JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Playing tag with a beloved [morning 25/12]- Xmas 1677

Fluff

"Thank you, my lord," the page whispered, and without ceremony put the expensive frock coat on the rough muddied floor of the passage way.

"It is alright Daisy girl, we are going bring them somewhere save," the boy tried to reassure the mother spaniel as he patted her head. There was a slight whimper from Daisy in protest as one by one all sicks of the little rats.. uh.. puppies.. were lifted on to the make shift blanket. John Henry stood with the little bundle in his arms

"Will you carry Daisy my lord? She must be exhausted. There is a discreet door into the Receiving Room right here" the page indicated with his head.

Beyond the wall the King and Buckingham were down in their half opened shirts, while two rapiers were readied with cork.

Charles, drawing on reserves of mental fortitude he had not known he possessed, manfully managed not to whimper at the fate of his frock coat.

Well, at least I have a reason to visit the tailor now.

Buoyed by thoughts of cuts and colours, Charles stooped to pick up Daisy without complaint, though he did give the dog a look that sought to convey that, royal pet or no, he would drown her if she soiled his waistcoat.

Now, how does one hold a dog? I have to support the neck, don't I? Or is that cats? Or children? One of them certainly.

A few moments of experimentation produced a hold that Daisy seemed to find comfortable and Charles gave John Henry a smile and a nod.

"Lead on."

Somewhat apprehensive John Henry moved to the discreet door and pushed it open with his shoulder. A life guard checked briefly but relaxed as he saw the page, then arched an eyebrow as he saw a gentleman just behind him. The spaniel in one eyed man's arms, the armful of puppies in the page. It was a story that told itself unspoken. The officer nodded sagely, Daisy again, and stepped aside.

The King was not paying any attention, his back to the door, as he jested with Buckingham. The two of them were preparing a fencing bout and seemed to be in high spirits though exactly what caused their amusement was clear. There were a lot of knowing glances and twinkling eyes, shared inner jokes in life long friends.

The page licked his lips and lost his tongue, giving Chatham an anxious glance, hoping he would take hte initiative. He was the Earl after all. Shouldn't his lordship be in charge?

Charles gave the life guard a one-shouldered shrug in response to his questioning eyebrow. There was little to be said beyond what was readily apparent. John Henry's reticence, meanwhile, was met with an encouraging smile- Charles had hoped to use the boy in the manner of a herald and thus buy himself a moment to work out how one was supposed to bow elegantly before one's sovereign with an armful of dog.

No matter.

Charles coughed politely to draw the attention of the room's most eminent personages.

"If we might be so bold as to interrupt, your majesty, your grace, we come bearing joyful news!"

His tone was almost manically cheerful.

While servants walked in and out regularly, the King hadn't expected to hear a cultured voice such as one of his courtiers. He had given orders not to be disturbed except by those of the first access and this was an unfamiliar voice. With half a frown but a characterstic half smile on his face nonetheless the Merry King turned around. So did the Duke, his face full of arrogant disdain for the interruption.

It took but a second to realize the treasure that the Earl had brought in. Triumphantly a very relieved John Henry, seeing as how Chatham's prediction had come true, held up his improvised blanket-frockcoat, an armful of puppies with closed yes making soft noises. The change in the King was immediate, love and concern swept over his face, even as Buckingham held his disdain and distance. Reverently the monarch touched the little rats, true fondness in his brown eyes. He patted John Henry on his head before releaving hte Earl from his burden, with exaggerated care.

"Daisy," he cooed, lifting her up this own arms and scratching her ear once she rested comfortably. "You naughty, naughty girl.." he murmured in that slightly higher ptiched voice people tended to use with small children and pets "You know how worried I am each time you sneak out. How could you do this to me again, mmm? " Daisy licked his face in unconcerned fashion.

"There gentlemen, see how the ladies treat us? They do not take us seriously at all. " the King laughed in his baritone to those around him before returning to his special voice "Oh, but you made me very happy Daisy, my girl, so many little babies. A Merry Christmas indeed."

