JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Winter Rose (early afternoon 25th)- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

John laughed as she said he was proper, “Thank you, b-b-but no. I’m not.” Or at least he wasn’t compared to who he considered proper. To some degree his vision of the thing was skewed. He did know he wasn’t a libertine, though. “There are m-m-many who’re much more proper than I.”

John laughed at Caroline’s jest, “N-n-none of us are p-p-perfect, but you are not so far as you imagine, I think. C-c-come now, tell me, how are you imperfect? What would this mythical sister of yours… have that you d-d-don’t?” There were women John would despair to have as a sister or a daughter. Caroline wasn’t one of them, nor even close.

John sighed, “I hope so.” John had great difficulty imagining he did. Perhaps when he had some success… though perhaps not. His issues were not even mostly a product of his circumstances at court.

He insisted that there were many folk who were more proper than he. Well, if that was so, she did not know them. Or perhaps he was simply insisting due to being modest? Well, she would not push it then. Now when it came to perfection, as her mother had talked about, Caroline pointed out she was far from such a lofty status. This time it was John who was coming to her defense with his kind words.

"Hmmmm, my mythical sister? Well, she would be beautiful of course, she would turn men's heads as she entered any room. And she would always be calm, balanced, never one to lose herself in anger. And the King, he would know her not just by name but by familiarity," Caroline imagined aloud.

She had assured him he made a fine earl, he was reluctant to agree though it was apparent he certainly wished to be. Caroline thought him far too hard on himself.

"Well, if ever I can help you succeed in that wish, be certain to let me know. Granted, that is probably not all that useful an offer given I have no pull or even repute in court," she touched his hand as she added, "Regardless, promise me you and I will always be friends, regardless of our success or lack of in court."

“Ah, I think I s-s-saw her once. She was on a pedestal in Lord Burghley’s house. M-m-made of Puh-parian Marble, I think.” John said. John was, in a roundabout way, implying the sister was an Italian statue, an imagined ideal. “You’re p-p-plenty beautiful and have a g-g-good disposition. As for the King, that j-j-just takes a bit of work if you want it.”

“I appreciate it nevertheless.” John said when she offered help. John didn’t mind she wasn’t currently powerful. He didn’t have any specific ideas yet, but that hardly mattered. He would find something, he was sure. And if she ever needed his help, well, he’d already promised to do whatever she asked.

John was surprised as she took his hand but he squeezed hers gently, his hand shaking as always, “Of c-c-course.” He wasn’t sure why they wouldn’t be. If anything John expected he would cherish these friendships formed early at court more. If he ever became successful, he imagined he would have a great many new ‘friends’.

“I’m having a snowball f-f-fight, if you’re interested.” John added, somewhat awkwardly after the declaration. He wasn’t quite sure how to segue into it so he just awkwardly blurted it out.

For just a brief instant she was confused when he began to say he had actually saw this mythical sister of hers, that was til it was apparent he referred to nothing other than a statue. That brought a smile to her pert features.

"So that explains why she has always been so ...rigid with me," she joined in the joke.

"Thank for the compliments, even if they aren't necessarily true. You are kind to say them though," she added then paused to consider about the King.

"No, I am not that ambitious. I know he is a target for many ambitious ladies, let them fight over his attentions," she declared, she was afterall rather realistic in her expectations.

They agreed then to both do all in their power to hang onto this friendship for both their mutual benefit and, more importantly to her, they truly were fond of each other. If only John had been her husband, she was certain her married life would have been so very different than what had actually happened. But no one could go back and live one's life over again. His next words snapped her out of those deep reflections. Caroline blinked.

"A snowball fight? You are?" Where had that come from so suddenly? Given his physical afflictions she would have never guessed he engaged in such things.

"I am not certain what you mean? Are you saying do you wish to go outside....now? And throw snowballs at each other?" she asked with a grin though. She was definitely not horrified only amused.

John laughed at Caroline’s confusion and further at her pun. He turned serious as she dismissed his comments as polite lies, “I d-d-do not say anything untrue, Lady Kendishall. Not if I c-c-can help it.” Caroline really did appear pretty to him, and she was kind, at least to him, which was how John judged most personalities.

