JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Taking the City's Pulse | Late Afternoon 25/12 (open)- Xmas 1677

Charles Audley

Charles heard the wagon driver's shout and felt a thrill of vindictive pleasure. He was committed now, and there was no time, or indeed desire, to take advantage of the lowered prices. There was a simple thrill to the chase, the world reduced down to hunter and quarry. Cold purpose vibrated through Charles as he stalked through the London streets, fixated on the carriage. He made no attempt at concealment. Let Cadogan see him coming.

He quickened his pace as the carriage slowed, closing the distance, determined to catch sight of the disembarking passenger. He examined the figure, taking in clothing, height, bearing and what other details he could make out, comparing them to what he had seen in Kemp's. He also noted the direction of the carriage, in case this was not Cadogan.

The debarking Londoner was a gent of slight build and bereft of facial hair, dressed in the fashion of a merchant. It was not Arthur, nor his companion. Obligatory hat was tipped, while his eyes avoided making more than the briefest contact with Charles as he stalked his way up the street.

The carriage turned towards Westminster, not quite the direction of the Docks, but still towards an area of commerce and industry where a good many plyd their trades from.

Outside Westminster the carriage stopped once more.

Charles moved smoothly on and passed the ex-passenger. He acknowledged the tipped hat with a brief inclination of his head. There was a muted satisfaction in the man's reluctance to meet his eyes but Charles ignored it, striding forward in pursuit of the carriage.

The game is afoot! Well, a-horse. A-carriage?

The chase wound on, taking him towards Westminster. Not exactly what Charles had expected, if indeed the carriage bore Cadogan, but not outside the bounds of possibility either. Perhaps Cadogan desired more salubrious surroundings than the East End. Too late to change anything now, anyway.

The coach stopped again. Charles continued his advance, left hand reaching down unconsciously to loosen his blade in its scabbard, gaze bent upon the coach, waiting for sign of Cadogan.

Westminster Hall

Constructed in the 11th century, Westminster Hall was the Great Hall of the Palace of Westminster. In 1399, the roof was changed from pillar supports to a hammer-beam construction that allowed it to traverse the entire 69 feet span without the need for rows of pillars. The Royal Courts of Justice sat here, and all state trials took place here, including those of Sir William Wallace, Sir Thomas More, Guy Fawkes, the Earl of Strafford, and Charles I. An arch in the south-east corner of the Hall gave entry into the House of Commons. The rotting heads of Cromwell and his Generals were displayed outside the Hall.

On most days, however, the Hall served a different function as a shopping center of sorts. Many small shops were found here, open from dawn to dusk, and offering a variety of primarily English-made goods. Recently several shops have begun offering expensive specialty goods, taking advantage of the elite of society and court being nearby and often having business at Westminster. Some were little more than stalls with fold-down shutters that served as counter-tops while the shops were open but others were draped with silk as if advertising the desirability of their wares. They were most open front with counters and had interiors with shelves and places for fitting and perusing offering. The shops were as much social focal points as businesses; gathering points to exchange the latest gossip and people-watch. A discerning courtier might hear a bit of trade gossip or receive investment ideas from hearing the merchants talk about the procurement of their various wares. With new novelties showing up regularly based upon trade booms for English ships, one never knows when what they bought might become the next court fad and skyrocket in value.

The carriage jostled about as it's load exited, and then again as a trio of cheerful Westminster shoppers got in. Chatham did not radiate carefee christmas spirit however, and the flower seller who begun her approach to him, eased back again out of his way. In fact the crowd of cheery patrons of Westminster parted like the red sea before him...

And there he was.

The man in the Camel Coat.

Any number of onlookers watched the man reaching for his sword against the unarmed businessman.

Charles smiled hungrily as his prey was finally revealed. His blood was singing. Absently, his left arm brushed his frock coat back, removing the final obstacle to a quick draw, should one be required. A deep breath, savouring the moment, before he arranged his features into a friendly, open expression. He stepped closer.

"Arthur Cadogan? Is that really you, old boy?"

Don't make me run Arthur.

There was the glint of recognition, and answering chuckle. "Ah, Fitz-Chatham, I thought that might gain your attention."

Note was taken that Charles' had ready access to his weapon. But surely Charles realised that the 'nudge' given for him to reconnect with Arthur, had not been a death wish on his part. There were things to discuss. Delicate matters to be addressed, such as the one he'd just alluded to.

