JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Eating Bitterness | Early Evening 26th- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

John let out a small grunt of disapproval. “Then I am t-t-trapped by my birth.” John said, “For all my c-c-connections are in the Country.” The idea that birth determined politics, that lords came to court not as blank slates but continuations of their families, seemed perfectly natural to John.

John gestured for a small slice. Devonshire might know John’s appetites tracked his mood. He hadn’t been eating much.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You are not trapped John. Rather, you have an opportunity. Where many of our family have followed the false path, you have an opportunity to stand out with the King. He will be interested in advancing Cavendishs who reject the Country Party. Do not expect much in the beginning. He will be watching you undoubtedly, for true signs of sympathies. He will assume the worst of you unless you demonstrate otherwise," Devonshire advised before filling his mouth with warm corn bread dripping in butter. He sighed with delight.

“The King chose my upbringing t-t-twice. I imagine my p-p-parents thought that would be best for us.” John meant he and his siblings by ‘us’. His parents had left them in the King’s care twice, and so John had briefly been a royal ward twice. “He has already had a significant hand in shaping who I am.” Or perhaps some minister of his did, but that hardly made a difference to John.

"So if he assumes the worst of me without sign or investigation, then he insults his own p-p-powers. And you." John wasn't privy to exactly how his future had been determined either time. But if the King really wanted to develop a loyal member of the Cavendishes for the next generation, the Bramstons had given him quite the gift in giving him a hand in John's upbringing.

"It was his wish that I see to you," Devonshire admitted. Frankly, the King took little interest in wards as a general matter, promising all sorts of attention at times but then becoming easily distracted. It was for the guardian to remind him. The older man would choose not to share this with his ward. The lad was already critical of the King.

"Recall that we are on an island of sorts in a sea of Country Party Cavendishs. I think he has turned Newcastle into a Royalist, at least temporarily. Ogle is, as of yet, hard to predict."

John began his negativity again. William gave a sigh while silently wondering how one could train someone to be an optimist. "He does not assume the worst," Devonshire corrected. "Rather, he worries about our family, and rightly so."

“He chose w-w-well then.” At least the second time. John didn’t mind that he’d been given over to Devonshire. He wasn’t complaining about how he was treated. His point was that the King had no reason to, as Devonshire had said, assume the worst of John.

“Ogle seems… easily l-l-led and surrounded by Country gentlemen.” John said frankly. It wouldn’t be the most difficult affair to gain power over him. It’d just take a beautiful woman, and those were plentiful. There were certainly more of them than there were nobles, at any rate.

John’s parents had tried to shove him out of the succession and then to assassinate him. They had shattered any sense of worth or confidence the young lad had. He was a deeply, deeply scarred individual and healing that would take affirmation and love and success.

It was not impossible: after last season he was beginning to warm to the idea that he was not hideously unattractive and doomed to forever be unloved by women. Perhaps in time the rest would be uprooted, like noxious weeds sprouted from the seeds of self-loathing his parents had beaten into him.

“Rightly so?” John asked the question Devonshire seemed to imply.

"Ogle is something of a disappointment so far," Devonshire admitted. "He is not his father, nor his illustrious grandfather. I do not know about this new generation John," he muttered. "Ablemarle is the same way. His father is likely turning over in his grave." It was not uncommon for the older generation to grumble about the younger one.

"Rightly so because so many Cavendishes are associated with the Country Party," he attempted to explain. "Other than the late Newcastle, no Cavendish has ever stood with the King to the end, and even William fled to the Continent after Marston Moor. I have done my best to right that imbalance in my own way."

“My p-p-parents were never really… happy with me either. Lord knows I'm not my f-f-father or grandfather." John was quite willing to believe his own inadequacy. "P-p-perhaps John and Billy’s children will do better.” Devonshire's grandchildren. There was always a new generation. At least with the Cavendishes, who tended to be a fertile bunch. Though truthfully, John was a bit afraid he'd muck that up too.

“It’s hardly your b-b-brother or our uncle’s fault they weren’t there at the end.” They’d both died in combat for the King. Devonshire was right, in the main, their relations had been on the other side. But John was trying to comfort him. “And you d-d-did as well as you c-c-could. Men l-l-like you and Monck made the Restoration. There m-m-must be some comfort in knowing you did m-m-more for him in the end than all those who fled into exile with him.”