The King looked closer at the Earl, arms still full of dog "Forgive me, I am not sure we were officially introduced? Perhaps, my lord you will explain your gracious role, and your presence at Our Court all in the same sweep. "

Despite not having fully resolved his logistical conundrum, Charles flattered himself that there were few gentlemen who could have shown as elegant a leg as he, under the circumstances. He straightened and was just about to introduce himself when he was swept up in the hurricane that the presence of his royal namesake.

There are veteran courtiers that would trade most anything to have this sort of unfettered access to the Royal personage. And I have achieved it, however briefly, on my second day, at the relatively low cost of a ruined frock coat. Given the favour Fortune shows me, perhaps I should change my name to Felix...

Charles was almost envious of the King's simple, unselfish joy. He himself had no passion so pure. He could not help but smile as his monarch mock scolded Daisy. Deciding to chance his arm, he ventured a small sally.

"It may be cynicism talking, but I fancy Daisy but sought proof of your devotion, your majesty.'Tis a not uncommon flaw in women of all stripes, in my experience."

And so Charles found himself faced by the full regard of his sovereign. It was, in that moment, very easy to understand why so many believed in the Divine Right of Kings. Charles swept another bow, clicking his heels.

"I have not had that honour, your majesty, no. I am Charles Audley, Earl of Chatham, but lately come to the title, and more lately still to court. I came because the times call for all true Englishmen to offer what service they can to King and country-" Charles's eye twinkled merrily, and his tone became that of one confessing a mischief, "-and the past few weeks at Chatham have reminded me why I spent so much time on the Continent. London promised to be vastly more diverting and so it has proven." He looked to Buckingham.

"On which note I must congratulate your grace. I have been to Italy, and even its finest opera houses would be hard pressed to excel the performance I witnessed last night. You have an excellent eye for talent. But I digress."

"As to how I became involved in young John Henry's quest, I managed to, ah, misplace myself in the palace this morning. I came across the young stalwart in some minor distress and, having ascertained its cause, I offered my help. I have a soft spot for young ruffians, having been one myself, and, in any case, the hunt promised to be an interesting way to spend a morning. My little friend was gracious enough to tolerate my bumbling, and so we set about our task. After consulting with Master Wrynn and... impressing the importance of our task upon the Life Guard, we found our prize and found it considerably greater than we had anticipated." The Earl's voice became lilting and self-mocking. "Alas, no great enterprise is accomplished without loss, and we were forced to sacrifice my frock coat, cut down in its prime."

Charles thought himself a good raconteur, and he was quite pleased with his latest performance.

The King was quite used to pretty speeches. It was his daily bread and butter. A lip lifted in a smile at the bon mot at the cost of Daisy, before Chatham dove into his monologue. Buckingham nodded briefly acknowledging the compliment from the Earl in regards to last evening's entertainment he only thought his due. He was a patron of the arts of only the finest artists after all, and Greyson and Cole clearly belonged in that stable.

"You made a great sacrafice," the monarch sympathized with some humour, exchanging a look with Buckingham. The Earl had no doubt found it enlightening to wander in the servants passageways. It was not a well kept secret, but certainly not everybody gained the same access.

"How precisely did you impress the Life Guard?" Buckingham demanded to know, feeling there was more to this story. Was the man a security risk?

"The loss of the frock coat, in and of itself, is of relatively little consequence your majesty. No, what I'm worried about is the reaction of my manservant. He'll either tender his resignation, or I'll be entombed in tailors' shops for at least the next week." Charles shrugged. "Or he might just replace all my scents with vinegar or some such."

Charles was quite pleased how this was going. He did not expect to gain anything permanent out of this beyond an amusing story and, if he was very fortunate, a faint glimmer of recognition in the eyes of the King and Buckingham, should they ever meet again. Then Buckingham asked his question.

Well, 'twas in consideration of the Life Guard I glossed over those details. No need to hesitate when baldly asked for them.

Charles turned to face the Duke. Gone was his earlier merriment, vanished like morning mist. Vanished too were the languid drawl and elegantly lazy gestures. His voice was now cool and dispassionate, the words formed in crisp, steely tones. For all the elaborate courtesies, the witty bon mots, the exaggerated verbosity and the love of fashion, art and luxury, Charles was at heart a soldier and in that moment there could be no mistaking otherwise.