Charles laughed, the genuinely merry sound ringing out like a bell. Only Cadogan might note the malicious light still shining from his eye.

"It's wonderful to see you again, you old reprobate! And what are the odds, that we should run into one another like that? You left so swiftly after the funeral, we had no chance to talk. How have you been? I am but newly arrived, so you shall have to recommend a suitably comfortable locale for us to talk like civilised gentlemen." He emphasised 'civilised.' It was important that Arthur recognise that Charles would let one use of "fitz" pass. Any further would demand action.

The youngster had intellect and suggested they go somewhere to talk. Or at least Cardogan hoped the suggestion came from an astute mind, it would be so much more tedious if he had to explain the finer workings of the current situation to him. With the topic established, it suited neither of their interest for Arthur to use that word a second time.

Passers by who'd initially paused anticipating a show, moved on as an anticlimax was apparent.

"Time waits for no man." he replied evenly, " No doubt you found it as tedious as I, the wait for probate to go through, ha, it tries a man's patience some what. Ah, but it seems as though the weight of your fathers purse fits well upon you, come, buy me a drink at the Oak Barrel." he gestured towards a makeshift merchant just inside the Westminster doors. There were a few tables and chairs scattered about.

For reasons of caution he did not feel like taking Chatham to his own office - best stay in public.

"Buy you a drink? I thought I already had," Charles drawled lazily as he walked towards the indicated place of business. He didn't bother with any paranoid nonsense like insisting Cadogan lead the way. Such would have shown a deplorable lack of confidence. Charles rather doubted Arthur had the game for public murder in any case.

Charles sprawled elegantly in the nearest chair, by all appearances completely at ease. Humming softly, he took a pinch of snuff and offered the box to Cadogan with a raised eyebrow, before waving over one of the staff.

"We'll have a decent bottle of wine, and some cheese if you have it."

Refreshments duly provided, Charles sipped at his wine and waited silently for Cadogan to speak.

Arthur was a shrewd fellow, and shrewd blackmailers preferred their quarry alive. His lips formed a restrained smile at the fellows reply, resisting the urge to tell Charles he'd only just begun to pay.

Sitting to a chair, he watched the young noble enact the fashionable negligent-languor. "You play the part well." he commented, his own posture straight backed though not overly rigid, as befitted men of middle class, "ah, but you've been raised to the part of course."

The wine was ordered, the addition of cheese appreciated (though he'd not admit it). The silence that then fell was the palpable sort, it being plain enough that although Charles had accepted the 'invitation' to a meeting, he wished his accommodations to Arthur to end there.

Arthur dawdled a time, enjoying the sense of power over this whipper snapper.

It was only after he'd taken his first sip of wine that he spoke. "I've been looking at a new business premises, having out gown my existing. The building I am looking at has a pleasant outlook across the Thames. It's exorbitantly priced of course, but, I think you can afford it."

Charles was almost disappointed. Arthur had no style, no flair. Everything, from skipping out on the bill at Kemp's, to "Fitzchatham," to this dreary little power game, bespoke a grubby, grasping, petty personality. If one was to be an underhanded criminal, why not be a debonair underhanded criminal?

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing stylishly.

Charles sipped his wine and sighed.

"That's it, Arthur? No pleasantries, no chitchat, just straight to business? And then to be so blunt about it? I'm almost hurt." A pause to nibble at the cheese before opening negotiations. "In any case, I feel you overestimate my resources a tad. Father left me little but debts and my personal fortune was mostly consumed dealing with them." A sharp smile. "But I imagine you know all about my father's debts."

Let's see how you react to that implication.

On the whole, his opening position was perhaps not quite so strong as some he might have adopted. But it might metaphorically lure Cadogan out a little.

"I am not seducing you." with a long suffering sigh Arthur replied, "though no doubt you would prefer a protracted engagement, as so many frightened maidens would."

The Lordling tried to play the 'I cant afford it' card.

"Au contraire, Lord Chatham, rather I think you cannot afford not to help me." Was the Chatham estate in such a bad way? "Although of course, if you would prefer to pass over your 'burden' to your little brother, this can be arranged." He gave a wide mouthed smile, "And before you slip into sin with murderous thoughts on this the holy season, rest assured that I have documentation in the hands of another, and if anything ever happens to me they are under instructions to deliver it to Lady Chatham."

An elegant shrug.

"We call them pleasantries for a reason, Arthur. They make the whole thing... smoother. In light of your inexperience, I shall be magnanimous enough to forgive you your unseemly haste, though." A smile like a knife. "We were all virgins once, after all."

They probed at one another briefly and Charles barely restrained himself from rolling his eye. Did Arthur really expect him to meekly submit to this shearing? He held up his hand.

"Seeing as you have been so good as to divulge the meat of your position, I shall reciprocate. Let us first deal with the threat you at least made an attempt to veil. It would profit you nothing to reveal whatever it is you think you have proof of. My stepmother will not pay for a service already performed. Indeed, all you would accomplish is to, in one bold stroke, earn my undying enmity and leave me with nothing to lose." He looked Cadogan in the eye. "That's a damnably unhealthy position to be in."

Charles paused for a sip of wine before continuing.

"Now, moving on to friendlier things, before I even consider paying you anything, I shall want assurances both that you possess what you have implicitly claimed to, and that, if and when I do pay, I shall come into possession of the aforementioned. I'm sure you'll understand when I say that I do not wish this to be a regular occurance."

"In light of my inexperience? " Arthur slowly said, ""You mean to say you sit in this situation often?" eyebrow raised. Charles was bluffing he supposed, trying to make him feel like he had much to learn yet. But Arthur was not buying it. He figured that Charles was just as green to blackmail, and this was his parry to the attack...

For all of that he gave a dry laugh at the others quip about his excitement, the play following his own reference to a wedding bed. The dig was amusing for what it was. "Upon different circumstances..." he mused briefly that an alliance might have worked, but then got back to business.

"It is my heartbeat that I value." he said, "I fully concur that there is no benefit to myself to certain information 'getting out'. The unhealthy situation you mention, it is in anticipation of a possible desperation that I have made those arrangement's. Might I mention, good sir, that your rush to meet me to day was not likely any anxiety over the bill at Kemps. The display with your blade outside, confirmed just how friendly you were."

"It is for that reason that I shall need retain 'insurance' as it were."

"Oh, once or twice. On the other side of the table, though, one might say. A consequence of an adventurous lifestyle." Charles gave Arthur a thin smile. "A profitable endeavour, properly managed."

Charles nodded as Arthur explained his own need for security. The earl helped himself to some cheese and hummed thoughtfully before replying.

"An understandable position. I will note that 'desperation' is most likely to spring from any scenario where I find myself continually suffering under the constant threat of these... libelous claims entering the public sphere and having to pay for the privilege. If both of us are to feel secure, then, we need this arrangement to be swift and smooth."

A interesting idea occurred to him.

"Don't suppose you'd be amenable to the colonies? There are fortunes to be made out there by bold men. I considered it myself before Fate intervened. We could both rest easy, knowing that we were separated by a large body of water. Of course, in light of your long years' service to my father, I would be delighted to provide you with not inconsiderable starting capital and a letter of introduction or two." Charles laughed. "Man of your resource might even up with a title."

Arthur could guess to what he was talking about, a dissolute fellow like him, no doubt had his share of underhand dealings in the years he'd been abroad. "Well tell me then, how would you have handled this?" with wry expression he asked.

"Swift and smooth." an agreement begun to form, though the time frame was perhaps the least delicate of matters to discuss, it was at least a beginning.

"I had not a mind to quit my London practice, but rather, to expand it. I'm no more likely to move to the colonies just now, than you are, Lord Chatham." He said simply enough. "Though while we are exploring alternatives..." he paused for thought, rubbing his chin as an idea formed, "prestige is certainly appealing, and something I might gain through a well placed match. I must admit I have thought your step-mother to be a most handsome woman." he met Charles eyes, the flaw in that idea to Charles perspective was too obvious to even speak out loud. "Or, you may put forth another candidate. Hmm... the consummation of a profitable marriage might warm me towards dismissing your debt."

Charles gave a fluid shrug.

"Invited you to dinner, covered the bill, made polite conversation and, above all, avoided any petty gamesmanship. It angers men, and angry men will act irrationally."

Cadogan refused the idea of the colonies, which was not exactly surprising. Charles nodded in acquiescence.

"Merely an idle thought. If it doesn't suit, it doesn't suit." His gaze sharpened as Arthur continued. "Hmm. She is quite pretty, I suppose. Buxom, certainly. Proven fertility as well, if you've dynastic ambitions."

Charles leaned back, considering. Such a match had several obvious downsides for him, but there was one immense advantage to it as well- two of his primary obstacles in one place. One swift strike could remove them both, if it could be arranged. Best not to seem over eager, lest Arthur smell a rat.

"Of course, she's a damnable snob, prone to ill temper and expensive to keep. And grieving, to boot. Now, a new husband might well be just what she needs, provided the man had the requisite strength of character to keep her in hand and the good nature to ensure her life is quiet and content."

Charles fixed his gaze on Arthur.

"I would remiss in my duties if I did not strive to ensure any future match would bring happiness and advantage to all concerned. As such, I would require ironclad assurances of your good will to countenance your suit."

"Petty gamemanship such as your being pissed at me for bumping your chair at Kemps?" Arthur asked with raised eyebrow. Charles had his hackles up the instant their eyes had met. No, an invitation to dinner and genial conversation had never been on the cards.

"Secular ambitions." the man advised of his possible interest in a match. "You must know that names can open doors to enterprise. An apt match could result in the right sort of dinner invitations." Not for future blackmail of course, but for networking his trade.

Arthur was not seriously contemplating the now Dowager Chatham though, for he supposed that Charles would be keen to the disadvantage to himself in that. Or was he? Charles did not immediately dismiss it - quite the opposite.

"She's also something of a shrew." He threw in comment on Lady Chatham for good measure. Everyone knows you should pick apart anything you were thinking of buying, so as to get it for the cheapest cost. ".... is bull headed and bloody minded."

He met Charles gaze evenly, fully confidant he was up to the task. "Not that I think her capable of quiet contentment." his lips curled with faint amusement, "but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Profitably occupied shall do. She strikes me as a woman who might take well to a purpose, expansion of social life in London would serve... well, perhaps all of our interests."

It was not really that he was thinking of going all in with Charles, but there were possibilities for a ceasefire at least, and mutual profit might be a sensible foundation.

So Arthur wanted her purely for the dinner invitations. It was depressing, really. Whatever the deep personal antipathy between them, Charles would readily acknowledge that his stepmother was possessed of exemplary aesthetic qualities, and it offended something deep in the crumbling black ruins he called a soul to think of them going to waste.

Given father's health, they probably have been going to waste for some time. Do you think a good rattle would improve her disposition? Can't be good for the humours, all that enforced celibacy. Assuming she has been celibate, of course.

Still, pangs in his soul had never held him back before and now would be a damn poor time for them to start. Charles suppressed a smile as Arthur added his own denunciations of the Dowager Countess's character. The man was genuinely interested, if he was starting to haggle.

"The lady has great energy and passion, yes, but that merely means that one must be a strong man to deal with her." A thin smile. "London would suit her admirably."

A short draught of wine and a further nibble at the cheese.

"But before we get ahead of ourselves, the issue at hand was assurances."

Frankly he would prefer the money. But Charles had suggested alternatives, and so he considered them - and a marriage to a woman in the right family could open up new doors of commerce to Cadogan. And yes, Charles stepmother was handsome, it would satisfy a little male pride to have such a woman as his wife, he might be the envy of his fellows etc.

"Yes, she would." They were of agreement in that, the young dowager was of the right temperament for the city.

"Ah yes..." but returning to business, Arthur looked at Charles eye to eye. "...what assurance can you then give that such a solution is within your means?" At the end of the day it might come back to a financial settlement, for the sheer expediency of it.

Charles snorted in amusement.

"It's more within my means than buying London property."

That was something of a lie, though not as much of one as Charles would have liked. He met Cadogan's gaze squarely and continued.

"I'll send a letter, telling her that you desire a match and asking her to visit and consider it." Charles shrugged. "She has expensive tastes, and she knows the state of our finances as well as I. She wouldn't be averse to marrying money, particularly if it meant she could stay in London. She knows that I mean to bring my siblings to court in the near future. Provided you don't stuff it up, I see no real obstacle."

That was true, as far as it went, but no one could accuse Mary Audley of being predictable, or indeed of being reasonable. (Were he capable of honest self-reflection, Charles would have to admit that there were a great many similarities between himself and his stepmother.)