John smiled as she said she didn’t aim for the King, “Well, at any r-r-rate, I will help you if I can.” John imagined that would be in finding a second husband… but truthfully, he cared a great deal more about Caroline’s happiness than strict expectations.

John had never been married. He would not be the perfect husband of fairytales, truthfully. But he would be much better than Caroline’s husband. Perhaps even better than a great many husbands at court. Even if he was eventually sunk into the depths of libertinism, he would likely never neglect his wife as badly as many men did.

John smiled awkwardly at her surprise. It was fair, in truth. But this sort of carnival, childish thing was how John had his fun. The more libertine sorts of entertainment were beyond him but he wasn’t entirely dull. John laughed at her proposal, “Mine’s on the thirty f-f-first.”

“But that d-d-does sound like fun.” Caroline was correct John wouldn’t be much of a fight. He expected to lose at his event too but that was simply a condition of his life.

Ah, so he even had a date arranged for this snowball fight? She was catching on now. Caroline chuckled a bit at the mental image of it all. Some people throw parties or arrange river rides or outdoor picnics. Leave it to John to plan a snowball fight, at least it was not a watching flowers grow party. Though nothing she would have ever predicted to come from a man like him, that did not mean she didn't like the idea.

"So, on that date there will be a prearranged snowball fight? Why I would be delighted to attend. It sounds like splendid fun!" she gushed.

"The last time I tossed a snowball I was but a mere girl...hmmm, twelve perhaps...no thirteen. I warn you though I was not without some skill, especially for a female. My father's face more than once got a cold wet taste of my accuracy," she grinned. Caroline could not help it, she was very competitive in these sorts of activities.

"Oh and if you hit me first, well, I warn you, I do not accept quarter then until I take my revenge," she added with a smirk.

John really was not as boring as he seemed. Underneath his fearful, quiet exterior, he could be a good deal of fun if he felt comfortable. Or was drunk.

“I hope so.” John said, his smile wide. He chuckled as she said she hadn’t done it in a while. John never really put aside childish things. Still, her stories as a girl were amusing. “There are to be t-t-teams. Rescuers, princesses to be rescued, and villainous Turks to contain them. If you w-w-wish to be a princess, I shall be a Turk.” John offered.

“You’ll still g-g-get to fight. Once a gentleman’s c-c-come you can join the general melee. There’ll be a c-c-castle, you see, and they’ll fight their way in and then everyone… w-w-will fight their way out.” This was actually becoming somewhat elaborate, but it had been Sophia’s suggestion, and John liked the idea of building a snow fort.

“But as f-f-for revenge.” John came back to her smirk, with a cocky little grin, “You m-m-might try.”

He then explained there would be teams, and even roles. Fascinating. Caroline nodded as she listened, relishing a chance to relive a part of her youth. She had been fortunate, her childhood had been a happy one, even with all the moving. She had been loved and even doted upon especially by her mother. God, how she missed her mother!

"Oh, no not a princess. All meek and fearful awaiting rescue...that is hardly me. I think it would be grand to play one of the villains, the blacker the better. Hmmm, I might even wear a turban instead of a hat," she could see it all now, such fun.

He assured her she could still fight even in the princess role but she had her mind made up.

"No, I am fine with being a Turk. Besides I would imagine other women might yearn for that role...you have invited other women to this, I hope?"

"Well, if we are on the same side, then no need for revenge," she pointed out but then smiled evilly, "Unless I decide on a coup? Did you know that when the old sultan dies, the heir who gets the throne - and it is by no means always the eldest son - has all his brothers murdered? My father told me."

“Lady Turks are g-g-going to wear white, I think, and p-p-play wicked snow queens. But you m-m-might ask Lady Toledo about that.” Johns aid. He nodded that there would be other women there. “So f-f-far only you and Lady Toledo, but I intend to p-p-put it out to court generally.” So hopefully there would be more. A great deal more.

John laughed at her coup, “If you w-w-want to plot it, do not tell me, or I’ll have you executed by snowball!” John replied, miming a bad tossing motion. She spoke of the strange customs of the Turks. He was glad that wasn’t the custom here. He doubted he would have won such a contest. “So… what you’re saying is…” John trailed off mischievously, “If I g-g-give you a reason for revenge you’re going to t-t-try and attack my brother instead?”