"I have been and am a soldier, your grace. Shortly after John Henry and I entered the servant hallways, we were challenged by a Life Guard trooper. I found the manner of his challenge lacklustre. I replied in terms that a gentleman trooper of the Life Guard, who has never been to war, would perhaps not have expected. In brief, your grace, I overawed him, following which a cursory explanation of our errand sufficed to have him wave us on. Having passed the first picket, we were unchallenged by subsequent sentries. If I am honest, your grace, I would expect better from the Life Guard. I should be deeply displeased if any man under my command discharged his duty thus." A brief pause. "In their defense, it should be remembered that I was in the company of a liveried palace page, which doubtless suggested some official business."

The "though I feel this does not fully exculpate their lack of proper diligence," would be clear from his body language.

Charles tutted his concern, barely containing a laugh. He did like his gentlemen to entertain him, and is namesake's sorryful tale of what awaited him at the hands of his manservant was amusing. Clearly the Earl knew how those seemingly in power could be tortured by those beneath him.

Charles laughed now, it escaped him suddenly "Ah, you join the exalted ranks of many soldier-gentlemen at court, Lord Chatham, rest assured that now more than ever not a soul in England wishes me death. Not while my brother finally begot his heir and proved his virility double over. They'd be stuck with a Catholic line forever."

Buckingham, though, was not so light to dismiss Chathams complaint, a frown coming upon his handsome face " You do well to bring this to the attention of Major Langdon," he directed firmly. It would be pointless to bring it to the attention of Albemarle who was only nominally in charge of the LIfe Guards. Now is not a time to be cavalier about your safety Charles. It happened once before.

"Come now, less dire topics," the King soothed the suddenly irate Duke "We should reward Chatham, should we not?" He pursed his lips, too full marring his visage somewhat, though the ladies whispered they thought them most sensual. "Why, I think I shall charge you with finding new homes for all these little darlings, for my Queen already complains I have too many spaniels. Mind you, only the most worthwhile of ladies! I chare you with finding out the candidates and submit a list for my approval."

Charles suppressed a frown at his monarch's cavalier attitude to his security. Even assuming that the King was right and no English Protestant would kill him, that still left Catholics, foreigners and the insane. Besides, it was not just the King at risk from the Life Guard's lack of diligence. Buckingham, at least, seemed to view the matter seriously and Charles gave the Duke a nod.

"Such was my intent your grace."

The King pressed on, seemingly eager to avoid such weighty matters. His proposed reward for Charles made the Earl light up. His eye shone cheerily and a roguish smirk curved his lips. This was essentially an excuse to associate with damn near any woman at court and an opportunity for further interaction with the King. Play it smart and Charles could leverage those spaniels (in their capacity as symbols, however small, of royal favour) into something greater.

"Your majesty is most generous and I should be delighted to be of further service. When would your majesty wish the list to be finalised?"

I shall need a co-conspirator. My knowledge of court is still sadly lacking. Sharp little Sarah perhaps.

Buckingham acknowledged Chatham's understanding. it was vital matters were reported. He would make doubly sure, but Chathams input was vital to lend extra support and that it wasn't just the imagination of the King's inner circle who would fuss too much. The King was his own enemy in this regard, Buckingham believed.

"It is Christmas, is it not? Then I would say the 12th day of Christmas is an excellent day to put in you report," the King announced.

"We are very grateful," the King smiled as all waited upon him to make his further pleasure known "Please make sure the little ones and Daisy are settled." The spaniel was thrust back into Chatham's arms.

He did not say anything further but young John Henry heard a dismissal, starting to bow out of the presence of the King, towards the entrance through which they had come.

"Excellent. With your permission, then, I shall be about my task. There so many prospective candidates at court and 'twould be horribly unfair of me not to personally ascertain the character of each and every one. Your majesty, your grace."

Charles collected Daisy, swept an elegant bow and followed John Henry from the room. He waited a few moments to get out of earshot before smiling at the page.

"That went rather well, don't you think? Rather well indeed." Charles fished a crown piece from his waistcoat and walked it across his knuckles before offering it to the boy.

"In the spirit of the season, and in thanks for providing me with a most diverting morning and a great opportunity. Now, let us get our companions settled and then I would impose upon you for directions to St Marks."

(OOC: Fin?)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived