JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Parry, Riposte, Remise! 24th Early Morning- Xmas 1677

Ambrose Turnbull

Ambrose and Heather

Ambrose gave a smirked grin, "But you look so pretty when you blush, and I'm not even up to admiring what's under your skirts yet. Rrr.." he made a rumbling sound in the back of his throat and eyed her with a waggling of eyebrows.

Heather was right to say courtly maidens would not cope with the Lieutenants style of advances, this he was somewhat aware of himself (the reason he'd not tried to talk to Sarah et al, and why she'd been nervous of talking to Heather till after he'd learnt she was worldly wise).

"Thank heaven for that." he uttered relief that he did not need to mimic Dryden. Though the man had constructed some accounts of battles that were admirably attempted, they were milky shadows of real life.

No, it was this Godiva style of wit that she admired.

"I shall secure myself a copy forthwith." he halted himself, realizing an opportunity therein, "or perhaps my lady would lend me her copy? I must study it with an urgent passion, to titillate and set your senses to scream for for my... wit, yes lets call it that." he gave a wink. There was the little detail that Heather was a Royal Mistress. Ambrose would be fool to make an enemy of York so early on in his London Career, but he was not thinking about ambition at that moment. He was pushing his luck, but believing any moment he'd meet with a rejection.

"Wicked?" His revelation of connection to Rupert did not have anticipated effect on the lady. She lamented, though unless he was mistaken, she was not remorseful one bit. His eyebrow rose. "I only hope that I shall come to think of you as wicked too." Briefly he felt jealous of his idol, had Rupert had his way with the redhead?

Had she noticed his stride had shortened as they approached the end of their walk. As they rounded the bend to the stables, he was properly dawdling, attempt to delay her departure. But maybe she was 'onto' him already? She moved then, like a warm dancer before him, and whispered with steamy breath. The lifeguards throat constricted with a sudden excitement, his eyes flaring with a plain answer to that.

His hand slid to the small of her back, and with an almost rough movement he pulled her close and planted his lips upon hers, kissing her with a sudden and urgent intensity.

Breaking apart, it was his turn to blush. "Forbidden yes. Please, forgive me." he stepped apart, senses reeling.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heather should have suspected it, but she was amusing herself too much teasing the gentleman. The tease to and fro, the lightheartedness of it. It was not that kiss was inartful. Far from it, normally she would enjoy it. The redhead had suffered much worse. It was its implication that incensed her. As he pressed against her she hardly had time to react. As Ambrose let her go, her reaction was instinctive and swift though. Without thinking her hand slapped his cheek forcefully.

"How dare you," Heather stomped her foot, incensed "Just because I am experienced..as you say.. it does not mean I am always available, for the taking without permission." She took a deep breath "Do you think I am a good replacement of those silly chits of the Duchess, mmm? That because you did not wish to dip your finger into her, you can dip into me without a by your leave?"

Unlike some maidens who would have stormed off at this point, the furious countess stood before Ambrose in challenge.

He was expecting it really. He'd been expecting it a half dozen times previous, though still the shock of a slap was like a bullet ricocheting around his brain.

His hand went to his cheek. The redheaded minx furie'd before him. He grinned.

"You are nothing to compare to those uptight chits, I'd never any intent to try kiss one or another of them. You are the fire on this cold day madam. And while I am sorry for the thieving of it that upset you, I cannot say I regret it, and given a chance I'd do it again. If you gave me another chance that is..." see how she stood there, bosom heaving with her anger. See how she was not fleeing at all but remained.

No, Ambrose was not clever with the ladies, for he believed he saw a woman wanting more, rather than one dead set against.

"Mark me well sir, I will not tolerate further thieving," Heather fumed "You fought for the honor of kissing me and lost. I care not for your preferences. Take heed of mine. I am an independent woman and will not succumb out of a whim."

Effort. It was effort she needed, she craved. Her chin up the Countess declared "Win me you must, and not by easy tricks of violence. Now, I shall see you woo me properly afore I award more. Good day, lieutenant."

Stew on that, she thought, finally turning and instead of disappearing in the garden, she moved into the stables, deciding on an impromptu visit of her stallion. Just before disappearing in the stable, Heather couldn't help but stealing one last look at Ambrose.

Well that made her point.

Yes he'd fought and lost. That he'd lost against a one eyed fop was a shame on his rank and years of service, while outwardly he'd taken it on the chin as a gentleman ought, to have her reminder now was a slap with more impact than the one to his face. The man winced, cut.

Taking a step apart from her he accepted the message, just in time to be confused by her challenge.

Rubbing his temple he admitted, "I am not used to such games. The ladies of court appear like sweets in the window of the candy store, but I might press my nose to the window to little avail. I've not the highfaluting ways of your Whitehall men, I have not the currency to make a purchase." (though he was trying to talk with the styles of the snobs while saying as much!)

Still, she marched off.

You fuckn imbecile Ambrose, the man cuss'd himself under breath. Yet then seeing her glance back he wondered if he'd gotten her wrong again - was that a look of encouragement? He moved to bow to her, but she'd disappeared into the stable.

With a perplexed sigh the Lieutenant turned, and headed back to Knightsbridge,replaying the situation, trying to think what he could have done differently. His bid of ribald and blunt had insulted, and then his daring had injured her greater still - but her parting remark did not seem like she wanted him to shut up and do nothing.

Lud, what did the woman, any woman, want? He rather doubted the answer to that would ever be Himself, so generally felt pretty shitty for a few hours. Some time at shooting practice helped. Lunch at the Red Lion restored his spirits. Then by evening he was ready to consider revised attempts.

Archived