It was a misinterpretation, but that hardly mattered.

"Hmm, a wicked Turk snow queen, I think I can play that," Caroline giggled, the whole scenario sounded both ludicrous and so much fun. So Lady Toledo was a part of this. The Spanish ambassador certainly seemed to be an easy going sort...especially for a Spaniard. Her father had told her Spaniards were intolerant and prone to any possible slights to their supposed honor, a quarrelsome lot. Come to think of it though, the same could describe her father and he was French through and through.

"As long as Sophia does not bring along her monkey," she joked. Wintry weather and monkeys probably did not mix well anyhow.

"Oh I am sure that Nicolette would enjoy playing. You must ask her," she suddenly thought of her fellow French woman and good friend.

"A secret coup? What a novel concept!" she laughed, "What fun would it be if you were not spending the entire fight in fear of when I would turn on you?"

Caroline scoffed and waved her hand dismissively at his threat of executing her by snowball, "I bet you cannot even hit me."

His next question was confusing though. She wasn't sure he got her point about the Turks removing their own family from succession possibilities.

"No, but in the first place IF you were a PROPER Turk you would not be so careless as to still have your brother around in the first place," she pointed out with a smirk.

John was, in truth, deeply unhappy with how court was going. The event was meant to lighten the mood and, in losing the battle, he hoped to achieve catharsis of many of the negative feelings. “Play?” John said, then realization dawned. “Oh, I suppose you’re n-n-not a Turk.” John wasn’t half as shy as he seemed, especially once he was comfortable with someone.

“I think she is b-b-bringing Lord Toledo.” John said. While he meant it as a joke, he played it completely straight.

“I w-w-will. You can invite people too. The more the merrier.” John said. “Though I think Mademoiselle w-w-would want to be a princess. She’s g-g-got a crush on that Ranelagh fellow. It’d be a wonderful thing if he rescued her.” John said. He wasn’t sure what to make of the first name basis, but John didn’t mind too much.

John laughed at her attempts to worry him with a coup. Well, if she wanted to rule his castle she was welcome to try. “Nope, I c-c-can’t.” John said, “Not a chance.” He grinned wickedly, as if he was luring her into a false sense of security.

“But if my b-b-brother wasn’t around, who’d avenge me after your coup?” John asked. He faked puzzlement, but he was obviously not entirely serious either.

"Come now, do I look like a Turk to you?" she grinned as her eyes lit up in mirth, she was enjoying their silly banter and it was a side of John she was not used to seeing.

As to his revelation Sophia would be bringing her ambassador husband, she found that hard to believe but shrugged, "Monkey, Spaniard, little difference really."

She was certainly among those who did not like the Spaniards, longtime rivals and even enemies to the island nation. That and her father had taught her to dislike a lot of nationalities.

Good, he was going to be inviting Nicci, she could certainly see that girl diving into this sort of thing with enthusiasm. Plus he encouraged her to invite people on her own too. She nodded.

"I will do that then if I get an opportunity. Of course they will be my devoted minions then and aim for you upon my command," she continued to tease, including that he would never even be able to hit her with a snowball if he tried. He seemed to agree with her on that one. In truth though, she would not mind it if the man managed a good strike or two, anything to please him. She wanted him to enjoy himself more.

"What would you even care? If you are removed by coup, that is the end of you. It is how the Turks play their politics," she pointed out, "Bloody minded infidels."

But wait wasn't he here for more than to discuss snowball fights and ruthless Turks? Ah yes, the flowers. Mayhaps she should steer him back in that direction.

"Oh, not that I wish to rush you but I am uncertain how long you have to stay? We must not forget the roses," she smiled.

“I’ve never seen a Turk.” John said, “So I’m g-g-going to say…” John seemed to ponder, “Yes.” John laughed as she said her friends would be her army for the coup. “Well, one m-m-must chance danger to be a leader.” He expected the situation to devolve into general chaos regardless. If she wanted to launch a coup, John wouldn't mind too much.

As for revenge, “I suppose I wouldn’t.” John admitted to her logic. “In the meantime, as a Turk, d-d-don’t I get as many wives as I can seize? How d-d-do you think I might stock my harem?” John leaned back and stroked his chin. The fact he wasn't blushing was itself evidence he wasn't taking the prospect seriously.

