JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Basildon's: look who is coming to lunch [24th, noon]- Xmas 1677

Heather O`Roarke

Unaware she was providing amusement to Louis, Heather snapped "Rochester should know. He spiked the punch with opium so he had half he people at Brighton in higher spheres. In fact, even the King didn't know what he was doing. It is a wonder Johnny didn't end up the Tower again."

Unconciously Heather looked at her ring finger, now once again empty as she had returned the signet ring once again "There was a battle of wits. Some wager. When I woke up the next morning, without any memory of it, I found the King's pinky ring on my hand, again," she whispered, managing not to choke.

The redhead whirled around to face Louis, expecting amusement on his face, her green eyes narrowed in defense. After all it had been the grand prank of the century. "Some things are not so funny in the bright morning light, like waking up with an unexpected groom that can't think beyond fleeing the room." It had been beyond humiliating.

"It should not leave this room Louis, there was an annulment and that is the end of it," Heather spoke with rigid authority, her jaw stiff.

The Countess moved away from the fireplace, feeling she was cold beyond anything the fireplace might solve. All of London will toast Dorset this season. It made her feel ill.

Had it happened to someone else, the two of them would be laughing aloud at the absurdity of it. Yet, because Heather had been involved, the Earl needed to guard his amusement, pretending it to be a lamentable occurrence.

"One has to wonder whether it was a proper wedding in the first place," he whispered carefully. If an annulment had been granted, apparently, it had been taken seriously. "I do not doubt that Rochester had this planned from the start." Of course, Dorset was likely just as vexed at Johnny.

"Perhaps Johnny needs a taste of his own mischief," Louis suggested to support his friend, though wary of incurring the wrath of the Earl. "You might find a prostitute and an actor willing to play the part of a pastor, who would allegedly marry the Earl to the painted woman," he continued with an arched eyebrow and an inviting smile. "Or worse, since he might like being married to a prostitute, he is married to an impoverished prude," he laughed.

"James was furious," the redhead sighed "said that his brother was too amused by the prank to let Dorset get off the hook too easily, so he was forced to appeal to the archbishop of Canterbury instead." It was a very narrow escape indeed.

Heather harrumphed at the thought of Rochester with a prostitute. The man revelled in his low brow contacts. Louis final jest teased a reluctant smile from her lips "Oh, I like that, one who will try and convert him to a faitfhul life of prayer and good deeds. Each time the King sends him into the country he'll be chased by her with good intentions. He'll never hear the end of it."

Softly laughing now she shook her head, her golden red tresses bouncing "Does such a girl even exist in this day and age?"

The conclusion of the Dorset saga was met with a sympathetic nod and a serious look that masked his inner humor. One day, Heather might be able to laugh about it.

His amusement need not be hidden when it came to Rochester. "I have yet to meet the perfect lady, but let it be our private quest for the season to find Rochester's opposite and find a way to have him marry her, legitimately or not." It would be a welcome distraction for them both. "Nicolette seems to know most every stray at court. Let us put her to work on this too. I am thinking we need to find a Puritan family." It was hard to laugh about Puritans for he had grown up in such a household. No one deserved that fate, least of all him. "I am not sure there are any Puritan ladies at court." It was a shame that nuns could not marry. That would be the perfect match for the libertine.

"Excellent idea, we'll involve Nicci and other firends," Heather confirmed with a nod as she grabbed for her throw that had been discarded sometime after her entering. She carefully wrapped it around her porcelein shoudlers. It was cold outside and she was not about to expire from the snow.

"Goodbye Louis," she smiled with a wry smile "We'll plot and plan a bit longer during the week. I'm sure a puritan girl can be found. It will be fun." The redhead held some of her secrets close, but it was a joy that Louis cheered her nonetheless.

The subject of her brief marriage seemed to have a darkening mood upon the redhead. Ordinarily Heather was more carefree. Something had struck a chord with her, most likely Dorset.

"Farewell Heather," he replied as he rose to show her out. "Perhaps we can coax you to come to dinner one of these nights?" He meant Nicolette and himself. The Countess would likely bolster Nicci's confidence where Louis might not. "Let me know if I can be of assistance." Already seeds of schemes were planted in his mind.

"Dinner sounds most excellent," Heather agreed with warmth. Louis was still a good friend, and so too had Nicci become.

"I shall let you know. It feels good plotting with you again Louis. " It was a genuine statement. Despite her dark mood, the Earl had known how to get through her more optimistic personality. Impulsively she pressed a kiss at his cheek. Modest, but fitting to the situation.

"Goodbye Louis."

OOC: We are done here I think? Thanks for a most excellent thread.

Archived