If worst comes to worst, I can threaten to send Francis to the Royal Academy of Equitation in Angers. That should bring her to heel.

"Of course, that leaves us with the question of why I would do such a thing. I would need to be absolutely certain of the security of my position."

"The son doing well by his late fathers business-ah-associate, it is surely a commendable stance." the man gave a thin smile, "and of course, in gratitude the... step father?... would invite the gracious young lord for a drink after the paperwork is drawn, raise a toast and with due ceremony burn to ash evidence of the sins of days long past."

Arthur reached for the bottle, refilled Charles glass and then his own. "For a sure balance of scales, which I am certain you must seek, might I say that this very conversation held today would need never be spoken of to Lady Chatham."

For all of it, young Charles was rather like-able, and Arthur was feeling rather hopeful of the proposed arrangement - though of course he maintained a poker face.

"Very well. I shall write the letter tomorrow and we should have a response within the week." Charles answered Cadogan's smile with one of his own. "Of course, I shall need some means of contacting you. I assume you have a postal address?"

Charles nodded his thanks as Cadogan poured the wine before chuckling softly. A darkly amusing thought had struck him.

"Good God, but isn't it hilarious to think that, for all the sins in my past, and there are many, the one that could ruin me was performed by another, if indeed it was performed at all? There is a certain delicious irony, wouldn't you agree?"

He shook his head, still amused.

"Well, she will know that we've talked but I agree that she should never learn what of. Better for all concerned. Anyway, on to lesser matters. I don't suppose you could see your way to giving me four shillings tuppence for your bill at Kemps?"

"No doubt those repercussions shall rain down upon future generations, would it be egotistical to hope theirs shall be as productively addressed as ours." The took a bite of cheese, followed by a sip of wine.

"Send a message to the Red Lion, I am partial to lunch there, and shall receive it promptly, you may rest assured." Something in the way that Charles had asked after an address, provoked this cautious reply. Trust was not to be dished out willy nilly, and the younger gentleman's deeds would speak his intent more plainly than words. For now Arthur remained cautiously optimistic, and hoped Charles was not purchasing himself a weeks reprieve in which to scheme something dastardly. To be fair, in his place that was what Arthur would do. Life was a game seldom won in a linear fashion.

While Charles was laughing to himself of his past sins that had not caught up to him, it was his request of the 4 shillings tuppence that raised a bark of laughter from his companion. "Balancing that ledger are you?!" it was a clue that Charles was not about to give anything away. Arthur laughed, thinking it very amusing indeed. He'd need to watch this one. "Tell you what, I'll spring for the wine and cheese, and we'll call it even eh?"

Arthur had a healthy dose of paranoia, it would seem.

Entirely understandable. Even you don't really know what you're going to do from one day to the next. Asking the man to trust in your good intentions might be going a little far. I mean, you're already planning on having Wodehouse take lunch at the Lion for the next week.

Charles was an old hand at these sort of negotiations and he allowed no hint of disappointment or triumph to show in his face as he replied.

"Capital. I shall send a note for you with the details by courier."

As he had hoped and expected, Arthur reacted with amusement to his request. Charles laughed with him and waggled his eyebrows.

"Merely giving you the opportunity to show your credentials as a gentleman old boy. Couldn't in good conscience wed the dowager to a cad. But yours seems a fair agreement. Done."

He offered his hand.

Arising, Arthur reciprocated with shake of hand. "The courtship's begun already." he gave a laugh of that. "God speed, Lord Chatham." the use of Charles title done with deliberateness.

Yet for all of his caution, his paranoia even, he felt rather good about how things were mapping out.

He looked towards the host of this little eatery, and patted his pockets to locate his purse, and with a final nod to Chatham, he moved apart to pay the bill. He lingered a little longer, paying heed to which direction Charles went. Then with a tip of head and relieved sigh, he moved off into the crowded Westminster hall.

OOC: fin?

and - that was interesting!

"And you, Master Cadogan. Compliments of the season."

A quick, firm handshake and Charles rose to exit. He was uncertain as to whether or not he would let Arthur live. There were so many possibilities. Charles hummed as he left, enjoying the wonderful freedom of being a creature of caprice and absolutely no conscience.

OOC: Fin. Indeed it was- Charles certainly didn't expect that when he went out for coffee! Thanks for a wonderful thread.

Archived