“Yes, to the winter roses.” John said with a smile. He didn’t know where she’d put them but he waited for her to lead the way.

He had a rather witty comeback for her faked offense at being mistaken for a Turk. It made her laugh. This was a side of John she wished she would see more of. He was enjoying himself so that pleased her very much.

"Heavy is the head that bears the crown...or something like that," Caroline remarked as the joking continued, leading to him mentioning his harem. Oh my!

"Yes, take advantage of that dubious benefit," she laughed, "I sometimes think my father felt overwhelmed with just his one wife. My mother was a handful."

"Well, I do think you should have at least one wife who can play the cello for you, sooth you after a long day making snow forts and slaughtering infidels and such," she flashed a big grin, let him figure out who that woman could possibly be.

It was great fun but he had come here about the winter roses so she felt compelled to mention them once more. She had no desire to rush him but at the same time, he might have other places to go on this busy holiday. Caroline stood up and motioned for him to follow her. She very purposely did not walk at her usual peppy pace given the man's afflictions.

"Right this way, I have them on a shelf with good access to sunlight and have watered them myself, can you imagine?" she smiled as they made their way thru a narrow hall to a sideroom.

John wasn’t shy so much as he was afraid. He had been laughed at, mocked, and excluded, and that cut deeply. Once he trusted a person, though, or felt safe, he would show a less shy side. So he smiled as she laughed.

“It’s heavy b-b-because it’s big.” John said of royal heads. He chuckled along at the dubious benefit. “You’re the T-t-turk, you’ll have to advise me.” John said, still amused. “P-p-perhaps you can keep the others in line.”

“Mmm. Good idea.” John said. “I, John Bramston, take you, Caroline Despanay, to be one of my Turked harem wives, to throw snowballs and play cello, to smite infidels and whoever else, and to keep the others in line, till your sudden but inevitable betrayal do we part.” John grinned. He wasn’t taking this the least bit seriously.

“Ahh,” John looked for some piece of jewelry to give her. He only had a cravat pin, so he offered it to her. It was a green piece, only semi-precious, in the shape of a thorny vine. He chuckled as he held it out.

John followed along and laughed, “Well, I b-b-better examine them. They’re p-p-probably moments from death!” They actually looked perfectly healthy. John walked over and examined them a bit more closely. They weren’t ready to bloom yet, but they would within a few days. “You’ve w-w-watered them just about the right amount. Keep them like that, and shear off any buds that wither to g-g-get fuller flowers.” John pronounced.

Sultan John apparently was quite amenable to her entry into his harem as he ticked off his expectations of her.

"Throw snowballs, I can do that. Play the cello, but of course! Oh and you will find me quite proficient at smiting too," she grinned. Little did he know.

"And yes, in the end betraying you, I can handle all of these. It shall be such a happy marriage, well til the climactic betrayal but life is in the journey not the ending, right?" she teased.

What happened next she certainly did not expect. He presented her with a cravat pin, nothing all that expensive but that didn't matter to her. And even though they were both engaging in one long joke, something about his sudden kindness touched her. Why could not this man have been her original husband, she would have been more than content.

"Thank you, thank you very much. I hope this is not part of the joke because I am telling you right now I plan on keeping this. How sweet of you," she held it in her hand and looked at it then up to him.

On to the roses and despite his first tease, he did seem to think she had done a good job of caring for them. Though he still had advice.

"Oh, very well, I will be sure to do that. Did you hear that, roses? Any witherers amongst you will meet the headsman. No mercy!" she laughed.

John chuckled. He’d been reciting a mocking form of the wedding vows but there was no ‘I do’ in reply. But it hardly mattered, it was a Turkish sort of marriage anyway. “I’m sure it w-w-will be the betrayal of a lifetime.” John put his hand over his heart and sighed in exaggerated fashion, like a girl in love.

Things turned a bit more serious as she took the pin. John didn’t stop smiling but it shifted from glee to warmth, “Keep it, keep it.” He encouraged her. “You m-m-must know I do think of you dearly. And that’s no joke.” Caroline had been the first person he’d met at court. It had been awkward at first, as many things were with John, but he was ever so glad to have met her.

