would act in any given situation. She was no closer to understanding his way of thinking than she had been when they had first married. Perhaps she had expected him to be more like Juan, but the two Spaniards were as different as night and day. She was certain that Juan would have agreed with her assessment of Bedlam and would have encouraged her to speak to the Queen about it. Or he might have decided to look into the situation himself.

She smiled cheerfully at Lady Habersham and Lord Chichester as they moved in their direction. "Shall we go over and say farewell?" she asked Esteban. If he was angry at her, maybe a bit of pleasant conversation would give him time to cool down.

George

He smiled as she voiced her thoughts. He had observed women had many of them... though most wafted away like smoke into the atmosphere but moments after being expressed. (Unless that woman happened to be like his sister). He felt content enough with her comments, and she too seemed to be relaxing with the topic, for another tale spilled from her lips of days gone by.

"A bazaar in Brest, but that phrase alone weaves marvel around the purchase, how positively exotic of you my lady. I can well see that following your tour of my artworks, I must insist upon a tour of your own collection."

"Thursday would be perfect, I shall shuffle about my other appointments, for your visit shall be my utmost priority." he flattered, having no other appointments actually. "May I send my carriage to fetch you? I am currently installed at my Pall Mall house. I shall have the servants clear out the music room to arrange our impromptu gallery; a pageant of paintings; a collection of canvas; an afternoon expedition through the pastures, rivers and mountains of europe."

"Ah, Lady Habersham, I believe you are next?" he arose to his feet in order to help the elderly woman to her feet. "May I escort you towards your announcement to Her Majesty?" he smiled towards the exiting Toledos even as his hand was extended to Edith.

Sophia

Esteban was impassive, wearing his courtly mask. As such, it was difficult to determine whether he was upset or not.

"I think we should be on our way home," the Baron replied to his wife. Given the close proximity of George and Edith, Sophia would be able to engage them nevertheless if she wished.

George

Edith was positively beaming at George's words Now here was a gentleman of quality so unlike the thinly-trained children that practiced gentile ways. "Why Lord Chichester, you are such a gentleman." He knew just how to treat a lady. His mother must be so proud.

"Yes, your carriage would be divine. I shall expect it." She handed her calling card to the Earl so that his driver might find her residence.

She was so enthralled at being made to feel important that she was startled by the declaration that it was her turn next with the Queen. No guard had yet to invite the next guest. It was quite possible that the Queen had no desire for further appointments.

"Oh dear, I fear I have quite forgotten the reason for my visit," Edith confided. "I have sat here for so many days that it has become more a pastime than a purpose I suppose." She knew there was something important she wished to stress with the young Queen, but the thought eluded her at the moment. "Perhaps you should go next," she whispered to George.

Knowing that she might already be in hot water, Sophia decided not to press the issue. “Very well,” she conceded. As they approached George and Edith, though, she smiled disarmingly. “Good fortune to both of you,” she remarked, rather hoping that they would ask how their audience went, if Her Majesty was there, or anything that might prevent the hasty departure that Esteban was intent upon.

If they wished to speak to the Toledos further, then it wouldn't be her fault that they were detained and her husband would not be able to berate her for it.

It simply made him feel good, to hear her commendation, and the oft reserved fellow reveled a pleased smile. "Thank you, milady." he slipped her card into his breast pocket. George had every belief that the proposed afternoon would be an elegance of fine manners and culture, one of those rare halcyon days.

In compare he had not been waiting long, especially in compare to Edith who now revealed her wait had become a diversiom rather than holding urgency of message. But he was no less urprised as she offered him her place. "Meanwhile my own intent to see Her Majesty is diminished after having spoken to you." he discovered himself likewise confessing...

...even as Lady Toledo bade them further greeting, or was that a farewell?

Georges eyes slid to Esteban, who had donned is reserve once more. What happened in there I wonder? He looked at Edith with a raised eyebrow, was the lady spright of mind enough to notice the pairs mood seemed to have changed since they saw the youngster-queen. Had Karoline had a tantrum at them perhaps?