William preferred not to discuss John's parents. Instead, he replied "give it time John. Many feel awkward or unworthy when they are young. It will pass," he assured.

"There is some comfort," Devonshire agreed, appreciating the support. "Cromwell could have been beaten, in so many ways," the Earl declared wistfully. "So many mistakes were made. Too many egos. Too much indecision." He shook his head sadly. So many friends lost. "Still, The King's son sits on the throne, as it should have been. It just galls me when I see signs of that Roundhead plague re-emerging."

Realizing that his memories were becoming too dark, William stiffened his back and changed the subject. "You really should try your corn bread with a spot of honey too. It makes all the difference." He pushed a small pitcher towards John as if to invite him to imbibe.

“T-t-time will tell.” John said, not sounding particularly hopeful.

“It galls me whenever I see anyone… attacking the English c-c-constitution. I feel they are, at b-b-best, juggling glass and at worst t-t-taking a hammer to it in pursuit… of some m-m-mad dream.” John said truthfully. He meant constitution here in the Roman sense: not a written document a but a series of customs, laws, and norms which made up the function of government. “Perhaps it’s j-j-just my flaw that I see absolutists as p-p-part of the attackers.”

John was happy to change the subject. He poured the honey on his piece, only partly touched, “I’m having a b-b-bit of… trouble shopping for Lady Exeter and Cavendish. Their children are m-m-mostly young enough toys work, and I think I have an idea for their husbands. But n-n-nothing for them.”

Devonshire chose not to comment on John's observation. He was content that John was getting passionate on the subject, even though he lay some of the blame at the feet of absolutists.

"A nice pair of mittens for Lady Exeter I should think. Her hands are always so cold," he grunted. "Lady Cavendish could use a nice book to distract her this season I should think. Something with plates of ladies dresses I imagine. She takes to lace like a fox to hens." William had his own gifts in mind, but something more substantial.

Well at any rate, John thought through the silence, I am still by far the second most royalist member of the family. And unlike Devonshire, John was not in retirement. Perhaps Newcastle had been temporarily convinced, but Devonshire had said the King did not forgive such things. Besides, he'd just married his heir to a very Whiggish connection. No doubt with at least the approval of her Whiggish family and stepfather. That meant, in John's mind, he was probably moving away from the King again.

Frankly, it seemed to John the King had no better options among the Cavendishes. Only Ogle was ideologically uncertain, and he was united with an extremely Whiggish lot by marriage and company. He was also not the head of his household, nor likely to be for some time.

“Maybe an Italian style muff.” Sophia would know the fashions down that way and John thought the family was fond of Italy. As for Lady Cavendish, John just nodded. Books would be easy, as would a bit of lace. John’s home was a lace producing region, actually. But it would probably again be wise to consult with a lady. John knew foreign lace was more popular with Tories and the French loving Stuarts but English lace had a nationalistic sound to it. Then again, she was a foreigner from a Tory family...

“Will we be d-d-doing gifts together still?” John asked, his tone betraying the answer he wanted. Last Christmas he’d still been in Devonshire’s care, but Devonshire had already spoken that the usual Christmas intimacies would be relaxed at court.

"That would work as well," Devonshire assured Maldon about ladies muffs. John's nod suggested a book was a welcome idea. As such, the older man nodded contentedly.

As for gift exchanges, the Earl replied "I should like us to gather as a family the morning of New Years ... to start the new year together. We can exchange gifts then." William knew that the King would have a New Years fete as well, but the morning he expected to be free.

“The Day of the Holy Name is a blessed day.” John replied approvingly. That was January 1st. It was probably the most religiously important day of the season for Protestants, the day Jesus was named and circumcised. It was the first time the blood of Jesus had been shed for the redemption of mankind and even Puritans celebrated it. Catholics emphasized Christmas instead.

John’s tone turned a bit soft, “It will be good for everyone to be together.” He did not like the divisions in his family. In John’s mind, the family should operate as a political unit, and that Devonshire was split off from the rest meant the world was not right.

"Indeed," replied the older man. "I am thinking Willy and Exeter will come certainly. I am not sure as to the rest. Bring your siblings of course. Remind me, can Catherine play an instrument?"

The stew was gone, as well as the cornbread. The Earl sat back and patted his stomach contentedly. "I think some pudding is in order," he announced as he looked to the nearest servant. The man preferred vanilla pudding. "Then I have a bit of correspondence before bed." It was clear that Devonshire was losing interest in speaking further. He fought a yawn.

“Mother t-t-taught my sisters harp.” John’s siblings had the usual accomplishments. John did too, in theory, In practice he could not dance or play or many of the other things he ought to.

“If you w-w-wish, I c-c-could ask Lady Toledo and Lady Kendishall to perform.” John offered. And maybe they could find others.

“I’m f-f-full. P-p-perhaps you could take it in your bedroom.” The conversation was drawing to a close. John didn’t feel like anything had been solved, but to some degree just talking about it made it better.

“Before I go, is there anything you would l-l-like of me?” John offered explicitly. Before he’d expected Devonshire would ask if he wanted anything, but now… well, John wasn’t sure if Devonshire understood him.

"Good, have her bring her harp," William replied. The idea of inviting others held no appeal. "Just a small family gathering methinks."

John asked about Devonshire's wishes. "Only that you heed what was said this evening." The thought about eating pudding in bed was attractive to the older man. He was feeling tired. "And you John ... are you needing something?" He lifted himself to his feet, leaning upon the table as he did so.

John nodded on the three counts. He would have his sister bring the harp, he would not mention it to his friends, and he would heed what was said.

John almost said nothing, but he thought better of it. "If I might beg the favor, find me kind and considerate royalists to befriend. Men of good family and rank," Which was important less for reasons of ambition than that they would be his equals. It was awkward if John significantly outranked or had much bluer blood than the rest of the company.

"All I have met on that side are like Ormonde, who... will ignore you until you are useful d-d-despite blood ties." At least, that was what Devonshire had characterized it as. "I've met many, and if they're all like that, it recommends the c-c-cause poorly."

Devonshire thought it a reasonable request and replied thoughtfully "work on Ogle. Don't let him move towards the Country Party," he advised. "Bristol is quite the adventurer. He is Catholic but a man loyal to the King. Ablemarle is like Ogle ... impressionable, but he is loyal to the King." It went without saying that the man did not have the intellectual stamina to articulate the arguments of the opposition.

"Do not fear an association with York. Though a Catholic and unremarkable at times, his brother loves him still, and he could wear the crown next. Rupert is a good man. Buckingham is as fickle as a woman. One day a royalist and the next a Whig. Underneath it all, the man would describe himself as an enlightened royalist, but I wager that it is just a title to cover the fact that his true loyalties lie with himself. Danby is mired in scandal. Lauderdale is not much better. Arlington cannot be trusted. Finch seems to be a good man. Dorset seems a King's man," he continued.

"Have you met York and Cumberland yet? I could introduce you."

Devonshire gave John a survey of court but John had asked after royalists who could be his friend, people who were kind and considerate. People who could work to draw his heart closer to where Devonshire wanted to be. The majority seemed unlikely prospects to John.

It appeared Devonshire did have something he wanted him John to help with. Ogle. “He’s m-m-marrying a Percy.” John said. Marriages were political things and he was moving definitively towards the Country with his. Despite the comment, John sighed, “I will do what I c-c-can. But it will mean meddling in the duke’s affairs.” Which Devonshire had just warned him against.

Devonshire asked if he’d met York and Cumberland. John shook his head no. “York ran p-p-past me with a redheaded l-l-lady two days ago. Heading backstage I think. He d-d-didn’t pay me much mind.” John wasn’t sure they’d seen him at all, though he hadn’t been hiding. And while he’d asked twice for an introduction to Cumberland, he’d once been turned down politely and another had yet to get a response. That had been for politics, though, not friendship.

“York and Cumberland?” John’s skepticism bled into his voice. But he trusted the older man’s assessment. “If you say so. They are k-k-kind and considerate men then? Men who I can be honest with, who w-w-will seek my friendship?” That was what John had asked after. Survey aside, those two were who Devonshire had come up with. If he was recommending them for some different reason, he would need to clarify.

Old age afforded an artistic license to adapt a question asked to one that better suited the older listener. "The girl is 12 years old," Devonshire replied sharply. "The Percies are gone. Montagu is a commoner. Her grandmother's time has passed. She'll become a Cavendish and the King will not allow Newcastle to ever forget the great service done him. John, I think the pendulum is swinging back for our family and you shall be on the correct side of it."