“I’ll be g-g-glad to have you at my side. Whether as a Turk-wife or a friend.” He smiled at her. And I really should give her something better than a random bauble.

John laughed uproariously at Caroline’s speech to the troops. “I should have you f-f-for my florist. Whip those lazy flowers into shape!” Fanciful ideas of an army of flowers at the siege came to mind, but John couldn’t imagine how to make that work. Still, perhaps he could at least give Caroline a flowered costume.

Caroline grinned at his hamming it up and added to it, "Oh, you deserve nothing but the finest, that would include betrayals."

He insisted she keep the pin he had presented her. Well, no argument there as she already had forcefully declared she had intended to do just that. And it wasn't because of the value of the item, for it was probably not worth much monetarily, but because of who had given it. He added to the moment by assuring her of her place in his heart. She nodded, locking her eyes with his.

"And me you, John. Nothing will sever this friendship. And while I would make a terrible Turk-wife, you will always be able to count on me at your side. My parents always taught me to be loyal to one's friends and terrible to one's enemies."

Once he was taken to her roses, the discussion centered on the care of such flowers. She wanted to learn from him. When it came to plants, he truly was an expert. Of course she couldn't help but joke around, just a little.

Her eyes sparkled at his laughter at her last quip, "Indeed. My father drilled soldiers to fear him more than the enemy. And I am a soldier's daughter. Your flowers would tremble at my mere glare. I may be small but I am truly ferocious ....although, come to think of it, I am rather a giant compared to a flower."

John turned serious for a moment, looking back at her, and he nodded. “And me you.” He replied simply. Foreigner or not, Caroline was dear to him. “Well then, I know what side I wish to be on.” John replied to her dictum about friends and enemies.

John was actually more of a gardener than a botanist. He did know something of caring for plants but he was better at planting whole gardens than he was at growing specific plants. Which was fortunate since, despite his protestations, winter did make plants less likely to grow. It didn’t mean there was less to do in parks, though, where snow sculptures and water and any number of other things could be done to make winter gardens.

John laughed as she professed she would make an army of his flowerbeds as a giant sergeant. “That’s g-g-good. They’ve been getting off too easy for far too long because they’re p-p-pretty!” John waved his cane in the direction of the bushes like an overly stodgy taskmaster. He dissolved into chuckling laughter despite himself.

As he recovered from his rising fits, “I hope you l-l-like them. At some p-p-point I’d like to do the garden of your house, if you’d let me.” She’d offered him a bit of land, and moreover was a dear friend. He wanted to reward that. “What sort of g-g-gardens do you like?”

Caroline couldn't help but smile when John instantly decided he would not want to be included amongst her enemies. If he only knew....not that he would ever have to worry. Ever since that day, she had assured herself that was a once in a lifetime deed. Wrong, perhaps, but necessary if she was to have any sort of a life. She was taught all about conscience of course but still she had never even a single day of regret for what was done.

He had been rather pleased upon finishing an examination of the roses and she inwardly congratulated herself on meeting his standards, never before had she taken enough interest in plants to bother herself with fussing over them. But for these she had put forth the effort. She now realized though, less for the flowers than for simply not wanting to fail him. He did not have it easy in his life and she just yearned for him to be ....well, happier.

"Ahh, so you admit it then? You make allowances for being pretty do you?" she smiled.

And as for his inquiry about the roses, that was easy to answer.

"Oh I like them very much. They add such color to this rather gloomy old house," she answered honestly enough.

He had remembered about her offer then so she nodded.

"Yes, most definitely yes. I would be delighted if you would do whatever you think would be best for my garden. I know I would be in over my head if it were up to me to make it bloom."

"As for what sort of garden I would like? I don't know....a garden with good variety and very much color. The more colors the better," she then declared.

“I m-m-make allowances for nearly everyone.” John said with an exaggerated sigh, “That’s why you’ll have to keep them in line!”

“Do you w-w-want to know a secret?” John said, and he lowered his voice, “I’m a t-t-terrible Turk. Not the good kind of terrible that conquers Asia. The bad kind of terrible. Though it’s because I’m bad. Or rather, It’s because I’m bad at being terrible.” John was miming his normal lack of confidence but his tone was just a bit too assured.