"Your visit was somewhat brief. It was a positive reception, I hope?" His eyes met Esteban's, knowing Toledo well enough to know he'd not be utterly candid in front of the ladies, but perhaps a look would reveal what words might not.

Edith was as content as George. Their meeting promised a bit of color on an otherwise drab canvas.

"It went very well," Toledo replied to George. In his mind it did. He had received a private audience with the Queen and both he and his wife had earned regard in her eyes. He paused to allow his wife to add something if she so chose.

"Did she say anything about the New Year's celebration," Habersham enquired. "Is there to be a play, a masque, or some other pageant?" she asked hopefully.

As Sophia had hoped, Lord Chichester inquired about their audience with the Queen. She held her breath, afraid of what her husband's answer might be, and it whooshed out of her when he said it had gone well. Maybe he wasn't upset with her at all.

“Our donation was received graciously,” she added, reminding Lady Habersham and informing George as to why they had come. She was determined that as many people as possible knew that the Spanish Ambassador had contributed to the Queen's charities. With any luck, the news would soon be talked about by everyone at court and their opinions of Spain would slowly began to change.

A seed had been planted. Now it needed to be encouraged to grow.

Sophia shook her head. “She said nothing about plans for the New Year celebration.” She leaned forward conspiratorially, “but if she speaks to you about it, my lady, will you let me know?”

There seemed no repressed layer beneath Toledo's reply, and George smiled as it was given. "Her Majesty is a gracious hostess." the girl had been sitting in receipt of self serving visitors for god knew how many days now, George was impressed. Further, thought himself considerate to have spared Karoline from his own appeal.

While Sophia went on to explain their own petition. It was prudent, George gave a discreet nod of approval towards Esteban. Donations, bribes, whatever have you, was an ever effective first step in the currying of favor.

"Since my arrival I have been surprised to hear of nothing in particular for the New Years eve." on that topic George continued, "why it fairly seems that the date has been left vacant upon everyone's schedules, yet none have been bold enough to plan anything. Perhaps for fear that some others party shall be announced." George gave a laugh of that, "I know there is scant more distressing, than being unable to attend an event, because you are hosting something other!"

"...I dare say that there are plans afoot however." he dropped his voice to add, "I have every faith in my fellow courtiers ability to whisper in corners, pass notes, and incubate fun." he winked, "with perhaps a few tugs on pony tails thrown in." he completed with a smile to his elderly muse, Lady Habersham.

Returning to upright again he orated, "A pact! Let us each vow to relay to each other any word of these covert New Years celebrations as and when we receive word." That they might have options upon the night.

Talk evolved from charity to frivolity. That perked up the elder matron. Party planning was of a special interest to her because she so enjoyed orchestrating everything.

In a stage whisper she revealed to the foursome "I have it on good authority that there is to be a banquet followed by some sort of entertainment." She looked both ways as if she were revealing state secrets. "Mister Killigrew is saying nothing of it. Why, if I did not know better, I would say that the man is totally unprepared for the event." She did know better. "Or, he is firm with secrets."

"My favorite was a play performed in '61. It was the tale of Persephone. It was well done and is especially fitting at New Years when all is cold and barren. There is the expectation of Persephone's return in the spring. And, might I say, the tale is full of intrigue well-suited for a merry court." Left unsaid was the parallel to royal brothers as well.

"Bible stories would be better, but I have noted over the years that such plays are endured rather than enjoyed. Much like my husband and cabbage. The man endured it without complaint. Cabbage is better for you of course, but a holiday suggests something more exotic. Of course, not exotic like those Turks and their odd tobacco. I do not consider that exotic at all. It is sinful it what it does to one, not that I have had any, but I have seen its effects plainly enough. Those sort of people are not to be trusted." Edith stopped at that point as she struggled for a transition back to their original topic.

Archived