As John made his request more focused in the Earl's mind, Devonshire thought further on it. "I know the old lords best John. The young ones are mostly unknown to me. Thomas Herbert is close to the King, as is Ashburnham. They would be good friends to have. Buckingham is orbiting more closely to the King these days. His Scottish cousin ... Kirk I think his name is, would be good, though George Legge would be better. Langdon is a bit too young for his position but seems true to the King and Rupert. One is always wise to keep a soldier as a friend," he chuckled. It was an inside joke that would be lost on Maldon. "Rupert's aide Beverley is a young up and comer. He marred very well ... Mary Somerset. She would have been a grand match for you," he added wistfully. "Perhaps you might be friends."

"In the world of politics, I think Basildon, Somerset and Finch junior could be good friends. They are all related and sit together in Lords. Basildon is an ambitious one. You've mentioned him before. His bread is buttered on the royalist side. I've heard nothing good of Danby's son Peregrine. But, I have heard good things of John Churchill. He's not much older. Seems a decent fellow."

Realizing that he was prattling, William stopped. "I will introduce you to York and Cumberland. As for the younger ones, you will need to see if they are the type to be trusted. Trust must be earned, not given."

“I said I’d do it.” John said with a very teenaged tone. “I’ve d-d-done everything you asked. I d-d-don’t know how the pendulum swings but I will be on your side of it.” As much as they argued, John was not being defiant or independent.

“I still do not understand how the King or May had any… hand in Ogle's marriage. The King hasn’t had the old f-f-feudal rights since before I was born. What d-d-did he do?” For the past forty odd years, his permission wasn’t needed to marry and wardships were set in a lord’s will and adjudicated in the House of Lords. The King’s consent wasn’t necessary at all, which was purposeful. The Kings used to hand out heiresses like favors and loot the estates of their wards.

John quietly noted the names and comments. As for Somersets and marriage, “If you think the Somersets are a g-g-good match, his son c-c-could marry one of my sisters.” John suggested. "I d-d-don't know if I told you: Our relatives in Oranje w-w-want me to marry a relative of the Duke of Brunswick." John's tone betrayed ambivalence at the prospect.

“Thank you.” He said of the introductions. Friends or not that was useful. John nodded to trust needing to be earned. He imagined he was discerning. He was actually eager to trust and befriend, but he imagined himself otherwise.

The words had not been uttered to annoy John. Devonshire had meant only to inform him that the trend was with him and to trst the path of royalist.

"The King has his hand in everything he wants to have a hand in," William chuckled. Despite the lessened influence of the King in wardships and betrothals, the monarch could influence most anything. Unknown to John was the fact that the grandmother had wanted to wait another six years before a betrothal. She had her own reasons for this, in part because she wished to control the Percy assets for herself. Newcastle knew this and needed the King to intervene.

"Somerset has two sons. Charles is quite the catch though he is a mere lad. Arthur is maybe eight years old? The Marquess is the King's man in Wales. Charles, like Thomas Herbert, will be quite in demand. It will be a challenge John, but I could speak to the Marquess about Catherine."

If John had told William about the House of Orange's wedding plans for him, Devonshire had forgotten. "Oh, tell me," he beckoned. "Brunswick is a powerful lord."

John dropped the question, sensing that Devonshire either did not know the operations of this intrigue or did not want to share. Or perhaps he was imagining a scenario with no basis in reality, a grand return to royalism where none actually would be. It was a pity: John was trying to understand how court moved and a simple statement how the King could do anything was not very useful.

“I don’t know him or have interests in Wales, but your eyes l-l-lit up at the idea of me marrying his daughter.” John explained where the comment came from.

“If b-b-both my sisters end up in the household and I manage to p-p-prove not an utter embarrassment they will be attractive prospects too.” Their dowries were not lacking and they were from excellent connections, blood, and rank. If John became an attractive brother in law to have and they had favor among the royal women, they would become extremely eligible by John’s estimation. Even more so if John could increase their dowries further. “Though I’ve no idea what the marquess w-w-wants in a match.”

As for continental affairs, “Lord Nassau introduced me to a sister of the Count of Schwarzburg. It’s some minor Elban p-p-principality that married some relative of Brunswick’s. He was quite eager to put us together. Apparently he’s had some t-t-trouble marrying her off because she has many siblings and her b-b-brother is not a grand lord.”