John smiled and nodded, “I’ll have my d-d-draftsman make some sketches up and we can… go over them t-t-together.” John said. But it was good she wanted varied and colorful. John’s style could accommodate that easily. He was thinking something cottagesque, though he would have to see.

"Oooh, a secret? Why of course I would," Caroline eagerly agreed to his question, though doubting it was all that deep or dark a secret. They were joking around with each other for a bit now. Sure enough, his admission was rather funny.

"Indeed, I believe you. You seriously lack all the proper evil qualities to make of you a proper Turk. Or villain of any kind. You are simply far too nice, too kindly," she smiled.

Her smile faded though as she added, "As secrets go, John, that is nothing to worry about. Trust me, I have far worse secrets in my life, having absolutely nothing to do with Turks."

When it came to John taking charge of her spring garden, the man took it as a most serious responsibility, even discussing sketches. But she easily agreed to however he wished to organize this and then do it. She had complete faith in him.

"Very well, I shall be delighted to see what you come up with. This is going to be very exciting, mayhaps my garden shall become the talk of the neighborhood," she beamed.

John sighed in exaggerated fashion, “I shall simply have to live with myself as I am. Some men are simply not b-b-born to conquer Asia.” John faded into seriousness as Caroline did, “The world is n-n-not always so kind.” He would leave it up to her whether she wanted to reveal her secrets or not. He would not press.

John took his hobbies very seriously. They had, at times, been the only thing he had to retreat from the world. And he so often had to retreat. “I d-d-do hope.” John said. Truthfully, her garden was already good. That didn’t mean there weren’t things he could do. Besides, he liked to help his friends, even in minor ways.

"D-d-do you have a favorite flower, a favorite tree, a favorite color, anything like that?" John asked, "Or a f-f-favorite garden?"

Caroline giggled at his joking remark about conquering Asia and added her own jest, "That's because Asia is not a garden."

Moving on to secrets, she grew more serious in words and expression, he grew more serious then too, declaring the world was "not always kind." He was right of course and his own physical condition and life thus far was proof of that, she realized. John did not want pity from her though, she knew that.

"No...no it isn't. And neither am I. But when I am with you...well, you bring out the best in me, another of a litany of reasons I treasure your company, John," she declared very solemnly.

He seemed almost excited to know he could take charge of her garden for the coming spring and she honestly was glad she could give him the task. He enjoyed it, she enjoyed his company, and in addition her garden would profit from someone who knew what he was doing. He wanted to know more though.

"Favorite flower? I like any brightly colored flower but if I must choose, then I would choose roses, they were my mother's favorite too. As for tree, I never even thought about it. Now as to colors, I like red...blue also," she answered them.

"Favorite garden? I have not been to that many but I hear Louis XIV has magnificent gardens...though I would imagine his labor force is larger than mine....which is ...hmm, oh yes, you!" she poked him in the chest playfully then laughed.

“So what you’re suh-saying is I ought to start invading gardens and annexing them?” John again twisted her words with a smile. "Get together an army of g-g-gardeners and start laying claim."

More seriously, “I’m g-g-glad. I do try. It’s not always easy, you know.” John said. He jumped slightly, “N-n-not that there’s anything you’ve done.” He rushed to assure her, “I j-j-just… I don’t want you to think of me as perfect. I have thoughts as b-b-black as anyone.”

Back on gardening, “Hmm.” Rose gardens were easy enough, and the plants were very common. John was already laying out the plans in his mind. “I c-c-can work with that.” Red and blue were good colors and easy enough to mix with green.

John laughed as she poked him. The fact he didn’t flinch was a sign of how comfortable he was, “If you c-c-can pay for Versailles, I can give you Versailles.” John said, “Though I p-p-personally haven’t liked what I’ve seen in p-p-prints.” He would make it in a more English style.

“How m-m-many crates of gems and tons of silver have you g-g-got lying around then?” Versailles was extremely opulent.

"I do not think my father would recommend gardeners if you are going to raise an army," Caroline teased, "but then my father would no doubt take gardening entirely too seriously."

"It's one thing to have black thoughts, quite another to act on them, John, and there is where you and I are different...but I shouldn't talk so gloomily," she realized mayhaps she had said quite enough. Not that she worried about his confidentiality over their discussion topics.

