JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Afternoon Duties & Diversions | Early Afternoon 25/12- Xmas 1677

The blond, hampered by having fought a much taller Charles Rex and the heat of his thick hair, was more winded than Buckingham. It would remain to be see how much youthful stamina might compensate, but that did not make Francis shy away in the least.

He enjoyed getting fairly beaten. It kept things interesting.

"Ah, but I am your insolent pup now, my lord Duke," Francis countered as a small flick of his wrist and moment of his arm went to meet Buckingham's sword. Tired or not, he was bold. After all, if "be true" went for the King it surely went for his uncle too.

"It is you that have tutored me and by your example," he added, in between movements.

Some were easily disjointed by commentary, but Francis thought the Duke might enjoy such prodding banter as they prodded each other with swords.

Francis only barely blocked the moves of his uncle, only to be pressed back, and the press forward again. To and fro till both were sweating profusely again. Meanwhile, George like his nephew was not silent. That was not the Villiers style.

"My style indeed," George laughed breathlessly "You mean that you've been standing at dawn more than once, defending your honor ... and that of the lady that you've been found in bed with?"

"George," murmured Charles in warning, not wishing his friend to encourage that typical Villiers behaviour. He did not like his friend's violent passionate streak in the least, in fact he had forbidden dueling by royal decree, but had been unable to stop Buckingham from being one of the foremost duelist in the country. Who has ever stopped George doing anything? Secretly Charles fretted far more about George or his brother getting hurt than he ever feared being slain by the sword himself. It was so irrational!

Francis was far too focused to hear the King, but such brotherly concerns were familiar to him as well with his own George and Will. It was not strange, though perhaps it was so for a King.

"Not in England, which is more than can be said for you!" Francis countered back, about duels at dawn. Although, to be honest, if he was called upon to do so, he surely would. Honor ran pretty deeply in him.

The smile on his face through the breaths and grunts showed the younger blond was surely enjoying all the repartee.

Well, if ever I am called upon to use my sword in defense of the King, at least they shall both have comfort in my ability, he thought with a laugh that came out, continuing to be be backed up and moved to the side by the Duke, as he attempted to do the same, looking for an opening while trying to keep his own opening small.

• 2 weeks later...

"Never will you hear me say it... out loud," George laughed at Francis' return. The young one got a move in, but then George blocked him twice and nearly nicked him, quick blocks the only thing stopping him. " What is that Francis? Are you becoming dandified? A pretty courtier," Buckingham teased.

The wily old fox was quick on his feet still, despite exhaustion. Both were panting now, words becoming more difficult. It was the old man's experience that saw him through, while the younger was in obvious beter condition. Suddenly the duke was aiming straight for Francis chest when Kingston briefly stumbled. Charles gasped, caught up in the fight.

OOC: very bad dice roll, I'm giving you one chance to redeem or fold

"Only if it has been...Your Grace doing...it...to me," Francis challenged back in between parries and defensive maneuvers of his own. Dandified!

The Duke was quick and concise with his movements, even as he tired.

Unsure of whether he might have hit a slick of sweat or misstep of his own, Francis stumbled some but refused to give up in true Villiers fashion. Instead of trying to stumblingly back up faster than Buckingham could advance, which would be hard to recover out of balance, Francis took the stumble for what it was, something which would likely bring the Duke forward aggressively.

He blocked high as he took a knee, hoping to hook blades long enough to grab Buckingham's wrist with his off hand to pull him forward and passed Francis' body.

If he could get the Duke to stumble or leave his back bare for long enough and move by him, there was some small hope. At least he would go down with more entertainment than retreating and blocking frantically if he failed! Losing to Buckingham was nothing to have hurt pride over anyway. The old lion still had skill and experience!

Francis gave it his all. No retreat, forwards. Wrists locked. Sweat dropped down, from both of them. For just a single moment it looked like the young lion might prevail, youth over experience, as they wrestled.

It was pure chance, though George would deny it and proclaim his skill. For a moment the duke appeared to stumble but then he turned slightly and managed to trip Francis, while their swords both went flying in another direction, a non-combative move. George blocked him to the ground with his larger frame. In a real fight a dagger would have found its way to Francis' gut, unelegant but sure. Buckingham was ruthless enough for it. For one moment he looked down upon his nephew fanatically with deadly ice blue eyes, before a grin spread, softening his features.

George sprang to his feet an offered Francis a hand.

"Brava," Charles called, and gestured to his footmen to deliver ale to the two combatants. "I say, we ought to order baths before we join the Christmas Ball," the King chuckled "So much sweat, the ladies will faint otherwise."

Swords went flying, which was a small victory in itself from Kingston's view; he denied the Duke an easy victory and got something of a minuscule win in disarming his more experienced partner. Even if, admittedly, his own sword was also gone!

Buckingham, however, capitalized on his superior size in both height and weight as they turned to grappling. That both had fought real fights was obvious, not just honorable duels, but the sort of life or death fight that happened in dark corridors and away from court. Despite his age, the Duke was strong and never was his character one to hesitate. Francis was very obviously smaller, and perhaps a little bit surprised at the outcome of it all too! It was clearly his uncle's moment and triumph.

Francis' back met the floor, hard enough to knock a bit of the wind from him. The force of Buckingham's full weight to force him to the ground made it both a speedy and rough impact. For a moment Francis thought his uncle might punch him in the gut for good measure. Instead, the Duke sprang back and up, offering Francis a hand up, amusement written on his similar but elder features. It took a moment for him to accept it.

The youthful-looking new baron then chuckled breathlessly, hair sticking to him mercilessly. "At least, Sir, I hope I did not disappoint," he said between hard breaths. "And well done, all have thus both won and loss. I'd be doubly humbled to aspire close to evenly matched." Both opponents were at the top of such a game.

It was strangely like being able to hold your own against some sort of fabled heroes from one's childhood; it was one of those times it all became a bit surreal for Francis. Surreal enough to make him blush.

As to the King's comment, thankful for a distraction, Francis lifted his arm and gave himself a faux sniff. 'Your Majesty is too clever, my ruse is so easily discovered.," he joked. "I suppose I shall have to deter the ladies another way." He put on a lamenting look and shrugged in a boyish sort of way.

(We can summarize this up if you wish )

"You won't escape the dancing so easily Kingston," Charles laughed and clasped his gentleman on the shoulder "I expcect all my gentlemen to be on their most charming tonight. It is going to be very special."

Thus it was that the gentlemen each withdrew to their own sphere, and on the way back to Buckingham's mansion the elder told Francis about the amusing incident with Daisy, and how the King dispensed easily with find ing new homes for this newest bunch of dogs. It was an all too frequent occurance with the number of spaniels that King insisted on keeping close to him.

OOC: yes, that seems wise

Archived