“My f-f-feeling is that if I want a connection to Brunswick I should try at his family directly. There are unmarried women there, though I d-d-don't know the wisdom of the match or what he'd want either. Regardless, I imagine the Dutch and Danish ambassadors… would be the ones to speak with?” The Dutch because they’d proposed the match. The Danish because Brunswick’s closest ally was Denmark. But it was only an educated guess.

"Yes, well the Somersets are a fine family," he replied to explain his interest in the family. Hearing about the Schwartzburg match did not make Devonshire's eyes light up. "Better to find an English girl I think. That way you need not travel as far to visit her family," he chuckled, knowing there were better reasons than that.

"Yes, if your sisters are well placed that will certainly make things easier," he agreed. So many pieces on the game board. "Best to get to know as many lords as possible, of course. Perhaps you can have a small party at your house later this season to debut Catherine? Nothing need be fancy. We would invite all the friends of the family and any acquaintances you make." He paused to see if there was interest. "Your house is big enough to entertain a couple dozen is it not? The holidays are a time for parties."

John nodded to the comments on the Somersets. As for traveling, “I w-w-wouldn’t discount all foreigners.” But the defense was more for the sake of Henrietta who, as an Irishwoman, was a foreigner in John’s estimation. Though an Irishwoman, or even a Brunswicker, was a much better prospect than some minor princess drawn out of the bowels of Germany.

“If you think a fete will help, there’s a ballroom that c-c-can be put to the use. I wouldn’t know who to invite beyond our relations, and it sounded l-l-like not many are at court.” John said. “And it’ll have to be on or after New Years, or the catapult m-m-might get in the way.”

And he would have to think of something to make it interesting. Dinner parties and dances were both dull and uncomfortable for him.

John nodded. Unfortunately for his sister’s prospects, most of his friends were women. He was hesitant to ask for yet another favor of them, but perhaps if he framed it properly… Regardless, he was sure he could find some men.

John stood with Devonshire. He’d lingered a bit long, but he hardly minded. Yet Devonshire stopped on his musings about catapults, “Yes,” John elaborated, “I’m m-m-making a snow castle and having a snowball fight over it. A b-b-bunch of people had their own ideas. One of Newcastle’s relatives wanted to bring… a c-c-catapult so I’m helping him build it. I think some of the wood’s over there right now.” The workers would arrive tomorrow.

While a bit strange even by his standards, this wasn’t completely out of character for John. He’d always delighted in festivals and local traditions. "Lord knows what we'll do with it afterward." John said in a tone that implied he hadn't given that much thought.

John wasn't sure if this had interrupted their goodbyes or not, so he hovered, ready to leave or no as Devonshire wished.

"Was this Ogle that wanted to build a catapult?" Devonshire found himself asking. It seemed the actions of children rather than men, but William said nothing.

"Is it a miniature? Surely you would need an engineer to assist." Not everyone could build an operating catapult. "Afterwards, perhaps you can donate it to the Tower of London," he suggested.

“Sir John Lucas.” John said. “He thinks it w-w-will look fetching and win… favor with ladies.” The line of thought was a mystery to the young earl, but John was a bit too willing to believe in the wisdom of others.

“It w-w-will be small.” He confirmed. “I’ve… dug up some old designs f-f-from the fifteenth century.” From around the time of the War of the Roses. That war had seen the dominance of the cannon and was the last time catapults had been used in a serious capacity in England. Sir John had stressed simplicity, and John agreed, but he was hoping it could at least be a little authentic.

“I hope some c-c-carpenters and maybe a clockmaker can do the rest.” Sir John had said he’d send over workers, and John thought he knew where he could find a few more if need be. John was familiar with directing such people, though not to make anything like this. Perhaps the entire thing would fall apart.

“That’s a g-g-good idea.” John agreed to the Tower. There was more glory there than in his cabinet. “W-w-would the King want it? I'll be d-d-done before New Years." And so it would be ready to be given as a Christmas gift, if the King liked that sort of thing.

"John Lucas?" It was obvious that he was searching his memory and needed assistance.

John seemed intent on constructing the catapult but the older man harbored some thoughts that the project might be abandoned given the little time that remained in the season.

"If you are to gift it to the King, it should be small enough for a shelf or tabletop," Devonshire recommended. "It should come with some story as well if you want to capture his interest. Otherwise, I'd place it in the Tower."

Archived