He seemed quite happy with her likes and suggestions toward this future garden. Caroline was certain he could do a superb job of it. It would end up being a wonderful sight, she just knew it.

Suddenly she thought of something.

"Would it be too bold of me to ask to visit your estate in the summer to see your own gardens? I picture them in my mind's eye as glorious!" she smiled.

It was back to kidding, this time she wanted gardens like those in Versailles. And he said it could be done if she could only pay for it. Caroline put on an exaggerated pout on those youthful features of hers.

"Well! If you are going to bring up picky details like actually paying for it...then I will speak of it no more."

“Hmm, imagine a general as a gardener.” John said with a grin, “All stern faced and sour while wearing a little bonnet. Calling his flower beds d-d-divisions and desperately trying not to enjoy himself.” He chuckled at the thought.

“D-d-don’t think of me as perfect,” was John’s only reply to her insistence they were different. But he was happy to let the matter drop. It was comfortable for neither of them.

“Bold?” John said, “No, of c-c-course not. If you’re concerned with that sort of thing I c-c-can have you stay with a friend.” John thought her objection was to staying in the home of an unmarried man and the implications that would entail. “I warn you, though, I live in a d-d-device castle and the area’s very urban.” John’s home was less untouched nature than it was commercial hub. And device castles, while practical, were not terribly fashionable.

But he left his gardens uncommented upon. They were indeed lovely, in his view. And large enough the locals thought, often correctly, they could get away with strolling through them as if they were public. Though John’s unwillingness to bring down the full penalties for trespass might have had something to do with that.

John laughed at her pout. He pinched her cheek like an overly petulant child and then dissolved into laughter again. “It will be lovely, I p-p-promise.” And lively as he saw her. He also thought she might use a rose concealed grotto or two. He had no illusions about the sort of fun widows got up to, even if he himself was virginal.

"I did not say perfect, John, none of us are that," Caroline lightly corrected him. It was time to move on past that whole subject though.

She then decided to come right out and boldly ask him if she might visit his estate so as to get a personal view of what she imagined to be most impressive gardens. Was it also an excuse to spend more time with him? She decided that indeed it probably was. Nothing wrong with that. She truly enjoyed his company but she told herself that was as far as it went. He was too high a station for her to be a desired wife. Not to mention she was not currently interested in marriage regardless. She had her freedom now, she was a so-called Merry Widow. She had only begun to sample that tasty advantage.

He accepted instantly as she expected he would. He included an offer to live with a friend of his while she stayed over.

"Oh if you think it necessary? Of course, I do not wish to bring even the slightest whiff of scandal to your good name," she assured him.

She was back to teasing again this time about Versailles gardens including an over the top dramatic pout. To her surprise he actually pinched her cheek! He certainly was loosening up around her, that much was just proven. He promised her visit to his gardens would be lovely and she believed him too.

"Then I shall come then...when summer finally comes. I shall look forward to it, John," she smiled.

John laughed as she spoke of protecting his reputation, “I’d p-p-prefer you stay in the castle. I don’t think anyone will think worse of us for it.” Or at least so John imagined. At worst they could be accused of being lovers. That would hardly stain either of their reputations. Neither of them had anyone they were supposed to be faithful to or any expectation of virginity.

Not that John thought they would become lovers. He just wasn’t afraid of being accused of it. It was part of the reason he was so comfortable with taking her to the ball, a role often filled by a wife. He’d have been a bit more cautious with a married or never-married friend.

John was not so cold once he knew someone, trusted them. With John's hang ups, touching someone was a sign of emotional trust. A sign that he knew they were accepting of him how he was. Caroline was quickly coming into that circle. “As shall I.” John said, a warm smile on his face.

It filled with mirth suddenly, “Until then, though, I think I should probably go before you find an opportune moment to dethrone me.” John felt their meeting was drawing to a close.

OOC: And I think that's a natural fin?

"Oh, I would much rather dethrone you at the snowball fight. More public, more dramatic. More glory for me, more disgrace for you," Caroline teased.

It had been a most entertaining visit and now it was time for him to go. She escorted him to the front door and just before he left, she reached out to squeeze his hand with hers.

"Thank you for being my friend. We shall talk again soon, good day to you."

ooc: Of course the lady always has to get the last word in but yes, fin!

Archived